PVE DPS: Vanguard or Guardian

mykaelmjr

Hello all,

I leveled both of these classes for the storyline and love the lore behind both. I left for a few months and have recently come back. I am no longer required to tank for my ops team and have been given the opportunity to dps. I was wondering which class pulls ahead and which brings more for an Ops team. I understand that vanguards had some of their ranged attacks reduced to 10m, which shouldn't matter since the class plays in melee anyway. Which class is better for dps?

Both are viable so play whatever one is more fun.

If you're after pure DPS numbers I believe VG pulls ahead but the Assault rotation is a little stale in a protracted fight. Heaps of fun for short encounters though. Tactics rotation feels much more fluid and intuitive but the DPS is a bit lower.

Among other issues, one significant problem with both is the lack of a reliable threat dump. The Guardian has an on-damage threat dump, but that alone makes it somewhat unreliable. The Vanguard has none.

I've run with pyros and juggs, mostly guys coming straight out of PvP, and they can be very, very good, even when undergeared vis-a-vis other members of the ops group. They bring utility/damage increases that can be very helpful.

The threat issue raises its head on the most difficult content where every ounce of DPS needs to be squeezed out. Dumping threat on CD, or close to it, is the sign of good DPS and practically a requirement if your tank makes a mistake. Without that function, the classes just aren't what they could/should be.