Easiest way to record gameplay

Kurj

All I want to do is see my play so I can decode my bad habits more effectively, no intention to stream. What's the quickest/easiest way to do that? My rig is decent but nothing special, and I don't know what features are essential/helpful to do this.

Do you have a newer invidia graphics card? I run shadow play and that works well.

I've got a 1050 Ti, and I checked and the nvidia program for it has that. I will give that a try, thanks a ton.

I've got a 1050 Ti, and I checked and the nvidia program for it has that. I will give that a try, thanks a ton.

I think everything GTX650 or higher gets shadowplay which I think is now called share. The program itself is called GeForce Experience. The default keybind to bring it up is alt z

LoL! Bob is awesome... always thinking outside the box. :p

Literally, with the box being your PC :p

About GeForce experience, I also recommend it as a very nice recording and screenshoting method. Though note it sometimes has really random bugs which require you to restart it. For example, currently, I can record as much as I wish until I make 1 screenshot. Geforce will save the screenshot but then silently disappear and will not record or screenshot anymore unless I manually reactivate it (takes 5 secs, but annoying if you wish to start recording just as the match beings and then realize it doesn't work). I had this problem before but a patch made it disappear. The last patch made it reappear, oh well...

All I want to do is see my play so I can decode my bad habits more effectively, no intention to stream. What's the quickest/easiest way to do that? My rig is decent but nothing special, and I don't know what features are essential/helpful to do this.

I'd recommend OBS - Link Here

It's really easy to set up and there are millions of youtube videos to help you if you get stuck. Feel free to drop by the stream sometime if you're having difficulty and I'll try and walk you through it.

You can also use that program to broadcast to a streaming service like twitch.tv if you want to. My whole journey into streaming started because I didn't have enough hard drive space to record things locally so I streamed them and then had the broadcasts archived on twitch so I could record them without having to buy a new storage drive.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions (both helpful and otherwise :)) and offers of help, very much appreciated. I went with the NVidia program, because it seems like the fastest/easiest way to get going.

For anyone else who is interested, here are some tips for getting this up and running. The documentation/forums are pretty sketchy, and I went through a lot of trial and error before I was done:

1. Make sure your Nvidia driver is the most current. If it isn't, GeForce Experience (that's what they call this thing now) will keep re-installing itself but won't work. (This step accounted for the majority of my time spent :o)

2. Make sure you enable "experimental beta features," or none of the recording options will work. It's a checkbox on the home page of the program interface.

3. Make sure you enable the "streaming" features, because the recording options rely on a client service called "nvidia streaming client", even if you're not going to stream, and the program won't launch that unless you enable streaming features. I found 2 places to do this, and toggled both of them since I didn't know which one would work and had already rebooted my computer more times than I will admit. There is one on the program interface itself, under the "Shield" tab (the tabs are on the left side of the interface, and "Shield" is what Nvidia calls their streaming platform). And, there is one on the in-game overlay under the "Stream" tab. If I had to take a guess, I'd say the toggle in the program interface is the key one.

4. I had to close the program and start it again after I figured out how to get the beta and streaming features enabled. The recording options wouldn't work before I did that. My guess is that the program will only launch the streaming client when you launch the program.

5. Edit: The toggle for GeForce Experience's in-game overlay (Alt + Z) is also the toggle for the UI in SWTOR's interface. Unbind or re-assign SWTOR's UI toggle to avoid turning your in-game UI off/on when you access the GeForce in-game overlay. That will let you avoid the following issue: Turning off the user-interface toggles off the SWTOR UI sometimes, whether you use the hotkey (alt + Z) or click the "x" in the top right corner. The fastest way to get it back up is to hit alt + z twice more (i.e., bring it back up and shut it down again). Hitting Ctrl + U twice works too, but that takes a lot longer because it reloads your UI. I can't detect any pattern as to what causes this, but it's pretty easy to fix on the fly.

Here's to shattering illusions :eek:

Edited by Kurj

btw as far as i know it is better to stream online and re-watch it later than to record it on your local PC. This will bring much less stress (CPU / GPU / data writing speed) on your PC. And with fairly new GPU or CPU it almost free thanks to hardware processing. Of course, if this is important to you. Edited by Glower

btw as far as i know it is better to stream online and re-watch it later than to record it on your local PC. This will bring much less stress (CPU / GPU / data writing speed) on your PC. And with fairly new GPU or CPU it almost free thanks to hardware processing. Of course, if this is important to you.

Thank you for pointing that out. I am going to give OBS a go as well and see how much streaming pushes the limits of my limited technical skills.

Also, I will edit the above post to be clear, but there is a very easy solution to the alt+z issue I mentioned above: just unbind alt+z as the hotkey to toggle interface in SWTOR's keybindings. Like I said, limited technical skills.

btw as far as i know it is better to stream online and re-watch it later than to record it on your local PC. This will bring much less stress (CPU / GPU / data writing speed) on your PC. And with fairly new GPU or CPU it almost free thanks to hardware processing. Of course, if this is important to you.

Well, since kurj mentions also giving OBS a go, I'll just add that I record to HD with OBS. I haven't done any measures of FPS, but as anecdotal evidence (worth every penny you paid! :p ) I have noticed zero difference in game play between when I'm recording and when I'm not. This is my rig:

Intel Core i7-4710HQ @ 2.5 GHz

16 GB ram

GeForce GTX 970M

Windows 8.1

Shadowplay almost has zero impact on your gpu and doesn't even hit your cpu. Even on low settings the video quality looks like high quality and a 15 minute video is barely a few hundred MB's.

People hate on geforce experience all the time, but I'm not bothered by it at all and I think shadowplay (or "share" now, whatever you wanna call it) is fantastic.

Thanks for all of the further suggestions. I played around with OBS and it is very straightforward, but it's hard to beat GeForce Share's ease of use. Alt + F9 starts recording and stops it, and that's literally all you have to do. I haven't noticed any effect on system performance, so for now I will stick with it. Although, as Snave mentioned, storage space will probably lead me to stream eventually anyways. Edited by Kurj