SWTOR: Annihilation(New Novel)

BrandonSM

A New Novel is taking place right after this game and is based around Theron Shan.

The Sith Empire is in flux. The Emperor is missing, presumed dead, and an ambitious Sith lord’s attempt to seize the throne has ended fatally. Still, Darth Karrid, commander of the fearsome Imperial battle cruiser Ascendant Spear, continues her relentless efforts to achieve total Sith domination of the galaxy.

But Karrid’s ruthless determination is more than matched in the steely resolve of Theron Shan, whose unfinished business with the Empire could change the course of the war for good. Though the son of a Jedi master, Theron does not wield the Force—but like his renowned mother, the spirit of rebellion is in his blood. As a top covert agent for the Republic, he struck a crucial blow against the Empire by exposing and destroying a Sith superweapon arsenal—which makes him the ideal operative for a daring and dangerous mission to end Ascendant Spear’s reign of terror.

Joined by hot-headed smuggler Teff’ith, with whom he has an inexplicable bond, and wise Jedi warrior Gnost-Dural, Darth Karrid’s former master, Theron must match wits and weapons with a battle-tested crew of the most cold-blooded dark side disciples. But time is brutally short. And if they don’t seize their one chance to succeed, they will surely have countless opportunities to die..

Best Part is... wait for it.... Its written by Drew Karpshyn.

P.S. Not sure if it was already posted or what. And I apologize if it was.

Here is the wookieepedia link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic:_Annihilation

Edited by BrandonSM

The only reason I may read it, is because of Gnost Dural... I liked his voice in the timeline videos..

But undoubtedly the Publisher Summary is only half the book and the other half will be Drew talking about how awesome he thinks Revan is..

*cough* Path of Destruction *cough* *cough*

Edited by BrandonSM

The only reason I may read it, is because of Gnost Dural... I liked his voice in the timeline videos..

But undoubtedly the Publisher Summary is only half the book and the other half will be Drew talking about how awesome he thinks Revan is..

Wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

Like we need to guess.

Oh and here is something for some SERIOUS lols:

Me: When writing the novel 'Revan', exactly what process did you go through

with the Exile? or rather Meetra Surik as we now know. I know a lot of

disheartened Exile fans who felt rather cheated by the ending of the novel

and the very small appearances made by her in SWTOR.

We knew a few things about the Exile's past, her as a person and we even know, thanks to some source-books her powers: Force Whirlwind, Sever Force, Force Enlightenment, etc.... I am just wondering how come her truly canon powers never made any appearance in the novel and also why you seemed to make Revan out as the more powerful of the two, despite him being in a weakened state. Thanks.

DK: One thing to keep in mind is that powers as depicted in a video game don't

translate well to novels or film - an author has to take artisitic license

with things to make them fit the medium.

Beyond this, I don't really know what to tell you. I'm not even sure what

powers you're referring to specifically. In any case, I don't like to get

into arguments or defenses of my work via e-mail - the work stands on it's

own. I did what I did because I felt it was right for the project I was

working on. Some people accept that, others don't - not much I can do to

change people's minds.

I do talk about the fan reaction to Revan in a number of my older blog

posts - go back to the stuff around the time the novel came out if you

really want to see my opinions on it.

Drew

So anyone who had doubts about whether he'd actually done any research on the Exile to a meaningful standard....

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Like we need to guess.

Oh and here is something for some SERIOUS lols:

Me: When writing the novel 'Revan', exactly what process did you go through

with the Exile? or rather Meetra Surik as we now know. I know a lot of

disheartened Exile fans who felt rather cheated by the ending of the novel

and the very small appearances made by her in SWTOR.

We knew a few things about the Exile's past, her as a person and we even know, thanks to some source-books her powers: Force Whirlwind, Sever Force, Force Enlightenment, etc.... I am just wondering how come her truly canon powers never made any appearance in the novel and also why you seemed to make Revan out as the more powerful of the two, despite him being in a weakened state. Thanks.

DK: One thing to keep in mind is that powers as depicted in a video game don't

translate well to novels or film - an author has to take artisitic license

with things to make them fit the medium.

Beyond this, I don't really know what to tell you. I'm not even sure what

powers you're referring to specifically. In any case, I don't like to get

into arguments or defenses of my work via e-mail - the work stands on it's

own. I did what I did because I felt it was right for the project I was

working on. Some people accept that, others don't - not much I can do to

change people's minds.

I do talk about the fan reaction to Revan in a number of my older blog

posts - go back to the stuff around the time the novel came out if you

really want to see my opinions on it.

Drew

So anyone who had doubts about whether he'd actually done any research on the Exile to a meaningful standard....

In other words, he has no excuse and he didn't do any research at all as to the characters he was going to write about other than Revan. Gee... where have we seen that before...?

The things he says is true. Most powers you see in games are just game mecanics that is not in any way canon.

Just like the all powerful Raid bosses you need 16 man to take down, just game mecanics. The novels around the game are the only thing about the game along with the mayor NPC characters that is canon.

And remember Revan was a champion Jedi, the Exile was not.She was strong in the force nothing more.

The things he says is true. Most powers you see in games are just game mecanics that is not in any way canon.

Just like the all powerful Raid bosses you need 16 man to take down, just game mecanics. The novels around the game are the only thing about the game along with the mayor NPC characters that is canon.

And remember Revan was a champion Jedi, the Exile was not.She was strong in the force nothing more.

He was wrong though, her abilities weren't taken from Game Mechanics, they were taken from the KotOR Sourcebook, he failed to research that, simple.

Oh and Anakin Skywalker was viewed as the champion of the Order in his day by the masses, does that make him most powerful? no, not even close.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

Drew was one of the lead writers behind KoTOR and largely responsible for the character and story of Darth Revan. On the other hand, he was not involved in KoTOR2, and did not create the Jedi Exile.

As he says, video games and books don't always translate well with eachother. You can blame him for making realistic believable characters instead of force charged demi-gods with infinite lives. But then again, I could blame every author who has ever mentioned Kyle Katarn and didn't have him loaded with 9 guns, and blasting balls of Force Destruction at people, or turning completely invisible.

Drew was one of the lead writers behind KoTOR and largely responsible for the character and story of Darth Revan. On the other hand, he was not involved in KoTOR2, and did not create the Jedi Exile.

As he says, video games and books don't always translate well with eachother. You can blame him for making realistic believable characters instead of force charged demi-gods with infinite lives. But then again, I could blame every author who has ever mentioned Kyle Katarn and didn't have him loaded with 9 guns, and blasting balls of Force Destruction at people, or turning completely invisible.

Yes but book to book, is an entirely different scenario.

Yes but book to book, is an entirely different scenario.
It's a source book however, not a novel. It's still a game, although not one of the video variety. I think his case still stands.

In my opinion, however, as a big fan of the exile and kotor 2, even if he had included things such as her force powers, it would not have significantly improved her portion of the story. She was in the book for the sake of tying together loose ends in the canon. I don't think it was done well, but I understand that was her purpose. It's Revan's book, and as important as she may be to his story, it's still his story.

It also doesn't destroy any canon. As bad as his summaries of kotor 2 were, they do not override its canon. If you read his blog posts on the issue you would know that.