George Lucas writing/directing an expansion.

XKone

I saw the interview of George Lucas recently where he said he would make no more new Star Wars movies and I became very sad.

I was wondering what are the chances that he can come work with Bioware to make his own expansion for ToR?

The next project that Lucas will work on is the live action TV series, he's got 50 episodes written and ready, just waiting for the technology to be there to get them made in the $1 million range (about the price for shows like Game of Thrones and Spartacus), but he also doesn't want to give up control to the likes of HBO (not that it would be necessarily a BAD thing from a production stand point)

Good heavens I hope not. He's a terrible writer (and a mediocre director) and he proved that time and again with his ill-fated attempt to channel Joseph Campbell's seminal work on hero mythology.

We don't need him anywhere closer than he already is to this game. Seriously. Keep him away from it.

The next project that Lucas will work on is the live action TV series, he's got 50 episodes written and ready, just waiting for the technology to be there to get them made in the $1 million range (about the price for shows like Game of Thrones and Spartacus), but he also doesn't want to give up control to the likes of HBO (not that it would be necessarily a BAD thing from a production stand point)

That sounds interesting. I thought Willow was a great story and movie too. I wonder if it will be like that one.

And if you thought folks complained about the writing now...

Han Solo about to be Frozen in Carbonite, Harrison Ford bites his tongue...

Leia: I love you.

Han: I love you too.

No, just no.

+1 to 'absolutely no <CENSORED> way'.

An enterprising young man once took The Phantom Menace and selectively edited out all the scenes with Jar Jar Binks in it (when he did appear, it was as if he was an inconsequential minor presence). And then he made his one huge mistake - he started to sell copies of it. George Lucas shut him down fast (and I admit, rightly so). Thing of it is, almost to a person, anyone who saw the edited version said it vastly improved the movie, to the point where many said it was 'decent'. I looked to see if it was possible to get a copy, but alas, anyone who has one is (not surprisingly) holding tightly to it.

George rightly deserves the accolades of having given us the Star Wars universe - but most of the really memorable stuff - Ford's improv, Zahn's novels, etc - have been because of others. This really is a case of the creator needing to rest on his laurels and let others pick up the torch.

Edited by Aebrynis

You guys do realize that he wrote Star Wars right? He's also written many of the Clone Wars episodes. He's already written stories for the TV series. Lucas has had his hits and misses, but overall he's a damn good job. I'll agree he's not a stellar director, but the prequel trilogy was good, despite its shortcomings. Episode III is second only to the Empire Strikes Back. Seriously people, be grateful. Jar Jar and a couple of awkward romance scenes aren't enough to ruin a good series. Bioware writers themselves have proven to be rather good writing awkward and cheesy love scenes. Have you seen Dragon Age?

I totally agree GusVIII.

George Lucas would do a great job on an expansion. He'd fill it with interesting characters, settings, themes. He'd ask for big bang special effects too I bet, and that'd be a sight to see.

With playtesting, he and the guys at Bioware could get the feedback necessary to keep him focused too.

He basically said in the interview that he wouldn't make another Star Wars movie cause of all the nasty, disrepectful (my words) criticism he got from Eps. 1-3. And that makes me sad. :( Cause he created many blockbusters, and the people criticizing him can't even write a short story.

Also I thought the love scenes were fine, the characters were both disassociated with how people are supposed to naturally engage in romance as a result of their stations and societies. It made sense that it was awkward. It was a classical representation of such romances from medivial periods when royalties' emotions were confined and they had to explore passion with their minds and not allowed to trust their feelings.

Edited by XKone

You guys do realize that he wrote Star Wars right? He's also written many of the Clone Wars episodes.

george lucas wrote a new hope, lawrence kasdan and leigh brackett wrote empire strikes back, and kasdan and lucas wrote jedi. all three prequels were written lucas (with another credited person on clones) - also none of this accounts for ghost writers.

notice a pattern?

george lucas wrote a new hope, lawrence kasdan and leigh brackett wrote empire strikes back, and kasdan and lucas wrote jedi. all three prequels were written lucas (with another credited person on clones) - also none of this accounts for ghost writers.

notice a pattern?

Lucas wrote the story and Kasdan and Brackett wrote the screenplay for that story. Lucas wrote all of the stories, even if he didn't write all of the screenplays, they were still his brain childs. Empire was the best of the bunch and Revenge of the Sith is right behind it. Lucas wrote and directed RotS himself, other than a couple instances of iffy dialogue, that movie was flawless. Also, what ghost writers? The only time I've heard of him using a ghost writer was for the novelization of A New Hope. What are peoples opinions on Attack of the Clones? It was an awesome movie.

The only Lucas movie that I have seen that I truly didn't like was Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And that's more due to the fact that Spielberg cast Shia LaBeouf as Indy's son. He might as well have gotten Justin Bieber.

It pisses me off that we may never see a sequel trilogy just because of bunch of whiny, knit picky fans.

On a final note, Katie Lucas. I'd also love to see her write something for swtor. She did a masterful job writing the Savage Opress storyline.

Good heavens I hope not. He's a terrible writer (and a mediocre director) and he proved that time and again with his ill-fated attempt to channel Joseph Campbell's seminal work on hero mythology.

We don't need him anywhere closer than he already is to this game. Seriously. Keep him away from it.

Wow, show some respect. If it wasn't for him this game wouldn't even exist. His IP, therefore he and Star Wars are connected.

Wow, show some respect. If it wasn't for him this game wouldn't even exist. His IP, therefore he and Star Wars are connected.

Just because you think a person has done a poor job doesn't mean you disrespect them as a person. I respect Gene Roddenberry for creating Star Trek, but between the original series and TNG he became surrounded by people who thought he could do no wrong, and the studio gave him enormous latitude to do whatever he wanted. The first two seasons of TNG are way, way, way worse because of it.

This is pretty much the same thing as the prequel trilogies: Lucas did his best work when he was forced to work with others, had oversight to cull his worst ideas, and needed to work with a team. Between RotJ and TPM, though, he bought into his own press, and the studio let him do whatever he wanted. As a result, the quality of the prequel films is notably lower, as it usually is when a director is also the writer and gets free reign to do whatever he wants.