Bioware offers very few cosmetic options compared to what they should

Verain

If you're a lightsaber guy, this game has a ton of options for cosmetics- you have a bunch of really cool hilts, each one has a sound effect, you have thin bright blades or large diffuse ones... there's a bunch.

For gun users, there's great choices too. Probably not quite as cool as the lightsabers, but at the very least, they are in the ballpark. Different types of weapons, large and visible, cool effects on them, etc.

Since every character in this game uses either a lightsaber or a gun, you'd be forgiven for assuming that they are doing a great job. I'm going to argue they are doing a merely adequate job on this, and here's why:

Tech healers cannot change their little remote controls that heal people.

Animations as a result of these can't be upgraded or changed either.

"Secondary" weapons, such as shivs and shotguns, are not customizable.

ALL of these should be able to be customized in some manner, but NONE of them are. If you're a scoundrel, you can trick out your blaster, but it's almost entirely decorative- you don't use it in your animation the way a force user uses their lightsaber. If you are specced healing, you have a little remote control (belonging to a class of utilities that I don't even know the name for, but clearly these kolto devices exist, require training, and are powerful in combat) that hasn't changed since the game launched, and you diddlefiddle with this generic thing constantly. I think you summon a floating hat, and the hat stabs your friend, and then they glow green and heal. Agents make a little robot that aggressively vapes near your friends and shows off its cool vaping skills.

I think that almost all of these frequently-cast effects should have more than one version, cosmetically speaking. These could be tied to the "remote control" cosmetic you have "equipped", or their own thing entirely, or whatever.

Likewise, I think we were told long ago that because the shivs and shotguns are part of the animations, they can't be changed. My answer to that is, you know you can change that if you really care. There's a lot to be gained for everyone involved in the game with some animation customization (as long as said animations don't confuse things in pvp), and the ones in question are pretty important to allowing characters to make customizations that are relevant for their spec and rol.

Edited by Verain