Question 2

Malrus

Are the book adaptations of the movies the same grade cannon as the movies or the same grade as any other star wars novel.

Because I read somewhere that in the movie just before Dooku died George Lucas had more dialogue planned for him where he was begging palpatine for his life, but Christopher Lee spoke to George and they both agreed that it would be out of Dooku's character for him to beg for his life. Whereas Dooku is shown to be begging for his life in the novel adaptation. But I'm not certain of this since I haven't read the ROTS novel yet.

Edited by Malrus

This might help with any questions you have regarding canon

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.

T-canon[4] refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.

C-canon is primarily composed of elements from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks are a special case; the stories and general background information are themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay are, with few exceptions, N-canon. S-canon is secondary canon; the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes things like the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N-canon is non-canon. "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), crossover appearances (such as the Star Wars character appearances in Soulcalibur IV), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. A significant amount of material that was previously C-canon was rendered N-canon by the release of Episodes I–III

They are NOT fully G-canon!!!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

"Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon, though anything created by the authors of those sources is C-canon."

Yes they are, if you look at what you posted.

Elements originating with Lucas] in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon.

The novels are based off the scripts of the movies, so therefore they had elements originating from Lucas therefore they are fully G-canon.

Yes they are, if you look at what you posted.

Elements originating with Lucas] in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon.

The novels are based off the scripts of the movies, so therefore they had elements originating from Lucas therefore they are fully G-canon.

a little bit off topic (sorry)

did the scripts come before the novels then?

a little bit off topic (sorry)

did the scripts come before the novels then?

Ya it goes

script < novel = movie

I am taking a guess, that while the movie is in production that the novel is being written as well. So that is why, there are a few differences with the novels(along with little tid bits of the author's imagination) and it being released before the movie is.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yes they are

No!

if you look at what you posted.

As a matter of fact I do. It is you who don't look at what is being posted

By saying "Yes they are" to comment about them being fully G-canon you are saying they are fully G-canon, which they are not.

(Fully G-canon = 100% G-canon = there is not even one word in those books that is not G-canon)

If that were the case then there would not even be need for this statement:

"though anything created by the authors of those sources is C-canon."

Which you completely ignored.

and you don't even seem to get what this means:

Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon.

As even this part of the quote alone contradicts your claim about them being fully G-cannon.

Elements originating with Lucas are G-canon = Elements that don't originate with Lucas are not G-canon

That's just wrong.

Now go back and read this:

"Elements originating with Lucas in the movie novelizations, reference books, and other sources are also G-canon, though anything created by the authors of those sources is C-canon."

Again:

And one more time:

Those books have both elements originated by Lucas and elements created by the authors of those books (which even if they were the lesser part, are still there). Therefore they are partially G-canon and partially C-cannon.

That which is partially G-canon and partially C-cannon, is not fully G-canon.

I have an 80mm Canon for ya. G-Canon is top tier. What happens in the movies is Law. No matter how stupidly written it is.

T-Canon is next in line, since George and George's family have a lot of input into TCW.

G and T comprise George's vision of Star Wars.

C and S comprise the vision of LL that goes beyond George's vision. Unfortunately, they must still comply with everything George says.

The Original Jedi Code? George didn't like it. It's gone. Wookiee Jedi? George didn't like it. No more Wookiee Jedi after Lowbacca. Vibroswords stopping lightsabers? George hated it. It's gone. The list goes on and on. Darth Ruin? He's GEORGE's first Sith Lord. Does that retcon Golden Age or the other Tales of the Jedi? Unknown at this time. Splinter group is my theory until such time as we have clarification.

And here's some "heresy" for you. There has been at least one instance where C-Canon has overridden G-Canon. Leland Chee himself has confirmed this.

No Eternal the movie novelizations are G-canon, theres several other people on here that will tell you that. The novels themselves are pretty much the movies, with very few differences in them like all novels that are based on movies. Why would the movie novelizations, that are based on the stories that GL wrote for each movie be C-canon?

Wookiepedia quote: Early scripts of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith had additional dialogue during Dooku's death scene, after his wrists had been sliced off. Some of the cut portions of this scene can be seen in the Episode III novel and the comic adaptation. Some of this dialogue was removed because Christopher Lee felt that it was out of character for Dooku to beg Sidious for his life, and George Lucas ended up agreeing with him.

This is what I was referring to. Are these early scripts G cannon. It says that they didn't add them because they decided it didn't fit with the Dooku character, but it also says that some of the dialogue was in the novel.

I'm assuming that the dialogue that says it in the book isn't G cannon since Lucas decided he didn't feel that it went with the Dooku character.

Wookiepedia quote: Early scripts of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith had additional dialogue during Dooku's death scene, after his wrists had been sliced off. Some of the cut portions of this scene can be seen in the Episode III novel and the comic adaptation. Some of this dialogue was removed because Christopher Lee felt that it was out of character for Dooku to beg Sidious for his life, and George Lucas ended up agreeing with him.

This is what I was referring to. Are these early scripts G cannon. It says that they didn't add them because they decided it didn't fit with the Dooku character, but it also says that some of the dialogue was in the novel.

I'm assuming that the dialogue that says it in the book isn't G cannon since Lucas decided he didn't feel that it went with the Dooku character.

As far as I know, the novelizations are still G-Canon, unless something contradicts what happens onscreen. Deleted scenes that contradict other scenes in the movie are no longer Canon, for example.

Edited by Captain_Zone

As far as I know, the novelizations are still G-Canon, unless something contradicts what happens onscreen. Deleted scenes that contradict other scenes in the movie are no longer Canon, for example.

But surely if George doesn't like it it isn't counted as G-cannon

But surely if George doesn't like it it isn't counted as G-cannon

scenes don't get cut because George doesn't like them. They can be cut for many different reasons like pacing, time constraints, or even special effects. Remember the original Jaba the Hutt scene in ANH was cut because they didn't have the time to do the special effects for Jaba and so all the information in that scene was put in the Greedo scene.

But now he has come back and added that scene back in.

There is a scene for A New Hope where Luke watches the battle between the Blockade Runner and the SD. He then goes inside and talks to his friends including Wedge. That scene was cut for pacing reasons but it's still canon.

For the most part there aren't that many cut scenes.

There is a scene for A New Hope where Luke watches the battle between the Blockade Runner and the SD. He then goes inside and talks to his friends including Wedge. That scene was cut for pacing reasons but it's still canon.

There is no such scene with Wedge.

The cut scene has Luke talking to Biggs before the latter goes off to his first assignment and subsequently defects to the Alliance..

scenes don't get cut because George doesn't like them. They can be cut for many different reasons like pacing, time constraints, or even special effects. Remember the original Jaba the Hutt scene in ANH was cut because they didn't have the time to do the special effects for Jaba and so all the information in that scene was put in the Greedo scene.

No, I said it was part of a script. What I am saying is they rewrote parts for the script but the parts that were cut from the script were in the novel. So technically the parts that were taken out of the script don't exist. So in my eyes it isn't even counted as cannon. I just thought it might be a mind boggler for some people.

Edited by Malrus

Biggs. Not Wedge.

There is no such scene with Wedge.

The cut scene has Luke talking to Biggs before the latter goes off to his first assignment and subsequently defects to the Alliance..

you know what i meant.

I mixed up one generic character for another.

No, I said it was part of a script. What I am saying is they rewrote parts for the script but the parts that were cut from the script were in the novel. So technically the parts that were taken out of the script don't exist. So in my eyes it isn't even counted as cannon. I just thought it might be a mind boggler for some people.

the film is the final version.

An example of this would be Shaak Ti

Originally she was suppsoed to die in ROTS. There are actually 2 different versions of her death. One was only in the script where Vader kills her in the Jedi Temple and the other was actually filmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l-44bYXlxE

Even though its a deleted scene it's not canon and thank god it's just an awful scene. Lucas's horrible writting at its worst.

the film is the final version.

An example of this would be Shaak Ti

Originally she was suppsoed to die in ROTS. There are actually 2 different versions of her death. One was only in the script where Vader kills her in the Jedi Temple and the other was actually filmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l-44bYXlxE

Even though its a deleted scene it's not canon and thank god it's just an awful scene. Lucas's horrible writting at its worst.

Exactly so I am right in saying that this extra dialogue in the book isn't canon since it was cut from the script because George decided he didn't like it.

what dialogue are you referring to?