Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

t_euclidus
01.14.2017 , 12:14 PM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by ENVISIONocity View Post
I don't think there is a way to do what you are describing, but I'm with you— if someone knows how to do this, I want to know, too!

The closest solution I know of is that we are able to setup a secondary tier of commands on one of the primary toolbars. The one I'm referring to has tiny up-down triangles at the right of it, and you can switch between (1) and (2) on that toolbar.
Yeah, unfortunately... Without a way to save that, the prevailing wisdom seems to be putting non-spec-specific abilities on bar 2 and leaving bar 1 empty to autopopulate with specced abilities when you change spec. Then you can quickly rearrange those to suit. It's not optimal, but SWTOR has gone out of its way to avoid backlash from former WoW or Rift players over automating too much of the game process. (It's why we still don't have mouseover macros for healing.)
Founder | Jedi Covenant | The Quickfingers Legacy

craggy
02.07.2017 , 07:20 PM | #272
Everyone still going?
Got my Sorcerer to lvl 70 tonight. The xp boost definitely helped on those last 2 levels! Still playing her through the Shadow of Revan story, as Flashpoints aside, this is my first taste of that expansion. Liking it a lot.
Probably going to be taking advantage of the boost to experience some of the other class stories. And my boosted lvl 70 Knight has Star Fortress stuff I just recently discovered, so I'll run her through some of that for the CXP probably. Last week I even teamed for a short while doing the Rakgoul missions on Alderaan. I wasn't the best but we got through it all fairly quickly.
Okay, how about everyone puts their in a bowl....?

Referral Link

Dawgtide
02.08.2017 , 12:33 AM | #273
Quote: Originally Posted by ENVISIONocity View Post
I wanted to take a few moments to update my fellow casuals and other interested readers that I am in the process of completing the Ilum SWTORYline, which, I think, will complete the Classic SWTORy before I move on to Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

I'm presently at a total playtime of just over 2 Days, 22 hours, and 19mins.

Being on vacation has helped shorten that up, because normally I'm able to get in an hour or so of SWTOR a day, and I've been playing around 2-3 hours per day. I have been sticking with the Class SWTORy and the Planetary Arcs, with a smattering of Heroic Missions during the progression to 50 or so, and landed some remarkable greens that I couldn't improve on until I just yesterday reached level 65 gear. I passed on better gear when it meant that I would be wearing a different chest or leg piece, and made up the difference with the stab buffs.

After gearing up with 65 armor modifications, I proceeded to muck up my hotbar commands and ended up wasting most of Ilum trying to put things back where they were. I still haven't got it right for my muscle memory, but I think I've managed to at least find something that vaguely resembles what it was. Duh me!!

I'm progressing through Ilum in Story Mode, I guess it's called. I am able to summon a Terminobot to act like two more companions rolled into one. It feels long, but I wonder if that's because it has been so long (no pun intended) since I ran Ilum. Sort of the "Are we there yet?" conundrum when driving someplace new feels the longest that first drive there.

I mean, it's definitely been a long time since I've been to Ilum. Like waaaaaaay back. My usual modus operandi is to run an alt through their Class story, and stop there, only going on into Rise of the Hutt and Shadow or Revan, what? twice, maybe?

I wish I could explain why I am so satisfied with everything in Classic SWTOR, or why I've been disinclined to go the full distance. Classic just has everything I enjoy in an online game, I guess. I don't group with others, but always find it interesting to have all these players running around me as I progress through the Star Wars galaxy— throwing a haphazard buff where I can get lucky enough to click on a person.

But back to the task on-hand: Ilum, as I watch this alt become the first to go to the end of the available SWTORy.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.
See above what I put in yellow.

You are not the only one that is this way. That is what I do. I play all 8 at once planet by planet through Corellia and stop. I have been trying to make a chronology for everything in the 8 class stories. I am on my last run to fill my 40 characters on Jedi Covenant. So, I am going to start anew on Shadowlands next due to you guys and gals in this thread.

The funny thing is usually I burn out and want to go play the Dragon Age games or even have fun in some classic Everquest, but having too much fun in my casual class story quests in SWTOR these days.
My Crew: * Dielika - Mercenary * Horris - Commando * Tideford - Shadow * Jadefaith - Sniper * Railroad - Guardian * Forestry - Sorcerer * Meagan - Scoundrel * Domenica - Juggarnaut * Chevtex - Gunslinger * Croyle - Powertech * Deere - Marauder * Athahara - Sentinel * Soh Yeon - Sage * Claudia'jo - Assassin * Kyttiara - Vanguard * Staffurd - Operative

PallyHk
02.08.2017 , 02:23 AM | #274
As a part time subscriber and alt-loving casual, I certainly wish that we were treated better by this game.

The current CXP boost is great, my two mains got to Command Level 25 until now with me playing a few heroics every day for it. Please keep it forever!

Second, let us get unassembled components from doing any content. Flashpoints, Uprisings, Heroics, all of it!

ENVISIONocity
02.09.2017 , 05:40 AM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by craggy View Post
Everyone still going?
Got my Sorcerer to lvl 70 tonight. The xp boost definitely helped on those last 2 levels! Still playing her through the Shadow of Revan story, as Flashpoints aside, this is my first taste of that expansion. Liking it a lot.
Probably going to be taking advantage of the boost to experience some of the other class stories. And my boosted lvl 70 Knight has Star Fortress stuff I just recently discovered, so I'll run her through some of that for the CXP probably. Last week I even teamed for a short while doing the Rakgoul missions on Alderaan. I wasn't the best but we got through it all fairly quickly.
Hi there, craggy!

Yep, I'm still working my way through the "new" content offered by the GC expansion. There have been some fantastic moments, and I'm looking forward to bringing a Republic alt through it to cover the light side, as well as a character who will tend to play both sides at their own convenience. Not sure yet what classes either will be, so I am open to suggestions to consider (no spoilers, please!).

My current character just finished one of the two puzzzle segments of the story that had me pretty puzzled for a while there, but it was nice to have my brains tested instead of my button-mashing reflexes. Okay, I used the Hint ability all the way through it, and am pretty sure I might never have did things in the sequence they needed to. Thank you for the Hints button, Bioware, or I'd have gotten too discouraged... and for making the hints just vague enough that I still needed to figure some things out.

Spoiler

The way I figure it, the time it's taking me as a casual player who also happens to be a Founder who's been solidly subscribing since SWTOR began, I will forget most of the adventure I've been on with the expansions so my next two runs will be new, lol! (Apart from the significant moments, of course, which serve as pivotal moments— and yes, there are some choices I look forward to choosing differently on my next play-through, as I've stuck to dark side choices for this first play-through.

Damask_Rose
02.09.2017 , 06:12 AM | #276
Quote: Originally Posted by PallyHk View Post
As a part time subscriber and alt-loving casual, I certainly wish that we were treated better by this game.

The current CXP boost is great, my two mains got to Command Level 25 until now with me playing a few heroics every day for it. Please keep it forever!

Second, let us get unassembled components from doing any content. Flashpoints, Uprisings, Heroics, all of it!
I hear you on that! My skills are average at best (keyboard turning clicker too stuck in her ways to change), so for the rare occasion that I group up I like to have decent gear to compensate for my shortcomings. I don't have enough mats to craft full 230s, and I swear at least half of my gear drops have been duplicates. Even on command rank 4 alts I'm just as likely to get a duplicate as a needed piece.

Jedi_riches
02.09.2017 , 07:50 AM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by PallyHk View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
I hear you on that! My skills are average at best (keyboard turning clicker too stuck in her ways to change), so for the rare occasion that I group up I like to have decent gear to compensate for my shortcomings. I don't have enough mats to craft full 230s, and I swear at least half of my gear drops have been duplicates. Even on command rank 4 alts I'm just as likely to get a duplicate as a needed piece.
Yes I agree with this also, increase the rate you gain cxp all you like but for many casuals Galactic Command is the only system of gearing we get and the RNG element that kills the raiders and PvP players still kill us, casuals still need a viable way to aim for specific gear.

In fact I think you should be able to get unassembled components for disintegrating the duplicate gear in Galactic command crates. This would also benefit raiders and PvP players as they can gain unassembled components with GC as well.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

ENVISIONocity
02.09.2017 , 08:27 AM | #278
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_riches View Post
Yes I agree with this also, increase the rate you gain cxp all you like but for many casuals Galactic Command is the only system of gearing we get and the RNG element that kills the raiders and PvP players still kill us, casuals still need a viable way to aim for specific gear.

In fact I think you should be able to get unassembled components for disintegrating the duplicate gear in Galactic command crates. This would also benefit raiders and PvP players as they can gain unassembled components with GC as well.
I am at a disadvantage here, as my story experience doesn't or hasn't seemed impacted with the RNG aspects I see continuously raised. I'm not sure what "rank" I even am right now, beyond being level 70 class-wise. My current gear has been more than sufficient to see me through the primary storyline of GC to this point, although I did receive a better set of boots than I've had stats-wise since I was back in the 50s or late 40s, so I swapped it out. I also received a relic that offers the equivalent value as my current relic, but with Alacrity, so I'm just holding onto it. The parts and other miscellany I've disintegrated for the CXP all along because, well, I don't really "get" the GC ranking stuff.

But then, I don't do Operations or PVP, I don't craft because I wouldn't even know how to begin (much less figure out what I'm doing!). I haven't done any Uprisings, and this first time through I'm focusing solely on the primary storyline of GC's expansions--and will be going back to the alerts or whatever they are called, even though it may throw continuity out the window. That's because I want to judge each aspect separately, and this first time especially. Later, I can mingle the two.

About all I understand, given my playing style and interests, is that the RNG element seems to be impacting others' enjoyment of the same game I try to play in my few spare down-times, and that's sad to hear since I've been thoroughly enjoying this noobish play-through.

And yes, although I don't really "get" the whole GC thing, it'd be nice if I could have more in-game time to enjoy this huge CXP increase! I've seen people complain that no matter how much they boost CXP, it's still RNG-- but to my way of thinking, it's the difference between someone giving you 100 lottery tickets and someone giving you 350 of them (oversimplification, but it's just an illustration). Every ticket might be a losing scratch-off, but at least I have better odds of landing a winning scratch-off! Or is that better probability of landing a winning scratch-off?

Did I mention it's all over my head?

craggy
02.13.2017 , 08:16 PM | #279
I've been busy lately. My Jedi Guardian (I suppose she's my main now, since she's the most progressed through the content) has been doing crafting. Which was only mildly interesting until I realised the crafted gear looks different on Dark Side characters from Light Side ones, so now I can make some cool outfits for my Sorcerer!

Also been delving into Star Fortresses as her, at first just for the Legacy gear but the decorations drops are nice too, as I've been trying to make my Coruscant and Dromund Kass places look a bit less spartan compared to my Nar Shadda one. Unlocked all but the three living quarters upstairs for Coruscant I think. Put the two VIP lounge vendor statues outside with a Zakuul fountain on the landing pad. Kinda want the Makeb Gazebo but none on GTN. As my Jedi is an Alliance Commander I've kitted out the first big room as a command centre, with Republic troops, Rusk and Jorgan giving advice to the unnamed cannon fodder and some weapons racks. Funny yo think I'd initially dismissed the Stronghold stuff as pointless fluff, but am actually quite enjoying it now. I guess getting loads of Decorations in packs has helped encourage that. Well done Bioware!

Sold my Senya's Pike and Revan's Mask, which funded a lot of armour set purchases and a few of the more interesting cheaper (I.e. Non-creature) mounts. Got plenty of stuff to go around my alts to make them all feel distinct now.

With the bonus xp boost at the moment I'm wanting to get through some more of the class storylines. So I've started a Knight from scratch. Since my boosted one was full light side, I've decided the new guy will be Dark As Floop! There's no slow build in the DS choices is there? I'm snagging and murdering everyone and I've not even left Typhon yet!

Also worked my way through the Shadow Of Revan arc as my Sorcerer. Really liked Rishi. Gonna have to do that on my Smuggler once I get him through Makeb. Haven't touched Orion, I suppose that should be my next port of call for the Sith, but I'm tempted to go back and do Ilum as she's not been there yet. Kinda want to do it all as her now that she's 70 and sticking to vanilla. I'm earning the CXP but damned if I'm starting KOTFE and losing access to all the other stuff I've yet to do. Mostly levelled her with Class Story and FPs and Heroics. Did the Revanite story on DK and the Dread Masters arc on Belsavis but left a whole lot of stuff for her to go back to.

And I've a Trooper I've been neglecting, and an Agent I just started who's done nothing but the opening cutscenes and went to a Stronghold to try on outfits. And I have an exciting idea for a Bounty Hunter (based on an armour set that looks like the Predator film's titular character) and I kinda fancy using the Unstable Dualsaber I picked up on some character or another...jeez, altaholics anonymous meeting is when?
Okay, how about everyone puts their in a bowl....?

Referral Link

Dawgtide
02.13.2017 , 09:47 PM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by craggy View Post
With the bonus xp boost at the moment I'm wanting to get through some more of the class storylines. So I've started a Knight from scratch. Since my boosted one was full light side, I've decided the new guy will be Dark As Floop! There's no slow build in the DS choices is there? I'm snagging and murdering everyone and I've not even left Typhon yet!

Also worked my way through the Shadow Of Revan arc as my Sorcerer. Really liked Rishi. Gonna have to do that on my Smuggler once I get him through Makeb. Haven't touched Orion, I suppose that should be my next port of call for the Sith, but I'm tempted to go back and do Ilum as she's not been there yet. Kinda want to do it all as her now that she's 70 and sticking to vanilla. I'm earning the CXP but damned if I'm starting KOTFE and losing access to all the other stuff I've yet to do. Mostly levelled her with Class Story and FPs and Heroics. Did the Revanite story on DK and the Dread Masters arc on Belsavis but left a whole lot of stuff for her to go back to.
A Dark Jedi Knight has some of the funniest lines that I have seen in the game. I hope you enjoy it. The Smuggler is the only one I have played through Rishi with. While not long, it was an interesting little side story.
My Crew: * Dielika - Mercenary * Horris - Commando * Tideford - Shadow * Jadefaith - Sniper * Railroad - Guardian * Forestry - Sorcerer * Meagan - Scoundrel * Domenica - Juggarnaut * Chevtex - Gunslinger * Croyle - Powertech * Deere - Marauder * Athahara - Sentinel * Soh Yeon - Sage * Claudia'jo - Assassin * Kyttiara - Vanguard * Staffurd - Operative