Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

ENVISIONocity
01.02.2017 , 01:37 PM | #261
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacob_Cora View Post
My plan for ny holidys was getting higher command levels for several of my characters, but creating 4 new characters has been my true occupation... I'm an addict!
Can I get a witness?!! !!

Me too! In fact, I already have my next alt all set up and rar'ing to go; but I have to be good. If I switch, I won't be back to this one. I may say that I will. Someday. But it will never happen, and I have a starship full of alts as proof.

No, I'm going to stick this through, get a feel for the story as a whole just to experience it in context.

I can't really see me crossing over more than one other alt, though. A Pub for the counter, even though the stories are definitely less open world and more linear, I've noticed since Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

Which I'm okay with because Classic is just my pace as a casual, and offers enough diversity in activities and goals to keep me busy for a long time to go in a galaxy far, far away.

Parane
01.02.2017 , 02:18 PM | #262
This thread is what makes the SWTOR community stand head and shoulder above any other. I've been around since the game launched, but haven't started to play the game properly until last month. Everywhere I go, I meet friendly people who gets you orientated without any hassle.
Playing on: Harbinger and Red Eclipse <-- R.I.P

ENVISIONocity
01.03.2017 , 09:19 AM | #263
Quote: Originally Posted by Parane View Post
This thread is what makes the SWTOR community stand head and shoulder above any other. I've been around since the game launched, but haven't started to play the game properly until last month. Everywhere I go, I meet friendly people who gets you orientated without any hassle.
Oh wow! What motivated you to start playing the game "properly," Parane? And what server are you on? Several of us are Shadowlanders, it seems.

And how does one define "properly" anyhow?

ENVISIONocity
01.03.2017 , 09:29 AM | #264
Well, I crossed over yesterday and the Galaxy didn't come to an unexpected end. In fact, I got as far as Chapter VI, the pacing was so spot-on!

I only progressed as far as Chapter 9 the last time I played the KOTFE SWTORyline, in fact, so everything will be fresh and new beyond that point. I also appear to be well-geared for the content. Not to mention the near-constant obligatory target practice on Skytroopers to make sure my mad skillz with button mashing and mouse clicking are good and ready, lol!

I didn't have a love interest to open KOTFE with, but chose Vette as my go-to gal for a significant early conversation before everything really began to hit the fan.

Also had the pleasure of briefly chatting with one of our esteemed Casuals here in the new CasualCorner channel that was started up by a fellow SWTORian.

And how were your holidays? Did you have any time spent playing the SWTORy?

t_euclidus
01.03.2017 , 12:11 PM | #265
Quote: Originally Posted by ENVISIONocity View Post
Well, I crossed over yesterday and the Galaxy didn't come to an unexpected end. In fact, I got as far as Chapter VI, the pacing was so spot-on!

I only progressed as far as Chapter 9 the last time I played the KOTFE SWTORyline, in fact, so everything will be fresh and new beyond that point. I also appear to be well-geared for the content. Not to mention the near-constant obligatory target practice on Skytroopers to make sure my mad skillz with button mashing and mouse clicking are good and ready, lol!

[...]

And how were your holidays? Did you have any time spent playing the SWTORy?
I'm so glad you're enjoying it so far. It's been fun for me, but I'm only up to chapter IX. On several characters.... None of whom I've taken into Firebrand. I stay put in chapter IX grinding out alliance reputation and collecting companions. I'm a little nervous to go past it.

I've been playing a lot over the holidays as my best friend's mother went into hospital on Christmas Day and then into hospice. I stayed to help take care of her through the end, and SWTOR entertained me and kept my spirits up through that harrowing process. I crafted and PVPed and talked to my guildmates a little between administering medications and doing laundry, and I came out the other side sadder but better off than I'd have been without this outlet. Sometimes what you really need is a little escape, and SWTOR provided me that.
Founder | Jedi Covenant | The Quickfingers Legacy

ENVISIONocity
01.03.2017 , 02:29 PM | #266
Quote: Originally Posted by t_euclidus View Post
I've been playing a lot over the holidays as my best friend's mother went into hospital on Christmas Day and then into hospice. I stayed to help take care of her through the end, and SWTOR entertained me and kept my spirits up through that harrowing process. I crafted and PVPed and talked to my guildmates a little between administering medications and doing laundry, and I came out the other side sadder but better off than I'd have been without this outlet. Sometimes what you really need is a little escape, and SWTOR provided me that.
Sounds like you were there for who needed you, t_euclidus, and that SWTOR was there for you, as well. I wish it had been under better circumstances, but the Force works in mysterious ways sometimes, doesn't it? Your sharing of the "harrowing process" helps make the point that us SWTORians are flesh and blood people complete with entanglements and struggles— and that we are people who appreciate those few precious minutes of release and escape that bolsters us so we can continue to fight another day.

It's probably why I find myself often looking forward to that evening fix of SWTOR after a full-on workday, although my workplace drama isn't even in the same Galaxy as what you had dropped into your lap over what's supposed to be one of the most joyful times of the year.

A tip of my helmet out of respect, and a bowed head of thankfulness that you shared your goings-on with the rest of us, t_euclidus!

This really is becoming my favorite place on the forum— such amazing and fully-dimensional people, all of you!

Nempo
01.03.2017 , 04:30 PM | #267
My girl hates PvP and enjoys the stories far more than anything after the class stories end. I find myself burnt out on traditional MMO endgame content and find myself replaying the class stories much like you have.
Been here since invite only closed testing. Those original class stories keep me here, they are fun. Other mmos also seem so lackluster compared to TOR when it comes to sucking you in, the fully voiced world and the conversations just make the ambiance here so great.
"I am not driven by hatred. I am not driven by fear.
I am not driven by desire, duty, or any rationale. I can no longer feel any of these.
All that remains is Retribution; Cold and hard and final..."

craggy
01.03.2017 , 06:51 PM | #268
Just saw another thread dissatisfied with 5.0 and how it's making "Endgame Progression" difficult.

I don't get it. There aren't that many Operations are there? Sure there are harder versions of them but is that progression? There hasn't been a new Op for over a year, right?

I'll do the KOTFE and KOTET stories as a dark side character but my progression will be story progression, filling in the half dozen class stories I've not finished and all the previous endgame missions and expansions, as well as the special events.

Coming on a few times a week to run the same stuff every week doesn't appeal to me that much. I did it for a while in DCUO when that launched and it was fun being able to help guildies through it. In COH I loved repeating some of the Taskforces and even some story arcs, but part of the appeal of repeating stuff is doing it on different characters, with different powers and different choices. Sure some of that might just be superficial changes, but it gives me a better feeling than the most recent "raiding" I've done on Destiny where it was okay, but the dedication and repetition made the grind feel far more up front than say, playing through a class story on SWTOR and occasionally diverting into other parts of the game to level up a bit in a different way.
Okay, how about everyone puts their in a bowl....?

Referral Link

djungelvraaal
01.14.2017 , 01:24 AM | #269
I have a question, one that I should know the answer to by now, but, eh, I don't.

I recently started switching between heals and dps on my BH, and I can't for the life of me, find a way to save my quickbars in a way that I have one setup that puts all my dps abilities in the slots where I last had them, and one that does the same with my healing ones, I'm tired of moving my abilities around! I'm not even sure that made sense, but I hope someone understands what I mean.

I have indeed saved different setups, but, my abilities don't stay where I want them to, just the way the quickbars are placed on the screen.

Any casual who can help out?lol

ENVISIONocity
01.14.2017 , 04:54 AM | #270
Quote: Originally Posted by djungelvraaal View Post
I have a question, one that I should know the answer to by now, but, eh, I don't.

I recently started switching between heals and dps on my BH, and I can't for the life of me, find a way to save my quickbars in a way that I have one setup that puts all my dps abilities in the slots where I last had them, and one that does the same with my healing ones, I'm tired of moving my abilities around! I'm not even sure that made sense, but I hope someone understands what I mean.

I have indeed saved different setups, but, my abilities don't stay where I want them to, just the way the quickbars are placed on the screen.

Any casual who can help out?lol
I don't think there is a way to do what you are describing, but I'm with you— if someone knows how to do this, I want to know, too!

The closest solution I know of is that we are able to setup a secondary tier of commands on one of the primary toolbars. The one I'm referring to has tiny up-down triangles at the right of it, and you can switch between (1) and (2) on that toolbar.