Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity - Current state question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Alacrity - Current state question

GeoLager
01.24.2012 , 04:16 PM | #21
It's on all the healing gear and not found on the dps gear, both pvp and pve sets.

That should give you an idea what its for.

Allfader
01.24.2012 , 07:06 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Agenteusa View Post
Ok, simple question (this has been bugging me since they changed the tooltip for alacrity). Does Alacrity only influence channeled abilities or it also lowers the GCD for instants?

The tooltip says it reduces casting time on channeled spells AND reduces activation time. This is confusing, if it only influences channeled spells wouldn´t that be the same?

I´m trying to figure out because (just for leveling and pvp) I´m playing a Concealment Operative and if alacrity affected GCD it would be very useful, else it does nothing for us.

This is posted on several websites enhancing the fact that it´s not clear what alacrity really affects.

Any ideas?
Alacrity has NO EFFECT whatsoever for Concealment Ops. All of your combat abilities are instant cast, and your GCD is not effected by alacrity either. Unless you use more casted abilities than instant abilities, alacrity would be a completely wasted stat for you.
Who I am is not important. My message is.
Nathan-hale - 50 Medic Operative
D'uzlina - 25 Hybrid PvP Sorcerer
Mandalore the Indomitable

bkizz
01.25.2012 , 02:21 PM | #23
I am curious why any op would even want alacrity then, if this stat doesn't lower the gcd for your hots it seems worthless to me for pvp. Yet still it is on all the healing pvp gear ...

ChiaraT
01.27.2012 , 03:56 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by BassDeluxe View Post
Forgive me for not instantly taking your word with this, but have you tested it out in-game? the video you link is from 9 months ago, it's very possible it's changed since.
Forgive me for not Americanizing my dates. The video footage is from 3 December, 2011 (3/12/11), posted 6 December, 2011 (6/12/11) and I never expected it to get more than a handful of views from the folks I was discussing alacrity with at the time I (hastily) threw it together, so it's not the easiest thing to follow.

Alacrity certainly does bring the "GCD" of abilities with an activation time less than 1.5s (but greater than zero) down to whatever the new activation time of the ability is. With relics and adrenals popped, I can fire off Healing Scans and Power Shots in 1.1s and it's pretty much impossible to miss that there is ABSOLUTELY NO DELAY (let alone a 0.4 second gap) before I can activate another one or something else.

BUT!

Alacrity doesn't lower the GCD of instant abilities or channeled abilities. That stays at 1.5s.
WRATH
PvE / Raid Focused / 18+

www.Wrath-Tor.com|www.Tormonger.com

blackpelt
03.04.2012 , 12:00 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzushiiro View Post
Alacrity does not lower the GCD, and thus is worthless for instants.
sorry to sound like a nub but what is GCD meen?
or to save me some time a link to a web page for commonly used terms in MMO's
The Bluefox

BrothersofTheHunt

Harden
03.04.2012 , 12:03 PM | #26
GCD = Global Cool Down, meaning the cool down of a ability say if it takes 20 minutes to cool down the Alacrity will not make that happen!
It only makes the Channel time & Cast time faster.

TheRealCandyMan
03.04.2012 , 01:33 PM | #27
This is a must read to clear up any confusion with Alacrity

http://www.jedilace.com/2012/02/03/a...to-mediocrity/
Member of SuckaFish
Roovin - SniperOhmygerd - PT Ciphas - Marauder Frodo'swaggins - Juggernaut

The Hashtagyolo Legacy

seePyou
03.10.2012 , 05:07 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by blackpelt View Post
sorry to sound like a nub but what is GCD meen?
or to save me some time a link to a web page for commonly used terms in MMO's
The GCD stands for Global Cool-Down and is measured in seconds. It represents the amount of time that MUST PASS between skill activations. Activating one ability will initiate a GCD during which you will not be able to activate any other ability NO MATTER THEIR OWN COOL DOWN.

So if an ability has NO COOL-DOWN, they still are subject to the GCD.

The only exception to this are abilities that SPECIFICALLY say in their tool-tips that they are not affected by the GCD or do not follow GCD.

The reason some abilities might have NO COOL-DOWN is to control how they work. You could have a situation where a developer of a game might want to have skills/stats/buffs affect the GCD but not the cool-down of the abilities, or affect cool-downs but not the GCD.
-------------------------------------------------------------
KOTOR: YES YES, KOTOR 2: Maybe, SW Galaxies: Yes, SW Galaxies The New Combat System: Hell NO!!

Paethos
03.10.2012 , 01:33 PM | #29
As a healer its a pain as it does nothing apart from drain my energy, devs please optimize the stats for the given roles plox, gimmie more crit/surge!

aesirize
03.11.2012 , 01:51 AM | #30
Alacrity directly reduces activation and channeling times. It does not reduce cooldowns, increase DoT durations, or improve energy regeneration. Alacrity reduces the GCD only for abilities for which it also reduces the activation or channeling time (see video evidence here). For example, a 1.4-second Snipe also has a GCD of 1.4s; however, an instant SS Snipe always has a GCD of 1.5s.
The formula for calculating an activation or channeling time with alacrity is: ActivationTime = BaseActivationTime * (1 – Alacrity%)
Because our DPS is mainly throttled by cooldowns and energy regeneration, neither of which benefit at all from alacrity, small increases to alacrity (less than 33%) do not provide much benefit to theoretical DPS. Alacrity does have some value in practice, however:

Alacrity can help overcome travel time and/or connection latency for procs, such as by allowing an Ambush or Snipe to finish a fraction of a second before FT comes off cooldown, giving time for FT’s availability to be communicated from the server to the game client. This is only applicable when FT’s availability is triggered by an immediately preceding Ambush or Snipe.
Alacrity can provide a small amount of downtime during a rotation, allowing time for movements or reducing the chance of getting knocked back during an ability activation or channel.

These effects are not constant throughout or between boss encounters, so how they affect alacrity’s value is impossible to accurately generalize.

Large increases to alacrity (through cooldowns or on-use effects) can potentially gain enough time for an additional ability to be used during a rotation; however, since MM snipers have a rotation bound by a very short cooldown (6s for FT) and several instant filler abilities whose GCDs cannot be reduced, it would take a tremendous boost to alacrity to gain enough time to fit in an extra ability. (Warp speed would be insufficient – we’d need ludicrous speed.)

In general, alacrity is not a strong stat for MM snipers.

The Deadly Directive skill in the Lethality tree grants 2% or 4% alacrity independent of DR. 30% is the limit for alacrity received from alacrity rating.

-----------

this is in reference to MM Snipers but it'll answer your question about Alacrity and it's effects on channelled abilities, energy resource gains, and cooldowns.

hope it helps

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread...ger-Compendium