Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity - Current state question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Alacrity - Current state question

Melchiora
12.30.2011 , 02:32 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by darthhavok View Post

And so there is no confusion...cast time has nothing to do with GCD. My 2.5 sec heal went to like 2.3 something with some Alacrity. My 3 sec channel whent to 2.9 something.
Snipe has a cast time of 1.5 seconds. When it gets reduced to 1.4 it sure as heck has something to do with the GCD.

Not all cast time abilities are >1.5 second cast time.

BassDeluxe
12.30.2011 , 03:23 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by bodatious View Post
yes

Like i said, it does nothing for instant abilities, only abilities with cast times. But it does lower the GCD on cast time abilties with less than a 1.5s cast time.
Forgive me for not instantly taking your word with this, but have you tested it out in-game? the video you link is from 9 months ago, it's very possible it's changed since.

From my own experience it seems it does not. I activated a snipe yesterday in one second and it seemed like I had to wait an additional half second to start using my next ability.

Let me stress that I am not calling you wrong or myself right, as I definitely was not trying to test the GCD so I could be mistaken. I'm merely pointing out that beta videos, especially from a build that long ago, does not prove that this is how it currently works.

ejijon
01.02.2012 , 04:43 AM | #13
I really hate to be an *** but simply buy the trinket with Alacrity. Pop that trinket and see your GCDs reduce. It is such a huge surge of Alacrity that is hard to not see what it does.

Azkit
01.02.2012 , 06:49 AM | #14
Channeled abilities refers to abilities in which the effect takes place during the channel time. (Such as Diagnostic Scan for healing Operatives, I'm not a Sniper, but I think Series of Shots is also a channeled ability for Snipers, correct me if I'm mistaken). The energy is consumed at the beginning of the channel time.

Activated abilities refers to abilities in which the effect takes place after the activation time. (Such as Kolto Injection and Ambush). Energy is consumed at the end of the activation time.

That's why the tooltip specifically says both. There is a difference between activation and channeled abilities. They both have a channel/activation bar, but they're still different from one another.
NIGHTMARES ASYLUM
Server: Hedarr Soongh
Kara Gunn (Op) - | - Ray Gunn (Merc)

drbaltazar
01.10.2012 , 09:55 AM | #15
the main thing with alacrity is thias press k and check the tree you selected if there is no alacrity in it chance are you gain little by it but if it is in it might want to get everything in that tree about it and in other tree related to alacrity on (no stat on gear tho)some class might benefit if they feel their rotation is way off etc .this will help going from 1.5 to 1.36 doesnt sound like much but it doesnt take a lot to be either healing or dying.one question:

does alacrity affect heat cooldown?
like when i overheat?does the cooldown rate goes faster with with alacrity or not really hard to say since this affect all skill etc but isnt directly related to this?good thread by the way!

Sakes
01.10.2012 , 12:39 PM | #16
Technically, alacrity doesn't reduce the GCD, the GCD just isn't triggered in the first place for abilites with a 1.5 second cast time. If you reduce the cast time below 1.5 seconds you can use abilites faster then the GCD would normally allow you to, but you aren't reducing it, you just aren't triggering it at all. This is why it doesn't help for instant casts but does for 1.5 second casts.

Dosx
01.10.2012 , 12:56 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Sakes View Post
Technically, alacrity doesn't reduce the GCD, the GCD just isn't triggered in the first place for abilites with a 1.5 second cast time. If you reduce the cast time below 1.5 seconds you can use abilites faster then the GCD would normally allow you to, but you aren't reducing it, you just aren't triggering it at all. This is why it doesn't help for instant casts but does for 1.5 second casts.
This sounds right to me.

Iandayen
01.24.2012 , 12:51 AM | #18
That and if you are spamming the ability you will notice it doesn't cast right away after.

KingsGambit
01.24.2012 , 08:39 AM | #19
I have my own question about alacrity and would be particularly interested to hear from lvl 50s who've stacked the stat quite high. I'm a healer, and to date have been trying to stack crit chance and surge wherever and whenever possible. Most healing gear however seems to suggest I want power and alacrity.

At the moment, I have 122 alacrity (from somewhere!) which confers a 4.2% cast speed increase. My questions then are:

- Is alacrity directly proportional and linear with the percentage decrease to cast times (eg. approx 29 points of alacrity = 1% cast speed)?
- What is the approx. highest amount of alacrity I could expect if all my gear stacked it (in place of the crit/surge I currently wear)?
- What is approx. the max casting speed reduction one could expect, at lvl 50 in alacrity gear?

I currently sport approx. 40% crit chance and 85% crit multiplier, so regularly see large healing crits which to me makes a lot of sense as an effective method of to healing well. If the maximum realistic cast speed decrease is 25-33%, then it may be worth looking into swapping my higher crit chance for a fair cast speed reduction. If it's no more than 10% however I think I'll stick with more frequent and potent critical heals.

OldSwab
01.24.2012 , 04:15 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
I currently sport approx. 40% crit chance and 85% crit multiplier, so regularly see large healing crits which to me makes a lot of sense as an effective method of to healing well. If the maximum realistic cast speed decrease is 25-33%, then it may be worth looking into swapping my higher crit chance for a fair cast speed reduction. If it's no more than 10% however I think I'll stick with more frequent and potent critical heals.
I hit fifty this past weekend and have been healing spec'd since 27. I can't answer your question directly with hard numbers yet, but my general feeling is that--at best--alacrity will let you (try to) spam kolto injection a little faster. That by itself wouldn't necessarily make it a bad thing--you get to pick when to cast next, but if it cost you a ton of power or crit + surge...then you're gobbling more power to do smaller heals, faster.

I suppose that's why power and alacrity seem to arrive on lots of the same gear. I recently put power augments on everything with a slot, and grabbed the 52/endurance +240 power clicky relic and am going to see how that goes for a bit!

Subbing this thread to see what information comes out

edit: oh, and when I get home I'll post my alacrity/speed to see if it helps determine whether it's a linear relationship.
Before you criticize someone harshly, try and walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they go really postal, you're safely 5000 feet away and they have no shoes.