Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity - Current state question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Alacrity - Current state question

Agenteusa
12.30.2011 , 06:12 AM | #1
Ok, simple question (this has been bugging me since they changed the tooltip for alacrity). Does Alacrity only influence channeled abilities or it also lowers the GCD for instants?

The tooltip says it reduces casting time on channeled spells AND reduces activation time. This is confusing, if it only influences channeled spells wouldnīt that be the same?

Iīm trying to figure out because (just for leveling and pvp) Iīm playing a Concealment Operative and if alacrity affected GCD it would be very useful, else it does nothing for us.

Quote:
"Alacrity rating is a haste effect. It does seem to reduce the global cooldown on some channeled spells (even those that are only 1.5 seconds), but it does not seem to help for instant attacks. Not sure if this is a bug or if it just requires a lot of alacrity to get a noticeable difference in this area."
This is posted on several websites enhancing the fact that itīs not clear what alacrity really affects.

Any ideas?

Aricus
12.30.2011 , 07:55 AM | #2
I don't know, but as a sniper I didn't really focus on it much mainly because it does not increase energy regen.

Agenteusa
12.30.2011 , 07:58 AM | #3
Yh thats why I said I was concealment, itīs a complete different gameplay as I need to get out of stealth, hit as fast and hard as I can and go back to stealth, hence I donīt owrry as much about energy regen (I have the standard ones and those are enough). But it would be useful if I could hit more often logically.

Suzushiiro
12.30.2011 , 08:35 AM | #4
Alacrity does not lower the GCD, and thus is worthless for instants.

Agenteusa
12.30.2011 , 08:40 AM | #5
Pfff.. just found this :S

Quote:
Alacrity Rating - Decreases activation time for all abilities. This includes both casted abilities and channeled abilities.

Edit: Thanks to Saravi for pointing out in the comments that Alacrity Rating does indeed decrease the global cooldown, making the stat worth something for melee or instant-cast characters.
Thatīs the reason why I am confused with this crap :W

Kryzen
12.30.2011 , 11:08 AM | #6
Essentially because of the 1.5s GCD, Alacrity is only useful for skills that take longer then 1.5s to cast or channel. Thats it. If you dont have a lot of these abilities, it probably isnt worth taking.

Just ask yourself. Do you have a lot of key abilities taking 1.5 or more seconds to cast? yes, then stack alacrity. No? then screw it.

bodatious
12.30.2011 , 12:20 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryzen View Post
Essentially because of the 1.5s GCD, Alacrity is only useful for skills that take longer then 1.5s to cast or channel. Thats it. If you dont have a lot of these abilities, it probably isnt worth taking.

Just ask yourself. Do you have a lot of key abilities taking 1.5 or more seconds to cast? yes, then stack alacrity. No? then screw it.
that isn't true. Alacrity has been tested to reduce the GCD on casted abilities of 1.5sec. But it is odd that a casted ability could be quicker than an instant.

darthhavok
12.30.2011 , 12:27 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bodatious View Post
that isn't true. Alacrity has been tested to reduce the GCD on casted abilities of 1.5sec. But it is odd that a casted ability could be quicker than an instant.
Do you have a link for that? I'd like to see that because then it would be somewhat beneficial. But in the current state, it only lowers activiation time (cast time) and the speed of channeled abilities. I know this for a fact (on a sorc at least) becuase I started getting more and more above 40 and it didn't affect my GCD. Now ops may be different but I doubt it.

And so there is no confusion...cast time has nothing to do with GCD. My 2.5 sec heal went to like 2.3 something with some Alacrity. My 3 sec channel whent to 2.9 something.
Y'all can't make me have a signature!!!!! No way no how!!!!

bodatious
12.30.2011 , 12:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by darthhavok View Post
Do you have a link for that? I'd like to see that because then it would be somewhat beneficial. But in the current state, it only lowers activiation time (cast time) and the speed of channeled abilities. I know this for a fact (on a sorc at least) becuase I started getting more and more above 40 and it didn't affect my GCD. Now ops may be different but I doubt it.

And so there is no confusion...cast time has nothing to do with GCD. My 2.5 sec heal went to like 2.3 something with some Alacrity. My 3 sec channel whent to 2.9 something.
yes

Like i said, it does nothing for instant abilities, only abilities with cast times. But it does lower the GCD on cast time abilties with less than a 1.5s cast time.

darthhavok
12.30.2011 , 12:35 PM | #10
Now that's some cool stuff. Thanks for the link. Let's hope that sticks and isn't hit with the nerf bat.
Y'all can't make me have a signature!!!!! No way no how!!!!