Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Alacrity help

Ryokusen
11.25.2013 , 01:03 AM | #1
Hello, I have a question regarding alacrity. Im commando healer.
When wearing my DPS set i have 4.66% alacrity, my cast time on medical probe is 1.9 seconds.
While wearing my healing set I got 7.85% alacrity, my cast time on medical probe is 1.9 seconds

So I either mis undestood the use for alacrity, or my game is bugged?

Thanks

cxten
11.25.2013 , 01:39 AM | #2
Taking Alacrity as a decimal,

Cast time = Base Cast Time / (1 + Alacrity)

So

2/(1+.0466) = 1.9109
2/(1+.0785) = 1.8544

So you see they both round to 1.9.

It seems you only changed gear, not your skill points, because in your healing spec you'd have the base 2 second cast time on medical probe whereas in your dps spec you'd have base 2.5 seconds on medical probe (and thus 2.5/(1+.0466) = 2.3887 seconds with alacrity), but this isn't related to alacrity of course.

----------

I think but am not entirely certain that the game is only rounding the displayed cast time, not the actual cast time, to one decimal place. You could test this by spamming it and seeing how long it takes to get a bunch of casts off (checking the timing in your combat log would be best).

Ryokusen
11.25.2013 , 02:58 AM | #3
Thanks for the reply.
So at what point I should stop getting alacrity? I've seen healers with 10% alacrity, not sure if they are over the dimishing returns limit.

CaptainApop
11.25.2013 , 03:18 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryokusen View Post
Thanks for the reply.
So at what point I should stop getting alacrity? I've seen healers with 10% alacrity, not sure if they are over the dimishing returns limit.
Don't pay attention to alacrity's diminishing return, it's pretty damn smooth.

Decide somewhere on the surge curve you want to be and fill up the rest of your gear with alacrity.
In 78's you can have 70% surge and just shy of 10% alacrity on an op. More on a sorc. Don't know mercs talents.

Also yeah, the game only rounds the display number. If you're supposed to be casting for 1.85s then you'll only cast for 1.85 seconds, even if it shows 1.9.

Hell tertiary stats aren't even worth worrying too much over in my opinion.
Difference between a 376surge/564alacrity op healer and just stacking alacrity because #yolo #reasons #aliens is about 4% alacrity versus 20% surge.

With a crit chance of around 25% that 20% surge is 5% healing overall, randomly distributed (overhealing)
4% alacrity doesn't translate to 4% healing but it's not super far off it either.
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Ryokusen
11.25.2013 , 03:26 AM | #5
Very helpful, thanks for the insight.

Anthraxal
11.26.2013 , 06:36 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainApop View Post
Don't pay attention to alacrity's diminishing return, it's pretty damn smooth.

Decide somewhere on the surge curve you want to be and fill up the rest of your gear with alacrity.
In 78's you can have 70% surge and just shy of 10% alacrity on an op. More on a sorc. Don't know mercs talents.

Also yeah, the game only rounds the display number. If you're supposed to be casting for 1.85s then you'll only cast for 1.85 seconds, even if it shows 1.9.

Hell tertiary stats aren't even worth worrying too much over in my opinion.
Difference between a 376surge/564alacrity op healer and just stacking alacrity because #yolo #reasons #aliens is about 4% alacrity versus 20% surge.

With a crit chance of around 25% that 20% surge is 5% healing overall, randomly distributed (overhealing)
4% alacrity doesn't translate to 4% healing but it's not super far off it either.
QFT. Only thing I would add is that beyond the activation time, Alacrity also decrease GCD's duration and buffs up your resource regeneration.