Walker Legs

Star-ranger

I was just looking at the rear legs on the big republic walkers on Ord Mantel the other day when running around on my trooper.

As I was running by I just happened to notice that the rear legs have no articulation...they're one solid piece of metal attached to the body at the upper axle. I know I know, picky runey, but there it was. They have no knees so they can't articulate = can't walk or crawl.

It would be nice if they looked like they could actually move. Heck it would be nice if we could actually drive one.... that would be cool. Not going to happen, but it would be cool.

I was just looking at the rear legs on the big republic walkers on Ord Mantel the other day when running around on my trooper.

As I was running by I just happened to notice that the rear legs have no articulation...they're one solid piece of metal attached to the body at the upper axle. I know I know, picky runey, but there it was. They have no knees so they can't articulate = can't walk or crawl.

It would be nice if they looked like they could actually move. Heck it would be nice if we could actually drive one.... that would be cool. Not going to happen, but it would be cool.

Technically such a design could move, but it would be really slow, moving one leg at a time shifting weight from one to the other, and there like 90% chance it would fall over.

Technically such a design could move, but it would be really slow, moving one leg at a time shifting weight from one to the other, and there like 90% chance it would fall over.

Well actually the design as is couldn't move except back and forth on and arc described by the rear leg. In order for the leg to move forward it would have to spin on the axle like a lever, but the body's in the way preventing it from rotating 360 degrees.

Since there is no 'knee' joint, and no ankle joint, the lever can only move back and forth in the same arc. I.e. it would lift the rear end of the walker up and down as the lever moves forward and back but you'll never get anywhere because there is no way to pick up the leg and reset it.

Bottom line: as it now appears the design is non-functional. In order to make it functional it would need a knee joint where the bend in the rear leg is and then it would need a working ankle (which it doesn't have because the ankle is one piece with the leg).

• 2 weeks later...