Opinion: Knights of the Fallen Empire

chosonman

My opinion only, but Knights of the Fallen Empire has got to be the worst story line and most painfully long expansions in all of SWTOR. It took me a while to realize how bad it was. Only until coming back to from a multi year hiatus to play Onslaught have I realized how bad the entire plot line and Allience system was. Add to the way they treated companions and messed up my companion list. I just can't get over how bad I though KOTFE was.... and the missions were overly long and tedious. You could hardly skip any fights even if you were a stealth character. The mobs would agro on you from a mile away and it was just fight after fight. And the same end result, escape from "xyz" base. Whoever thought that would be a great idea for content was a sadist. (I never wanted to be a walker pilot!) I hope whoever came up with the plot/design has be "reassigned"...

....Forgot to mention i hated how i was forced to refarm all my companions, even my level 50 influence ones. I have 18 characters. This was a royal pain in the butt. Even with the companion locator. I still don't have all of my companions since i need to do like 20 missions in order to get them all back since the companion locator doesn't work for every one.

On the other hand, Onslaught is sooooo much better and returns back the roots of the original game's story line. Empire vs Republic. I'm liking it so far and the story is much more relevant to the SW universe.

/end rant

edit: who else cringed when you heard the lines to Arcann "Your mom said you can be saved!" and Vaylin's tantrum afterwards. Probably the worst dialogue I've heard since Anakin's awkward come on to Padme in revenge of the Sith.

Edited by chosonman

I am playing Balmora planet arc (republic) right now and it's so tedious, long and boring story. Too much hops from here to there, nothing particularly interesting and yet it's one of the most praised Planet arcs - and Ilum for that matter, what a joke

The main problem it seems you have, like majority people bashing KoFTE story line is that it tries to expand away from cliche Empire vs Republic conflict, again it's personal preference but I am really sad to see to see the way audience reacted there - yes the writing was poor in some parts but a lot of core game has poor writing too, whatever you want to admit or not.

The last few story chapters (Onslaught and Echo of Oblivions were actually upgrade compared to the most of the core and previous expansion lore)

On other hand I actually (while not everything) liked storyline of KOFTE for most part, so in the end it comes down to personal taste

Edited by Senteliks

Forgot to mention i hated how i was forced to refarm all my companions, even my level 50 influence ones. I have 18 characters. This was a royal pain in the butt. Even with the companion locator. I still don't have all of my companions since i need to do like 20 missions in order to get them all back since the companion locator doesn't work for every one. Edited by chosonman

I am actually always baffled by people getting caught up in whole must have all companions (pun intended)

It's an option left for people like you which are overwhelming in numbers but they didn't intended it and left you a choice, instead of making ultimate decision for you (and yet still complaints).You are not forced what's so ever no one is forcing but you forcing yourself, see the irony?

Even in Beta before SWTOR was released officially they were forced to obliged to must have all companions motto (- which unfortunately is the biggest drawback of SWTOR being MMO (and painful reminder - I just wish we have more control over our character, since we have to roll with whatever is served and can't impact the world. But yeah, never going to happen).

Edited by Senteliks

I am actually always baffled by people getting caught up in whole must have all companions (pun intended)

It's an option left for people like you which are overwhelming in numbers but they didn't intended it and left you a choice, instead of making ultimate decision for you (and yet still complaints).You are not forced what's so ever no one is forcing but you forcing yourself, see the irony?

Even in Beta before SWTOR was released officially they were forced to obliged to must have all companions motto (- which unfortunately is the biggest drawback of SWTOR being MMO (and painful reminder - I just wish we have more control over our character, since we have to roll with whatever is served and can't impact the world. But yeah, never going to happen).

Uh.. if you craft you invest time and resources into your companion's influence. I had lvl 50 companions taken away from me and the game mechanics was telling me I had to re-farm them. With 18 characters do you know how many missions I need to go on to get all of them back? (around 100) I wasn't given an option to not have them taken. It almost seems like the devs ran out of ideas for content and said "lets play hide and seek with their companions".... I'm still missing a bunch of high level companions even after using companion locator. I would have to play over 20 missions just to get them back.

Edited by chosonman

IMHO, It's a a mixed bag, some of it I really liked, other parts were a slog. :D

** Overall I like the story part ... but the cut / paste; rinse / repeat attack the space station missions ... that was a little annoying. I didn't mind the sky troopers but often wondered why Kira and Scourge were left out.

** I did prefer HK-55 over CN (BIG time)

** Vette is a delight (Elara is boring)

** You still have to watch for the "Lana bug" after all this time.

I liked the idea of the chapter that were repeatable with the idea of increased difficulty as an option (I did that from time to time).

There were other things that I like / disliked but I wont bore you with the details !!

Overall I score KotFE / ET both higher than I would JUS / Ossus (I'll catch it for that ... but that's just my opinion).

I liked the idea of the chapter that were repeatable with the idea of increased difficulty as an option (I did that from time to time).

Me too, and it's something I come back to on those occasions when I login and can't think of what to do - I do the odd chapter, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through FE on Vet and I guess at some point I'll do the MM as well slowly. 'Funny' thing is: I hated the companionless sections when doing the actual story but these are the bits I prefer on VM - nice to have a challenge. I expect to fail hard on these on MM though :-D

Edited by Fluffometer

Me too, and it's something I come back to on those occasions when I login and can't think of what to do - I do the odd chapter, and I'm about 2/3 of the way through FE on Vet and I guess at some point I'll do the MM as well slowly. 'Funny' thing is: I hated the companionless sections when doing the actual story but these are the bits I prefer on VM - nice to have a challenge. I expect to fail hard on these on MM though :-D

At least you can get someone to join you, if you are stuck. It's a very handy option.

That's just it .. more options.

** Story level (for the initial trip)

** the other "mods" for those who want additional challenges.

Win-Win for everyone !

My opinion only, but Knights of the Fallen Empire has got to be the worst story line and most painfully long expansions in all of SWTOR

I loved it. The graphics, getting away from the worn-out storyline of imp versus pub, everything. Very refreshing change and was sad to see the imp vs pub fanboys raise a stink and kill it off.

My opinion: everything starting with the Revan revival story line (pre-kotfe/kotet) was absolute garbage. The biggest reason: everything they did with the Emperor. It was total hackneyed, non-sensical, *very* non-star-wars crap.

I'm not sure which is more un-star-wars: everything post-Revan or the new sequels.

It was an utter slap in the face to all fans who loved Revan and the "KotOR 3" continuity that the game originally gave us. The flashpoint-based Jedi Prisoner story line was brilliant, very well done, and then they **** all over it by saying "**** it lets just kill this guy and then and retcon the JK story line and in fact all of the emperor story line and say that, no actually he was in another part of the galaxy the whole time AND as a different person."

Utter garbage, utter nonsense.

My opinion: everything starting with the Revan revival story line (pre-kotfe/kotet) was absolute garbage. The biggest reason: everything they did with the Emperor. It was total hackneyed, non-sensical, *very* non-star-wars crap.

I'm not sure which is more un-star-wars: everything post-Revan or the new sequels.

It was an utter slap in the face to all fans who loved Revan and the "KotOR 3" continuity that the game originally gave us. The flashpoint-based Jedi Prisoner story line was brilliant, very well done, and then they **** all over it by saying "**** it lets just kill this guy and then and retcon the JK story line and in fact all of the emperor story line and say that, no actually he was in another part of the galaxy the whole time AND as a different person."

Utter garbage, utter nonsense.

Not at all.This is Bioware so anyone who stuck enough with their games, has idea how they handled main propagandists, I am not getting into that.

Point being while I liked Revan for me the story about Revan ended the moment KOTOR 2 was released and didn't pick up story from where it left off. I just accept it, that chapter is over and I moved on.

So you can either sob about it until the end of life cycle of TOR or you can accept that this was never about Revan, Exile or whatever other character you grown to like. Bioware just doesn't care what you think "Star Wars is about" and they also know that you don't care, that they don't care.

I personally disagree with you about "un-star-wars" is. For me un-star -wars like (as close as it comes) is Imperial agent story but then again I sort accepted as a part of SW universe that just isn't for me.

And SWTOR isn't continuity of KOTOR 1/2 it's more of it's own boat that had to steer events in the direction they set.

The funniest thing is people thinking KOTOR 2 would be any different if Bioware actually made the sequel (and not Obsidian Entertaiment), it would be handled the same way. Different main character, different chapter, some returning faces and perhaps one persistent "veiled in mystery and sarcasm" that serve purpose of narrator than anything else. Same goes for KOTOR x whatever.

Now I do hope they are done with the last chapter picking up and tying up lose ends, no matter how flawed it is and start of with the new one, when next expansion or story updates come out. Just try to drop it already or move on (because with High republic being in cannon and Old republic officially being discounted this game is the closest you will get to enjoying in lore of that era,

Edited by Senteliks