Thanks for 1.4.1

ufarax

Last week I wrote 2 posts very critical of bioware. My main concern was the unintended crew skill nerf, and the Torvix weekly bug. Today's patch fixed the problems. Thank you Bioware. Now I can get back to playing. ;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally dumped my Nvidia and I'm using a crappy Intel card for now.

The quality is just not there but at least it doesn't stutter.

I have to deal with a Red glowing character selection screen issue (which is resolved by deleting the client settings file before I start the game) but at least it is playable.

I was hoping this was gonna fix the Nvidia thing, guess not.

But I'm really happy they fixed all the other stuff!

Edited by KinCharBamin

this is after you've tried all the quality and video card workarounds?

Did it stutter before the update? Is the game the only thing affected with his computer? If the answer is no and yes then I'll be damned that I'll change specs on a computer that could affect it's performance overall just to accommodate a game that worked perfectly fine before the update.

It's been 2 weeks with an annoying barley playable product that we pay for and I have not seen one peep out of EA on the matter other than another "it's our computer's fault" default reply. That is BS!

I can be a lot more understanding and patience with honesty but to publicly insist that everyone's computers went faulty over night is...is...oh lord this is not good EA.

Did it stutter before the update? Is the game the only thing affected with his computer? If the answer is no and yes then I'll be damned that I'll change specs on a computer that could affect it's performance overall just to accommodate a game that worked perfectly fine before the update.

It's been 2 weeks with an annoying barley playable product that we pay for and I have not seen one peep out of EA on the matter other than another "it's our computer's fault" default reply. That is BS!

I can be a lot more understanding and patience with honesty but to publicly insist that everyone's computers went faulty over night is...is...oh lord this is not good EA.

They're investigating it

We are aware of and are investigating the following issues:

General performance issues.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=540196

Though I thought this was said many, many times before, it seems many people still haven't seen it:

You can get rid of a large portion of the stutters (approximately 80%, in my case) by simply turning off the scaling of Nameplates with distance. Turning off nameplates for my companion and group members got another small chunk.

At the moment, I only get significant stutters in certain areas. I could guess that they are areas that involve scaled semi-transparent features, but I wouldn't guarantee that. Before turning off scaled nameplates, I found the stutters to be severe enough that it made playing the game uncomfortable. Some research and a couple checkboxes later, I only notice the stutters on occasion.

I'd still like my scaled nameplates back, though.

It started to stutter after 1.4 and it only happens in this game. I just got a new computer even :(

Somehow I missed that this was a nvidia issue. What do I have to do to get rid of the stuttering?

Get a cheap Intel Card? I dunno.

I was quite surprised that this at least made the game playable for me.

No matter how low I set the graphics, no matter what I did with the nameplates as long as I was trying to use the other card (Nvidia/current drivers) it just wouldn't be playable whenever I had a target selected, it's like as soon as it went to render the text for that nameplate, BAM it would get to stuttering.

I switched to the Intel card and it's back to being playable. But I get no where near the quality of graphics that I originally had with the Nvidia pre 1.4.

Seems everyone is trying everything to fix a problem that didn't used to be there. Well everyone except those that created it. Seems like they should go back to pre 1.4 graphics in the live game and retest this stuff on PTS (what a concept huh) until everyone is happy with it.

• Dev Post
Last week I wrote 2 posts very critical of bioware. My main concern was the unintended crew skill nerf, and the Torvix weekly bug. Today's patch fixed the problems. Thank you Bioware. Now I can get back to playing. ;)

Thanks for the post - I'm glad we could address the issues. Not every issue has been addressed by this patch, and we do still have some frequently reported problems that we're working on. Make sure to check out this thread to check on those: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=540196.

Some players in the thread have mentioned performance issues (which we are still working on as a high priority). You may need to lower your game settings, particularly by disabling shadows, until we are able to resolve the problem.

Thanks to everyone who reported issues they encountered, and for your patience as we continue to fix the others!

This times one million. Game on completely full settings ran flawlessly. 1.4 trashed it so bad I can barely just quest.

Thanks for the post - I'm glad we could address the issues. Not every issue has been addressed by this patch, and we do still have some frequently reported problems that we're working on. Make sure to check out this thread to check on those: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=540196.

Some players in the thread have mentioned performance issues (which we are still working on as a high priority). You may need to lower your game settings, particularly by disabling shadows, until we are able to resolve the problem.

Thanks to everyone who reported issues they encountered, and for your patience as we continue to fix the others!

This is a BS reply. We've been telling you this with examples, photos, and after trying literally every possible fix that has been though of and you still have nothing but "disable shadows." This is all after folks reported this plenty on the PTS.

Edited by Venerok

My patience has pretty much run out. Why not just remove what you have changed that is causing our performance issues until you all have a fix for it?

This is a BS reply. We've been telling you this with examples, photos, and after trying literally every possible fix that has been though of and you still have nothing but "disable shadows." This is all after folks reported this plenty on the PTS.

Because we all know coding for gaming is so easy a caveman can do it.

The information is great for them on finding out where the root of the problem is. Surprisingly enough, complex systems sometimes require complex solutions. That may be why none of your proposed fixes are as easy to implement as you suspect. And if there is a workaround (ie. lowering your settings for the time being) so you can play the game but that's a dealbreaker, then I don't know if Bioware can do any thing to help you. Not sure if any developer can.

In short. Patience, young padawan.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

My patience has pretty much run out. Why not just remove what you have changed that is causing our performance issues until you all have a fix for it?

Obviously the issue is horrible for those affected by it but the amount of users having this issue doesn't seem to warrant a full roll back. This kind of issue is a risk for any PC gamer knowing the number of possible computer setups that can exist not all of them can be accounted for. The fact they have said this is top priority why it doesn't fix the issue immediately they are working as quickly as possible.

I have one nVidia GTX 570 card and I did notice a slightly overall decrease in fps since 1.4, but I have no major graphic issues (stuttering) at all. I am using a driver that is dated Oct 15 2011 and version 8.17.12.8562. Maybe old drivers will help some people?

The information is great for them on finding out where the root of the problem is. Surprisingly enough, complex systems sometimes require complex solutions. That may be why none of your proposed fixes are as easy to implement as you suspect. And if there is a workaround (ie. lowering your settings for the time being) so you can play the game but that's a dealbreaker, then I don't know if Bioware can do any thing to help you. Not sure if any developer can.

How much patience will EA show in getting my monthly payment?

I have one nVidia GTX 570 card and I did notice a slightly overall decrease in fps since 1.4, but I have no major graphic issues (stuttering) at all. I am using a driver that is dated Oct 15 2011 and version 8.17.12.8562. Maybe old drivers will help some people?

I had an older driver (prolly not 2011) but still older. The stuttering did not improve updating to that latest release. Some of the tuning like name plate helped, but its still apparent while moving around, even in areas with no other players. I haven't tried 1.4.1 yet to comment on the patch.

It was clearly related to the shadows update. I think the issue was they thought it was isolated to certain small subsets of players and under estimated or under reported to the higher ups the impact. Now they are in CYA mode. Smooth gameplay is very important. The stuttering gives it the feel of an untested, unpolished game. All the features and adds in the world cannot overcome poor visual performance. The engine has always been poor with shadows on. I know this isn't all that uncommon, but I've not had such poor performance on a game in a while in the lowest settings. Usually those are for laptops with integrated video cards that struggle. Systems with above average and higher graphics cards shouldn't be performing this poorly.

Agreed. Continue to call them out on this. :cool:

You are completely ignorant of the hundreds of things some of us have tried.

Ive tried 3 different Nvidia cards, downgraded drivers to more then 22 different versions, clean installed a harddrive with updated drivers all around, turned off and on seperately every single slider, option, control for graphics in this game, and gone down to the lowest resolutions.

Since the day 1.4 came out tons of people are left with a stuttering mess of a game while we continue to have to pay subscriptions with days of legitimately playing lost and they have nothing for us.

You assume too much and think that some of us are not willing to turn of shadows? You are so off base and clueless its astounding.

They had plenty of notice and information and STILL released the patch anyway.

Patience? This has been a bug riddled game for many for almost a year now. A paying customer, no matter how "complicated" a product is, is more than entitled to legitimate communication and help. When they receive neither for weeks, it is in no way fair to them to just "be patient" while their money is still being asked for.