DPS Mercs SUCK.

Xhyron

What most people seems to forget is that Arsenal is a gun-platform and as such designed to be immobile while firing. You don't see Haubitz guns roaming the battlefield firing off every now and then? No they are stationary when unloading their 'death from above', same goes with Arsenal mercs. We need close support or shelter for survivability.

Also a lot of all the QQ is about we can't go up against other players, especially 1on1. PvP in SWTOR isn't centered around 1on1 PvP but on cooperation and tactics. This might be a whole new concept to some but in reality that how it works.

Our class does great damage and if we would be mobile at the same time the nerfbat would be swinging our way faster than one could say 'nerf-herder' and then the QQ would be even worse than it is now...

We should be grateful that Bioware have had the courage to make classes different and not adopted Blizz'es way of class homogenization where every class can do the same stuff. What's the fun in that?

I will not say l2p your class but learn to cooperate with others to maximize your winning probability. In the end of the day its crushing the enemy that counts!

the problem with saying the game isnt balanced around 1v1 is that it ignores the fact, some classes can 1v1

if a class can 1v1, than that class can also 8v8 and while the non 1v1's are busy trying to focus 4 on 1, the 1v1 are killing you all individually without any trouble

so, you think its ok that some classes like merc we need to have 4 of us to kill 1 person, while other classes require 1 to kill 1?

if pvp balance does not allow at least situational 1v1 than you will always be out numbered vs classes that can 1v1

do you not understand this? 4 of us to focus down 1 person while each of thiers is killing 1 of ours means they have 3 extra people to kill us with, they get 4 kills to our 1 if that were the case

pvp balance requires at least situational 1v1 or groups of the classes that can 1v1 will still be the optimal way to go since they will over power a group filled with classes that cant 1v1

8v8, if one team requires 4v1 to kill, is going to kill 2 people while a team of 8 that can all 1v1 is going to kill 8 in the same time frame, who wins? the 1v1s no matter how you cut it

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I'm fine with my Pyro. guy and it does have mobility compared to other Merc. builds, but it would be nice to have a speed burst. Like 150% speed for 2 seconds like my assassin because when I'm in combat I'm awfully slow.

And my bigger damage abilities are cast or channels and get interrupted a lot. Not 50 yet so I'm sure I get something later to help and though I like my Pyro. build and the OP is Arsenal, I don't think we should just dismiss all his claims. Just seems like we're missing something.

Is this a joke post?

the OP needs to L2P for sure..

Pyro is the PVP spec and it flat destroys in the hands of a pro..

600K rounds are flat the norm at 50 for a Pyro that knows how to play..

I'm sorry my 50 Pyro merc flat rocks for PVP.. and the Ars rocks for raiding..

my only complaint is no Dual Spec so I have to pay a fortune to respec back and forth every day..

really?

you rolled and spec'ed a pure dps class and are whining because you are pure dps?

I am AS and I am fine with it, get some friends, they need the dps and you need the heals.

the difference is you can go straight DPS sorc, get exactly the same potential damage as an aresenal merc for dps... AND:

have speed boost, have pulls, have better shields, have interupts, have an in combat res.... im forgetting a few im sure

everything a DPS merc has is matched by a DPS sorc, the difference is a sorc gets so much more on top of that. and dont begin saying "but we have a knockback or a stun".. um duh, so does the sorc they match that too, except even their stun does damage and ours doesnt so...

Is this a joke post?

the OP needs to L2P for sure..

Pyro is the PVP spec and it flat destroys in the hands of a pro..

600K rounds are flat the norm at 50 for a Pyro that knows how to play..

I'm sorry my 50 Pyro merc flat rocks for PVP.. and the Ars rocks for raiding..

my only complaint is no Dual Spec so I have to pay a fortune to respec back and forth every day..

thats part of the problem, there is no dual spec

the other part of the problem is that if you actually bother to understand how arsenal works, its the same as lightning sorc, but lightning sorc has utility and merc doesnt

you have two classes in this game which are built around identical play styles and are essentialy turret DPS, one has a TON of utility, the other doesnt and the damaage difference between them is not enough to justify this lack

i have both a lvl 50 sorc and a lvl 50 merc, the difference is night and day if you bother to actually comprehend it

every single skill an arsenal merc has is matched by a lightning sorc/sage. on top of that, the sorc/sage gets a dozen additional utility skills that an arsenal does not

the answer is not to respec, the answer is to stop and realize that arsenal merc is a broken ligtning sorc missing things that should have been inculded

you can pretend this is a QQ thread or you can take the time to educate yourself on what exactly the problem is

Sorcerers also have light armor and go absolutely SPLAT whenever a melee dps with a brain targets them.

The grass always looks greener from the other side of the fence.

i have both a lvl 50 sorc and a lvl 50 merc

the light/heavy armor issue is meaningless

an arsenal merc goes splat whenever a melee dps with a brain targets them too

a sorc has a better shield (prevents more damage than a merc shield) this makes up for the armor difference. a sorc has an interupt, stop even 1 attack with it and you have negated more damage than a merc has "extra" from his gear. the reality is you stop more than 1 attack with it for two reasons: the interupt has a lockout which stops them using that skill again, and second it disturbs some peoples rotations, even a moments hesitation while they pick another skill and youve saved even more damage

utility and negation more than make up for the heavy/light armor issue

even if you go down the list of "well use knockback" or "use 4 second stun" yes and yes, sorc/merc both have those, the difference is the sorc can also speed boost out of the fight if he was about to lose to the melee, something the merc cant do

i am beyond aware of the heavy/light armor issue, having played both there is no "the grass is greener" its i freaking own both yards and i can show you clearly that one is greener than the other

anyone that cannot see this has not actually examined the issue at a detailed level

this isnt about QQ or "learn to play", im beyond crying over it and i have learned to play. im actually really good with my merc. the problem comes in that no matter how good i am with that merc, im missing half the skills my sorc has when i play him and the sorc keeps up in damage and survival

so yes, you like so many others are too busy looking for ways to troll or insult others on these forums while some of us have taken the time to actually learn to play and level up both for comparison

the grass isnt just greener, its freaking gold

i play my merc for fun and i win. i play my sorc when i want to dominate the game and actually be useful to my team, and i win.

its night and day and its the worst oversight ive seen in a pvp game and those of you who cant see the problem arent taking the time to comprehend where it is

I think most complaints come from people who rage, yell and curse at their monitor everytime they get killed, regardless of the fact that they killed like 10 people or so before that. Everytime you enter a warzone tell yourself "I'm gonna die". Because you are, it's part of the game, make peace with it.

I played merc (lvl 33 though), Arsenal speced in hutball. Was always 1st, 2nd or 3rd in dmg and/or kills. In 1-on-1 we suck, but then don't try to kill people in 1-on-1 ffs. And as far as escaping melees go, use Jet Boost, Electrodart and if you're Arsenal specd, use the freakin' Rocket punch when you're on a ledge. And use your surroundings, that's what makes it challenging.

From what i read at the first post, the guy basically wanted that he could just stand still, DPS away and disappear with a click of a button everytime someone gets close to him? C'mon SON! Other classes wouldn't stand much chance against a merc then, right?

Yes, can someone please explain the benefit of this crap in the game? I mean, respecing should cost, but increasing the cost (exponentially at that) everytime you respec? LOTRO and WHO (if I'm not mistaken) have fixed cost for respecing and that's the way it should be IMO. This gives you the freedom to enjoy all aspects of your class at any time, endgame and leveling.

I've seen some fully decked out mercs get 500k+ damage in Huttball.... HUTTBALL!

Twice as much as I normally get as a madness sorc with about 450 expertise, and I am generally on top. I think the DPS mercs are awesome because they have high damage and can tank because of their heavy armor.

You must be the worst sorc in he world then. Even when i play my sorc brainafk i get 400 k damage easily. The record of sorcs damage is 1,6 Million Damage in Voidstar, something a Merc wont even get close to.

the point of rising respec costs are to give your actions consequences. there shouldnt be respecs at all after lvl 30 imo. all classes have pros and cons and you need to deal with the cons, if you cant then reroll another class

no repsec after 30?

have you played mmo's? next patch could force people to respec due to some change in mechanic...

dual spec gives people options, options are good. It is coming fyi so no worries.

You must be the worst sorc in he world then. Even when i play my sorc brainafk i get 400 k damage easily. The record of sorcs damage is 1,6 Million Damage in Voidstar, something a Merc wont even get close to.

I dont even know where you guys are getting your numbers from. every warzone i've been in, the max i've ever seen is 300k and thats rare, really rare. so yea..... it could be because Im still under 60 valor but i've seen battle masters in my games so I doubt thats the case. but still if 300k is rare for me to see, then 400k easy is not something thats believable

no repsec after 30?

have you played mmo's? next patch could force people to respec due to some change in mechanic...

dual spec gives people options, options are good. It is coming fyi so no worries.

ive played tons of mmos, this is where my opinions come from. i played swg for years with only one character since they only allowed one character per server per account and respecing meant having to quit all of your skills and re level everything, it didnt negatively affect me one bit. as far as options, they get them at lvl 10. this game is easy mode

Unless the melee player does not notice where all this crushing dps is coming from....All they have to do is walk forward 5-10 meters and leap from our extream range...there is no way I can dps them to death in that short of a time. This is bad advice since it's just a pipe dream. Most of the time when I use my knock back on a jedi to get distance the jedi just leaps right back...this is just after they closed the distance to make first contact.

If you get lucky enough to come up against a bad melee who does't use thier interupts you should be able to out dps them with in melee range....but most know how to put an interupt on thier tool bar and seriously gimp our dps by using them.

I still like playing the class....but I would not have picked Merc if I started palying today and saw how bad they are at one on one.

Saying a class is bad at one on one in PLAYER -VS- PLAYER "Definition of one on one" means it's a broken class and needs attention.

I'm going to get all my gear and just start to level another class and wait for the fix...which will make my Merc FOTM sometime in March :)

if they leap first instead of walking to you, they just made a tactical error. knock them back immediateyl and start blasting then start kiting

I kinda agree with this. DPS classes aren't mean to be tanks... we're supposed to turret people from far away.

But, I agree we need a longer CC or a Combat Sprint that breaks snares so we can at least move away for a second.

Even Snipers have Entrenched Cover to ward off cc's, and two stuns in Flashbang and whatever that melee stun is. Of course they have medium armor is the argument. And Mercs have Heavy Armor. AH-HAAAA! (Eddie Murphy voice)!!

But ... the lack of mitigation on Force and Tech of Heavy Armor is a BIG reason why being immobile is so dangerous, and a key area I think the devs could look to add some survivability to Mercs. Instead of Endurance, maybe skills to boost Tech and Force mitigation?

Fact is, the second those missiles come off your back (Tracer) enemies with half a clue know that only two of them can swarm you and take you down. So ... either embrace the glass cannon that you are, I'd say, get a mate or two in a warzone (or just shadow a sorc or tank), or respec.

I am really, really, REALLY sad I wasted my time leveling this character to 50 only to find out the amount of balls it sucks is unreal.

First, I have a jetpack strapped to my back but are by FAR the most immobile of characters... What the hell is up with this? People sprint away from me in combat, jump halfway across the screen, or just flat out disappear only to come back 10 seconds later at full health and kill me... I have a rocket on my back, but get to stand around looking stupid? What the hell? The lack of mobility is beyond comprehension. Any plans to give us ANY type of utility from this thing that we should be able to use atleast once a minute?

Why are we the only class that has no distraction ability? Its nice that my only good attack gets taken away from me in PvP by every single person I fight, not to mention the chain stuns laid upon me while i slowly bleed away my health leaves me aghast. If I amazingly do get the upper hand, the fact that other class just calmly leaves the fight is astounding.

Now that I am done ranting, is there any plans to make a DPS merc a viable PvP class in the future? Sure, I am great shooting off rockets when no ones attention is turned on me, but god forbid if I get in a 1 on 1 situation. People have no issues escaping a merc; they are a joke. The fact this class is called a bountyhunter is somewhat of a joke in itself as they can't catch anything but NPCs. The class description we get when asked to choose our advanced class is a downright lie.

This class genuinely sucks. I have never been so disappointed with a class in an MMO and will probably re-spec it a healer and move on to a class that isn't a joke.

The only point I see is the lack of mobility comment from the jet pack. Everything else seems to be a QQ L2P issue. Hell, you aren't even 50. Our DPS in PvP and PvE is fine. Quit spamming just TM over and over and learn how to effectively use your other abilities when needed.

Just a thought, maybe make unload un-interruptable or possibly make tracer missile immune to interrupt with energy shield active. Thought would probably have to reduce the duration of energy shield or remove the dmg reduction(make it possibly an arsenal talent you would spec into).

Just a thought, maybe make unload un-interruptable or possibly make tracer missile immune to interrupt with energy shield active.

This is already an ability called 'Power Shield' in the Bodyguard tree.

Thought would probably have to reduce the duration of energy shield or remove the dmg reduction(make it possibly an arsenal talent you would spec into).

You should take a good look at the Bodyguard tree, it basically makes us gods for 12s when specced properly.