Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Carnage/Combat: Nice but not enough.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
Carnage/Combat: Nice but not enough.

TitusOfTides
05.09.2020 , 03:00 PM | #11
I have been experimenting with a very high Alacrity build to a great degree of success. My base is 20.20% and I get over 50% with Berserk active. 55.5% with Relic and Berserk active. It is incredibly fast. I can often hit 2 abilities before an opponent uses 1. My crit hasn't suffered much either and sits at a multiplier of 62%. Fanged God form and high Alacrity both turn the filler phase into some crazy fast Ataru strike limit exceeding autocrit spam extravaganza. 28s Force Choke CD is a killer too. 6 abilities with a 0.8s GCD 2-3 times a minute (0.7s with relic)? Sign me up! Your Ferocity windows are often over before the opponent can even respond.

Carnage has the highest Alacrity potential in the game, so if there are any Alacrity shenanigans to be had, Carnage is the spec that can take advantage of them (Mercs can reach slightly higher numbers, but not nearly as often as Carnage - like once every 5 minutes as opposed to once every 15-20s with Maras).

Edit: Sorry, wierd builds are like my thing so I got a little excited there lol. One of these days I'll actually get around to posting some data - that is, if the 0.7s GCD alone doesn't do it for you.
There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?

BonnerFett
05.11.2020 , 08:54 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TitusOfTides View Post
I have been experimenting with a very high Alacrity build to a great degree of success. My base is 20.20% and I get over 50% with Berserk active. 55.5% with Relic and Berserk active. It is incredibly fast. I can often hit 2 abilities before an opponent uses 1. My crit hasn't suffered much either and sits at a multiplier of 62%. Fanged God form and high Alacrity both turn the filler phase into some crazy fast Ataru strike limit exceeding autocrit spam extravaganza. 28s Force Choke CD is a killer too. 6 abilities with a 0.8s GCD 2-3 times a minute (0.7s with relic)? Sign me up! Your Ferocity windows are often over before the opponent can even respond.

Carnage has the highest Alacrity potential in the game, so if there are any Alacrity shenanigans to be had, Carnage is the spec that can take advantage of them (Mercs can reach slightly higher numbers, but not nearly as often as Carnage - like once every 5 minutes as opposed to once every 15-20s with Maras).

Edit: Sorry, wierd builds are like my thing so I got a little excited there lol. One of these days I'll actually get around to posting some data - that is, if the 0.7s GCD alone doesn't do it for you.
This sounds like a blast. What set are you using?

TitusOfTides
05.11.2020 , 03:31 PM | #13
I've been using Descent of the Fearless with this setup. Critical relic and Alacrity relic. Because of the diminishing returns on Critical, for 6s out of every 30s you have essentially full/normal Crit values but with hyper Alacrity.
There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?

vfreelancerv
05.11.2020 , 04:08 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by vfreelancerv View Post
Thank you for breaking this down. The spec has alot to be desired, falls short of dps, and doesnt have many options in how to play it. In terms of performance, you have to use fanged god. The other tacs are a waste. Agreed the spec has lost its burst. Idea i was kicking around is even giving ataru as small DOT to help with aoe and single target dps. Sortof like bloody slashes. Sever should be restored to its previous bonus too. Would love to see the Prosecution make blast splash. Would like to see Malevolence buffed to atleast 75% armor pen. Tome of Unyielding blades needs to be rebuilt entirely.. Maybe make it so during berzerk, your sweeping slashes hit the targets twice. Not saying these are golden ideas, but maybe something can become of at least one of them! Hope something changes for Carnage, because the spec is very fun to play and had a high skill cap before.
Yes! *claps* Very good break down. The spec is far to vulnerable to CC and is easily shut down. Its damage with fanged god in pvp is alright, but in order to output decent numbers you are railroaded into using this. Much of the marauder sets, and tacticals for ALL specs need to be re done. Carnage specifically has to see either a damage or utility gain somewhere somehow. Its an all dps class for crying out loud and (carnage) is doing sub-par damage in pvp and pve.

DavidAtkinson
05.11.2020 , 04:53 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by vfreelancerv View Post
Yes! *claps* Very good break down. The spec is far to vulnerable to CC and is easily shut down. Its damage with fanged god in pvp is alright, but in order to output decent numbers you are railroaded into using this. Much of the marauder sets, and tacticals for ALL specs need to be re done. Carnage specifically has to see either a damage or utility gain somewhere somehow. Its an all dps class for crying out loud and (carnage) is doing sub-par damage in pvp and pve.
It does ok damage... the main problem is that without fanged god the resource management is below abysmal and it's too much white damage. Also.. same as Anni , it's shut down very easily .

So not much point playing it unless you are a " fan" or "old fashioned".

This spec was the reason I main marauder for almost 5 years now, but over the years they literally destroyed it. Now it's.. Fury for most PVP content. I am bored to death of that spec.
Darth Malgus Server
Delusional Marauder Main

Sappharan
07.03.2020 , 09:05 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by alexzk View Post
fanged god -- only.
Masteries to provide defence/speed/heal.

You can just spam this 1 button and free cast transendence each 10-15s (mainly for raid wide 10% defence) and be top dps or close to it (at least 1 who takes agro from tank in whole OP). Also each hit heals you for around 2000 (mastery). Also Rebuke is near infinite, you have around 10s when it is not active.

With that one which resets camo on trans use u can be effective stealther - solo MM FP Cademimu in 38 mins with 302 gear/no set.

...about sets ...i think "victor" (which heals on kill) is good addition to all it. However, I didn't dig here too much. This one allows just move ahead in pve without stops.

Remember, dead dps does not do dps.
Something to consider.

Lord_Malganus
07.10.2020 , 05:34 AM | #17
Man they have ruined Carnage. How do you take the "acrobatic" spec, turn it into a saber swinging stationary turret, nerf damage and in anyway think that is an improvement?

Sappharan
07.16.2020 , 10:52 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_Malganus View Post
Man they have ruined Carnage. How do you take the "acrobatic" spec, turn it into a saber swinging stationary turret, nerf damage and in anyway think that is an improvement?
I am still having fun with it. Usually it does not hit hard...and that's the frustrating part. But, sometimes Lance hits rather hard...almost on par with Clashing Blast and Dispatch. Combine them, and it's...well, not abysmal, but it is not stellar either. Lance does not have a long cd...it's just waiting for Dispatch to proc again that can be a pain. So, I'm left spamming Blade Rush until it procs.

Mega_Fallos
07.31.2020 , 06:00 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sappharan View Post
I am still having fun with it. Usually it does not hit hard...and that's the frustrating part. But, sometimes Lance hits rather hard...almost on par with Clashing Blast and Dispatch. Combine them, and it's...well, not abysmal, but it is not stellar either. Lance does not have a long cd...it's just waiting for Dispatch to proc again that can be a pain. So, I'm left spamming Blade Rush until it procs.
No one have a fun to be beaten in the game. I play all classes,mara carnage is a baddest spec for pvp and pve. As a merc, sage and sniper i do better dps in opses, It's annoying to see range classes have a better dps. And u don't need wasting time like melee to run out or avoid "red circles". In pvp i feel spec total ...poor. Oper concealment have a top dps and best roots, offheal, god roll, dodge, reflect. Carnage is a pain. Jugger vengeance do better. PT AP have a better burst and dps as well as sin.
scoundrel Nonono Pleasestop
sentinel Theatre'tragedy
Badhidharmablow sage, Trax-trax marauder,
Knives'Carnival operative TOFN

Sappharan
08.01.2020 , 10:49 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Mega_Fallos View Post
No one have a fun to be beaten in the game. I play all classes,mara carnage is a baddest spec for pvp and pve. As a merc, sage and sniper i do better dps in opses, It's annoying to see range classes have a better dps. And u don't need wasting time like melee to run out or avoid "red circles". In pvp i feel spec total ...poor. Oper concealment have a top dps and best roots, offheal, god roll, dodge, reflect. Carnage is a pain. Jugger vengeance do better. PT AP have a better burst and dps as well as sin.
After playing Combat (Carnage) for awhile, I saw the overwhelming stuns, roots, snares, and knockbacks...and I elected to return to Concentration (Fury). Concentration just does not hit that hard (neither do any of the Sentinel specs) and yeah, the developers need to do better with Sentinel. Oh, they can perform well with a great healer, but without one, PvP is a slog. You're right, the class is not much fun at present. The luster of playing again has worn off.