Why is the Old Republic better than anything Disney has produced?

ApollosNight

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because Disney is focused on the final outcome($$$) and not the product that makes it. George Lucas made Star Wars because he wanted to, not just to get rich. Wealth was just a side benefit of his creation. Disney is the other way around; they focus on the wealth and largely ignore what they are producing. At least that is what is looks like from here. Edited by Yeldah_

disney starwars = social justice politics and activist storywriters and a complete dismantling of all the old so they can move on to the new vision they have for starwars. So until they realize simply putting "starwars" in the title isnt enough... it wont improve.

Probably because Disney is focused on the final outcome($$$) and not the product that makes it. George Lucas made Star Wars because he wanted to, not just to get rich. Wealth was just a side benefit of his creation. Disney is the other way around; they focus on the wealth and largely ignore what they are producing. At least that is what is looks like from here.

If George really didn't care about money he would never of sold it in the first place. Of course its about money, it always will be and that is why he created Star Wars so he could fatten it and bait it. Now he can retire happy with billions in his pockets and his family never has to work again so long as they are careful with that money. Even his great, great, great, grand children would be living it up on a cushy lifestyle.

Being the guy who created Star Wars and building a whole film industry around, it was just a job to him.

Seriously: why?

Disney is all about childrens TV and influencing young minds about the concept of social justice and equality. It used to be just about entertainment but those days are long dead and buried.

SWTOR was released in 2011, before Disney brought Lucasfilm out in 2012. Basically SWTOR got lucky with the timing of when it was developed and released. :p

Edited by Celise

I personally enjoy both the Old Republic-era and Disney´s new era in Canon. Legends has many good stuff within it, like Thrawn, the Old Republic-era with its many interesting characters like Revan and Kreia, or the beginnings of the Sith Order and so forth. But the new Canon has amazing things too that just make me very excited for Star Wars in general: all new films, particularly Rogue One and The Last Jedi, Rebels tv-series that greatly expands upon the universe, like the World between Worlds and offers new perspectives to Rebellion. And of course on top of cake, new Thrawn-novels that expand greatly upon his character and persona, my favorite Star Wars-character ever <3

Yeah, I'm a shameless Thrawn-fanboy :p

But to add more into discussion, it's a matter of taste and opinion in the end. I see why some people may not like the new things, but that's fine, each to their own opinion.

Edited by Rebamcfan

Probably because Disney is focused on the final outcome($$$) and not the product that makes it. George Lucas made Star Wars because he wanted to, not just to get rich. Wealth was just a side benefit of his creation. Disney is the other way around; they focus on the wealth and largely ignore what they are producing. At least that is what is looks like from here.

Gotta disagree with you there. Disney has put in a ton more thought and care into making quality Star Wars products than Lucas did from RotJ onward (certainly worlds better than the prequels). He created a wonderful universe, but it was a merchandising cash-cow from very early on.

• 2 weeks later...

While this is merely a subjective point of view. The reason why The Old Republic is better than the current Disney Star Wars is because it actually gives us new and original ideas not yet explored in the saga.

The MAIN THING I hope Disney will do is move on from nostalgia. Move on from the Original Trilogy references. Move on from Empire vs. Rebels. Star Wars is not all about that and to think it is... is only limiting its potential.

The Old Republic with its eight classes have proven that the galaxy is filled with a plethora of colorful stories and it doesn't have to be just about an evil galactic empire against a small band of underdogs. If Disney does explore new territory and even introduce The Old Republic era in canon, that may rejuvenate interest in the saga and reel back all the fans they lost after The Last Jedi.

Not necessarily better, but it caters more to a different type of worldview than those espoused in Disney's.

The Disney management of Star Wars - as far as the movies are concerned - caters to an ADHD mindset. What I mean by that is that it is focused on small segments which make sense in the few seconds you watch them and you're promptly assaulted by another segment that does not necessarily have any continuity with the previous ones. Right after you watch it and your brain engages in questioning the absurdity of it (like Rey never having trained once in her life with a lightsaber or the force and is somehow able to withstand one who trained with Luke Skywalker himself), you're presented with another scene that is just as absurd, but your brain is not given any respite to properly assess the idiocy of it all. Only later, after you watched this nonsense for an hour and a half, you can sum it up as absolute garbage. It's a series of unconnected "oh shiny!" scenes. Take TLJ for example: aside from the political agenda that is there whether we want it or not, that movie is a primer on how NOT to make anything that remotely resembles a good product. No continuity. No cohesion between one scene and the next. No verossimilitude. Complete disrespect for good technique. The writing was abysmal. I could go on and on but it was simply a technically deficient product without any redeeming qualities. The biggest failures are the scripts themselves - SW became a platform to advance ideology, not a canvas in which great moral questions are raised and, for good or ill, resolved.

The Old Republic, on the other hand, is the opposite. In that canvas big, moral questions are posed and resolved. They have far more latitude to be politically incorrect, for example: take the scoundrel / gunslinger storyline. Or the Imperial Agent one. These stories have the right mix of humor, intrigue, suspense, etc. Then again, I'm talking about the old SWTOR. These days the lore has been absent, good writing is gone, and they've been steadily pushed towards "political correctivism" by the players themselves - remember the outrage about the server names when there was the big merge not so long ago? And while I prefer TOR personally for what was made with it in the past, I don't have high hopes for its future.

In the end, Disney is terrible for SW for the most part, and the old republic - the game as well as the era itself - will be steadily destroyed to incorporate the same collectivist mindset that destroys all that is interesting, unique and worthwhile.

Seriously: why?

Because the stories from Legends are just more interesting and fun to see/ hear/ play than the things they've done.

Canon is not bad, don't think that I might have this opinion, but there are so many good stories and things in Legends which could be much more entertaining for Star Wars fans.

Tbh, even though it was not made by Disney, the only thing I do really like about Canon are the Clone Troopers. There are so many of them and they all have such interesting stories and personal qualities, as even though they are all "the same", they are just so different. That's one of the things I like the most, not only in Star Wars, but in other things as well.

Not necessarily better, but it caters more to a different type of worldview than those espoused in Disney's.

The Disney management of Star Wars - as far as the movies are concerned - caters to an ADHD mindset. What I mean by that is that it is focused on small segments which make sense in the few seconds you watch them and you're promptly assaulted by another segment that does not necessarily have any continuity with the previous ones. Right after you watch it and your brain engages in questioning the absurdity of it (like Rey never having trained once in her life with a lightsaber or the force and is somehow able to withstand one who trained with Luke Skywalker himself), you're presented with another scene that is just as absurd, but your brain is not given any respite to properly assess the idiocy of it all.

I'm not sure I understand what is absurd with the various scenes within TLJ. The scenes transition smoothly from one to another, following a continuous story that eventually leads to an ending.

Only later, after you watched this nonsense for an hour and a half, you can sum it up as absolute garbage. It's a series of unconnected "oh shiny!" scenes. Take TLJ for example: aside from the political agenda that is there whether we want it or not, that movie is a primer on how NOT to make anything that remotely resembles a good product. No continuity. No cohesion between one scene and the next. No verossimilitude. Complete disrespect for good technique. The writing was abysmal. I could go on and on but it was simply a technically deficient product without any redeeming qualities. The biggest failures are the scripts themselves - SW became a platform to advance ideology, not a canvas in which great moral questions are raised and, for good or ill, resolved.

Well, Star Wars has always been more or less about promoting tolerance and democracy, more progressives attitudes, so the things we have seen with exhange in ownership aren't really new things.

The Old Republic, on the other hand, is the opposite. In that canvas big, moral questions are posed and resolved. They have far more latitude to be politically incorrect, for example: take the scoundrel / gunslinger storyline. Or the Imperial Agent one. These stories have the right mix of humor, intrigue, suspense, etc. Then again, I'm talking about the old SWTOR. These days the lore has been absent, good writing is gone, and they've been steadily pushed towards "political correctivism" by the players themselves - remember the outrage about the server names when there was the big merge not so long ago? And while I prefer TOR personally for what was made with it in the past, I don't have high hopes for its future.

In the end, Disney is terrible for SW for the most part, and the old republic - the game as well as the era itself - will be steadily destroyed to incorporate the same collectivist mindset that destroys all that is interesting, unique and worthwhile.

I would argue that they have been bringing up new things that are in turn bringing lots of new people to world of Star Wars, introducing them to this vast and wonderful galaxy we all love dearly. I would argue too that they're bringing lots of moral conflict and resolution to their stories, like we see with new Thrawn, Kylo and other creations in Disney-era.

Edited by Rebamcfan

Because Star Wars has never done social commentary... ever... especially not under Lucas.

Not true, Lucas just did it in a less obvious way that worked to the world he was making, made sense and didn't overshadow the story as a whole... Disney... yeah, that's not what they're doing, lol.

You can see it in TOR as well... it's just done in a more lucas way that makes sense to the universe/game, than the weird stuff disney is doing.

Not true, Lucas just did it in a less obvious way that worked to the world he was making, made sense and didn't overshadow the story as a whole... Disney... yeah, that's not what they're doing, lol.

You can see it in TOR as well... it's just done in a more lucas way that makes sense to the universe/game, than the weird stuff disney is doing.

That's the joke, and I don't keep up with Canon enough to know how good or bad their social commentary is but at least as far as the movies are concerned I do not think they had a bad concept, just a poorly-done execution.

Edited by FlameYOL

That's joke, and I don't keep up with Canon enough to know how good or bad their social commentary is but at least as far as the movies are concerned I do not think they had a bad concept, just a poorly-done execution.

I guess you missed episode 8: the last Jedi. Making hyperspace a weapon fundamentally broke almost everything star wars lore. The galaxy doesn't make any sort of sense in new canon. Inserted for the sole purpose of social commentary of purple hair girl knows best.... contrast to cantina scene in a new hope... 'droids not welcome here, he'll have to wait outside' subtle, doesn't break the movie barely noticeable... but still memorable to me, I think about that scene anytime I'm somewhere and someone is being discriminated against in that fashion, but present especially in it's day, social commentary... new cannon is just girl = win... not nearly as subtle as Leia being one of the first lead female roles that was a fighter, and political leader... modern cannon took subtle political commentary and turned it into obvious lore breaking plot holes to push a political agenda.

Lucas vs Disney is a perfect example of how to subtly push a political agenda and build a world masses will love at the same time vs how to break a world and shove politics down your throat... is the difference between a scene I'll remember, probably 'til I die vs oh god another SJW movie ruining a perfectly good world I've come to love.

SWTOR is a bit more lucas than disney in their pushing narrative. It's there, but, less obvious, and not lore breaking.

Edited by PyroAmos

I guess you missed episode 8: the last Jedi. Making hyperspace a weapon fundamentally broke almost everything star wars lore. The galaxy doesn't make any sort of sense in new canon. Inserted for the sole purpose of social commentary of purple hair girl knows best.... contrast to cantina scene in a new hope... 'droids not welcome here, he'll have to wait outside' subtle, doesn't break the movie barely noticeable... but still memorable to me, I think about that scene anytime I'm somewhere and someone is being discriminated against in that fashion, but present especially in it's day, social commentary... new cannon is just girl = win... not nearly as subtle as Leia being one of the first lead female roles that was a fighter, and political leader... modern cannon took subtle political commentary and turned it into obvious lore breaking plot holes to push a political agenda.

Lucas vs Disney is a perfect example of how to subtly push a political agenda and build a world masses will love at the same time vs how to break a world and shove politics down your throat... is the difference between a scene I'll remember, probably 'til I die vs oh god another SJW movie ruining a perfectly good world I've come to love.

SWTOR is a bit more lucas than disney in their pushing narrative. It's there, but, less obvious, and not lore breaking.

You're twisting my words here, I don't think a character like Holdo is a bad concept, however her character was poorly executed. Bad concept=/=bad execution, a proper writer could've done a strong leader that was worthy of being Leia's sucessor.

You're twisting my words here, I don't think a character like Holdo is a bad concept, however her character was poorly executed. Bad concept=/=bad execution, a proper writer could've done a strong leader that was worthy of being Leia's sucessor.

Wont get an argument from me there, lol. Why they swapped directors in the middle of the new trilogy and threw out the original script for Ep8 is beyond me. Going to be interesting to see what JJ can salvage from it for Ep9. Honestly be better if they just threw out TLJ, pretended that film never happened and let JJ do the proper Ep8/9 that was planned. So many compounding bad decisions by Disney.

Edited by PyroAmos

...before the dark times....before the empire....

SWTOR was create before the heavy hand of modern "progressive" SJW cancer that has spread through the entertainment industry. If you havent been watching the story unfold, this SJW garbage and its advocates have been waging an increasingly aggressive war on fantasy and sci-fi domains. Probably because of the percieved predominent "groups/types" of individuals that reside here...many of which reject the narrative being pushed into their faces...

Enjoy while it last....

Ashur

Disney made a mistake, a very costly one at that.

With every "New" or in the case of star WARs "resurrected" franchise have to reflect the time and era it is made in.

Because of this we see many franchises that focus mre or less only on said reflection.

Superman jumps to mind, the very essence of this franchise is Superman saving the Earth from super criminals.

However much like Disney did With star WARs and what happens to most franchises is that they have to "relect"

so we got Louis & Clark, here the fucus was NOT superman saving the world from super criminals, but the sole focus was on the romace/relations between Louis lane and Superman.....drinking coffee, dating, dancing and doing everything that is NOT SUPERMAN.

Now lets move to Star Wars.

The franchise had been ressurected by Disney, by executives want to play it safe, they want to relect today's day and age, and social Dynamics.

So rather than focus on this winin the franchise as it was, they possibly out of "fear" wanted to make absolutely sure, so they included aspects of socila politics, race, gender etc etc but they did so for the sole sake of refelcting Our time and age rather than using said elements to further the story.

When they then began attacking the fan base, calling them racist and sexist for wanting a WELL WRITTEN and SOLID female lead, and "minority" symbol, then Disny made their biggest mistake.

Let us look at Holdo, lets look at her ROLE, not her gender or looks, but what she did to further the story.

She kept her "silly" master plan Secret, refusing to share it With her subordinates......somehow this makes her a stong woman in the eyes Disney, though an extreely stupid one in everybody else's eyes.

She decided finally to take the ONLY SHIP the resistance had that was a true warship, and only after 4/5th of the fleet had been destroyed in the slow Chase....for nothing other than to cement Holdo's utter stupidity.

Had she been a strong leader then she would have done the lightspeed attack sooner, not waited until 4/5th were lost, she would also have used a very small ship, maybe even one controlled by a droid. ANYTHING ELSE than what she did.

Then we have Finn, another character that unfortunately is there solely for reflecting and so Disney can bang their chest and claim to be inclusive.

So they come With Finn, a caricature of a "black man" worse than the 1930s Cartoons (and they are not Nice)

He is the FIRST which is the only thing they are concerned about.

They naturally at the time forgot Lando and Mace windu.............both black and actually DID SOMETHING to further the story.

What exactly did Finn do?

For no reason what so ever he decided to betray the first order and break out poe, so far so good, he then played a big part in TFA, a little confused about his here and now, but still he contributed to the story.

Enter TLJ; here he walks in a funny suit so we all can laugh of the black man, i am surprised he didn't eat watermelons too. He then after being the Hero in TFA, suddenly wanted to run away, for no reason, but he was ON SCREEN...( so was the black People in 1930s cartoons when they ate watermelons, it is NOT the right thing to do)

He then got to play sidekick to Rose Tico's totally meaningless story Arch.

Now don't get me wrong, Rose was cool, i like her but her character did nothing what so ever to further the story.

What did she do?

She was told that only ONE MAN could Slice the New order, they saw him, but got in a little trouble.

Rather than trying to contact the man they HAD TO FIND TO SUCCEED, rose decided the best way to help the resistance was NOT TO GET THE SLICER, but to free the animals ( that ended up being killed) and then they decided to og With DJ to the first order KNOWING ONLY ONE COULD SLICE, and his name was not DJ.

Then they ran around on the first order ship like headless chickes......BUT IT WAS WOMAN'S IDEA......so they continued and ended up doing Nothing what so ever.

They then managed to get back,, here Finn now was DOING SOMETHING, he was the soldier he was trained to be, he did HIS THING, and then rose, again just to have an asian femal on screen, NOT TO HAVE THE CHARACTER DO ANYTHING to further the story, she managed to destroy everthing FINN was trying to do, destroy his character....but Disney mad claim she was the FIRST asian famel and it was "that" that was important, not to actually have her do something, though if they had bothered to see the prequals they would have seen femal asian jedi who actually DID SOMETHING in the story.

And the list goes on and on about how Disney inserted scenes, issues, and characters for the sole purpose of claiming they had not "left anyone out". and they continue to Call fans haters when they ask for a STRONG female character over a charicature that makes female protagonists look at best silly.

That is why SWTOR and everthing else not Disney is better than the current

Disney made a mistake, a very costly one at that.

With every "New" or in the case of star WARs "resurrected" franchise have to reflect the time and era it is made in.

Because of this we see many franchises that focus mre or less only on said reflection.

Now lets move to Star Wars.

The franchise had been ressurected by Disney, by executives want to play it safe, they want to relect today's day and age, and social Dynamics.

So rather than focus on this winin the franchise as it was, they possibly out of "fear" wanted to make absolutely sure, so they included aspects of socila politics, race, gender etc etc but they did so for the sole sake of refelcting Our time and age rather than using said elements to further the story.

Yes, the new films take influence from our age and politics, just as the Originals and Prequels did when they came out. Besides, Star Wars has always been strong on progressive and liberal stances. And besides, Star Wars isn't just for you or me, it's for everyone regardless of their identity. These new films are bringing new people to this franchise, allowing them to delve then deeper into this universe that so many of us love.

When they then began attacking the fan base, calling them racist and sexist for wanting a WELL WRITTEN and SOLID female lead, and "minority" symbol, then Disny made their biggest mistake.

Since when has Disney "attacked" the fans for not liking something? Daisy has been the one who has gotten all **** upon her for portraying Rey, who seems to be too much for some people to handle.

Let us look at Holdo, lets look at her ROLE, not her gender or looks, but what she did to further the story.

She kept her "silly" master plan Secret, refusing to share it With her subordinates......somehow this makes her a stong woman in the eyes Disney, though an extreely stupid one in everybody else's eyes.

She decided finally to take the ONLY SHIP the resistance had that was a true warship, and only after 4/5th of the fleet had been destroyed in the slow Chase....for nothing other than to cement Holdo's utter stupidity.

Holdo was superior to Poe, and she didn't have to share her plan with him due her senior position. Yes, it was catastrophic that she didn't tell, but one could argue that Poe's own hotheadedness and recklessness caused it; his risky plan got most of the Resistance fighters destroyed, and he disobeyed a direct order from his superior (Leia), even if he did it for a good cause.

Had she been a strong leader then she would have done the lightspeed attack sooner, not waited until 4/5th were lost, she would also have used a very small ship, maybe even one controlled by a droid. ANYTHING ELSE than what she did.

Hyperspace ramming isn't that simple nor that effective. The Resistance simply didn't have enough ships to use nor was Holdo going to ram the Raddus through Supremacy at first since the escape transports were going to avoid detection until DJ betrayed their position to FO (that he had heard the via the comm between Finn and Poe.

Then we have Finn, another character that unfortunately is there solely for reflecting and so Disney can bang their chest and claim to be inclusive.

So they come With Finn, a caricature of a "black man" worse than the 1930s Cartoons (and they are not Nice)

He is the FIRST which is the only thing they are concerned about.

They naturally at the time forgot Lando and Mace windu.............both black and actually DID SOMETHING to further the story.

What exactly did Finn do?

For no reason what so ever he decided to betray the first order and break out poe, so far so good, he then played a big part in TFA, a little confused about his here and now, but still he contributed to the story.

Enter TLJ; here he walks in a funny suit so we all can laugh of the black man, i am surprised he didn't eat watermelons too. He then after being the Hero in TFA, suddenly wanted to run away, for no reason, but he was ON SCREEN...( so was the black People in 1930s cartoons when they ate watermelons, it is NOT the right thing to do)

He then got to play sidekick to Rose Tico's totally meaningless story Arch.

The reason why Finn wanted to ran away was since he was afraid (and that he wanted to find Rey). With Rose, he was able to overcome his fears and become truly a member of the Resistance, finding a cause he was willing to believe.

Now don't get me wrong, Rose was cool, i like her but her character did nothing what so ever to further the story.

What did she do?

She was told that only ONE MAN could Slice the New order, they saw him, but got in a little trouble.

Rather than trying to contact the man they HAD TO FIND TO SUCCEED, rose decided the best way to help the resistance was NOT TO GET THE SLICER, but to free the animals ( that ended up being killed) and then they decided to og With DJ to the first order KNOWING ONLY ONE COULD SLICE, and his name was not DJ.

They weren't trying to the Master Code Breaker anymore since DJ literally tells them that he can slice the Supremacy and get them inside. For them, it is a much better alternative solution than trying to find the one man that Maz described, possibly ending in jail again or worse.

Then they ran around on the first order ship like headless chickes......BUT IT WAS WOMAN'S IDEA......so they continued and ended up doing Nothing what so ever.

They then managed to get back,, here Finn now was DOING SOMETHING, he was the soldier he was trained to be, he did HIS THING, and then rose, again just to have an asian femal on screen, NOT TO HAVE THE CHARACTER DO ANYTHING to further the story, she managed to destroy everthing FINN was trying to do, destroy his character....but Disney mad claim she was the FIRST asian famel and it was "that" that was important, not to actually have her do something, though if they had bothered to see the prequals they would have seen femal asian jedi who actually DID SOMETHING in the story.

They weren't running around like headless chickens. They knew where they were going, but when they were spotted and with DJ spilling the beans on the Resistance's plans, things went wrong real bad.

And the list goes on and on about how Disney inserted scenes, issues, and characters for the sole purpose of claiming they had not "left anyone out". and they continue to Call fans haters when they ask for a STRONG female character over a charicature that makes female protagonists look at best silly.

That is why SWTOR and everthing else not Disney is better than the current

I would suggest to open your mind towards all the new things that Star Wars under Disney has brought. Now, I love this game and the Legends in general. But, I also love the Canon for all the new things they've brougth to this universe. Star Wars isn't just about politics or gender as you seem to see it being. It is stories of various kinds of persons trying to make their living and adventures in a galaxy far, far away.

Edited by Rebamcfan

I'd have to agree that the characters are horribly created, especially in TLJ. Rose needed one scene. Stop Finn from using the escape pod and have him escorted to the brig. The entire plot after that 1 scene was nothing but a waste of time. As for the rest of the plot. it's nothing but a Slow car chase with one car running out of gas. I'm sorry, but that is the dumbest plot I've ever heard of. Disney Seriously needs to get people who know how to make characters, and stories meaningful. I've seen no character in the new trilogy that is interesting at all, even in Rogue One the characters are bland (but at least the overall story in Rogue One was decent). Edited by Toraak