Enough about Theron. Please :)

Naholen

I have played many MMOs through the years. But i can still remember how i felt the first time i played one. The magic in it. The way it felt and the way I felt. My heart was pounding so hard when I was exploring, almost jumped off the chair when an enemy mob appeared behind me. It was a new experience, it was amazing. Learning how to play. The first raid... etc. After a few years though, and trying different MMOs, I have never been able to experience again that awe and wonderment of the first MMO.

The first game I ever played that was developed by BW was Dragon Age: Origin. I remember getting so stunned during the story that I cried at the battle of Ostagar when Duncan died. (If you never played it, i suggest you try it.) I loved the game because of the empathy that it build toward the companions and supporting characters. And in my opinion, a game that effects you emotionally is a really good game. That is why I decided when SWTOR came out to give it a try.

Which brings me to the point of the post. The Traitor.

A lot of people are angry that Theron is the traitor, but admit it, the new expansion would have been quite boring if the traitor had been Bowdar or Gault, or any other minor companion. People want engaging stories, something that keeps them into the game. And that is what they did. If you don't have something that latches you to it, what fun is it in playing one game or the other? Sure I was pissed to find out that my LI had betrayed me (4 of my toons have him as LI), but the fact that it hurt, the fact that it shocked me, brought me back to the reason I choose to try SWTOR. I wanted to play a game that kept me emotionally interested in the story. Even choosing between Torian and Vette was upsetting, but again, yes it was upsetting and therefore it was good.

So kudos to BW for this new twist. I hope to see more emotional content next chapters.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you!🤗 Very nicely and well said! I personally don't want to continue the story with the same two "most important allies for years" preferably.

Unless they give us a bigger crew that's.going to be equally relevant, I want to see said traitor and the blonde hair lady to become less hinging on the story.

It was never an issue in ME or Dragon age as there were.so many relevant companions. Here there's only two. I feel sad for those who love Him and Her, but it isn't exactly fair either to always keep them around and never have something fresh happening or having the possibility of others mattering too.

I prefer another 700 useless ranks of cxp over that.

But even if it's not going to go the way I prefer, I wouldn't threathen and cancel my subscription over it, I'll just accept it as is. It can't always go the way you want it to go. :)

Edited by Eshvara

I agree with the main conclusion.

And probably everyone prefers something meaningful to be happening than something boring.

The complaints are rather because of some

practical issues: invested presents to get inluence, possiblity of losing romanced character, awfully slow pacing of the story so we are left with cliffhanger;

style and logic of the storytelling: many people think they would write this better, make more dialogue options, say something differently etc.

Edited by Typhaos

It's not so much the story and who the traitor is, the more I think about it the more this is really good, he finally gets centre stage and there is some potential for a lot of emotion especially for romanced characters.

The problem is not in the story but in how they will conclude it (for me anyway). Characters that betray or disobey, tend to be given a kill option for those that wish to give out severe punishment. This ensures that those that do not take the kill option will keep said character but they will have a very diminished role in the overall story. Theron is a very big part of the overall story and to think that his role will be diminished to a background companion only good for crafting or pulling out to do quests is what's worrying the most.

Edited by serenitty

It's not so much the story and who the traitor is, the more I think about it the more this is really good, he finally gets centre stage and there is some potential for a lot of emotion especially for romanced characters.

The problem is not in the story but in how they will conclude it (for me anyway). Characters that betray or disobey, tend to be given a kill option for those that wish to give out severe punishment. This ensures that those that do not take the kill option will keep said character but they will have a very diminished role in the overall story. The traitor is a very big part of the overall story and to think that his role will be diminished to a background companion only good for crafting or pulling out to do quests is what's worrying the most.

Kill option for companions in Bioware games usually means one of two things though - revival retcon or end of major role (or any actual presence whatsoever)

The only time they actually delivered sizeable and varying content for killable companions was ME3 (not all of them) but that was after massive fan pressure.

Edited by Pietrastor

The problem is not in the story but in how they will conclude it (for me anyway). Characters that betray or disobey, tend to be given a kill option for those that wish to give out severe punishment. This ensures that those that do not take the kill option will keep said character but they will have a very diminished role in the overall story. The traitor is a very big part of the overall story and to think that his role will be diminished to a background companion only good for crafting or pulling out to do quests is what's worrying the most.

That's what concerns me as well, that because they made him a traitor, that there will be a kill option and that will reduce his presence in any future story. I DON'T WANT to see that happen. I want to see Theron have an important and visible role in stories in the future.

As you said, those with kill options given, have been reduced to nothing and I don't want to see that for Theron. It's bad enough that Quinn will likely never speak again because of this.

Kill Theron, reduce Theron's presence...you may as well kill my sub too. :(

Edited by Lunafox

That's what concerns me as well, that because they made him a traitor, that there will be a kill option and that will reduce his presence in any future story. I DON'T WANT to see that happen. I want to see Theron have an important and visible role in stories in the future.

As you said, those with kill options given, have been reduced to nothing and I don't want to see that for Theron. It's bad enough that Quinn will likely never speak again because of this.

Pretty much how I feel so no. There's not enough we'll keep this up until Bioware either releases a statement better satisfying then asking us to "trust" where Theron is concerned when it comes down to we don't trust Bioware's writing process and are basing this on their past behavior. So no not enough not until they can guarantee Theron won't have a kill option or that they will not push him off to the side on us like they have the past. So kill option appears and no guarantees Bioware can say goodbye to my sub.

Edited by DarthEnrique

As you said, those with kill options given, have been reduced to nothing and I don't want to see that for Theron. It's bad enough that Quinn will likely never speak again because of this.(

I have a character who romanced Koth and I don't believe we'll ever see him again in a cut scene or story wise, most we'll probably get is a letter or two like in Umbara. If Theron or anyone else can be killed it's usually their death sentence story wise if you let them live, it's a no win situation.

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

I think this is the point the OP has missed. The story with Theron has the potential to be excellent actually and gives Theron as central role as some of us wanted. The fact that there are so many emotionally charged posts about the Umbara story line supports that he is a much liked character. Unfortunately, the potential for a kill option also comes with this story line. As said above and in other threads, kill options mean putting a main character out of the story (Koth for example couldn't even be redeemed and brought back into the alliance after he betrayed you - he could only exile himself; Vette/Torian are probably out for good depending on who you chose to rescue; Aric has been reduced to letters & token comments and I suspect Kaliyo has too). I might be a huge Quinn fan however remove Theron as well and I'm out.

However, if this story line has been taken due to reasons out of the writer/developers control (such as the rumour about Theron's voice actor leaving) then they need to be honest and tell us.

Like others here have said. Only thing I despise about this turn of events is if they give a kill option when Theron returns, since like everyone else who can be, he won't show up again in the story outside of -maybe- one line, and the cut+paste romance scenes that every present/returned LI shares.

I love the entire traitor arc, and the questioning, excitedly waiting for the next snippet of info to see where this leads etc. It has the possibility to be a great story, my fear and everything hanging on it is the conclusion of the story, in regard to if this arc is it for Theron in the storyline or not. This is the reason so many of is hate this revelation. If Bioware announced, and stuck with, that he won't have any kill option a ton of the dislike etc for the story arc will evaporate. But of course they'll never do that.

Edited by Asmodesu

However, if this story line has been taken due to reasons out of the writer/developers control (such as the rumour about Theron's voice actor leaving) then they need to be honest and tell us.

I've never even heard this rumour before, if it's true then I'm super worried. :(

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

I'm sorry, but I am drooling at the chance to kill them (Lana too) :p

If they put The Order mask and robes on Direct Sale, I can be appeased :)

I've never even heard this rumour before, if it's true then I'm super worried. :(

Yeah that is super worrying. :( I dont mind that they made him the traitor as the story HOPEFULLY will be good from here out, but dont kill him off please. Or i will kill my sub too, i enjoy his character.

I'm sorry, but I am drooling at the chance to kill them (Lana too) :p

If they put The Order mask and robes on Direct Sale, I can be appeased :)

I want him dead for all the reasons people don't, simply because he and Lana matter too much in the story and have been for too long. If there was a bigger crew with equally relevant members I wouldn't give a damn. But that's not the case here.

If the story wouldn't always be "Theron Lana and you doing something, I wouldn't care if they lived a thousand years.

Edited by Eshvara

Maybe Troy Baker just wants out or has more Joker work to focus on and it's not up to you. Kinda puts BW in a bind.

Nah thats a cop out when VAs can be swapped, which as odd as it would feel for a time would be preferable to many of us then to destroy the relationships we have built with the characters over the years.

Edited by Suzsi

Nah thats a cop out when VAs can be swapped, which as odd as it would feel for a time would be preferable to many of us then to destroy the relationships we have built with the characters over the years.

This ^^. As much as I love Troy Baker's voice and how much I associate it with being Theron, another VA would be more preferable than killing off the character.

Edited by serenitty

I don't believe that for a second, or the very least, you're in the minority. The ladies here like the characters BECAUSE of the voice. Case in point: Quinn. Absolute zero of a character, but 500 pages of oh that voice :drool: Or, the one that really makes no sense: Arcann. Murderous psychopath, but lawd dat voice. Girl betta get you some...

Edited by kodrac

I don't believe that for a second. The ladies here like the characters BECAUSE of the voice. Case in point: Quinn. Absolute zero of a character, but 500 pages of oh that voice :drool: Or, the one that really makes no sense: Arcann. Murderous psychopath, but lawd dat voice. Girl betta get you some...

You can get used to a different voice over time, it can be quite jarring at first but it can be done. It's not all about the voice and no not all the ladies are all about the voice and those that say that you will probably find will love the character just as much, the voice is only a part of it.

Coming from being a lady myself.

I don't believe that for a second. The ladies here like the characters BECAUSE of the voice. Case in point: Quinn. Absolute zero of a character, but 500 pages of oh that voice :drool: Or, the one that really makes no sense: Arcann. Murderous psychopath, but lawd dat voice. Girl betta get you some...

I am a lady here as is Serenity. I think we both just proved that to be incorrect. Yes I do enjoy Troy Baker as a VA but I would prefer not to lose Theron just because of the VA leaving. I also care just as much about my characters, the ones Ive taken through all of these storys and it is not an outcome I wish for them, Id rather see a change in VA then the utter destruction of their stories

I don't believe that for a second, or the very least, you're in the minority. The ladies here like the characters BECAUSE of the voice. Case in point: Quinn. Absolute zero of a character, but 500 pages of oh that voice :drool: Or, the one that really makes no sense: Arcann. Murderous psychopath, but lawd dat voice. Girl betta get you some...

While I like Arcann's voice a lot, I find his character actually attractive + the model used. I've watched that cinematic way too much.:rak_03:

And as for murderous psychopath, aren't all Sith!!?!??

While I like Arcann's voice a lot, I find his character actually attractive + the model used. I've watched that cinematic way too much.:rak_03:

And as for murderous psychopath, aren't all Sith!!?!??

I don't really have a voice kink over Therons VA he mostly just seems like a normal guy to me.

Arics on the other hand is a different story :D id still rather a VA change there then for my girls to lose Aric too. Id get used to a new one in time.

Edited by Suzsi