How to deal with snipers..

Sylvarine

Just looking for some friendly advice as a returne when it concerns snipers. I've ran probably about 200 warzones or so in the past month as I've leveled a new pt back up to 50. The only class I seem to have any issue with dealing with effectively is snipers. Never had much of an issue with any other class 1v1 except for them. Now snipers w/o a clue are relatively easy to deal with as you can tell which ones have half a brain and which ones don't.

Going up against a person that knows how to play the class though, I've found no reliable way to deal with them outside of los ranging them basically playing peek-a-boo while slowly whittling them down. Trying to charge head on generally results in a suicide mission due to their knock-back/root which I get pulverized. Even blowing my full burst < ap spec btw> with imo/rs/flame etc just never seems to be enough. Is there something I'm missing or are they just really a extremely hard counter class to deal with. Kinda makes me chuckle when I avg 5-6k crits at the highest at 49 atm while I see snipers in the 30ish range pushing close to 10k crits with 600-800k dmg in warzones. Is the class just a broken juggernaught of a class or does that change with hitting 50+? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Go buy some seismic grenades, and toss one at a sniper.

They should get pulled out of entrench and stunned for four seconds.

Hit explosive fuel, and interleave shoulder cannon rockets with every attack on the GCD.

A full rotation of that should leave them near dead.

I don't believe grenades remove snipers from entrench. In fact I am 99.9% sure they don't. However it will remove them from cover if that you meant which is what I assume you did. In any case. If you have all your defensives active and offensives active you can beat a sniper in a DPS race face tanking them if you start 10m away. If you start 30m away you need to be a little more clever by using some 30 meter abilities as well as LOS. There are tricks to 1 v 1 every class and it also depends on the spec the sniper is. E.g., lethality you can't LOS you need to finish the fight quickly or the dots will eat you up. However, marksmen you may take your time using LOS and using explosive dart and kiting etc. My advice would be to roll a sniper and play it to level 25 so you understand their basic mechanics and what would be extremely hard for you to beat as a sniper. You can whisper me in game on the bastion (Koozi) if you want to talk about it in detail.

I don't believe grenades remove snipers from entrench. In fact I am 99.9% sure they don't. However it will remove them from cover if that you meant which is what I assume you did. In any case. If you have all your defensives active and offensives active you can beat a sniper in a DPS race face tanking them if you start 10m away. If you start 30m away you need to be a little more clever by using some 30 meter abilities as well as LOS. There are tricks to 1 v 1 every class and it also depends on the spec the sniper is. E.g., lethality you can't LOS you need to finish the fight quickly or the dots will eat you up. However, marksmen you may take your time using LOS and using explosive dart and kiting etc. My advice would be to roll a sniper and play it to level 25 so you understand their basic mechanics and what would be extremely hard for you to beat as a sniper. You can whisper me in game on the bastion (Koozi) if you want to talk about it in detail.

You're right, I meant cover. Entrench only lasts 20 seconds, just hang tight and LOS until that's done and then you can pull them out of cover with a seismic.

I don't really have an issue against snipers in AP spec because of Hydrolic Overrides. Can't root or knock me back when I've got those turned on. Save CC break for Flashbang and don't bother using Flamethrower unless they're really bad.

EDIT: And if its Engineering spec forget everything I said, because that spec is the anti-melee spec.

I don't really have an issue against snipers in AP spec because of Hydrolic Overrides. Can't root or knock me back when I've got those turned on. Save CC break for Flashbang and don't bother using Flamethrower unless they're really bad.

EDIT: And if its Engineering spec forget everything I said, because that spec is the anti-melee spec.

Got yourself a wall-bang once did you? Lol!

Snipers are one of the if not 'the' most fun classes to face as a Powertech in my opinion. It's a class that you need your brain for in order to beat it, and the initiative lies completely with you: If you do the right things, you will beat it. If you underestimate it, you will loose horribly.

That said, if you manage to get to him relatively unscathed, you have all the tools to kill the sniper. Tactical use of HO is key to prevent the knockback + root combo. Snipers have one melee range stun, and a 30m mez. Typically they will use their stun first, and their mez last. Their mez will allow them to reposition to max range, and open up on you with an ambush. At that point the fight is probably over in their favor, so save your CC breaker for that.

Use your two stuns whenever you can. If entrench is popped before you used your stuns (which 99/100 times will be the case) retreat behind terrain if possible and wait it out, after which you will have a massive advantage. Picking your fight well means you can anticipate for this.

Snipers are one of the if not 'the' most fun classes to face as a Powertech in my opinion. It's a class that you need your brain for in order to beat it, and the initiative lies completely with you: If you do the right things, you will beat it. If you underestimate it, you will loose horribly.

That said, if you manage to get to him relatively unscathed, you have all the tools to kill the sniper. Tactical use of HO is key to prevent the knockback + root combo. Snipers have one melee range stun, and a 30m mez. Typically they will use their stun first, and their mez last. Their mez will allow them to reposition to max range, and open up on you with an ambush. At that point the fight is probably over in their favor, so save your CC breaker for that.

Use your two stuns whenever you can. If entrench is popped before you used your stuns (which 99/100 times will be the case) retreat behind terrain if possible and wait it out, after which you will have a massive advantage. Picking your fight well means you can anticipate for this.

Use Oil Slick. De-buffs 30% of ranged accuracy and renders Sniper quite harmless.

Edited by Aetideus

How to deal with snipers?

1) Save hold the line for the right moment of burst (aka Pulse cannon).

2) Stay out of 4m range as much as possible (use most of your abilties from 6-7m to avoid melee stun),

3) Remember that good engineering sniper will have 35 meter stun every 18 seconds for 2 seconds (combo of plasma probe and interrogation probe does that), also remember that from 5+ meters u will not be pushed.

4) Dont use your cc breaker on plasma probe, because you will eat flashbang,

5) use terrain to LOS and remmeber NOT TO HIT HIB/RS while enemy uses DODGE cooldown (he will dodge it). Side note here most dodges last 3 seconds so you can just pop 2 flamebursts or other elemental attacks instead).

6) LOS Entrenched Sniper - you dont want to run suicide.

7) Use mortar Voley to make him move and pull if he does (ofc he can roll and u can do jack .... about that :D)

8) Most of the time u will be wasted under 30% due to takedown and follow, so if you can, keep up on above 35% as much as possible (once on 30% adrenaline will probably not help you).

9) DOTS - once you are hit with corrosive grenade + corrosive dart LOS to avoid Chull channeling (this will open u up like a can opener).

10) For faking termodetonator rotation, use sticky grenade and one rapid shot/flameburst so sniper will burn his Shielding Probe. Then LOS or start proper rotation (this works mirracles on healers who imediately go bubble, or dodge trying to avoid your biggest WHITE RS/HIB while in truth you are starting flameburst/ionpulse rotation that cant be dodged :) )

11) have fun killing engineering snipers, and remember - fights with snipers are like chess games - you need to predict the outcome before it happends.

Remember, elemental damage against sniper is your friend, that is why AP/Tactics performs better most of the time (exception lethality sniper against pyro with 15% dot reduction). Engineering sniper will have up to 2 shield probes AND two dodges BEFORE u will kill him due to defensive cooldown reflesh from EMP discharge. That means he will have 6 seconds invulnerability to your railshots, and any other white attacks. Also he will have 2 shield probes, which will absorb good chunk of damage, entrench, and additional stacks of absorbing shield stacks that take small ammount of damage. Wait for sniper to waste them, simulate your biggest hitters just to LOS a second later!

Edited by Nezyrworks