DPS Mercs SUCK.

Xhyron

I am really, really, REALLY sad I wasted my time leveling this character to 50 only to find out the amount of balls it sucks is unreal.

First, I have a jetpack strapped to my back but are by FAR the most immobile of characters... What the hell is up with this? People sprint away from me in combat, jump halfway across the screen, or just flat out disappear only to come back 10 seconds later at full health and kill me... I have a rocket on my back, but get to stand around looking stupid? What the hell? The lack of mobility is beyond comprehension. Any plans to give us ANY type of utility from this thing that we should be able to use atleast once a minute?

Why are we the only class that has no distraction ability? Its nice that my only good attack gets taken away from me in PvP by every single person I fight, not to mention the chain stuns laid upon me while i slowly bleed away my health leaves me aghast. If I amazingly do get the upper hand, the fact that other class just calmly leaves the fight is astounding.

Now that I am done ranting, is there any plans to make a DPS merc a viable PvP class in the future? Sure, I am great shooting off rockets when no ones attention is turned on me, but god forbid if I get in a 1 on 1 situation. People have no issues escaping a merc; they are a joke. The fact this class is called a bountyhunter is somewhat of a joke in itself as they can't catch anything but NPCs. The class description we get when asked to choose our advanced class is a downright lie.

This class genuinely sucks. I have never been so disappointed with a class in an MMO and will probably re-spec it a healer and move on to a class that isn't a joke.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really, really, REALLY sad I wasted my time leveling this character to 50 only to find out the amount of balls it sucks is unreal.

First, I have a jetpack strapped to my back but are by FAR the most immobile of characters... What the hell is up with this? People sprint away from me in combat, jump halfway across the screen, or just flat out disappear only to come back 10 seconds later at full health and kill me... I have a rocket on my back, but get to stand around looking stupid? What the hell? The lack of mobility is beyond comprehension. Any plans to give us ANY type of utility from this thing that we should be able to use atleast once a minute?

Why are we the only class that has no distraction ability? Its nice that my only good attack gets taken away from me in PvP by every single person I fight, not to mention the chain stuns laid upon me while i slowly bleed away my health leaves me aghast. If I amazingly do get the upper hand, the fact that other class just calmly leaves the fight is astounding.

Now that I am done ranting, is there any plans to make a DPS merc a viable PvP class in the future? Sure, I am great shooting off rockets when no ones attention is turned on me, but god forbid if I get in a 1 on 1 situation. People have no issues escaping a merc; they are a joke. The fact this class is called a bountyhunter is somewhat of a joke in itself as they can't catch anything but NPCs. The class description we get when asked to choose our advanced class is a downright lie.

This class genuinely sucks. I have never been so disappointed with a class in an MMO and will probably re-spec it a healer and move on to a class that isn't a joke.

Cry more?

You went arsenal.... Thats the down side of arsenal, your immobile and everything you have is castable. It does great GREAT dps but yeah a guy gets on you and you are in a dicy situation.

Go Pyro if you want to do dps and be mobile, I mean... YOu do have a choice you know.

Most people picked the class before the relative class comparisons were really well known. You need to play by your strengths. You are difficult to kill and efficient to heal. If you play with an active guard+spot healer you will be indomitable, and surpass the need for your own mobility/CC. Other than that, sorry. You're one of the worst 1v1 classes in the game. There's nothing wrong with your damage, it's just a complete lack of 1v1 utility.

I'm still not sure why anyone would take a DPS in PvE or PvP that can't interrupt. At least you're not a sniper/slinger, and have the chance to get bugged out of your required stances to use core attacks.

Edited by SheepishOne

Why tell someone their playing the wrong way, then not explain what their doing wrong? To the OP, why don't you tell us what you do in a particular 1v1 class you have trouble with? You can't honestly say the damage sucks if you've leveled as a Arsenal Mercenary, perhaps your not utilizing what we do have? I'll admit it's not a lot in 1v1 but in group scenarios where most of the pvp happens, it's enough.

I have a 50 BH with champ gear.... I'd have to say that the OP is semi-correct.

If left alone I and usually the top in damage and 1 or 2 in kills.

But add 1 melee guy into the mix and I fall to 5 or 6 in both categories.

Ars BH have zero survivability, even with champ gear.

They need a interrupt and a blink ability to help balanced them.

I don't mind being immobile to DSP, but like mages in WOW I should be able to blink away to escape.

To the cry more flamers, etc, move out of your mothers basement then maybe I will reply to you. When I state what I dislike about a class and you act like a jerk off you will be treated as such.

Simple fact is, utility of our jetpack would go a hell of a long way to legitimizing this class.

As of right now, it is total garbage in a PvP situation unless you are part of a gank squad.

There is NO denying this.

solo pvp isnt part of reality

gank squad? try team.

if you want solo pvp play an FPS

this is NOT a solo pvp game.

I have a 50 BH with champ gear.... I'd have to say that the OP is semi-correct.

If left alone I and usually the top in damage and 1 or 2 in kills.

But add 1 melee guy into the mix and I fall to 5 or 6 in both categories.

Ars BH have zero survivability, even with champ gear.

They need a interrupt and a blink ability to help balanced them.

I don't mind being immobile to DSP, but like mages in WOW I should be able to blink away to escape.

I kinda agree with this. DPS classes aren't mean to be tanks... we're supposed to turret people from far away.

But, I agree we need a longer CC or a Combat Sprint that breaks snares so we can at least move away for a second.

Something to give us even the smallest bit of escapability is warranted.

We are a class that is 'supposed' to hunt down people. Given the fact we have a jetpack with ZERO utility amazes me.

At this point, a MERC couldn't even hunt down our own shadow without it sprinting away or disappearing.

Edited by Noviru
removing inappropriate content

I fail to see what your problem is if you roll arsenal your not going to be mobile make use of your surroundings stay close to pillars and walls and LoS people make them come to you ... electrodart em and run away ..... pretty simple concept

I was full arsenal spec - starting to try a few other specs now just to mix it up. The DPS for this class is pretty dang good; however, powertech and sorceror are more powerful as far as DPS goes. The arsenal spec just isn't really a PvP spec for most players unless are you willing to accept the fact that you will die and you will get beat most of the time against a good player of other classes. Does not mean there is a problem with this class/spec, it just has to be used as part of a team to be effective.

Something to give us even the smallest bit of escapability is warranted.

We are a class that is 'supposed' to hunt down people. Given the fact we have a jetpack with ZERO utility amazes me.

At this point, a MERC couldn't even hunt down our own shadow without it sprinting away or disappearing.

You do have jet boost... although the CD is sorta long if you don't have gear and spec, when you do (which you should have) it's a core ability that gives you a ton of escapability. You could also argue that rocket punch is a jetpack ability and it also gives a decent amount of escapability if specced.

Edited by Noviru
editing out removed content

It doesnt suck if we can stay outside of melee range. In some of the warzones you can stay uptop on melee and literally stand there and kill player after player. Generally someone sees you and rips you a new one but i think thats the whole challenge to the Class and im sure it was intended. You never want to be in melee range, and if you are then get out of it before you attack. I think it gets more fun if you see it like that,,,,playing at the right range and the challenge to stay there.

I thought the way the original poster did until a few things happened:

1. you need to spec to blow melee away from you (and into the acid or over a ledge, use direction to your advantage).
  2. i thought the stealth-scan ability was ******** until I saw everyone stealthing away from me just before they died. USE THAT ABILITY! It is great! The first time i used it I saw that bastard Marauder and beat the poop out of him! woot!
  3. i think for pvp, the rocket-punch knockback and slow spec IS A MUST. you can rocketpunch the melee IN TO THE ACID or over a ledge. DONE.
  4. use your stuns wisely. if you are 1v1, use your instant stun to your advantage either to get away from a bad situation or to turn the tide in a close battle
  5. pvp gear helps A LOT. i only have 2 pieces and that makes a big difference.
  6. know when to run. this is strategy and the best players use it. don't just fight to the death for the sake of it.
  7. get a guild and PvP with them. I PvP with our healer and I am pretty much unstoppable/unkillable. most healers don't bother JUST HEALING. our healer is awesome. all he does is heal during PvP and everyone stays alive. it is great.
  8. splashing a bit in to our heal tree can save your life (or your teams lives!). plenty of times I've run to help someone who is 1v2. with 3 points in healing I can keep anyone alive and save the day (not to mention save myself or main-heal a flashpoint)
  9. Unload can slow people. I used to have this specced and I kind of miss it. it is very useful for when those idiots try to run away. Unload .... slow them ... kill them.

in summary:

if they sneak, cast your stealth-scan.

if they run, slow them with unload

if they gang up on you, jet boost and run away

otherwise, enjoy your 30 kills and 2-4 deaths. you just won.

Edited by The_Duck

Merc has some pretty high end dps and great range. The point of the class is to kill the target before it can get to you or run away. Skills require cast times(means you can't move) so range, target and LOS (line-of-sight) should play a large role in all situations. The Merc class and specs are fine as is. They just don't fit you're play-style. Though this class may be what you want to play it doesn't mean it is what you need to play (which you determine from your personal play-style).

Easy fix:

-Play with consumables find what stacks/works. Current state of consumables in game are insane so use it to your advantage, while you can.

-Spam tracer missile. Always.....ALWAYS.

-vs Ranged = LOS ( No object close by then run through them)

-vs Melee = Keep range ( they have to come to you so they can LOS you by running through you, gotta kill them before that happens)

-Get use to dieing so you can get over it. ( you are going to die so no point in worrying about survivability. Your only goal is topping the damage charts. 20+ deaths doesn't look so bad when sitting next to 500+ damage done and/or a high kill ratio.)

That is about the only advise I can give you.

At least your post was about buffing your own class instead of asking to nerf another. Either way QQ ruins games. Learn to deal.

Happy Gaming!

Edited by Wolfeborn

Good evening,

We recently had to edit or remove several posts in this thread, so we thought we should remind everyone that regardless of the topic, it is part of our Rules of Conduct that:

• Never insult another member of the community.
  • Respect other community members, whether they agree with you or not.
  • Flag, don't fight. Use the "flag" feature to report posts to our Community Team if you see someone breaking the rules – don't respond to them!
  • Make constructive, on-topic posts that add to the discussion.

Thank you for understanding.

I fail to see what your problem is if you roll arsenal your not going to be mobile make use of your surroundings stay close to pillars and walls and LoS people make them come to you ... electrodart em and run away ..... pretty simple concept

Shows how little you know about the class....you can't electro dart anybody and run away...it last for like 4 seconds....how far can I get away from a melee class that has leap in 4 sec?...not very far...lol

The only map we do well in is Huttball because we can blast them off the catwalks...."I never play on the floor...instant death if I do."

We need and interupt and the ability to escape from melee...use of the jetpack to blast back about 20meters would be great.

Then an electro dart would be usefull.

s

I kinda agree with this. DPS classes aren't mean to be tanks... we're supposed to turret people from far away.

But, I agree we need a longer CC or a Combat Sprint that breaks snares so we can at least move away for a second.

FYI, Cure removes tech and physical based dots and snares. It wouldn't surprise me to know that many Arsenal mercs don't even have it bound to a quickslot.

The biggest problem IMO is how all the melee classes can get up to you so easily. Either with stealth or the retarded jump that has as much range as all your ranged attacks does ( yes makes sense...). Hopefully they make BHs a bit more mobile or give them some more added survivability as it is right now your best bet is that the enemies are focusing someone else so that you can get off a few shots.

-vs Melee = Keep range ( they have to come to you so they can LOS you by running through you, gotta kill them before that happens)

Unless the melee player does not notice where all this crushing dps is coming from....All they have to do is walk forward 5-10 meters and leap from our extream range...there is no way I can dps them to death in that short of a time. This is bad advice since it's just a pipe dream. Most of the time when I use my knock back on a jedi to get distance the jedi just leaps right back...this is just after they closed the distance to make first contact.

If you get lucky enough to come up against a bad melee who does't use thier interupts you should be able to out dps them with in melee range....but most know how to put an interupt on thier tool bar and seriously gimp our dps by using them.

I still like playing the class....but I would not have picked Merc if I started palying today and saw how bad they are at one on one.

Saying a class is bad at one on one in PLAYER -VS- PLAYER "Definition of one on one" means it's a broken class and needs attention.

I'm going to get all my gear and just start to level another class and wait for the fix...which will make my Merc FOTM sometime in March :)

Unless the melee player does not notice where all this crushing dps is coming from....All they have to do is walk forward 5-10 meters and leap from our extream range...there is no way I can dps them to death in that short of a time. This is bad advice since it's just a pipe dream. Most of the time when I use my knock back on a jedi to get distance the jedi just leaps right back...this is just after they closed the distance to make first contact.

If you get lucky enough to come up against a bad melee who does't use thier interupts you should be able to out dps them with in melee range....but most know how to put an interupt on thier tool bar and seriously gimp our dps by using them.

I still like playing the class....but I would not have picked Merc if I started palying today and saw how bad they are at one on one.

Saying a class is bad at one on one in PLAYER -VS- PLAYER "Definition of one on one" means it's a broken class and needs attention.

I'm going to get all my gear and just start to level another class and wait for the fix...which will make my Merc FOTM sometime in March :)

This is EXACTLY how I feel. One would assume a mercenary would be a mobile force to be reckoned with in 1 on 1 combat. I didn't play this game in beta, nor did I have time to read up on class specifics. I picked the class for what one would assume a bountyhunter would be.

The class is nothing like its in game description, end of story. Give us some mobility. Would it really hurt so much to make that rocket strapped to our back actually work?

I understand where a lot of people are coming from in this thread. I've got a 50 merc, full champion except mainhand and bracers, and I've been playing arsenal to grind to valor 60 before I switch back to heals. One game I feel like a god, the next I get steam rolled. It really all depends on whether my side has good heals or their side has a ton of melee. And that's kinda the point with arsenal: more than any other spec/class, your effectiveness is highly dependent on team play and the opposition you face. People don't seem to get that the spec is balanced around the insane burst it can do. It's a glass canon: you're not supposed to have survivability, so stop asking for it.

That being said, there are options. You can embrace the glass cannon playstyle, you can spec pyro for a more mobile playstyle that offers more survivability by virtue of increased mobility, you can spec the hybrid BG/arse spec for great survivability but lowered damage (it's a great 1v1 spec), and you can spec heals. Or you can reroll. But just because the class/spec doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean it's broken or done poorly. It just means it isn't for you.