Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tier 1 – 3 Changes Coming in 5.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Tier 1 – 3 Changes Coming in 5.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GalacticKegger
03.06.2017 , 11:20 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
I have always like crafting and felt bad that I couldn't craft gear for my other alts but now I can. Some people don't play to acquire gear but to have fun doing things and the gear helps them achieve that.
I have always been able to craft gear for alts. Archive folders are full of those recipes. But I mostly went the customs route (farmed, crafted & planet vendor) for each character and their main companion using both crafted mods and comm mods to upgrade them as they leveled through planet flashpoints, heroic zones and HMs. I used crafted gear primarily for alt companions and RAoK donations. Besides, since level sync was added in 4.0 characters are leveling faster than our ability to craft gear for them.

I am one of those people that gear is just a step to doing what I like to do which is doing things with my boyfriend and my guild and not worrying if my gear is okay for what we are going to do.
It is nice to see someone else mention a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife and guild in the same sentence when describing their preferred playing habits. For my wife and I elder game and end game with our guild was maybe 25% of what we played. The "other" 75% was relishing the game's once-awesome leveling experience together.

We were the true definition of altoholics and treated each planet like its own game in microcosm: level through each planet's story and missions ... followed by the planet's own mini-elder game (H2s and H4s) ... followed by the planet's own mini-end game (Flashpoints). The only way we outleveled planets is if we played through all of the side missions. The balance was amazing. And when we hit level cap we geared our toons and companions to run HMs, which we found to be more challenging than our usual tank / heals roles in Operations.

Now? Well, we have 2 recent alts who completed Coruscant. They just got their ships and are already level 32: without XP boosts and without Legacy buffs. Level sync has made leveling through the planets an exercise in incongruity. Level-appropriate planet group Flashpoints, HMs and Operations were removed from the leveling game lock, stock and barrel, then bolstered and shipped off to end game. Not retained as an option for players who enjoyed them for 4 years mind you ... they were removed entirely.

We've honestly tried playing what's left of the group leveling game. But that being taken away combined with our not being able to play through any of KotFE's or KotET's story chapters together proved too disheartening. So now with our guild being a ghost town and waiting for the game to return to its pre-KotFE MMORPG roots we're stuck with heroic dailies, Star Fortresses and Uprisings. After 30 minutes of that nonsense we're looking to log for WoW, Rift, LOTRO or Wildstar whose leveling games haven't been destroyed.

I also have a friend that never got to do operations because people always said she didnt' have the right gear etc that these commands boxes give her a chance to do that with a friend should she want. She is also one of the lucky ones that her sage actually got a set piece on her very first crate she opened. She already knows that isn't the norm but was excited anyways.
It used to be that the only players I had ever seen not have gear for what they were wanting to play resulted from their choice to eschew established leveling and elder game progression channels. If you downed the bosses (FPs and HMs included) you got their gear drops. Now we're blindly grinding aimless Command Ranks and praying to RNGeezus for the next Rank's crate to have a useful upgrade.

Having said that, I do like the idea of Command Crates being a secondary way for lottery fans to get at least some kind of gear, just not to the extent that loners get a free pass into the most team-centric parts of the game from it. As a matter of fairness ... if solo players can qualify for entry into end game group content from enough nebulous Command Crate rewards, then group players should similarly be allowed to play through chapter stories together without limitation.

Some people are having fun right now as well and they are not playing wrong either. They enjoy what they are doing. This can be taken both ways. I have seen the forums already tell people if you enjoy the command crates then you are doing it wrong so it is not one sided. We actually need to stop telling people when they enjoy something they are doing it wrong and understand that each person has a different version of fun and accept that.
So much this. And I would like to add that we actually need to stop telling people that when they enjoyed something they were doing it wrong.

While I think there needs to be some adjustments to the crates, I think the crates are good for people like my friend but that raiders and pvp players need a different way to achieve their gear.
So much this too. In fact, I would like to see the Space Combat and GSF players get a fair shake in their disciplines with the Command Crate rewards as well. Maybe even add bonus story arc drops for the RPG fans too.
Can we please just have our pre-KotFE SWTOR MMORPG back?

fire-breath
03.06.2017 , 11:42 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I got clarification on exactly how the changing drop rates will work based on questions we got in the thread.

If I have Crates before 5.2, will their drop rates adjust after the Update comes out?
They will not change with the Update.

After 5.2, is the drop rate determined when you get the Crate or when you open it?
The drop rate is determined when you acquire the Crate, what is in the Crate is determined when you open it. The Crate you got at Rank 30, will always have Rank 30 drop rates, but you can still change Discipline before opening it to adjust the contents appropriately.

In short, the system is built in a way that we want you to open the crates as you get them, there is no gameplay benefit to holding them.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
No offense Eric but how sure are you this time? I am following this thread for a while now and the official statements have been conflicting quite often.

It is my understanding that after 5.2 Command Crates drop rates are determined by the Rank you acquire them, not the rank you open them.

I am working with the team to get a full understanding of this interaction. I should have more info Monday but I don't believe you can "game it" by opening them at certain levels. I will let you know.

-eric
Oh! Someone asked me this on Twitter and I wanted to make sure it is captured here as well. The contents of your Command Crates is determined when you open them (think of how it works with Disciplines). So any Tier 1-3 crates you have prior to 5.2 will have the adjusted drop rates if you open them after 5.2 goes live.

-eric

PS:
I will keep most of my crates in my vaults regardless whether the droprate on pre 5.2 crates remains against pre 5.2 chances. In the longterm its best to keep the crates unopened.
If you are not rank 300 yet you will get much better results from levelling up the remaining ranks. If you are rank 300 its best to use disintegration to gain more tier 4 crates.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger since patch 1.2 through ups and downs
PugsloveHP - the 96k HP commando DPS/healer
(4.0 HP, currently updating it to 5.0)

Seelvir
03.06.2017 , 04:00 PM | #93
To your point, with these new rates you will have a much better chance of getting a set bonus quality item (Artifact and Legendary) than you would one without (Prototype). Basically, at the top of a tier, majority of your items will be of a set bonus bearing quality. That is in contrast to today where at all levels, Premium and Prototype are the most likely items you will get.

-eric
eric,

These are welcome changes, but they don't fix the underlying problem, which is "player perception." Players want control over their fates, or at least the perception of such. With higher drop rates from Command Crates of set-bonus bearing items, the problem shifts from "I never get gear I need, it's all useless greens and blues!" to "I never get gear I need, because I keep getting all these purple set-bonus pieces that I already have!" The problem is still the RNG, still the inability to choose exactly what item a player wants to acquire next. Being able to get defined gear pieces from Operation bosses again, and giving PvPers greater ability to pick and choose their gear upgrades, alleviates these perception problems. But no matter what systems you put in place to allow players to choose gear through Ops or PvP tokens, the experience of getting repetitively disappointed by Command Crates will not go away.

As long as players continue having the daily experience of opening multiple Command Crates and receiving disappointment, there will continue to be discontent with this system as a whole.
Delusions of Grandeur
Website Thread Apply
The Harbinger Server | Progression | Leisure | PvP | Social Events

aerockyul
03.06.2017 , 07:39 PM | #94
Eric, I laughed at the troll job you guys pulled on me over the weekend after my little tantrum about getting assault cannons only every second crate. This weekend I opened 10 crates and got 6 assault cannons (more than 1 every second crate!! ) and to make it even better, literally four straight identical blaster rifle schematics within those 10 crates.

You guys are just trying to coax more people to play troopers, aren't you?
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Akhalann, Selauna, Vaisis Jaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Káhlán
Kahntara, Meekoto, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Namie Amuro, Misphire
Blood Rage Satele Shan Subliminal Message to Fool Clickers pending

Stummt
03.29.2017 , 07:12 AM | #95
Will we be able to buy mods and enhancements? I main a sin-tank for pvp and with gc-system it's nearly impossible to gear properly for pvp. (Mitigation stats are useless and endurance/crit only drops for dps )

americanaussie
03.29.2017 , 02:18 PM | #96
30 implants/earpieces on my smuggler in 33 levels. Can you even imagine how awful that is? Can't even use the mods to make other gear better.
Thank you to everyone who has used my referral link over the years and to all of the wonderful people I've met on here.

Tarbuch
03.29.2017 , 03:34 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
Just admit you done messed up and get on with it.
/sarcasm on
BWEA cannot do that, they cannot admit failure, it is the players that are wrong about everything all of the time.
BWEA cannot do anything wrong ever.
/sarcasm off

They will double down on the current path of disaster, even if it means game shutting down.

Green gear in command crates is garbage. (automatic recycle)
Blue gear in command crates is garbage. (automatic recycle)
Set bonus gear is only acceptable loot from the command grates, anything else is rubbish.
Duplicates of the set gear are an insult, sincew the drop rate is miniscule to begin with

The empty shells are rubbish, there are far too many variants of the shells to ever to be able to gather full set. (automatic recycle)
Infernum aliud est populus!

Bowoci
03.29.2017 , 03:39 PM | #98
Maybe they just need to revamp the Command Crate 'opening experience' like the did the Cartel Pack 'opening experience'... that will make everything better and the 'fans' will just love it!