Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tier 1 – 3 Changes Coming in 5.2

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Tier 1 – 3 Changes Coming in 5.2
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
03.03.2017 , 08:15 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

Coming with Game Update 5.2 we are making substantial changes to how Command Crates work, specifically focusing on drop rates for gear. Perhaps the single-most repeated comment about Command Crates is they do not feel rewarding due to the random nature of the contents of the crates. To resolve most of these issues, we’ve added ways for both PvP and PvE players to target specific gear slots and obtain those items directly.

For players looking to gear up through Galactic Command working through a Tier can feel like a grind since your rewards don’t change. You can get that same Premium belt at Command Rank 70 that you got at Rank 1, which is frustrating when you are trying to complete your class set.

Starting with Game Update 5.2, drop rates of better quality items (Legendary and Artifact) will get higher as you gain Command Ranks in a given Tier, while lower quality items’ (Premium and Prototype) drop rates will go down. What this means is you are encouraged to continue increasing your Command Rank as your drop rates of more desired items get higher as your Rank increases.

Let’s look at a Tier 2 and 3 example. Right now this is an approximation of gear drops for the entire Tier:
  • Premium (green): High drop rate
  • Prototype (blue): Medium drop rate
  • Artifact (purple): Low drop rate
  • Legendary (yellow): Very low drop rate
After 5.2, gear drops get much better as you progress through the Tier. Let’s say you were getting close to the top of your Tier, this is what your drop rates will look like:
  • Premium: No longer drop
  • Prototype: Medium-low drop rate
  • Artifact: Medium-high drop rate
  • Legendary: Medium drop rate
As you can see from the above example, after 5.2 you will be able to get higher quality gear for your characters more consistently as you progress through each Tier. This will also help in addressing concerns about the inability to get set bonus gear from Command Crates (in addition to the Operations drop changes we are making at the same time). Keep in mind, these drop rate changes apply to Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. Tier 4 works a little differently and is discussed in more detail in this thread.

These are the improvements we are making to Command Crates in Game Update 5.2. Let us know what you think.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Ryenke
03.03.2017 , 09:02 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Let’s look at a Tier 2 and 3 example. Right now this is an approximation of gear drops for the entire Tier:
  • Premium (green): High drop rate
  • Prototype (blue): Medium drop rate
  • Artifact (purple): Low drop rate
  • Legendary (yellow): Very low drop rate
After 5.2, gear drops get much better as you progress through the Tier. Let’s say you were getting close to the top of your Tier, this is what your drop rates will look like:
  • Premium: No longer drop
  • Prototype: Medium-low drop rate
  • Artifact: Medium-high drop rate
  • Legendary: Medium drop rate
As you can see from the above example, after 5.2 you will be able to get higher quality gear for your characters more consistently as you progress through each Tier.
These are the improvements we are making to Command Crates in Game Update 5.2. Let us know what you think.

-eric
The elimination of Premium from the crates would have been a welcome change for me, but the deal breaker is the unspecified RNG drop rates and no duplicate mitigation. My personal drop rate resulted in was one usable upgrade (I don't count clicky relics as anything except trash for instance) per 30 or so crates. At command level 240 ish (I think, it's been a while since I bothered) I still didn't have a 5.x set bonus and had 6 slots still unfilled and had tons of duplicates like 6 relics of the same type, 3 or 4 chests, 2 gloves, 3 or 4 ear pieces, and only one set piece drop that was higher than Tier 1.

Without some duplicate mitigation and/or some idea what the drop rates *actually* are (medium-low, Medium-high and Medium mean nothing), I have no desire to pay for a grind up to Tier 4, (and would have had no time to do so on alts).

So, good luck, I'll check back in with 6.0 maybe.
5.0 House of RNG Horror GrindgoRound unsub.

No link for (un)rewarding, (un)exciting and frustrating unmitigated RNG.

kodrac
03.03.2017 , 09:04 AM | #3
Just admit you done messed up and get on with it.

EricMusco
03.03.2017 , 09:15 AM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryenke View Post
The elimination of Premium from the crates would have been a welcome change for me, but the deal breaker is the unspecified RNG drop rates and no duplicate mitigation. My personal drop rate resulted in was one usable upgrade (I don't count clicky relics as anything except trash for instance) per 30 or so crates. At command level 240 ish (I think, it's been a while since I bothered) I still didn't have a 5.x set bonus and had 6 slots still unfilled and had tons of duplicates like 6 relics of the same type, 3 or 4 chests, 2 gloves, 3 or 4 ear pieces, and only one set piece drop that was higher than Tier 1.

Without some duplicate mitigation and/or some idea what the drop rates *actually* are (medium-low, Medium-high and Medium mean nothing), I have no desire to pay for a grind up to Tier 4, (and would have had no time to do so on alts).

So, good luck, I'll check back in with 6.0 maybe.
Although we aren't going to expose exact drop rates, I think I can add a little clarity to the relative drop rates listed above. To your point, with these new rates you will have a much better chance of getting a set bonus quality item (Artifact and Legendary) than you would one without (Prototype). Basically, at the top of a tier, majority of your items will be of a set bonus bearing quality. That is in contrast to today where at all levels, Premium and Prototype are the most likely items you will get.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Kattla
03.03.2017 , 09:16 AM | #5

-eric
Why wait until 5.2?
The Sniperwolf legacy.
Seolfor and Karmøy @ The Progenitor.
Kattl, Seolfur, Qt-wan @ The Red Eclipse.

Ryenke
03.03.2017 , 09:21 AM | #6
Although we aren't going to expose exact drop rates, I think I can add a little clarity to the relative drop rates listed above. To your point, with these new rates you will have a much better chance of getting a set bonus quality item (Artifact and Legendary) than you would one without (Prototype). Basically, at the top of a tier, majority of your items will be of a set bonus bearing quality. That is in contrast to today where at all levels, Premium and Prototype are the most likely items you will get.

-eric
Thank you for the clarification, it is good to see this feedback from BWA's side.

These changes don't do it for me, but as I said, good luck, and I'll likely check back with 6.0 to see if the game is more what I enjoy, and doesn't just lead to frustrations due to my perceived personal horrid RNG luck (which I don't foresee ever getting better).
5.0 House of RNG Horror GrindgoRound unsub.

No link for (un)rewarding, (un)exciting and frustrating unmitigated RNG.

docbenwayddo
03.03.2017 , 09:22 AM | #7
Although we aren't going to expose exact drop rates, I think I can add a little clarity to the relative drop rates listed above. ...
There can be no clarity without actual rates. I can say the chances of you accessing my wallet later this month, come renewall time greatly and exponentially increased. Now going from a 0.000000001% chance I stay subbed to a 0.001% chance is an exponential increase, but would that be in the Low, Medium or High range of re-sub?

Without floor and ceiling drop rates, the walls built of increased rate statements cannot stand.

unibim
03.03.2017 , 09:23 AM | #8

-eric
But what about duplicates?
Gravestone Self-Destruct button
Press in case of emergency need of referral link.

WTB [A Way To Change Forum Display Name]

MatAuc
03.03.2017 , 09:33 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by unibim View Post
Jesus understanding is hard.

Duplicates are frustrating right now because of the likely hood to get a set piece is too low. Now, you will have more set pieces drop, so just do like any other game, and live with the fact there is some RNG. Just way more forgiving now.

masterceil
03.03.2017 , 09:36 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by unibim View Post
This. You're certainly taking a step in the right direction, improving the quality of gear in the crates as we advance in each tier, and I do appreciate that. But it's not going to be enough if I go through ranks 75-90 and get some 230 set piece boots four times and three different clicky relics I don't want.

Even in my earliest days of scripting (mIRC, lol), I knew to code the 'shuffle' function on an mp3 player to keep track of songs played, and to not play them again til they've all been played. Can you not apply the same logic to gear slots?

For example, you have 14 gear slots (count implants and relics separately, because you will need two). Start them all out with a 7.14% chance to be the item that drops when RNGsus decides to bless us with a BiS piece for that tier. When said piece drops, lower the chance for that piece on that character by X%, and distribute that chance among the remaining pieces. This would probably going a long way towards alleviating concerns players have for getting the same pieces over and over, then leaving that tier with only half the set as they move onto the next one.
Appreciate the help/snark in the above post? Click here to help me out!
Celestial ArgonautsCelestial Dreadnauts
Star Forged from the Ebon Hawk cacd.enjin.com