Free-to-Play Preview #1

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than playing some City of Heroes way back in the day, I've never been a big MMO guy (I played one 15 day trial of WoW before as well), so I have not seen other games that have gone F2P (guys that I game with have mentioned to me that several other MMO's have done it, and it has helped their bottom line). I guess for me, I had a different vision in my head of what this would entail when I first heard of it. I figured F2P would be the equivelent of the "Weekend Pass/Guest Pass" but on a permanent basis ("Hey, everyone come play whenever you want...Oh you like?...How about you support us and subscribe, then?"). Now that I see it is "Two ways to play", I'm a little irked. I had always intended to subscribe until the day, as another poster put it, that I stop playing completely and unintall from my computer. I figured if I like the game, and want to play, then I will support it by paying my dues. A lot of thses posts are about getting more options into the F2P, which to me, makes me wonder what is being done to keep subscribers? Cartel Coins to buy more stuff? Is this stuff limited to subs only? As a sub, I feel a benefit of that should be no additional out-of-pocket expense. Will I have to pay for some stuff now as well? Am I now going to have to do cost analysis to play this game (Can I cancel my sub and spend less than the $150/yr on the options/stuff that I want)? Great that you want to get more people on. I love this game and tell everyone I know and meet about it. But I hope there is some loyalty to those who have been, and will continue to be, subscribers. :end rant:

Not a fan of the "packs" at all. If people are going to spend coins that they purchased with real money or coins they earned from subscribing (which also costs real money), then they should be able to get an exact item. I think it is a HORRIBLE idea to have these "packs" where certain items are not available for direct purchase and instead are only available as a possible random result from a pack. Based on developer comments elsewhere, that's what was said too....that certain items would only be available through packs.

I think you are jumping to conclusions. They will have packs of items as a bargain deal. So each individual item may be 2 dollars or something but then a pack with 5 items could be only 8 dollars just as a way to encourage people to spend more.

I think the random item packs are something totally different. I imagine the random packs will be cheaper and you have a chance of getting expensive or cool items in addition to other stuff. So basically it is like a gambling system built in to keep people spending with a relatively low chance of "hitting the jackpot" so to speak.

F2P is all about making cash and monetizing the game in every way which means if you only want to buy a single item you will be able to since Bioware knows that and they still want your money. If that option isn't in there it will be added once Bioware realizes the potential cash flow they are missing out on.

I am a subscriber, I will stay one i love star wars. That being said this free to play feels like a half ***'ed attempt

the things like limited Warzones and Flashpoints will kill the free the play, Yeah you will gain a few new subscriber's

but most of the new free to play user's will quit with in a few week's or so due to the fact that the content as not changed the bugs are still here everything else is the same. Why not make the game free to play with all content

and have Micro Transactions . The limited free to play is going to be over all poorly received certainly most by the players who quit because of bad programming , bugs, content and so on, who will come back and see that none of it has been fixed. The die hard star wars fans that game are here and will stay here. I hope i am wrong but i feel this is a to little to late attempt on your part.

we need up-votes/down-votes in here.

yes there appear to be many hit-and-miss limitations on F2P memberships. There have been a lot of posts here that I agree with and a few that I disagree with. I'd rather play right now than go through and reply to everyone or make a list of all my replies.

So, i'll just add this: Purple gear limitations? I don't like it. I have a a little over half a cargo hold of purple Armstech items that never sell unless they are a steal. Like level 37 artifact shotguns selling for 6k. phooey on that. Let the moochers *cough cough sorry* F2P members have their gear. I need someone to buy my stuff.

AND whatever happened to free trials? I know we had them but they were as inconvenient as you can get. I can't help but feel like they should have offered like 168hrs (or whatever) of free game time that began whenever the customer begins playing.

Edited by Sydth

Looks good. But as a paying subscriber, why are you giving the F2p people only 3 Warzones per week???????? This shouldn't even be on the table, either unlimited or a high number, I want these people to increase the number of Warzones running on the servers especially in off peek, 3 Warzones is nothing, it's just nothing, what if they get in a Warzone that has 1 minute left. End of story that number most rise or the whole of the Internet will lash out on swtor again.

You just have to increase that number. If you want to give the a taste.

When they announced F2P everyone was whining how there's no more reason to stay subscribed, now they gave u a reason, now u whine about having to subscribe... Sometimes it feels like people are just whining for the sake of whining.

Edited by Aelther

When they announced F2P everyone was whining how there's no more reason to stay subscribed, now they gave u a reason, now u whine about having to subscribe... Sometimes it feels like people are just whining for the sake of whining.

You expected any more from half the people that play this game..?

Looks great, I really hope F2P will populate lower lvl areas and FPs to make subscriber alt leveling more enjoyable. When LOTRO went F2P, so many more players to level up with! Can't wait to see cartel market. Any word if it will be like Turbine Points where you can earn them in-game? That would be awesome!

I honestly don't see the logic in some of these restrictions.

Warzone restrictions should be a daily restriction of 3. By restricting it to three per week you gain absolutely nothing except some fr00b (free player) that thinks you want them to sub to waive the restrictions. Which you do but you don't want them to think that.

Flashpoints/Operation restrictions. My guess is let fr00bs play only SM and HM for Flashpoints, and just SM for Operations.

Space Combat. Four a day sounds legit. Only benefit you get is exp.

Now for the dumbest restriction I have never seen in a MMO.

Breed restrictions. Seriously? What exactly do you hope to gain from that?? You must pay $15 a month or you won't be able to play the other epic races? Now you're just begging for an emu.

You're not luring people into subbing; you're making it hard for the person to see what is so amazing about swtor and all its glories. #1 mistake you made is preventing the person to customize their character to their likings (AKA RACE RESTRICTION) If the person isn't happy with how their character looks then they're not sticking around.

I honestly don't see the logic in some of these restrictions.

Warzone restrictions should be a daily restriction of 3. By restricting it to three per week you gain absolutely nothing except some fr00b (free player) that thinks you want them to sub to waive the restrictions. Which you do but you don't want them to think that.

Flashpoints/Operation restrictions. My guess is let fr00bs play only SM and HM for Flashpoints, and just SM for Operations.

Space Combat. Four a day sounds legit. Only benefit you get is exp.

Now for the dumbest restriction I have never seen in a MMO.

Breed restrictions. Seriously? What exactly do you hope to gain from that?? You must pay $15 a month or you won't be able to play the other epic races? Now you're just begging for an emu.

You're not luring people into subbing; you're making it hard for the person to see what is so amazing about swtor and all its glories. #1 mistake you made is preventing the person to customize their character to their likings (AKA RACE RESTRICTION) If the person isn't happy with how their character looks then they're not sticking around.

Agreed, the F2P model decided by EA will flop and mark my words because it will flop and sink the game even faster. I understand restrictions but the current are just moronic.

I shouldn't even care, il stay subbed regardless (unless I get bored again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMBeLrZoyw

Agreed, the F2P model decided by EA will flop and mark my words because it will flop and sink the game even faster. I understand restrictions but the current are just moronic.

I shouldn't even care, il stay subbed regardless (unless I get bored again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMBeLrZoyw

I agree. The main problem is that their logic behind F2P implementation is... strained... to say the least.

Basically their F2P model only works if the people that come in to TRY the game as Froobs enjoy the game enough to stay, however a great many of those people are part of the 2M players that already quit, and even if they aren't, what makes BW suspect that a drastically watered down version of the game that 2M people quit is going to be able to KEEP anyone.

They had essentially two ways to go. They could pump time and money and energy into this game substantially improving and adding real and interesting and cool things to it that would grab people's attention and make them want to come back. Then charge for those things to make money.

Or they could break the game up and sell it off like selling off a scrapped car piece by piece by piece.

Instead of adding VALUE to their game, the method they chose basically inconveniences players to the point of buying things, this is a faulty understanding of people that play free games and games in general. If they get fed up they'll just leave, not drop $20 to make a crappy game more fun.

I agree. The main problem is that their logic behind F2P implementation is... strained... to say the least.

Basically their F2P model only works if the people that come in to TRY the game as Froobs enjoy the game enough to stay, however a great many of those people are part of the 2M players that already quit, and even if they aren't, what makes BW suspect that a drastically watered down version of the game that 2M people quit is going to be able to KEEP anyone.

They had essentially two ways to go. They could pump time and money and energy into this game substantially improving and adding real and interesting and cool things to it that would grab people's attention and make them want to come back. Then charge for those things to make money.

Or they could break the game up and sell it off like selling off a scrapped car piece by piece by piece.

Instead of adding VALUE to their game, the method they chose basically inconveniences players to the point of buying things, this is a faulty understanding of people that play free games and games in general. If they get fed up they'll just leave, not drop $20 to make a crappy game more fun.

I don't think BW had the choice you outlined on making the game better. They are leveraging the great 1-50 leveling content to make as much money back as possible, and then perhaps the game will expand if it is a successful outcome. If not, EA will just have some more of its investment and planned revenue back.

That said, I think many current subscribers will be purchasing things. The shop isn't necessarily aimed at getting F2P players to subscribe. It's an option to try the game out and see the stories, albeit in a frustrating way that may result in some additional subscriptions.

Edited by arunav

If Bioware is looking for a good way to get people to pay extra money they should look into events. Imagine a Dev run event where they control an army of zombies attacking a city. They make it a zone that only the people who paid can get into (and obviously it would have to have more storyline than my example) but have the bad guys be people controlled with special loot and abilities. These events can be a few hours long to multi-day depending on the story (and of course the price)

I don't think they want to let people get much out of any aspect of the game for 100% free.

For PVP restricting the number of matches you play is probably the only way.

I think SWTOR's F2P is more of a deluxe trial than a way to play the game for free.

I don't think they want to let people get much out of any aspect of the game for 100% free.

For PVP restricting the number of matches you play is probably the only way.

I think SWTOR's F2P is more of a deluxe trial than a way to play the game for free.

As it should be. They cant deliver content if they cant pay employees to make it.

F2P are given choice of 3 races...I'm at the moment a subscriber, and I have a Sith Race Inquisitor. So if I drop my subscription (I couldn't give a bantha fart about warzones) I lose the ability to play my legacy sith race??

They've said many times you keep your character perks, and everything about that character, but if you make new characters when you go free, they're restricted. Also your warzone, raid limits are similarly limited, and I can assume so is your money and inventory, which goes into an escrow. DC Universe Online did something simmilar for returning players, only they were "Preferred" access because they spent money on the game so get more benefits than say the freeloaders. It seems that BioWare WANTS to go in the same direction, but they lack the communication skills to just come out and say so, which is irritable to consumers.

I also don't see why there's a need for species restriction... It's just a skin and a few tweaks of dialogue... Nor do I see the need to get a pass to wear purple items. As much as we subs should get benefits, the freeloaders and returners should still have an experience where they don't just go and say "the **** is this crap?"

As it should be. They cant deliver content if they cant pay employees to make it.

Guild Wars 2 and its predecessor was entirely free outside of the main game and purchase of expansion and had a pay to look awesome model, which worked for many years. DC Universe Onlie has pulled a simmilar model now and are still raking in money even though the monthly's aren't as high as the Premiums or the Freeloaders. (Premiums meant you spent money on the game and get more benefits than the freeloaders (a lot more), but not as much as subscribers do persay, which is just in game money, character slots, and inventory, plus vault access and que times)

I'm not going to bother asking any questions because we're clearly not getting answers. However, it would be nice if the video had cleared up a few issues. (or if a BioWare employee would actually get on here and answer some stuff)

It says "free" players get a choice of 3 races. However, those of us who have bought the game aren't really free players, so we shouldn't be restricted by this if we stop paying. I bought this game back in February for $49.99 ($10 off of the original price) and I've paid for several months of subscriptions. I'll by no means be a "free" player if I stop subscribing because I've certainly paid my dues in this game (got my "Founder" title and everything.) I currently have Chiss and Rattataki characters, I shouldn't have to give up anything during the transition because those races came with the game that I bought. The same goes for other things that "free" players won't get (because they haven't paid for anything.) Obviously, people who stop paying shouldn't get everything subscribers get, but they also shouldn't be treated like they've paid for nothing. There needs to be a middle ground.

IF somebody from BioWare would actually come on here and acknowledge such concerns, it would be nice. If I'm going to lose all my stuff, I can probably keep my 3-month recurring subscription, but I also think it's unfair to treat people who stop paying as if they're just like people who have never paid anything for the game. Some games do this, others have a "middle ground" for people who have paid real money for the game. (DC Universe Online has a setup like this)

So, instead of just telling us what free and paid players get, also tell us what paid players who (may) decide to go free will get! Geez, I hate the suspense. I've been there for a few F2P transitions now and it's always a headache trying to figure out these things.

Edited by SciFiDude

Since its already free to play it just caps you at level 15 I don't see this model working at all, at least in terms of drawing and keeping more subs. I don't believe that is what they are trying to do at all. My opinion is they are cleverly trying to keep the subs they have all the while trying to make more money off them. So instead of paying the $15 to have all the content you are now paying the $15 a month and get just enough cartel coins to buy a few items this is to "see" all the cool items that you will have to pay even more for to obtain. If I pay the sub of $15 I expect to have all the content in the game. This is a very cleaver scheme. Once people catch on to this im sure subs will drop quickly unless of course you wanna pay 50 a month to play the game in which case go right ahead but not me.