Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

I am proud to announce that my combat log parser project PARSEC has moved from Alpha to Beta and is ready for general use by the raiding community.

When it was announced that TorParse was going away I decided to step up and start working on a parser myself. Since then, TorParse seems to have been saved. However, I kept working on my own because I feel it offers some great tools.

PARSEC requires .NET 4.0. It has been designed and developed by me but is published as an Open Source project.

PARSEC is a raid aware, real time combat log parser that attempts to give players the real time and post fight metrics that make them more successful.

You can find more information and download an install package here: https://parsec.codeplex.com/

Here is a quick feature list if you dont feel like clicking through the link above:

• Real Time Parsing
  • Archive Parsing
  • Human Readable Log
  • Metrics Tabs: Damage Taken Tab, Damage Dealt Tab, Threat Tab, Healing Received Tab, Healing Done Tab, Raid Tab
  • Companion Metrics
  • Pop Outs: Statistic Overview, Stat Stopwatch, Raid Heal Scoreboard, Raid Dps Scoreboard, Raid Top 5 Threat
  • Raid Group Sync

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still at work so obviously can't test it. Will try it out later tonight. What are some benefits going on for Parsec that makes it favorable over MoX or torparse?

For example people would switch to torparse from mox because.. well torparse UI looks cool in-game, also i heard it's great for healers since it shows HPS (sometime mox doesn't(?)).

Some people would go for mox instead of torparse because the UI is easy to use. There are tabs you can browse through to see what killed you, how much damage you did, or you take in one easy click.

How about Parsec?

Ill definitely give it a look, I like torparse because of the way it looks and how I can layer it in game. But because it uses Adobe air it can not be window captured for streaming. I will post any likes/dislikes here as well as anything I can think to improve it.

I've been looking for another parser mainly due to the fact that torparse can't be streamed except by full screen capture which even with my machine kills my frame rates.

Ive only played with this for about a grand total of about 5 minutes so here are my snap decisions about how i like it, will post more after testing it in a raid format.

First things first, everything is very organized and clean, at first glance its easy to use and simple without looking ugly, That was somthing that torpars and mox couldnt really get right. mox is super easy to use but doesnt look all that great, and torparse looks fantastic but isnt super clear as to what some of the icons do.

Secondly, as I mentioned in my first post I do a lot of streaming. Maybe its due to the use of .net (I used to do some programming but its been a long time so I could be talking out of my ***) but this has the same issue as torparse as far as streaming. I can capture it with a full screen cap (of course it just captures all of the pixels, doesnt really care whats there) but I still cant capture it with a broadcasting software like xsplit or open broadcaster. Mox so far has been the only program that i have been able to window capture.

That being said, I know im in the mionority and it might be a base issue with the language set that it cant be captured. So it might be too much work to try to fix.

All in all, looks like a very good parser and I look forward to testing it in the future and offering any other feedback I might come up with.

Keep up the good work

Edited by spartancam

I'm still at work so obviously can't test it. Will try it out later tonight. What are some benefits going on for Parsec that makes it favorable over MoX or torparse?

For example people would switch to torparse from mox because.. well torparse UI looks cool in-game, also i heard it's great for healers since it shows HPS (sometime mox doesn't(?)).

Some people would go for mox instead of torparse because the UI is easy to use. There are tabs you can browse through to see what killed you, how much damage you did, or you take in one easy click.

How about Parsec?

Mox and TorParse are both great programs with strengths and weaknesses. The main factor pushing me to develop my own was the thought of losing Torparse's excellent Human Readable combat log. While mox has one (which I encouraged him to add btw :)), it is not nearly as awesome as Torparse's. PARSEC takes this concept to the next level by adding filtering and keyword find and highlight functionality. This allows you to show only incoming damage or only outgoing heals or any combination of filters you can come up with. Not to mention it gives you the capability to filter based on keywords.

So for example you could filter a log for all occurrence of "Master Strike" and see just your master strike hits. That's cool right? But what if you want to see Master Strike hits in context with the rest of the log? You can use the Find feature to highlight the term "Master Strike". Then you can cycle to each instance of the word just like you would search in a web page for a term.

This is just my favorite feature in PARSEC. My guild mates (and alpha testers) have mentioned that they love the pop out styles and how they match the SWTOR look and feel, and the healers love the Efficiency calculations that are done to show EHPS and Efficiency %.

Looking at this parser it seems like it would be very competetive with torparse, I specifically like the damage taken tab, alot of details including your shield % def % on certain mobs/boss pulls/specific attacks.

I want to stress here that while it does show a defense/resist and shield percents that these percentages are calculated using the total number of all attacks. Specifically, the defense/resist % is a number that shows the percentage of defense mitigation against ALL attacks and not just "Defense-able" attacks. Similarly, for shield percent, the number is the percent of shielded attacks against ALL attacks and not just "Shield-able" attacks.

The reasoning for this is that while the log tells you the damage type of a successful attack, it does not tell you if it is a melee, ranged, force or tech attack. And until I can positively confirm some rules around matching damage type with attack type and mitigation (post 2.0) I will leave the calculations as is.

Ive only played with this for about a grand total of about 5 minutes so here are my snap decisions about how i like it, will post more after testing it in a raid format.

First things first, everything is very organized and clean, at first glance its easy to use and simple without looking ugly, That was somthing that torpars and mox couldnt really get right. mox is super easy to use but doesnt look all that great, and torparse looks fantastic but isnt super clear as to what some of the icons do.

Secondly, as I mentioned in my first post I do a lot of streaming. Maybe its due to the use of .net (I used to do some programming but its been a long time so I could be talking out of my ***) but this has the same issue as torparse as far as streaming. I can capture it with a full screen cap (of course it just captures all of the pixels, doesnt really care whats there) but I still cant capture it with a broadcasting software like xsplit or open broadcaster. Mox so far has been the only program that i have been able to window capture.

That being said, I know im in the mionority and it might be a base issue with the language set that it cant be captured. So it might be too much work to try to fix.

All in all, looks like a very good parser and I look forward to testing it in the future and offering any other feedback I might come up with.

Keep up the good work

I have a feeling this has more to do with the extensive use of the alpha channel in both Torparse and PARSEC. Most streaming tools have a hard time streaming an overlay that has alph blending (partial transparency).

If this is a feature that is needed I would be open to building in a setting that allows you to toggle a more basic appearance for the pop outs that does not use transparency so you can stream them. however, that is assuming that the alpha channel is indeed the problem.

I really like the layout and overall appearance of the main UI. The combat log filters are great and will be a wonderful tool for post-fight analysis... Much, much easier than an F3 search on TORparse.

The one thing that I've noticed that TORparse has that Parsec is missing is a pop-out for the "Damage Dealt" info, which is quite handy for on-the-fly tweaks while on the dummy. Will see if folks are willing to try the raid parsing with this program tonight, but it looks like that will be a simple process to setup; it's just a matter of how well it actually works.

I really like the layout and overall appearance of the main UI. The combat log filters are great and will be a wonderful tool for post-fight analysis... Much, much easier than an F3 search on TORparse.

The one thing that I've noticed that TORparse has that Parsec is missing is a pop-out for the "Damage Dealt" info, which is quite handy for on-the-fly tweaks while on the dummy. Will see if folks are willing to try the raid parsing with this program tonight, but it looks like that will be a simple process to setup; it's just a matter of how well it actually works.

Try the statistics overview, will display dmg dealt as well as dps, along with the length of the parse.

Try the statistics overview, will display dmg dealt as well as dps, along with the length of the parse.

Yeah, that's what I was using, but the overlay that lists abilities in order of overall damage is what I'm missing. Aside from that small complaint, I'm really liking it thus far.

Yeah, that's what I was using, but the overlay that lists abilities in order of overall damage is what I'm missing. Aside from that small complaint, I'm really liking it thus far.

That data as of now is not available in the pop out but is available in the main app Damage Dealt tab. You can also force the main app to be always on top in the settings. This could be a workaround to get this data overlayed during combat.

We used this tonight and only a bit of a complaint regarding raid:

When you join a group, it is not very clear that you successfully joined. There should probably be a confirmation like successfully joining or something.

On top of that, it would be nice if everyone could a list of who is in the group. With the admin being able to kick from group

I also did not see a way for an admin to log in on another instance of the program (for example if you got a new computer)

I ran this tonight in our progression HM SNV raid and we are very thrilled with the intricacies that you threw into the parser. There were just a few things we noticed as far as bugs:

parser starts over after Olok The Shadow disappears the first time

parser starts over after the dread guard ads die before the kell dragon on styrak

heals are counted on CCs that are active out of combat i.e concussion missle, whirlwind, etc. for example, if our merc dps CC'd an ad, the ad is healed for 4.3k every few seconds and it counts as heals on the parse though, he never healed anyone in the raid.

Don't post that much on this forum, but just wanted to say good job on this parser, its simple to use and at the same time beautiful in design.

Just wish it wouldn't make my mumble overlay look so chunky by comparison :p

But that is a mumble overlay problem, definitely not yours! since the design fits really well with the game UI.

You get an R2D2 for the technical good work ;) since this forum does not have a thumps up smiley:

:csw_r2d2:

I ran this tonight in our progression HM SNV raid and we are very thrilled with the intricacies that you threw into the parser. There were just a few things we noticed as far as bugs:

parser starts over after Olok The Shadow disappears the first time

parser starts over after the dread guard ads die before the kell dragon on styrak

heals are counted on CCs that are active out of combat i.e concussion missle, whirlwind, etc. for example, if our merc dps CC'd an ad, the ad is healed for 4.3k every few seconds and it counts as heals on the parse though, he never healed anyone in the raid.

This happens with TORParse too, it's because CCs do heal mobs :)