redesign pebbles

ralphieceaser

It is pretty lame isn't it. I felt like I was throwing rocks and gobs of dirt when I played my Sage. Of all the elements to choose, they pick earth. I think it might have been more interesting, if they'd chosen fire, or wind even. Fire might not seem like a light side skill, but I don't see a problem. It would be infinitely cooler than rocks.

This has been brought up plenty of times over the course of this game's lifespan. There have been numerous attempts to make sure that Bioware changed their design approach - however they all proved to be futile, just as this one will. The forum population of the sages seem to be in agreement that the rockthrowing and pebblechanneling isn't wanted nor aesthetically pleasing. Usually these threads end up requesting a remake to some sort of instant and channeled disturbance/project effect.

Personally I think that the major probleim lies in that the class have two visual design approaches thrown into one end result.

-Telekinetic Energy (Disturbance, Telekinetic Wave, Turbulence)

-Some kind of elementalist with rocks (Project, Telekinetic Throw,

Say what you want about sorcerers and their lightning, their effects are consistent while the sage's arent. If they would just have stuck with one of the design philosophies I believe the class would've looked much better. Mixing in some kind of "mental superiority"/"zen" visuals with throwing rocks and applying a soap bubble to yourself and your friends just does not mix - looks inconsistent, weird and you cant buy the concept of telekinetic throw anymore.

Give me either a full force user with telekinetic energy:

Project = Instant disturbance effect on enemy

Telekinetic throw = Disturbance channel

AoE channel = Something else.

Or the elementalist approach (which would be amazing executed correctly)

Disturbance = Channeled project thats held back and quickly thrown.

Telekinetic throw = Project storm

/Change turbulence, AoE wave.

Bubble = The animation ( maybe a bit more visual) of the shadow tank's "kinetic ward"

Oh well. Won't happen. I just wish they approached it differently!

Edited by AdamLKvist

Seriously, who will play a sage that throws PEBBLES to a sorcerer that throws lightning.

I am bored of sorc throwing lightnings all the time but i cant take seriously a class that one of its major skills is throwing pebbles...

I play both a sage and a shadow and throw pebbles.. I will put an end to your spark any day!! :p

Seriously.. I think the way it is, is fine.. No changes need to be made.. If anything. I would like to see maybe a slightly higher volume of pebbles... :)

It is pretty lame isn't it. I felt like I was throwing rocks and gobs of dirt when I played my Sage. Of all the elements to choose, they pick earth. I think it might have been more interesting, if they'd chosen fire, or wind even. Fire might not seem like a light side skill, but I don't see a problem. It would be infinitely cooler than rocks.

Would have been more interesting but it wouldn't be STAR WARS anymore would it.

IP is what it is. They signed away the use of ice/flame casters in exchange for lightsabers.

Telekinesis is a fun power in theory but anyone with a sense of logic will notice it becomes REALLY flawed.

Sure, hurling bits of spaceships around LOOKS good like the opening trailer but if you do not have bits of spaceship lying around then what exactly do you throw ?

Pebbles flying at your target while your on a spaceship - just as bad as using project to rip a rock out of the ground when your on a spaceship.

The major issue is these powers need to have a visual animation and the foolish interpretation of Telekinesis being limited to hurling objects AT people rather than using the Telekinesis to hurl that person.

Solution - Drop the throwing stuff at people and simply make it an attack that causes distortion around the person.

Have the Jedi Sage do their pose with a hand glow which will cause an obvious distortion around the target complete with the 'force rumble' sound effect.

I would suggest actually making TK and lightning have a slow knock back mechanic based on the strength of the target in PVE to imply an actual sense of kinetic force behind the attack.

At least your sorc acts and moves like a sorc. You want to see a really messed up class that is opposite of what it is supposed to be try playing a trooper, or for that matter a vanguard. Here is just a sample of what we have to deal with in the area of bad animations pulse cannon, ion pulse, and grav round. Not to mention every npc gets a stockstrike that knocks you back, o thats right troopers arnt allowed to have that. Dont even get me started on the fact that a ranged in swg could fire while kneeling or prone. You know what the hell Jedi and sith all the way right? Same old garbage.

Pretty sure sages threw pieces of metal if on a ship

and droid parts as well but that we removed

Though it was pretty neat back then,

The question is what you rather have to replace it with ?

also somekind of cylinder which leads to:

sage defending and incoming attack to the ship

sage brings out a pipe from the floor and throws it at the enemy

enemy ship blasts the ammunition room causing a huge fire

Crew tries to stop the fire but no water is coming off the fire valve because the jedi ruined the fire line pipe...

Body type 4 Kinetic Shadow: So fat that he has his own asteroid belt.

Seriously, I hate Kinetic Ward more than I hate pebble assault. Why can't we get some soft gold-ish glow for Kinetic Ward (mirror of Sin purple glow, minus the stupid floating box), and some strong wind effect a la Satele in Hope trailer moments before she smashed Malgus into the rock face, instead of pebbles.

Body type 4 Kinetic Shadow: So fat that he has his own asteroid belt.

Seriously, I hate Kinetic Ward more than I hate pebble assault. Why can't we get some soft gold-ish glow for Kinetic Ward (mirror of Sin purple glow, minus the stupid floating box), and some strong wind effect a la Satele in Hope trailer moments before she smashed Malgus into the rock face, instead of pebbles.

Not the case anymore

They went the other way with this and changed dark wars to look like kinetic wars but instead of rocks you get a weird Holocron that spin around you, the look like books or something like my assassin is some kind of space librarian

Not the case anymore

They went the other way with this and changed dark wars to look like kinetic wars but instead of rocks you get a weird Holocron that spin around you, the look like books or something like my assassin is some kind of space librarian

*Sigh* BW does seem to have an obsession with sheer ugliness.

Who plays sage dps anyways, heals all the way.

I do, actually. TK is one of the most fun and visually appealing specs in the entire game.

Would have been more interesting but it wouldn't be STAR WARS anymore would it.

IP is what it is. They signed away the use of ice/flame casters in exchange for lightsabers.

True enough, but lately they're doing things that don't seem very 'star wars' to me anyhow. Have you seen the new blasters? They look like power drills ffs LOL

Seriously, who will play a sage that throws PEBBLES to a sorcerer that throws lightning.

I am bored of sorc throwing lightnings all the time but i cant take seriously a class that one of its major skills is throwing pebbles...

It's on design. it's MEANT to be boring ... uncool ... ridiculous ... making people NOT wanting to play this class ...

Would of been good to of had it based on alignment rather than faction. Pebbles or Air for good, lightening for bad

If I had to judge from the various canon sources, flinging objects versus lightning appears to be a choice on the part of the Force user; neither one nor the other is inherently Light or Dark, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to allow a character to pick whether they'd throw rocks or lightning. Now, the color of the lightning being different would be easy to justify, as a visual representation of how you connect to the Force.