Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Posting this here because it matters to those here.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Posting this here because it matters to those here.

ColorfulCaiques
05.20.2019 , 10:14 AM | #21
For the record, they stated after s9 that they were hoping for 3-6-month long seasons. S10 was almost 7 months long, and this season is on track to be just as long or even longer. They've made claims in the past for shorter seasons as well, but I don't think they've ever delivered on them. The past few seasons have been over half a year to almost a year long.

David is right that we're naive if we think things are gonna change for the better. Just look at the past year on this forum - it's dying in activity and it's become nothing but a complaint cove about wintraders.

And let us not forget bolster. Bolster breaks constantly. Plus, if your item level is just one tier below (even with augs) another team's in ranked that's stacked in full 258s + augs, you're extremely squishy and bolster does NOT help mitigate that divide. While I'm not against max bolster, they really need to finetune it to make sure it works like when we min/max our gear.

Lastly, they could also make the new gear grind and tactical items (or at least the latter) gated behind sub-only, just as they did with GC and RNG gearing, essentially making it a pseudo-p2w.
Don't flatter yourself, EA/BW. I'm just here by the grace of a referral.

Storm-Cutter
05.21.2019 , 06:04 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
What about for fun and enjoyment?
This message needs to be in huge letters of fire on the wall of the BioWare office. - Shame that there's nobody there most days. - But the fundamental message is this.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Rion_Starkiller
05.21.2019 , 09:05 AM | #23
Not sure what they "promised" though shorter seasons would be nice. But I just can't see them doing shorter than 6 months. They're already recycling old pvp rewards. I imagine the titles/rewards will steadily get worse as they run out of inspiration season after season.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

bUrself_
05.21.2019 , 09:11 AM | #24
max bolster is good

Quote: Originally Posted by ColorfulCaiques View Post
For the record, they stated after s9 that they were hoping for 3-6-month long seasons. S10 was almost 7 months long, and this season is on track to be just as long or even longer. .
7 months is a huge improvement over where things had been the previous couple seasons

Banderal
05.21.2019 , 09:33 AM | #25
I’ll use Banderal as a example (if I can) because he posted his experiences last preseason and his progress in season 11. He started to play preseason and increased his confidence and skill enough to stick around for season 11. He is a great example of how preseason can be beneficial for the whole ranked community.
Hey, I was ignoring this whole thread, and then my name shows up! I'm famous!

I'm not sure my participation was considered "beneficial" by some of the people in ranked, but yeah, I didn't get too many complaints. If I were forced to admit it, I probably get more help and more welcome, than I did complaints. I stopped when the complaints I did get started to turn ME into the jerk.

I started pre-season because I decided to finally get 252/258 gear, and then the combo of 2 specific things. 1. I had to either grind ossus or do ranked pvp to get ossus rep, and "pve - I'd rather watch paint dry" 2. Preseason meant I could do ranked pvp without killing anyone's elo.

For me, the only reason I would have wanted preseason to be longer was so that I could have geared better before the actual season started. Even though the raw stats (as reported on the character sheet) are not that different between bolster and 258... perception of skill is. Someone in 252 is a prime candidate for "focus them first", and if I'm new AND in 252, people learn quickly that I'm the weak link. IMO, getting used to ranked play is hard enough without also being the first one focused every time. (It's also why I think gearing up should not be through ranked to begin with.)

After the season started, I decided to stick with ranked PvP as long as I felt like I wasn't completely outclassed. Trying to be honest with myself, I was definitely not great, but I felt like I was learning and getting better. As I've stated before, my personal opinion about ranked is that anyone who is actively trying and is making progress should be welcomed in ranked if they show up. I know and accept that's not how everyone feels, so I'll just leave it there - but that's why I felt it was valid for me to stay in ranked play.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Rion_Starkiller
05.21.2019 , 09:36 AM | #26
What about for fun and enjoyment?
That's asking for dead queues. The only reason solos has any action is because of monumentals and aug mats. Otherwise people would only queue when the devs announce that the end of the season is coming (which is how it was pre-5.10)

It all goes back to quantity vs quality matches. Pre-season is fine, but it can't be months long.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

ColorfulCaiques
05.21.2019 , 12:59 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by bUrself_ View Post
max bolster is good

7 months is a huge improvement over where things had been the previous couple seasons
I would not call 7 months down from almost year-long seasons as a "huge improvement". A polished turd...
Don't flatter yourself, EA/BW. I'm just here by the grace of a referral.

bUrself_
05.22.2019 , 05:32 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ColorfulCaiques View Post
I would not call 7 months down from almost year-long seasons as a "huge improvement". A polished turd...
some were literally more than a year long. it's a ~50% reduction in season length, an objectively large improvement in the right direction

if you want to have delusional expectations just to have something to complain about then I guess you've got it all figured out

Severith
05.22.2019 , 06:57 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
https://ootinicast.com/2019/05/ootinicast-episode-361/

1:09.XX

It's more likely to be max bolster over expertise according to this dev interview

if you listen further to 1:13.xx they say ranked 12 will be 6.0 launch *after*
This isn't a dev interview, it's streamers and cosplayers talking about a dev interview.

The actual dev interview they're talking about is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knx_b243nRU

The real interview mentions max bolster as a means of testing things, not as how pvp is going to pan out at 6.0 goes live.

It's neither max bolster or expertise. It's item level counting as less, and set bonuses and tactical items counting as more. It's the gearing system from ESO, where mix and matching set bonuses determine playstyle.

It's about the 41 minute mark where they start talking gearing for pvp.

Good to see nothing's changed around here. It's just the same four "group think" people replying to every thread, drowning out actual information with their agendas. It's sad, because all these people were talking about how naive other people were, but no one bothered to fact check the opening post in the thread.

Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
2 pieces of advice mike. activate your forum DMs, and consider 6.0 wz bolster to be 4 rating above max gear rating. just trust this is what we want.
Just gonna leave that there in case you think there's no agenda there.

TrixxieTriss
05.22.2019 , 11:35 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
That's asking for dead queues..
That’s a sad state of affairs if people “only” pvp when they get rewarded. I pvp for the enjoyment of it. If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t play it even for rewards and because I play for enjoyment, I don’t need rewards to get me to play
But that’s just me, I play regardless.