New Player Ship Recommendation

Drakkolich

Often new players get very overwhelmed with GSF, and even though there are many good guides for top level ship builds, there really hasn’t been a ship build for new players so far. This is what this thread is going to try to tackle, I’m going to recommend a build and playstyle that I think new players will be able to both contribute to their team with, but also learn the fundamentals so they’ll be able to transition to the more complicated ones later on.

This guide is for how to play this specific ship and assumes you know the very simple basics of GSF, things like how to lock and fire missiles or aim lasers. If you don’t know these basics please check out some beginners guides on these forums or the GSF School videos (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTo5N9w5J_9OeqCvKfWMbQ) on Youtube and return to this thread afterwards.

The ship I’m recommending is the Type 2 Strike, the Quell on the Empire faction or the Pike on the Republic side.

This ship's specialty is being able to swap between 2 different missiles.

With that being said let’s get to the fun stuff, the ship build!

Heavy Lasers (Ignore Armor/Shield Piercing)

Proton Torpedo (Increased Firing Arc/Increased Range)

EMP Missile (Increased Range/Engine Suppression)

Quick-Charge Shield (Reduced Cooldown)

Barrel Roll (Increased Ship Speed)

Armor: Lightweight Armor

Capacitor: Range Capacitor

Magazine: Efficient Targeting

Thruster: Regeneration Thrusters

Crew:

Empire:

Offensive: Jaesa Willsam 6% Accuracy/2 Degrees arc

Defensive: Vector 5% Evasion/10% Shield max

Tactical: Treek Sensor Radius +3000m/Sensor Dampening +2000m

Engineering: Blizz 13% Engine efficiency/ 15% Engine Pool

Copilot: Blizz Hydrospanner

Republic:

Offensive: B-3G9 6% Accuracy/12% Secondary Cooldown Reduction

Defensive: Nadia Grell 5% Evasion/10% Shield max

Tactical: Treek Sensor Radius +3000m/Sensor Dampening +2000m

Engineering: C2-N2 13% Engine efficiency/ 15% Engine Pool

Copilot: B-3G9 Hydrospanner

Now let’s talk about how you’d play this build, since the whole idea here is to find a good build that is also good for very new players, I’ve made the build as easy to play as possible. The general idea is simple, we fire EMP’s at targets and after they use their engine maneuver to break it or if it lands then we swap to Proton to deal massive direct to hull damage. I’ll go into more detail later on with different tips for how to play more efficiently.

Right now let’s talk about how to use our abilities we’re going to have on our bar.

First up in the “1” slot we have the ability to swap missiles, your generally going to want to be on EMP Missile most of the time, that’s the missile you open with, however should you see someone use their engine maneuver in front of you, simply press 1 and swap to Proton and lock and fire that at them.

Second in the “2” slot we have our shield Quick-Charge Shield, this one is super easy to use, if you’ve taken some shield damage and suspect you’re going to take more press that 2 button, it will give you some shields now and up your in combat regeneration significantly.

Third in the “3” slot we have our engine maneuver Barrel Roll. This engine maneuver has a very long cooldown, but it’s advantage is it sends you very far in a straight line, meaning it’s very easy to aim it, you always know where you’re going with it. It’s very important that you don’t aim yourself into open space, you want to end up somewhere near something you can orbit, like a Satellite or an Asteroid and just a structure of some kind. After you’ve used it, you’re going to be very vulnerable to enemy missiles, which you need to stay near objects until it’s almost ready again.

Fourth in the “4” slot we have Hydrospanner, this is another super to easy ability to use. It regains your ships hull, it repairs you. All you need to do is anytime your ship is any color but green on your interface you press 4. You have to be at 80% hull for the ship to turn yellow so even there you’ll get the full amount of healing of your hydrospanner, so you never have to worry about “wasting” it.

I made a quick video of myself playing this build with my teammates, just to give you a rough idea of how it plays. I'm hoping to make others in the future, but I know many of you like videos out there so you can actually see how stuff works.

Alright so now we have a build, we know how the abilities work, but ships don’t start out mastered, you have to earn requisition to get this build maxed out. This next part will be a good path for how to spend requisition as you earn it until the ship is mastered.

The formula I’m going to be putting these in is the Component and then a number, the number is the upgrade number from top to bottom, for example Barrel roll 1, would be the first upgrade for Barrel roll reduced power cost. While Heavy Lasers 0, would be you swaping the starting component out for Heavy Lasers.

Here we go!

Barrel Roll 1 (500)

Barrel Roll 2 (1250)

Heavy Lasers 0 (1000)

EMP Missile 0 (1000)

EMP Missile 1 (500)

Proton Torpedo 1 (500)

Regeneration Thrusters 0 (500)

Regeneration Thrusters 1 (500)

Regeneration Thrusters 2 (750)

Heavy Lasers 1 (500)

Quick-Charge Shield 1 (500)

Quick-Charge Shield 2 (1250)

Efficient Targeting 0 (500)

Efficient Targeting 1 (500)

Efficient Targeting 2 (750)

Efficient Targeting 3 (1250)

Lightweight Armor 1 (500)

Lightweight Armor 2 (750)

Regeneration Thrusters 3 (1250)

Lightweight Armor 3 (1250)

Range Capacitor 1 (500)

Range Capacitor 2 (750)

Range Capacitor 3 (1250)

Barrel Roll 3 (5000)

EMP Missile 2 (1250)

EMP Missile 3 (2500)

EMP Missile 4 (5000)

EMP Missile 5 (7500)

Heavy Lasers 2 (1250)

Heavy Lasers 3 (2500)

Heavy Lasers 4 (5000)

Quick-Charge Shield 3 (5000)

Heavy Lasers 5 (7500)

Proton Torpedo 2 (1250)

Proton Torpedo 3 (2500)

Proton Torpedo 4 (5000)

Proton Torpedo 5 (7500)

Total 76750

Assuming you play the daily every day you’ll get 12 400 req every week. So without any req from the actual matches you’d master this ship in only a little over 6 weeks (Not to mention that would master ALL of your ships not just this one)

There you go, and now you’re mastered!

Now we’ll move onto Tips and Tricks to play this build well. All of these are going to assume the build is mastered, because tailoring specific scenarios for different levels of requisition would be way too time consuming, also it really doesn’t take long to master a ship these days, so I feel it wouldn’t be that helpful.

- When using EMP missile always remember about it’s Area of Effect ability. You can always target something that can’t use a missile break to force a hit on a different target if he’s nearby. For example when someone is near a Defense Turret in Domination or a Drone you can simply EMP that target which will make the AOE hit everyone else around as well, letting you swap to Proton and fire at different targets that now no longer can use their engine maneuver to break the missile in flight.

- One trick I like a lot, is let’s say your target is in perfect firing range for your lasers and you’re getting some great laser damage in. Once your missile lock is finished simply don’t fire it, continue getting great laser shots in. What this does is for your opponent to make a decision, either they use their engine maneuver not to break a missile in flight to stop taking laser damage or they continue dying to laser damage. You’d be very surprised how many players just let themselves die to lasers. (This trick can also work on you though, don’t be afraid to use Barrel roll to simply get out of laser fire range, just remember to orbit an object afterwards to keep yourself safe from missiles until Barrel roll is almost ready again)

- This ship isn’t going to be great at dealing damage while actually being on a satellite in Domination. It can however be very tanky while doing so, when playing defense in Domination make sure to swap to Power to Shields (F2) and focus more on landing EMP missiles then anything else. When doing so you’ll be more of a support roll, but focusing on this activity is going to be great practice for later on when you start playing other ship builds that do deal damage well on Satellites.

Well we’ve got the build, we kind of know how to play it now but why is this build good for new players?

First of all, this ship is the easiest ship in the game to manage engine power on, which is the life blood of GSF, if you run out of engine power you’re going to be far too slow to move around and you’ll be easy pickings. The reason it’s the easiest is Quick Charge shield makes your engines recharge faster when you’re using them then normal. It also has extra speed, extra engine regeneration, more just raw engine power to start and more engine power efficiency.

Second up, all of the abilities are very simple to remember how to use, take hull damage, press 4, take shield damage press 2, got a missile fired on you look straight to where you want to go and press 3.

Thirdly, every single weapon bypasses shields on this ship, so every time you hit someone with a weapon you are dealing lasting damage to them, you don’t have to kill anyone in a small window of time. All of the weapons also ignore armor completely, so you don’t have to worry at all about swapping to specific weapons to deal with any kind of high damage reduction build.

Fourth up, this ship has the longest firing lasers in the game, many players struggle with staying in range with their lasers to deal damage, this ship gives you the highest possible range to make it as easy as possible to be able to hit with your lasers.

Lastly, Missiles are the easiest weapons in the game to aim and the fact that they are longer range ones, means they’re even easier. While locking these missiles might not make you deal super high amounts of damage on the scoreboard, you are dealing constant damage or forcing other players to use their precious missile breaks so that your teammates can either capitalize on that or get away from whoever might have been chasing them.

To end I’d just like to mention that there are plenty of other good builds for new players, I just feel this one specifically is going to be one of the easiest to learn on, while it’s also teaching you the fundamentals of the game you’re going to use for many of the other tip top ships you’ll play later on.

Hope this helps and as always feel free to add any questions you might have. :)

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this!

The advice - and more importantly the tone - is encouraging and helpful to those of us struggling with the frustration of doing well - or more accurately, not doing so well - in GSF.

This was actually, positively, helpful, and a pleasant change from the stock 'git gud' or 'learn to fly' snide comments I've seen far too often posted in the GSF or Ops channel post-match.

This post was helpful. A lot!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes thank you for this guide. Really well written and explained. I prefer the Imperium, but that ship only becomes useful once you can afford a lot of the upgrades, until then this is probably the best choice as far as Strike Fighters go for new players.

Yes thank you for this guide. Really well written and explained. I prefer the Imperium, but that ship only becomes useful once you can afford a lot of the upgrades, until then this is probably the best choice as far as Strike Fighters go for new players.

I mean the Imperium/Clarion is my favorite ship, this guide was more for newer players and the defensive tools of the Imperium/Clarion are quite a bit more difficult to play properly.

I'm glad to guide could help though! :)

If you'd ever want to do a 1 on 1 training session for the Imperium though feel free to let me know and we can set that up.