[3.0+] The Marksmanship I Sharpshooter Guide

DieGhostDie

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May i ask if there is still this skill call "Lethal Shot". Because i cannot find this skill at all. I have seen all available skills in skill tree and in trainer as well just cannot find it. Please advice.

Where was lethal shot mentioned?

Anyway, Lethal Shot is the level 57 ability gained in the Virulence tree. On a slinger, it goes by the name "Dirty Blast".

• 1 month later...

Just started practicing sharpshooter. But I'm a little confused because I believe I followed the guide and still I got ****** dps. My gear is mostly 180 with 186 augments and 186 barrels. I've gotten like 3.76k which I know for sure should be better. Did a rotation with my sentinel and got 4k dps with same gear. The problem is just I'm kindda done playing sentinel at least for a while and wanna try out gunslinger. So I'm really committed to getting better dps if I could just find out what I should do better.

Check the last parse:

http://parsely.io/parser/view/45263/5

Advice and tips are very welcome:)

Edited by Aldozer

Just started practicing sharpshooter. But I'm a little confused because I believe I followed the guide and still I got ****** dps. My gear is mostly 180 with 186 augments and 186 barrels. I've gotten like 3.76k which I know for sure should be better. Did a rotation with my sentinel and got 4k dps with same gear. The problem is just I'm kindda done playing sentinel at least for a while and wanna try out gunslinger. So I'm really committed to getting better dps if I could just find out what I should do better.

Check the last parse:

APM is your biggest issue. Should be hovering at 42 minimum. Most people are pulling closer to 44

APM is your biggest issue. Should be hovering at 42 minimum. Most people are pulling closer to 44

No, proper APM in Sharpshooter is 40-42. Anything higher than that is because people bounce in and out of cover during parses for the instant Charged Burst. That does nothing for dps, but infates your APM.

Check the last parse:

It is not a bad starting point. I would switch to the 1m or the 1.5m dummy to get a better idea of your actual sustained damage. At that gear level you shouldn't be expecting to do much better than that. I would run some SM stuff and get up to 192 level to see where you stand dps-wise.

No, proper APM in Sharpshooter is 40-42. Anything higher than that is because people bounce in and out of cover during parses for the instant Charged Burst. That does nothing for dps, but infates your APM.

While true, it doesn't do NOTHING to your dps. If you time the instant casts correctly, (During Burst Volley Uptime and after use of Cool Head), you won't lose energy by being topped off for too long, therefore granting more energy later on in the rotation. That's why people are at 44. But other wise, yes, that is the typical APM otherwise.

Thx for the advice. I've done a couple of parses and I've started using keybinds which got my apm up a little. Last parse I did in same gear was 3925 dps.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/45778/27

Considdering my gear is lower than 186 which used to be the old dread master nim gear in which if I'm remebering correctly people used to do (at least the best ones) about 4k dps. But still we've gotten some damage and stuff from levels so don't know. At least my dps is better now thanks to apm and a little poslishing. Will be doing much much more rotation wise and will start working on the 1 million dummy. Thx:)

Thx for the advice. I've done a couple of parses and I've started using keybinds which got my apm up a little. Last parse I did in same gear was 3925 dps.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/45778/27

Considdering my gear is lower than 186 which used to be the old dread master nim gear in which if I'm remebering correctly people used to do (at least the best ones) about 4k dps. But still we've gotten some damage and stuff from levels so don't know. At least my dps is better now thanks to apm and a little poslishing. Will be doing much much more rotation wise and will start working on the 1 million dummy. Thx:)

This is perfectly fine for the gearing you are in. Just keep on practicing and get some gear.

• 4 weeks later...
So I'm having an awful time keeping my energy up with this guide. So Im obviously doing something terribly wrong. Im not really in any special gear, no set pieces, but a mix of 198/192 comm stuff. I can get up to about 300k damage dealt on a 500k dummy (figured I'd start small the move up to the 1 mil when I actually feel comfortable), and then my energy management goes totally down hill. I just don't understand how to keep energy up here so all help would be greatly appreciated.

So I'm having an awful time keeping my energy up with this guide. So Im obviously doing something terribly wrong. Im not really in any special gear, no set pieces, but a mix of 198/192 comm stuff. I can get up to about 300k damage dealt on a 500k dummy (figured I'd start small the move up to the 1 mil when I actually feel comfortable), and then my energy management goes totally down hill. I just don't understand how to keep energy up here so all help would be greatly appreciated.

If you could post one of your parses up on parsley and then post it here, that would help a lot since then we can analyze it closely and see exactly what we can help you change.

The timing op the instant cast Snipes does help in the long run. When you do your opener, after that second Penetrating Blasts w/ Followthrough, you want to follow that up with an instant Snipe because here you will hit the cap on your energy, thus preventing all the energy you could potentially use over the course of the parse. More specifically, when you are about to go into a Sniper Volley phase, you should do the following: (Typically you'll use a Followthrough right before you do this)

Followthrough / Proc Insta-snipe - PB - FT - PB - FT - Instant Snipe / Proc Insta Snipe - Insta Snipe - Rotation...

This way, you'll never go OVER the energy cap, which will preserve more energy to use later on. You should only need to use this when you need burst volley active since it has an increased Energy Regen Rate. Otherwise, save the instant proc if you ever need to move during a raid.

If you could post one of your parses up on parsley and then post it here, that would help a lot since then we can analyze it closely and see exactly what we can help you change.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/52714

I think I just need a horribly simple explanation of things cause I doubt Im doing this correctly at all. Whoever said dps was the easiest role to play in this game was so terribly off base.

So one thing Im not doing is staying in cover, my reasoning was: mechanics say i need to be able to be on the move so cover is somewhat meaningless when my abilities all come out of cover just as in. I guess that's wrong.

Edit: Here is my best parse to date.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/52718

Edited by Shwarzchild

http://parsely.io/parser/view/52714

I think I just need a horribly simple explanation of things cause I doubt Im doing this correctly at all. Whoever said dps was the easiest role to play in this game was so terribly off base.

So one thing Im not doing is staying in cover, my reasoning was: mechanics say i need to be able to be on the move so cover is somewhat meaningless when my abilities all come out of cover just as in. I guess that's wrong.

Edit: Here is my best parse to date.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/52718

you're skipping way too many trickshots. namely after aimed shot and penetrating blasts....trickshots basically give you back 1 energy so long as you are at the peak of your energy regen because they cost 5 but your regen at that point is 6/s. start using trickshot more(a good rule of thumb is to ALWAYS use it when it's off cooldown, unless the target you're fighting is sub-30% and quickdraw isn't on cooldown) and you won't run into as many energy problems.

also you need to stay in cover and have no reason not to, especially as sharpshooter. to do 90% of your abilities you have to cast/channel them. while you cast/channel you have to sit still. while you sit still you may as well be in cover simultaneously. this will eliminate any pushback you will get which will lower your DPS during a boss, as well as improve your energy regeneration rate by 1 a second as per the "Foxhole" talent in the tree. so make sure you're in cover whenever you're DPSing. a slinger/sniper shouldn't be hindered by cover and instead revel in the benefits it provides. :) that and using trickshot more and I imagine your energy problems will almost entirely disappear.

Edited by OMGITSJAD

you're skipping way too many trickshots. namely after aimed shot and penetrating blasts....trickshots basically give you back 1 energy so long as you are at the peak of your energy regen because they cost 5 but your regen at that point is 6/s. start using trickshot more(a good rule of thumb is to ALWAYS use it when it's off cooldown, unless the target you're fighting is sub-30% and quickdraw isn't on cooldown) and you won't run into as many energy problems.

also you need to stay in cover and have no reason not to, especially as sharpshooter. to do 90% of your abilities you have to cast/channel them. while you cast/channel you have to sit still. while you sit still you may as well be in cover simultaneously. this will eliminate any pushback you will get which will lower your DPS during a boss, as well as improve your energy regeneration rate by 1 a second as per the "Foxhole" talent in the tree. so make sure you're in cover whenever you're DPSing. a slinger/sniper shouldn't be hindered by cover and instead revel in the benefits it provides. :) that and using trickshot more and I imagine your energy problems will almost entirely disappear.

wow. big difference just using trick shot off cool down and staying in cover as you suggested. had zero issues with energy management. Still only hitting 2.8. But, at least I'm sitting at a comfortable 2.8 without any problems. Not fantastic by any means, and I'm sure it'll drop by like a thousand when I hit a boss fight, but at least it's something.

Edited by Shwarzchild

wow. big difference just using trick shot off cool down and staying in cover as you suggested. had zero issues with energy management. Still only hitting 2.8. But, at least I'm sitting at a comfortable 2.8 without any problems. Not fantastic by any means, and I'm sure it'll drop by like a thousand when I hit a boss fight, but at least it's something.

Raise your APM, get the 6-piece set bonus, and min/max your gear, and you'll see your numbers improve quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again, great guide!!

I've been testing different varations for the flow of the 3 block rotation and seem to be getting best results by giving Corrosive Dart / Vital Shot a high priority for filler spots. Managed to do 5030 that way (gear is 198 except for 2 slots and 204 MH).

If anyone's interested, I will provide the log as soon as parsely lets me upload again :)

I've been testing different varations for the flow of the 3 block rotation and seem to be getting best results by giving Corrosive Dart / Vital Shot a high priority for filler spots. Managed to do 5030 that way (gear is 198 except for 2 slots and 204 MH).

If anyone's interested, I will provide the log as soon as parsely lets me upload again :)

Damn, that must mean that I have to parse again to get back my top spot :D

But more on topic, that's what I tried to do as well, not quite to the extent that you did (i just put CD at 2 static points in the rotation which keeps it up for most of the fight and takes up quite a few filler spots) but I will try that tonight when I can get online and keep CD up as much as possible and see how I do.

Damn, that must mean that I have to parse again to get back my top spot :D

But more on topic, that's what I tried to do as well, not quite to the extent that you did (i just put CD at 2 static points in the rotation which keeps it up for most of the fight and takes up quite a few filler spots) but I will try that tonight when I can get online and keep CD up as much as possible and see how I do.

Sorry for ruining your plans for tonight ;-)

I actually wasn't aiming for a top parse, I was just trying to figure out the most effective rotation, since I've always felt bad about my Sharpshooter skills. So I didn't even have Starparse running when I was hitting the Dummy and used a blue adrenal instead of the purple one I use when I deliberately parse for top scores in the specs I know well. So I was really surprised when I checked the final numbers, since I wouldn't have thought I could ever do that in Sharpshooter.

Maybe it's just a lucky parse, cause it has very good crit numbers - but then again, top parses always have those and I keep parsing close to 5.000 pretty consistently now. So I'm really curious what's your conclusion on the Vital Shot rotation I tried, cause I'm not experienced enough in this spec to say for sure if it is better than the "classic" filler rotation...

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

I actually wasn't aiming for a top parse, I was just trying to figure out the most effective rotation, since I've always felt bad about my Sharpshooter skills. So I didn't even have Starparse running when I was hitting the Dummy and used a blue adrenal instead of the purple one I use when I deliberately parse for top scores in the specs I know well. So I was really surprised when I checked the final numbers, since I wouldn't have thought I could ever do that in Sharpshooter.

Maybe it's just a lucky parse, cause it has very good crit numbers - but then again, top parses always have those and I keep parsing close to 5.000 pretty consistently now. So I'm really curious what's your conclusion on the Vital Shot rotation I tried, cause I'm not experienced enough in this spec to say for sure if it is better than the "classic" filler rotation...

Well, a CD does more dps than a snipe, so i would assume that the more CD ticks the better, i think i tried keeping CD up all the time, but i ran into energy issues and messed up the rotation from placing it in spots i shouldn't have. With a bit of practice I should be able to keep it up with almost 100% uptime which should be a dps increase over just using snipe as much as possible.

How much crit rating are you running? I feel like I know the rotation on dummy well enough beside sometimes running into energy management issues, but all the parses I see have insane crit and I don't know if those are just lucky or they're stacking crit rating to get there(my highest on dummy has been 4641 for reference, I believe I had 333 crit rating in my gear, I've tried slotting 415 by adding two crit crystals, but didn't see my numbers improve much)

I tried both using CD every time it fell off and I had enough energy to reapply it and I also tried using it in 2 static filler spots per 45 sec rotation, neither really seemed to be much of a difference in dps. Granted, I didn't do a ton of parses but I couldn't tell the difference. Theoretically though, using CD as much as possible should be a dps gain.

How much crit rating are you running? I feel like I know the rotation on dummy well enough beside sometimes running into energy management issues, but all the parses I see have insane crit and I don't know if those are just lucky or they're stacking crit rating to get there(my highest on dummy has been 4641 for reference, I believe I had 333 crit rating in my gear, I've tried slotting 415 by adding two crit crystals, but didn't see my numbers improve much)

I'm running 242 crit and I'm seeing a dps loss if I go higher, even if it's just 280, numbers go down for me. (And I run one alacrity enhancement).

I'm not reapplying CD EXACTLY when it runs out, I often delay it by one GCD to get Followthrough / Trickshot in first for energy management.

Generally I was thinking the same: CD is more damage per activation than Snipe / Charged Burst, that's why I started fiddling with the rotation.

It's what I generally do when learning DPS specs: Play a rotation that seems to make sense and then I check damage per activation for each ability in Starparse to derive exact ability priorities. Then I check ability cooldowns and interdependent procs (if there are any, in this case it would be cheaper Snipes / Charged Bursts after Followthrough / Trickshot). Then I try to come up with a rotation that picks up on these priorities. Sometimes I fail miserably trying to improve the rotation commonly used, sometimes I can improve on it.

That's why I'm so curious if I just had lucky crits (which I absolutely had, no doubt!) or if this is indeed an improvement...

I'm running 242 crit and I'm seeing a dps loss if I go higher, even if it's just 280, numbers go down for me. (And I run one alacrity enhancement).

So I lowered my crit rating to 252 and the next two parses afterwards were 100 and then 200 DPS above my previous highest, no joke. Thanks. :rak_09: