The portrayal of the Sith: Wasted potential

Xqirrel

I'm not fond of how any of the Sith are portrayed in this game. Or in Star Wars as a whole, really. I don't really care for Bane, though that trilogy was at least better written than Revan. Sith are not pitiless robots. They aren't sociopaths solely motivated by gaining advantage. That's essentially a selfish Jedi. We can argue that Bane wasn't selfish because he was a visionary trying to create a New Order, but does that actually compare any better with the Jedi? It makes him even more Jedi-like. The best in-game version, to me, is Angral, because yes, he was a puppy kicking Saturday morning villain, but he was motivated by a very specific drive: avenging his son.

It's something that we don't really see in the other Sith characters [even our own], which is how a family structure would work. Like how would their society function on a day to day level if fathers treated their children like overseers at the academy? It wouldn't. Baras tried to free his sister, but did he do that because he missed her or because she was useful? BW doesn't really give us an answer, but given how both Sith behave, I think it was more a cold calculation than actual passion. For the most part, when Sith speak of passion, they mean anger or fear, but with Angral we saw pride [of someone other than himself], grief and loss. It wasn't the best job, but it sure beats Jadus out of the park.

I much prefer how the Sith were portrayed in K2, with different natures, unpredictable [and chaotic evil is not unpredictable], alien in some ways, similar to Jedi in more than a structural way, but out of control of their emotions [and not just shock lightning as a go-to option]. The description of the True Sith in that game, and the way Revan prepared himself for the trip, made me think [in hindsight] that the sequel would be playing in a setting like Nathema or Oricon. You wouldn't want to bring a whole bunch of people on that trip, they'd either be taken captive and tortured, killed by the environment or corrupted. But, hell, he could have easily taken Bastila and Canderous to DK.

Instead, the two sith storylines made it clear very quickly that the majority of sith are either vapid buffoons or overpowered killing machines except for one fatal, fairly obvious flaw. Or devious fat men. I think the masks you see on Jadus, Baras etc were also a step in the right direction, but the final design didn't come off right. If Vitiate had been more like Nihlius, but with lines and a brain, he also would have been a lot more scary, instead of a Palpy wannabe.

You get the sense that maybe when the Emperor was directly running things, the society was actually pretty dark, instead of space nazis [the Hogan's Heroes Nazis]. OTOH, Scourge was around for that, and doesn't think Sith have changed at all. And to be fair, Sith society in this game isn't all that different than the way the Sith were depicted in the Tales of the Jedi, minus the massassi slaves.

Edited by Ardrossan

Yeah, I see your point. Would be interesting to get something like King Adas' writings or an Ancient Sith Warlord or even Priest talking about their society.

I would love to see anything along those lines made available. Best we can piece together is the original Sith culture was militaristic with a caste system so we can guess that they would likely hold concepts like honor and duty as important. Since the Jedi and Dark Jedi are the big stickler's for an interpretation of a Light side and Dark side, for all we know the original Sith interpretation of the Force is just a really useful tool to accomplish things with whether it's seen as good or bad being dependent on it's usage. For example using the Force to shape an animal to be a better beast of burden for one's settlement would be seen as good, but turning that animal on an enemy would be seen as bad from that enemy's perspective.

Yo guys, this is my first post on the forums, so be gentle :p

I recently started playing the SW story, and the way my character developed led me to realize how much potential is constantly being wasted in how the Sith, and the dark side in general, is portrayed in Star Wars.

My Sith is not some crazy, charicature, she is not some lunatic that goes around killing puppies - she basically is Daenerys Targaryen, just evil :)

Imagine a world where the Sith are not constantly portrayed as this ridiculous, over the top interpretation of space Nazis - instead they are the powerful, merciless rulers of a powerful, authoritarian interstellar empire, almost worshipped like demigods by their subjects.

Which villain actually portrays themselves as evil? Nobody does, including the Sith! The sith don't see themselves as evil, in their minds they are the good guys - and the Jedi are nothing but a perversion of nature, an affront to the natural order.

When i think of a sith lord in my head i don't think of Darth Sidious, or Snoke - I'm thinking of Tywin Lannister, of Julius Caesar, of Darken Rahl (if anybody read the sword of truth)!

I actually think that is what they tried to do with Valkorion - who is a better, and more intimidating Sith that Vitiate ever was, imo!

I'm tired of the same, rehearsed version of space Nazis in every new Star Wars film - who in their right mind would actually fight for these idiots?

Disclaimer: this post has no point, i just was bored and felt like rambling :p

haha I think I get wat you mean. the first order are like nazi's in the sequel trilogy lol :rod_grin_g:

subtime http://www.swtor.com/r/q4rVsH thnx if you clicked and if you didn't have a nice day

Edited by yobamo

• 3 weeks later...

Id consider checking out Darth Plagueis by James Luceno, one of my favorite books that offers a more methodical take on Sith.

I also dislike how one dimensional a lot of the Imperial and Sith characters are and personally would like to see more logical Sith with legitimate goals.

• 4 weeks later...

Conformity is poison to the true Sith. And I don't speak of trueness in the traditional, inherited sense but more-so how successful you are.

Kallig and Wrath are successful because they do not conform, least of all Kallig. They have plethora of choices to make and many of them can be rather non-traditional, less "sith-y" decisions.

So in my opinion for a Sith to become successful and be less stereotypical is to avoid his or her peers like the plague. Just do the tasks your master requires and otherwise try get as much fresh air from the Sith bubble as possible. It seems that the insanity and clichéness of the Sith just intensifies when they are grouped together tightly.

What Rule of 2 did well also was implicitly realize and then put into action my point. There was only the Master and the Apprentice. The dark side at the time was in dire straits and that was a great tactic for survival, which ultimately culminated in the genius of Plagueis and Sidious and in the glory of Vader.

For the Sith Empire to become more sane, it needs to have a Sith purge. In my ideal scenario the one pulling the Empire's strings is Jadus, his "herald" is Acina and his trinity will either be completed with Vowrawn or the Sith player.

The reason I think Sith are very one-dimensional is because the writers of the story cannot relate to them, they don't know and cannot imagine what some people would do and how they would behave if they had the power to be free to exercise their will over others and themselves in an environment like the Sith Empire. The Sith code is literally just about being free to do whatever you want so long as you are strong enough, it doesn't say anything else.