Noob pvp question

Shinian

So, I don’t pvp usually. But something strange happened last night that I though you all might answer.

So someone ninja challenged me to a duel out of the blue. Normally I’d reject it and go on my way. But I wasn’t paying attention.

I was on my commando The other guy was on a shadow.

What happened was, I could damage him but every time I got him to about 2/3rds health maybe, he would heal himself to full. I have basic heals and I couldn’t do that. It can’t be a medpack as those are single use. And I thought the companion heals were disabled during a duel. Maybe I’m wrong on that point but it didn’t look like my companion was helping me. Is there another skill I’m missing that they might have used?

So, I don’t pvp usually. But something strange happened last night that I though you all might answer.

So someone ninja challenged me to a duel out of the blue. Normally I’d reject it and go on my way. But I wasn’t paying attention.

What happened was, I could damage him but every time I got him to about 2/3rds health maybe, he would heal himself to full. I have basic heals and I couldn’t do that. It can’t be a medpack as those are single use. And I thought the companion heals were disabled during a duel. Maybe I’m wrong on that point but it didn’t look like my companion was helping me. Is there another skill I’m missing that they might have used?

I'm pretty sure companions can participate in duels if they're not dismissed or put on passive, so it could just be that. Could be wrong there, I haven't tried dueling with a companion out in a while.

They could have also used life warden (a tactical that heals you a lot when you get to low hp, but it's on a 10 minute cooldown) once, and medpac another time.

Companions will heal you during duels. He probably CCd your companion so it couldn't heal you.

I don't know about companions in duels. He may have mezzed yours to stop the incoming heals for you?

Infiltration Shadows have a couple legit ways to heal with their own abilities. Battle Readiness restores 15% health immediately, and then heals about 3-4K every time their "technique" triggers. They can also spend a utility point on Restorative Shade, which builds them stacks of healing when they combat stealth. That can heal for 30%-ish of their health (or more, it's never been clear to me whether or not it heals on the "zero-ith" tick) but they have to combat stealth and then stay vanished for 10 seconds to get maximum benefit.

I don't think tank shadows have anything other than that - I took a quick look through my level 70 tank and didn't see anything, but I haven't played my tank shadow since they release the 6.0 expansion so I don't remember that well anymore.

And I've never played serenity, so I can't help you there either.

Depending on what exactly they did, and how many times, I'm not sure any of that explains what you saw.

The med-pack use is restricted to once per fight, so if they were able to break combat (using cloak) they might be able to use a 2nd one. Not sure a how that works in duels, if breaking combat stop the duel, or is not possible, or if it's all good. Although pvp medpacks, even then, have a pretty long cooldown, so I'd be surprised if he got a second one in. I guess you could also use normal medpacks in duels? I don't even keep normal medpacks anymore, so I don't know anything about those.

And he might have had a life-warden tactical, but that doesn't trigger at 2/3 health (unless bioware changed it, or there's some way to force it to trigger?). When I used on the PTS it triggered at a lot lower.