Emote Window in 6.2 - Feedback

CommunityTeam

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

You can now test our new Emote Window on PTS! This new window improves accessibility to emotes with new features such as: Grouping unlocked emotes, an indicator as to whether an emote loops, and more.

Let us know your thoughts below.

Edited by CommunityTeam

I like the infinity symbol for looping a lot very smart.

Could there be a symbol for "does not actually emote anything" like "/oor" Out of Resources? I know you added additional emotes to some of those old no-animation emotes a while ago that was cool.

Looking forward to cataloging the emotes!

Looks like emotes can only target players now, and no longer NPCs like on live. When I target an NPC, it says e.g. "You wave at everyone." instead of "You wave at Medical Droid."

I hope this is not intended; using emotes on NPCs, companions, pets etc. is very important for both PvE and RP.

Other than that, the emote window looks fine; I dislike that I now have to click multiple times and the submenus no longer open on hover like before.

Most importantly, please remove emotes that are not obtainable. By adding a bar "X/X Unlocked", you imply that all the emotes in that list are unlockable.

This issues already exists with the old emote window but it never was much of a problem; now that you have added the completion bar, it neerds to be addressed. Please remove the emotes that have never been released.

Edited by Jerba

- I like it that it now shows: loop or single use emote

- Dances: if you do a dance and want to switch, you need to take a step forwards or jump. maybe make it that it automatically switches the dance without movement needed?

- Add automatic emotes button (for emotes that you got within your collection)

- Maybe make it that it opens a second window. Right now you need to click back and forth when looking for that single emote.

- Maybe remove the emotes that show no expression or do something? Because there are a few that's just... text in the text-box.

- Do something /w the size of the interface. What i liked as rp'r is that you QUICKLY could go over the tab on the side of your screen, search for the emote and click it. Now? You get a giant *** block within your screen.

Idea:

Maybe add an new window where you can favorite your emotes? Now you need to search through a giant *** list which also has multiple catagorizations. But if you could click a little star on the side, which automatically would put it somewhere else with your other favorited emotes?

( for example rp'rs use a lot of : bow / meditate / cheer / formal bow etc. It will make their quality of life within the rp so much better.

but really.... do something about it's size :confused:

I. AM. LOVING THIS! I especially love that I can see which ones I have, and which ones I don't have. Like that /typing emote that has been there and never made to use for years that I really want. Some emotes interrupt other emotes (as they should). Unfortunately they don't do it consistently from the emote window like they do when used in the chat box. However, if that is working as it should then I have no issue.

Any chance we’ll be able to keybind / hotlink emotes to our task bars?

Edit: also can you please put all the emotes on the Cartel Market sale. I’ve noticed there are emotes I don’t have but are not available on the CM

One more wish. MORE DANCE EMOTES PLEASE :D

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Haven't checked the PTS but hoping there will be the ability to claim all unlocked emotes at once for each/all toon.

Would love if emotes such as Style that have more than one dance could be seperated out into style 1 style 2 style 3 so that you can equip the one you actually want to use.

Thank you for trying to improve areas of the game that already exist.

Looks like emotes can only target players now, and no longer NPCs like on live. When I target an NPC, it says e.g. "You wave at everyone." instead of "You wave at Medical Droid."

I hope this is not intended; using emotes on NPCs, companions, pets etc. is very important for both PvE and RP.

Yes this must be fixed, also cannot target other players' companions right now.

I'm a huge roleplayer and have been since MMOs came out, so this upgrade is very exciting to me.

THE GOOD --

* The emotes I can actually use are on top. Awesome!

THE BAD --

* The window is a bit big. I like the large text size, but the buttons and window could be much smaller. If we're roleplaying and using emotes, we want to see what's going on, not a big window!

* Putting the total unlocked count in a huge bar at the top makes the tool feel more like a cash grab. It's useful information that should be much smaller and at the bottom of the list.

* There is no indication of whether or not an emote has a visual aspect or audio component. You can click play and see nothing happen if you don't have your chat window open or properly filtered.

* Moods are confusing. They don't say they loop but they don't stop. Also, there are emotes that look like moods, such as /frown and /grin that don't actually change your facial expression. Perhaps the face-changing emotes need to have a little drama mask icon or something to explain the different behavior.

* Looping emotes are sloppy. In most MMOs, a looping emote is one that continues the action, NOT one that simply triggers the same emote over and over. For example, /surrender makes you raise your hands, lower them, raise them again, lower them... etc. In other MMOs, you would raise your hands in surrender and keep them there until the emote ends.

CHAIR and SITTING emotes are a perfect example, as you sit and stay sitting, you don't sit, get up, sit, get up...

* Some emotes are looping that don't make any sense, such as /congratulate.

SUGGESTIONS --

* Create a Favorites category where we can place the emotes we use the most.

* Allow us to drag emotes from the box to our action bars, so we can click to perform them. (This is pretty standard in other MMOs and extremely helpful for roleplayers.)

* Give us text override abilities on emotes with animations. This makes them much more flexible. It's a favorite feature from other MMOs and very useful to roleplayers. They work like this:

No target with "/wave" -- Animation plays and "Joe waves."

Targeting a player (Sue) with "/wave" -- Animation plays and "Joe waves to Sue."

Typing "/wave greets everyone enthusiastically." -- Animation plays but the text says "Joe greets everyone enthusiastically."

* When an emote is Legacy unlocked, automatically grant it to all existing and future characters. (Or at least give us some Claim All buttons in the Collections window.)

THE BUGGY --

* Several emotes have the looping icon even though they do not loop. For example, /flourish

* Looping emotes don't always play when clicked. They seem more likely to play after a non-looping emote.

* Emotes sometimes give the "This emote is restricted" message even when they're unlocked, and they don't play. Looping emotes seem more susceptible to this.

* Looping emotes don't stop when we click on another looping emote. (They will stop for movement and non-looping emotes.)

* The /search emote is under multiple categories and should not be in the Chairs & Sitting group.

* /Scanred and /Scangreen emotes don't show the scanner or light.

* /Datapad emote datapad is turned 90 degrees and has collision with the person's body.

* /Child emote only partially loops. The lights and sound go away while the body animation continues.

* Several emotes are marked as looping but do not loop, such as /bow, /bowformal, and /bowrespect.

* Targeting someone isn't changing the emote text. For example, /wave makes me wave to "everyone" even if I have my companion or another player targeted.

Edited by Xina_LA

* Looping emotes are sloppy. In most MMOs, a looping emote is one that continues the action, NOT one that simply triggers the same emote over and over. For example, /surrender makes you raise your hands, lower them, raise them again, lower them... etc. In other MMOs, you would raise your hands in surrender and keep them there until the emote ends.

CHAIR and SITTING emotes are a perfect example, as you sit and stay sitting, you don't sit, get up, sit, get up...

I'd like to see two different symbols, yeah. Maybe one like the refresh symbol for Chrome if it repeats endlessly, and the current symbol if it 'stays' indefinitely.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to everyone.

First of all I like the Emote Window, switching between them on the fly is a very nice feature,

but there is always a little bit of critique, sorry for that.

The window really is a little big.

I would love to have a stop button to individually end an emote (i.e. the bows).

Arms crossed should be infinite, follow me not, imo.

The suggestion with/for the little speaker symbol is dope and all the others too, of course.

And last but not least the evergreen: emotes usable on an actionbar, or an additional 4-5 Slot bar

for highlighted emotes.

But overall a very nice and useful feature.

Thx 4 that.

...tüdelü

• 1 month later...

I like the new emote box but as others have said, it is a bit too bulky. At least it's organized :D

There are still some emotes that need to be added which would add to the immersion of the game. I'm sure a lot have mentioned /crossarms being persistent, we really really really need a /lean (it better be free and not have to buy), we need to have options for /chair instead of having to buy the emotes that come with a magic chair that appears. Interactions to the environment will definitely add a bit more to the player experience.