PvP noob with lvl 10 character

funkiestj

I'm new to MMOs and PvP ...

I played a bit of PvP with my level 20 character before I decided to roll a new toon for PvP (leveling up in PvP then playing PvE missions is boring).

So, my question is not "how can I beat x y z" or "how can I level up quickly". Rather, I want to know what strategies I can employ as a lower level PvPer so that I contribute as much as possible to my team's effort to win.

Would these low level strategies vary by level bracket (e.g. 10-20 should employ tactic X & Y while 21-40 should do A, B & C)?

feel free to make war zone specific recommendations.

I'm thinking that for Alderaan, watching a secured gun, while boring is probably a good use of a level 10. If this is indeed good for the team, how does not getting in the action affect my XP and leveling?

thanks in advance,

--fj

If you're going dedicated healer you'll always be useful in wz's, there's not enough around. Even level 10 you'll be able to spam your main heal on everyone, then 12 you get the big heal, then 14 you get force armor (best "heal" of them all).

Level 21 things will get a bit easier for you when you get rejuvenate.

Just remember you will be super squishy so hang back at max range behind your team and heal them, keep their bubbles up etc.

Your strength as a healer is sticking with your teammates.

Edited by Evuke

If you are a class with healing abilities, that is probably the most helpful to the team at low levels until you can pump out damage. As far as being as useful as possible other than that, be the guy that watches the doors in Voidstar, or watches the Turret nodes in Civil War to keep the enemy off of them. In Huttball, heal/put guard on the ball carrier, get open down field for a pass.

If you're low level is a healing class stick with the zerg in all three warzones.

Hutball: Try as best as you can to support ball carrier and team members supporting ball carrier.

Alderaan: Go with zerg you will be more beneficial - but what you can also do is identify the team mate who's defending a node - don't wait for him to call inc as in pugs it often doesn't happen, instead keep an eye on his health/force/heat etc... if it starts changing you know he's in the shizzle (same can be applied to voidstar).

If you're a tanky or stealther suck it up and defend a node. You will be more beneficial with fast incs and you'll allow the higher levels to do the pew more effectively. I would not recommend defending a node/door as a low level healer, if you get hit by a stealther you will be dead by the time you call an INC to your location. They'll cap and you will be whined at for not calling inc sooner (even though it wasn't your fault).

And for my personal opinion - good pvpers do not care about medals/mvps, I mean you level up fast anyway so whats an extra 50 valour or so. Secure the WIN is priority number one, keep that in focus and you'll be noticed by your faction and valour will come quickly to you.

Edited by Nihilistik

It really don't matter what you try to contribute as a level 10 really because you are always going to have some level 49 in your face and most likely the same one thoughout a match that every time you spawn will immediately be there. As soon as you are gone they will move to the next lowest level that they can easily stomp, rinse and repeat. Maybe this is just my experience but it seems real common.

Alot can depend on your class as well but the best thing I have found is for the brief seconds you are left alone throw a bit of damage in and hope for the best.

10-49 to me just seems like death match as opposed to objectives anyway but maybe that has to do with playing in the 50 bracket where people want to win more than farm medals.

It really don't matter what you try to contribute as a level 10 really because you are always going to have some level 49 in your face and most likely the same one thoughout a match that every time you spawn will immediately be there. As soon as you are gone they will move to the next lowest level that they can easily stomp, rinse and repeat. Maybe this is just my experience but it seems real common.

Alot can depend on your class as well but the best thing I have found is for the brief seconds you are left alone throw a bit of damage in and hope for the best.

10-49 to me just seems like death match as opposed to objectives anyway but maybe that has to do with playing in the 50 bracket where people want to win more than farm medals.

Totally disagree mate.

If you're a low level stealther you can stay in stealth and stop them capping like a hero.

If you're a low level healer you might just give that dude enough heals to get him over line as he's white bar'd.

If you're tanky you can be like that bad penny and keep coming back to bug their healers or w/e.

I'd take a lowbie any day over a level 49 who can't be arsed to even try.

You know, thats why i like the 10-49 bracket: even the lowbies can give a hard time and kill high lvl ppl.

It all depends on intelligence and oportunity, rather than trusting in your level.

Level doesnt mean **** if the guy sucks as a pvp player; i rather play with a lowbie who actualy knows what he´s doing..

What most people over look is that in the level 10 to 49 bracket stats are bolstered. His stats on what skills he does posses are the same as everyone else. His disadvantage comes from lack of gear and the number of spells.

As the others have said, if you are a healer glue yourself to the zerg and in Huttball the carrier. Even your basic heals will have level 49 stats and make a difference, if you are stealth protect nodes and just be a general pain in the *** and keep people from capping. If it is Hutt snare up the opposing ball carrier as much as possible.

What most people over look is that in the level 10 to 49 bracket stats are bolstered. His stats on what skills he does posses are the same as everyone else. His disadvantage comes from lack of gear and the number of spells.

As the others have said, if you are a healer glue yourself to the zerg and in Huttball the carrier. Even your basic heals will have level 49 stats and make a difference, if you are stealth protect nodes and just be a general pain in the *** and keep people from capping. If it is Hutt snare up the opposing ball carrier as much as possible.

Actually at level 10 his "lack of gear" is one of his biggest advantages. Lacking spells and talents is what hurts. At level 10 his gear is so close to his level that his bolster will do AMAZING things. He'll hit harder, have more health, mitigate more, and heal better than level 40s (if we don't count talents).

A level 10 player guarding with someone else is a good strategy. Expect to die and do not wait until after you're dead to report incoming players, even if making that reports means you die.

To deal with the level 49 who does their best to stick to offing lower level characters use your CC and duck behind team mates.

Finally, do not play for medals or DPS scores or healing scores. Instead play for effect, even if you don't end up getting as much valor for it as you could. A low level smuggler can ruin up to 4 or 5 players' days if they throw their flash bang at the right time. If you use abilities to bolster, heal, or protect someone who is a healer or heavy duty DPSer you may or may not look like you did anything on the score board, but you will help achieve a win regardless. If you're a DPSer peel people off of heals or main DPS. You'll probably die in 5 hits or less, but those 5 hits got used on you and not someone else. Essentially, as a low level player in PvP matches, the emphasis is on team work above all else.

Edited by RobNightfall

Actually at level 10 his "lack of gear" is one of his biggest advantages. Lacking spells and talents is what hurts. At level 10 his gear is so close to his level that his bolster will do AMAZING things. He'll hit harder, have more health, mitigate more, and heal better than level 40s (if we don't count talents).

I suppose I should clarify, the lack of gear not stat wise, but in number. Not many level 10s have implants, ear piece, etc. That is where I was going with it.

... for all the interesting advice.

Yes, I'm doing a sage/healer PvP build. I look forward to trying your suggestions this weekend. I'll report back my impressions.

Yes, I'm more interested in helping the team than in leveling ASAP, although I realize leveling will help future teams.

I want teammates to say "wow, I can't believe we won with a level 10 and ... against that other team"

What is this?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-Y9jcUBqPPiPrUjoPghunr5aT7eadl4EVUdb7RcqgG1GMG9YISTszKRolVw

Edited by funkiestj

I suppose I should clarify, the lack of gear not stat wise, but in number. Not many level 10s have implants, ear piece, etc. That is where I was going with it.
That actually doesn't matter all that much as the lower level you are, the more you are bolstered and the less you are reliant on gear.

In fact one of the more fun things to do at level 10 once you've zoned into the WZ is to just take off all of your gear (bar weapon obviously) and just spend the entire time naked. The only stats you'll lose are the little stats you have on your level 10 gear which is tiny.

No, just no.

Do not sign for warzones on 10 lvl - you will be the reason your team loses the match.

Moreover, prepare to learn all about your stupidity in ops chat.

I've made it a goal of mine to cap in Huttball before I get sprint with every single character I play. I've suceeded pretty easily actually. It's even better when you do it (as above) naked. Edited by Khabarach

No, just no.

Do not sign for warzones on 10 lvl - you will be the reason your team loses the match.

It should be obvious from the wording of the OP that I realize I'm a detriment to the team.

while I have a certain level of altruism, it does not extend to "not playing an aspect of a game the rules allow me to play because it will make some other folks grumpy"

Moreover, prepare to learn all about your stupidity in ops chat.

too bad for them because I have thick skin. Their time would be better spent asking the developers to fix the problem (e.g. level brackets for WZs or some other technical solution that does not rely on giving someone the right to play PvP and then asking them not to excercise this right).

Thanks for the warning though!

Beginner's both joining and then staying with the game for a while are the life blood of any MMO. Try to be part of the solution of making SWTOR better -- stick up for and help noobs that you see getting abuse in PvP chat.

It depends from your class. I queued as a level 10 smuggler (yeah, smuggler) and just hid in cover, spamming power shots at players. You wear them down fast. If they target you, you're dead, but no big deal. Just find a hard to reach spot and continue to damage them.