"Mandalorian Fist" 21/23/2 PvP Tank/DPS Hybrid

dijskykiller

I created this spec based on the old tank/dps hybrid of Taugrim, “Iron Fist” (25/14/2), which is focused entirely on pvp. What makes this spec different is it spends more points in AP tree to gain more dps power from PFT with good AoE capability from Oil Slick and free Flame Sweeps.

*Updated the spec by taking 1 point from iron fist and 1 point from hamstring to flame surge. This solves the heat problem of the spec now.

23/22/1

Mandalorian Fist

Basic single target rotation:

JC>RB>RS>FB>FSx2>PFT>RP(if flame barrage procs)

Basic AoE rotation: (with Oil Slick)

JC>FB>FSx2>PFT>DFA

*Always use guard on a focused teammate after Jet Charge before going to the rotation.

This spec’s strength is mitigation and AoE. It focuses on two 2% mitigation talents, 3% mitigation from rebraced armor, and 5% mitigation from IGC in a total of 12% damage reduction against all damage types, plus the 5% damage debuff from combust with PFT and free FS to spread the pressure among multiple targets.

This spec is designed for close-quarters combat gameplay and excells in the thick of things. You can dps, tank, shutdown casters and healers, while retaining guard, charge, and debuff capability.

It is really effective for me in pvp. The new oil slick brings huge team utility. In Voidstar offense, you can use it to slow the other team while rushing to the end point. In huttball, you can place it easily near pits to slow the ball carrier and buy more time for your team. In Ancient Hypergates, you can easily place it on the other team’s door and slow them while your team gather all nodes and gain advantage. Its ability to slow and get people stuck in its big radius makes it a good addition for PTs, with the bonus of accuracy debuff. Furthermore, it also synergizes beautifully with Prototype Flame Thrower and Death From Above making AoEs easy to plant.

It is much effective now to play a PT objectively with the availability of CC’s, mobility, and durability while maintaining good dps.

Heat management is no longer a problem now with the addition of flame surge. Using free RP and FS wisely, planning heat build-up right while setting up PFT, and maximizing Thermal Sensor Overrides are all important to avoid overheating.

At lv55 dps pvp gear, I was currently running at 26.57 – 28.57% damage reduction depending if it’s pyro or AP. With this spec I’m sitting at 48.11% and will be bolstered up to 50% inside a warzone. 50% mitigation in dps gear is a big thing and is the main reason this spec works. The increased survivability contributes with sustained damage and pressure.

Gearing requires a 4pc Combat Tech or 4 pc Supercommando set with dps mods, enh, and augments. The 15% shield chance buff from IGC is so much worth taking advantage of by using a Supercommando shield offhand secondary to the improvement with shielding mechanic and to benefit from shield vents.

Due to lack of time, I have not tried this spec yet for rateds. Will update soon.

Screenshots:

Novare Coast 900k dam + 200k prot

Voidstar 600k dam + 300k prot

Voidstar 600k dam + 500k prot

Edited by dijskykiller
Redistribution of talent points - will be permanent

i have to say that i am not a fan of tank hybrids on PT...

you can do all, yet you can barely do anything but play the objectives:

1.you have moderate to good survavibility - but you lack alot in comparison to full tank tree - heat shield, heat blast, heals from shoulder cannon, skipped defensive passives. having oil slick is fun, but thats still far from making this build great.

2. you have moderate to low dmg - ok having PFT is nice BUT its a very situational skill, you run ion cylinder which reduces you dmg alot in comparison to other cylinders and besides PFT you basically got nothing, RS is is neither critting, nor proccing, no immolate, no 7stacked shoulder cannon.

considering dps you just run around doing Retractable blade+flameburst spam? RS on cooldown without buffs? and flamethrower which is easily avoidable.

3. burst? im sorry, what? where? uhm, no.

4. you have a skill that makes Rocket punch use no heat IF you use immolate, yet you have no immolate...

no ablative upgrades, no hydraulic shielding - the defensive power of a PT is his SHIELD, thats why the tank tree is called SHIELDtech, and yet you did not take skills improving it.

wanna do hybrid? go pyro - its a most hybridable tree for PT. get either oil slick + some defence passives with pyro or just basic dps pyro/AP hybrid.

Edited by quirez

1.you have moderate to good survavibility - but you lack alot in comparison to full tank tree - heat shield, heat blast, heals from shoulder cannon, skipped defensive passives. having oil slick is fun, but thats still far from making this build great.

Like I've said, this spec is not a full tank nor full dps. Gearing for this spec is dps, so we don't need the talents beyond jet charge. We're only after the mitigation talents on the shield tree.

2. you have moderate to low dmg - ok having PFT is nice BUT its a very situational skill, you run ion cylinder which reduces you dmg alot in comparison to other cylinders and besides PFT you basically got nothing, RS is is neither critting, nor proccing, no immolate, no 7stacked shoulder cannon.

considering dps you just run around doing Retractable blade+flameburst spam? RS on cooldown without buffs? and flamethrower which is easily avoidable.

Again, this is not a full dps spec. It is designed to control, pressure, shutdown casters with its mobility, CC-capability, and survivability. IGC is a tanking tree, but this spec still brings good numbers, even at top of dps on most regular warzones with good protection. I will try to post some videos if time permits it.

3. burst? im sorry, what? where? uhm, no.

I did not say anything about burst. Our class has so much to give, not just burst.

4. you have a skill that makes Rocket punch use no heat IF you use immolate, yet you have no immolate...

no ablative upgrades, no hydraulic shielding - the defensive power of a PT is his SHIELD, thats why the tank tree is called SHIELDtech, and yet you did not take skills improving it.

Like I said, not a full tanking spec. We only focused on mitigation (damage reduction) talents, but still using a tanking offhand to leverage the 15% shield buff from IGC. It's definitely worth getting now than before with "Iron Fist" due to the buff with shield stat.

wanna do hybrid? go pyro - its a most hybridable tree for PT. get either oil slick + some defence passives with pyro or just basic dps pyro/AP hybrid.

Going pyro means taking CGC, which is not the goal of this spec. You must have not heard of "Iron Fist" at the earlier stages of this game. It's completely viable and It works. You can google it for more information.

A lot of PT players only focus on damage numbers, which is very superficial. This spec does not follow that path, it plays more like an immortal tank with dps gear and tank offhand. It's built for objective gameplay, which is important for winning pvp matches.

Edited by dijskykiller

Again, this is not a full dps spec. It is designed to control, pressure, shutdown casters with its mobility, CC-capability, and survivability. IGC is a tanking tree, but this spec still brings good numbers, even at top of dps on most regular warzones with good protection. I will try to post some videos if time permits it.

control them with what? oil slick alone?

1. slows and stuns - you got no flame sweep slow, no ion gas cylinder slow. ok you took the RB slow but thats not enough. no stun cooldown reduce taken.

2. movement and mobility- no speed on jet charge, no speed from AP cylinder, no increased time for hydraulic overrides

3. having grapple improving skills taken is a standart for any pvp-tank build, i dont see why making hybrid out of it makes it any good

"designed to pressure and shutdown casters with mobility and survavibility" - seriously, care to elaborate on that i just really dont get what does that mean - you wanna run around them to confuse them, or make them laugh at you? and you dont really have that much survavibility either.

"bringin good numbers? topping dps charts?" with what, may i ask again? PFT alone? you really dont have anything besides it in your build. if you top dps charts with PFT than i doubt your opponents in WZ are old enough to purchase their own beer... even if you do put good numbers its a fluff aoe dmg from flame thrower and death from above, or simply a gear gap - becouse any dps spec SHOULD do much more

Gearing for this spec is dps, so we don't need the talents beyond jet charge.

so you go high up tank tree while gearing for dps (but you take shield offhand and use ion gas cylinder) and only taking jet charge? it could've work in 1.7 or before, but i really doubt it works now...

I did not say anything about burst. Our class has so much to give, not just burst.

and you want to pressure all those people with what? do you even plan to kill people with this spec? or just pressure them with no dmg and control them with no slows/stuns?

A lot of PT players only focus on damage numbers, which is very superficial. This spec does not follow that path, it plays more like an immortal tank with dps gear and tank offhand. It's built for objective gameplay, which is important for winning pvp matches.

playing a tank in dps gear is soooo 1.7ish - want to tank and support objectives and healers - go make a full tank, they are great nowadays. there is NOTHING this build can do that a full tank wouldnt do better (even dps probably due to better heat management, spamming flamesweep and flame engine skill)

also if you want a survivable and mobile huttball build check out this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=629455

PS. sorry if i sound too harsh here or there ;P

I understand where you're coming from. This spec has no burst and not designed for 1v1 combat, i give you that. Its survivability is actually good for a hybrid. It also has better damage than full ST because of PFT, though ST has better heat management. I would suggest you give it a try for a couple of games because it is working for me. I was also thinking if dropping 2 points off PFT would be a good idea to maximize resource. Edited by dijskykiller

1. slows and stuns - you got no flame sweep slow, no ion gas cylinder slow. ok you took the RB slow but thats not enough. no stun cooldown reduce taken.

2. movement and mobility- no speed on jet charge, no speed from AP cylinder, no increased time for hydraulic overrides

3. having grapple improving skills taken is a standart for any pvp-tank build, i dont see why making hybrid out of it makes it any good

I actually consider picking up the 2 free stacks of FS. Picking up the FS slow would be detrimental for the build as i will skip better talents for it. As for stun CD, it is a situational talent that is not supposed to be abused whenever it's up. The shortened quell is more favorable because it's a more on demand ability.

Jet charge and HO already provides us with good mobility, so those points are better invested somewhere else.

Edited by dijskykiller

I understand where you're coming from. This spec has no burst and not designed for 1v1 combat, i give you that. Its survivability is actually good for a hybrid. It also has better damage than full ST because of PFT, though ST has better heat management. I would suggest you give it a try for a couple of games because it is working for me. I was also thinking if dropping 2 points off PFT would be a good idea to maximize resource.

its not for 1vs1 and has no burst + the only skill that makes it stronger in the dps department than the full tank build is a very situational and easily avoidable conal aoe. PFT + DOA are great for putting high numbers, but they are rarely killing any1 - we can see it on the screens you provided - that novare must have lasted 30 minutes or something + there is about 3m+ healing on your opponents side, little numbers of deaths/kills on each side.

voidstar - you put a nice portion of dmg in there BUT 18 kills? again we can say that was fluff aoe, and while i admit in voidstar its whats needed (doa on the doors, Flame thrower while standing near doors is good and important in voidstar) every basic powertech build can do it, and can do it better.

the screens probably prove that you are a skilled player, but they do not make the build look better in my opinion.

I actually consider picking up the 2 free stacks of FS. Picking up the FS slow would be detrimental for the build as i will skip better talents for it. As for stun CD, it is a situational talent that is not supposed to be abused whenever it's up. The shortened quell is more favorable because it's a more on demand ability.

Jet charge and HO already provides us with good mobility, so those points are better invested somewhere else.

i know you couldnt take both FS slow and PFT, too few talent points to do that but if you want some control and cc's like you said before than i think FS slow >> fluff PFT dmg (again i know PFT is great, but ALONE it doesnt change anything).

i agree shortened quell is a must in pvp, id gladly see it in my full tank build.

having jet charge + HO is good mobility? yeah but EVERY tank has it, and you can spec into sooooo much more with tank for huttball if you take those speeds and longer HO and other movement improving stuff.

i do believe you make this build work, but i find it strongly inferior to any full tank build.

its not for 1vs1 and has no burst + the only skill that makes it stronger in the dps department than the full tank build is a very situational and easily avoidable conal aoe. PFT + DOA are great for putting high numbers, but they are rarely killing any1 - we can see it on the screens you provided - that novare must have lasted 30 minutes or something + there is about 3m+ healing on your opponents side, little numbers of deaths/kills on each side.

Yah, there was 3 healers on each team on that game. I was guarding the south node and we were winning at the last minutes, before somebody on our team got disconnected. That explains the 4% to 0 score.

voidstar - you put a nice portion of dmg in there BUT 18 kills? again we can say that was fluff aoe, and while i admit in voidstar its whats needed (doa on the doors, Flame thrower while standing near doors is good and important in voidstar) every basic powertech build can do it, and can do it better.

We were on a disadvantage on that match because we faced an experienced pre-made. Though if you will check, I still got the highest kill number on my team. Also, some of my teammates could have done a better job with their dps.

having jet charge + HO is good mobility? yeah but EVERY tank has it, and you can spec into sooooo much more with tank for huttball if you take those speeds and longer HO and other movement improving stuff.

I prefer to make it more applicable to all warzones, and not just focus on huttball. I actually tried a mobility spec before just like what you're saying. It is really effective in that wz, however i don't find the benefit of it in other maps.

i do believe you make this build work, but i find it strongly inferior to any full tank build.

In terms of survivability, yes, full tank will always be superior. What this build brings is better damage in a tanking stance and getting all talents that beefs-up mitigation.

I think i would stick with PFT as it delivers good AoE damage and snare too as compared to Flame Sweep's slow and low damage. The only reason I picked-up flame surge is to help build up PFT and manage heat.

Edited by dijskykiller

I can understand why you're defending your build.

Problem is that hybrids are all terrible at the moment, and it's time to admit that you've made yet another bad spec with a cute forum name for some kind of 'cred'.

In the end, it's more likely that you're just a really good player who would do even better with a dedicated shield, AP, or pyro. Maybe this suits your play style better, but it probably won't for anyone else.

In the end, it's more likely that you're just a really good player who would do even better with a dedicated shield, AP, or pyro. Maybe this suits your play style better, but it probably won't for anyone else.

I would not deny, i do better with the other two dps specs. And I only run full ST on PvE. You are right, it is a personal preference. I have always loved to run a tanky dps in PvP with the ability to protect allies and do damage, as long as it works. I agree that most hybrids are inferior to full specs, but sometimes playing a hybrid spec is better because it provides more versatility to the team.

Edited by dijskykiller

• 2 weeks later...

Again with the cute little names. Good god.

Stop hybriding the powertech, it's not a class that's meant to hybrid anymore, the nerf made damn well sure of that. You're not useful to any wz as a hybrid tank pt. you're like two halves of a person. Two halves that don't perform as well as a whole one could. you just want protection medals in wz's.

Only acceptable time to hybrid is huttball, because of our lack of mobility, jet charge is useful. Any other time, you're just wasting space.

Again with the cute little names. Good god.

Stop hybriding the powertech, it's not a class that's meant to hybrid anymore, the nerf made damn well sure of that. You're not useful to any wz as a hybrid tank pt. you're like two halves of a person. Two halves that don't perform as well as a whole one could. you just want protection medals in wz's.

Only acceptable time to hybrid is huttball, because of our lack of mobility, jet charge is useful. Any other time, you're just wasting space.

You surely don't expect a hybrid to be better than a full spec at its role. The idea of hybriding is getting the goodies to run a viable spec that has synergy with its talent skills.

Protection medals are easy to get with taunts. So that is not the point of speccing to IGC.

I have done extensive testing with this spec and would therefore conclude that it is not viable in rateds. On the other hand, It will still continue to be viable solo running or with pre-made teams in regular WZs.

I currently run full ST now as it also covers higher level of play and will not be updating this spec anymore.

• 2 months later...
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc/#301hRu0zZrsrrobRRzGr.3

my friend plays something like that in ion cell. tankier and more damage.

It is way more tankier i believe. However, not picking-up jet charge and flame surge will give you heat problems than my spec if you want to maximize the use of PFT. Flame surge is important in my hybrid to get the 2 stacks of PFT without even producing any heat. Mine has more mobility too due to a gap closer with increased up-time of guarding and dealing damage.

• 2 weeks later...

So while I've always enjoyed playing powertech DPS/Tank hybrids in PVP, I can't argue with the theme that they are all suboptimal compared to full specs in current warzones.

HOWEVER, I am thinking that the revelation yesterday about solo queue ranked arenas might finally resurrect the usefulness of this type of spec. Of course, this might also be crazy for some reason I haven't thought about.

The twist in this idea vs. the OP's Mandalorian Fist build is that you actually try to make the hybrid as tanky as possible with great utility, using tank gear instead of DPS gear (for the most part), but making sure to have a 23/23/0 build. You get a very solid, but suboptimal, tank with enhanced utility and better DPS than a full-specced tank. The key to this is that by entering the solo queue ranked arenas, you get offset by a DPS instead of a tank on the other team (with a 23/23/0 build, DPS is the default role for queuing). Ideally, as a very serviceable tank you get to keep your healer alive long enough to allow your two DPS enough time to kill their healer that doesn't have a tank to guard them. Even in other group compositions (no healers or extra tank on each side), I would think that having a tank advantage vs. the other team would generally be a benefit in TDM.

So here's the build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMrdMRoMZrsbrobRR.3

Downsides vs. full tank build: No heat screen/blast, no shoulder cannon heal, no enhanced kolto overload, no 4% defense, no flame sweep slow and no jet charge speed boost

Benefits vs. full tank build: Short stun cooldown, short interrupt cooldown, PFT, RB and numerous other DPS improvements

Spec options: Can choose between longer hydraulic overrides or RB slow (this is the one point I am not sold on). If heat management and/or aoe become less important in arenas and movement/kiting become more important, you could also swap Flame Surge for Jet Speed. Also, we might have the option of swapping into DPS gear if the situation calls for it, and I wouldn't be shocked if the DPS is competitive in TDM arenas even though the burst is poor. Lastly, perhaps even taking pneumatic boots might make sense so you could switch into HEG cylinder mid-match for a speed boost in certain situations (think about the ability to kite with jet speed, torque boosters and pneumatic boots!).

So I am fascinated by the potential of this build. I'm very interested to hear if people see a major flaw that I haven't thought of, or if I might really have something here (that can probably be improved with suggestions).

It's a bit of a non-sequitor since it applies to all powertechs, but I am also excited about the increased usefulness of stealth scan since all I hear about is how arenas are going to be filled with all-stealth groups. Overall, I hoping for the resurgence of Powertechs for PVP in 2.4, vindicating all of us die-hards that stuck through the hard times.

So while I've always enjoyed playing powertech DPS/Tank hybrids in PVP, I can't argue with the theme that they are all suboptimal compared to full specs in current warzones.

HOWEVER, I am thinking that the revelation yesterday about solo queue ranked arenas might finally resurrect the usefulness of this type of spec. Of course, this might also be crazy for some reason I haven't thought about.

The twist in this idea vs. the OP's Mandalorian Fist build is that you actually try to make the hybrid as tanky as possible with great utility, using tank gear instead of DPS gear (for the most part), but making sure to have a 23/23/0 build. You get a very solid, but suboptimal, tank with enhanced utility and better DPS than a full-specced tank. The key to this is that by entering the solo queue ranked arenas, you get offset by a DPS instead of a tank on the other team (with a 23/23/0 build, DPS is the default role for queuing). Ideally, as a very serviceable tank you get to keep your healer alive long enough to allow your two DPS enough time to kill their healer that doesn't have a tank to guard them. Even in other group compositions (no healers or extra tank on each side), I would think that having a tank advantage vs. the other team would generally be a benefit in TDM.

So here's the build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMrdMRoMZrsbrobRR.3

Downsides vs. full tank build: No heat screen/blast, no shoulder cannon heal, no enhanced kolto overload, no 4% defense, no flame sweep slow and no jet charge speed boost

Benefits vs. full tank build: Short stun cooldown, short interrupt cooldown, PFT, RB and numerous other DPS improvements

Spec options: Can choose between longer hydraulic overrides or RB slow (this is the one point I am not sold on). If heat management and/or aoe become less important in arenas and movement/kiting become more important, you could also swap Flame Surge for Jet Speed. Also, we might have the option of swapping into DPS gear if the situation calls for it, and I wouldn't be shocked if the DPS is competitive in TDM arenas even though the burst is poor. Lastly, perhaps even taking pneumatic boots might make sense so you could switch into HEG cylinder mid-match for a speed boost in certain situations (think about the ability to kite with jet speed, torque boosters and pneumatic boots!).

So I am fascinated by the potential of this build. I'm very interested to hear if people see a major flaw that I haven't thought of, or if I might really have something here (that can probably be improved with suggestions).

It's a bit of a non-sequitor since it applies to all powertechs, but I am also excited about the increased usefulness of stealth scan since all I hear about is how arenas are going to be filled with all-stealth groups. Overall, I hoping for the resurgence of Powertechs for PVP in 2.4, vindicating all of us die-hards that stuck through the hard times.

I ran this 23/23/0 variance of this spec too. Same with the spec you posted, but i moved 1 point from hydraulic shield to supercharged ion gas as we won't be running this spec with heavy shield stat and the aoe slow looks better for team-play for me. I also dropped blood tracker for hot iron because i don't want to be stuck opening with RB all the time since the bread and butter of this spec is revolving in PFT, we will spend more time flame bursting and sweeping. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by dijskykiller

Thanks Sef! I love the suggested changes and will adopt them myself. This also supports my decision to take torque boosters over hamstring. Even though I was planning to have a shield heavy gear set (per your guide, prioritizing END > SHD > ABS > DEF), you are still right that we'll rarely have time to fit in extra RPs in between PFTs. Would you think it preferable to use a DPS gear set (with a shield offhand) to a tank set in solo queue ranked arenas, or did I misinterpret your comment?

Also, if you are already cutting out blood tracker, do you think there is any sense to cut retractable blade entirely and put those points into pneumatic boots? Would the occasional/situational utility of a 15% speed boost and a 5% elemental damage boost by switching cylinders offset the loss of RB that you'll rarely use anyway?

Thanks Sef! I love the suggested changes and will adopt them myself. This also supports my decision to take torque boosters over hamstring. Even though I was planning to have a shield heavy gear set (per your guide, prioritizing END > SHD > ABS > DEF), you are still right that we'll rarely have time to fit in extra RPs in between PFTs. Would you think it preferable to use a DPS gear set (with a shield offhand) to a tank set in solo queue ranked arenas, or did I misinterpret your comment?

Also, if you are already cutting out blood tracker, do you think there is any sense to cut retractable blade entirely and put those points into pneumatic boots? Would the occasional/situational utility of a 15% speed boost and a 5% elemental damage boost by switching cylinders offset the loss of RB that you'll rarely use anyway?

For solo queueing, i would recommend stacking end with power mods. For enhancements the reactive enhs look interesting to me, but i still need to test in the PTS if a dps or a tank gear is better. It will require a good balance of tanking and dps stats imo. It is much easier to gear though if you run in a pre-made group.

I would not recommend taking HEGC talents as you will waste points when running IGC. it will still be useful opener for RS in melee range and applying dots to put pressure on healers. Stance dancing is not for us PTs. The run speed in HEGC is overrated and you won't really have heat problems as long as you pick-up flame surge.

Edited by dijskykiller