Why BioWare have you killed me?!?!?

Cryptiic

Patch 1.2 has made Commandos the crappiest healers in the game and our lack of utility is horrific. We do ok damage but nothing near what other classes are doing because the channeled AOE's we have hit small areas (nothing like smugglers or sorcerers). You give us this big sweet looking autocannon and I feel like I'm shooting with a cap gun. My War-Hero weapon should hit much harder. And because I'm so squishy (no absoption shield like slingers/snipers/sorcerers/sages) so we are reduced to running around corners constantly in order to use our crappy heals to maybe get back to half health before the enemy is all over us again. Oh and lets make it so melee players can be immune to my knockback which already has an insanely long cooldown. Sentinals should not be 4 shotting a heavy armor'd trooper. If you are going to let powertech spam elemental attacks with no cooldown then at least give me no cooldown or a talent to make Field Aid have no cooldown. Your changes to my class make them almost useless in a PVP setting. It makes me sad.

Unfortunately. that's just how this game works right now. There appears to be a fairly large DPS disparity between classes and healing in general is fairly undervalued. The bottom line is, balance in this game is quite out of whack, which, to be fair, isn't entirely unexpected. It is a fairly new game after all and it will take time to sort out.

The only real problem is both the game developers and a large portion of the community (who, coincidentally, play certain DPS classes :p) refuse to acknowledge this fact... a fact on which many, many people have commented or written blog posts. The flaws in this game are well documented and well explained. Until there's a desire to see the game balanced, you'll probably have to change something on your own...

If you're a DPS who is not one of the higher end DPS classes, there's not much you can do. Hang in there and wait for balance changes, or reroll. The levelling PvP experience in this game was done very well... from 10-49 everybody on the same playing field stat-wise. From about 25-49 most classes have a good enough skill set to be considered fairly even. Try something new and you'll probably have a good time. This will give you something to do while things are evened out.

If you're a healer, you can either reroll DPS until healing is in a better position or you can find a few friends (one pretty much has to be a tank) and queue with them. If you've got people looking out for you, things get a little better as a healer. Your heals still won't really keep up with focused DPS and you'll still find yourself kiting damn near everything (if you can) but with a more coordinated effort you'll find yourself contributing. The guard alone makes the difference between dying in a 4s stun and living with 20% health, allowing you to hopefully run away and heal back up. You'll still feel like you're not being very effective, but it's a lot better than feeling worthless :)

If neither of those appeal to you, cancel your sub and check back in a few months. Either the devs will wake up and balance the game a bit better, or they'll stick to their guns that this game should be a rapid-fire burst race... but by then hopefully a game that's more appealing to your tastes will be out. To be fair, not every game is going to be the same and if SWTOR isn't what you want, check out something else.

Good luck!

healing is not really in a bad position. I honestly feel its in alright position, scoundrels/operatives are now top healers.

its still like before tbh - if your team has 1-2 healers, opposing none, then you have more chance to win, but it doesnt guarantee win.

and i also do feel that balance here is difficult subject, can't talk about balance when i see marauders and PT dealing their massive burst damage in several seconds

When healer survivability was questioned. All dps. Replied "find a tank, get guarded, make friends or play dps" since it appears EA/Bioware thinks healers are balanced due to their spreadsheet numbers it seems your wrong and need to L2P? Not that i agree but that seems to be the general thought.

I actually like that healers are killable unlike other games where 2-3 dps can be on them and healer still lives for a while or just doesn't die.

Don't get me wrong, I know mercs/commandos have issues and I hope they're addressed. Both their DPS and heal specs are weak at the moment.

But I am glad healers are not godmode like other games.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have seen sages put up HUGE healing number 700k + in a warzone and I am lucky to break 200k heals on my trooper. Our AOE heal Kolto Bomb just isn't cutting it. Give us an absorb shield like sages with a short cool down and we might be able to live longer than 4 seconds. I have seen sages in full recruit gear hold off 3 attackers for a full min and end the match with 400k heals. I run around pillars screaming like a little girl hitting every instant (low numbers) heal I got just to live 20 seconds longer. Against a Powertech I don't even try to burn cooldowns or cleanse anymore. Once I'm slowed and dotted I'm dead, end of story. We just don't have enough tricks in our bag to survive in PVP and our heals just don't heal enough or don't activate fast enough even in full medic gear.

So yeah, I had to switch back to dps (or level another toon and begin the long grind to full war-hero which puts me way behind the power curve for rated WZs).

I regularly get between 500k - 600k healing done in the warzones. This is with 5 pieces of war hero and rest battlemaster. I manage to keep myself up and when I need dps peeled off me I rely on my allies and CC. Can't say I have a problem with commando healing right now. It did however feel weak in recruit gear but thats what you expect at entry level gear.

I regularly get between 500k - 600k healing done in the warzones. This is with 5 pieces of war hero and rest battlemaster. I manage to keep myself up and when I need dps peeled off me I rely on my allies and CC. Can't say I have a problem with commando healing right now. It did however feel weak in recruit gear but thats what you expect at entry level gear.

Well I would love to get your rotations and build. Any help to maximize my healing would be great. I'm only 4 pieces of WH gear (gun, 2 implants, Helmet) and the rest of my shells with BM mods and AIM augs. So maybe that would make a big difference. I almost never have a guard on me as my 2 buddies are dpsers. I have had one Voidstar that I healed for 380k but I had no deaths. It is rare for me to break 200k in most WZs though. Should I be using adrenals to improve my heals? not sure if that makes a big difference or not but I guess I could respec to biochem.

sounds like you are just crap at your class. their heals are amazing when used right. healing needs a stacking nerf just like dot and debuff have. you don't need a boost. just l2p

ROFL roll a trooper healer then you can talk smack. We don't even come close to the 600K - 700K that sorc's and sages are dropping. You're just trying to be rude.

I did pick up a couple more pieces of WH and I am breaking 250K per match a lot more often but still nowhere near other healing classes. I look forward to seeing what full WH set does.

Mercenary healers are good in my opinion. Hard to keep interrupted, unlike Sorcerers, a quick AoE heal, I have a harder time beating them down than I do Sorcerer, and Operative is even harder

Agree w/ this. Mercenaries aren't as squishy and have good 1 target heals, in some scenarios they can be the best healer to have.

• 5 months later...

Thought I would come post an update. Now full WH I still don't see the kind of heals other classes are posting for match totals. Scoundrels and Sages are still posting consistantly, even on players with partial WH, 300k-700k heals. I've seen a few sages on our server put out over 1 mil in heals. Commandos just don't put up those numbers. With the new stun bubble hybrid sages/sorcs they heal for a lot more even as a hybrid with more utility. Our heavy armor helps against white damage players (weapon dmg) but not against force and tech which is what most PVPers run with. Elemental dmg of powertechs is still WAY overpowered. There is just no mitigation against it. Armor means nothing against elemental attacks. When a powertech in recruit gear can 3 shot a full WH healer something is very very wrong. So in short: commando healers are still gimped. We have half the utility and half the healing output. Give our kolto bomb a longer cooldown but add a nice heal over time effect like the scoundrels have and we might survive a few seconds longer.

my numbers:

Crit Chance Ranged 35%,

Crit Chance Tech 40% (with talents),

Surge 76%,

Bonus Healing 639.5,

Activation Speed (From Alacrity) 13.78,

I've been thinking about swapping out half my Aim/End Augs for Power/Defense. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Edited by Cryptiic

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have seen sages put up HUGE healing number 700k + in a warzone and I am lucky to break 200k heals on my trooper. Our AOE heal Kolto Bomb just isn't cutting it. Give us an absorb shield like sages with a short cool down and we might be able to live longer than 4 seconds. I have seen sages in full recruit gear hold off 3 attackers for a full min and end the match with 400k heals. I run around pillars screaming like a little girl hitting every instant (low numbers) heal I got just to live 20 seconds longer. Against a Powertech I don't even try to burn cooldowns or cleanse anymore. Once I'm slowed and dotted I'm dead, end of story. We just don't have enough tricks in our bag to survive in PVP and our heals just don't heal enough or don't activate fast enough even in full medic gear.

So yeah, I had to switch back to dps (or level another toon and begin the long grind to full war-hero which puts me way behind the power curve for rated WZs).

Its not a fair comparison because of the AOE heals the sages can throw out. I think Mercs/Troopers do need a buff. Not to the 1.2 level but a nice balance. I wouldn't mind if they changed the bounty hunter (since i don't have a trooper) missles' bonus healing back up to where it was pre 1.2 and made the shell no heat again. This would help greatly to get merc healers back to at least competitive.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but I don't have many SS of me and my Merc healer. This is me with a dedicated tank:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae241/riverstyx666/Screenshot_2012-11-20_21_32_35_061715.jpg

It was a pug group but the jugg guarding me figured out I was the competent healer of the team, thus he lived, got decent prot and I lived to do 700k in healing.

And here's the one of me kicking and screaming on the run from lolsweepers/VG's all damn game long

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae241/riverstyx666/Screenshot_2012-11-04_03_00_53_228286.jpg

I did NOT have a guard that match and probably would have died a little more often without the cross-healing, but we do have the tools to survive and can indeed put out numbers that are just as good as sages. Operatives/scoundrels we will never get to that level without some sort of HoT like they have, but when it comes to burst healing and keeping a single target alive, it doesn't get much better than us.

And before I forget, roll cybertech for the reusable seismic grenade and extra CC (albeit on a long CD) and I would like to add my healer isn't even close to full WH in either of these SS. We are in a sweet spot where we aren't OP but aren't underpowered either, so it's a respectable spot to be in. We could be much worse... (Commando/Merc DPS :()

Thought I would come post an update. Now full WH I still don't see the kind of heals other classes are posting for match totals. Scoundrels and Sages are still posting consistantly, even on players with partial WH, 300k-700k heals. I've seen a few sages on our server put out over 1 mil in heals. Commandos just don't put up those numbers. With the new stun bubble hybrid sages/sorcs they heal for a lot more even as a hybrid with more utility. Our heavy armor helps against white damage players (weapon dmg) but not against force and tech which is what most PVPers run with. Elemental dmg of powertechs is still WAY overpowered. There is just no mitigation against it. Armor means nothing against elemental attacks. When a powertech in recruit gear can 3 shot a full WH healer something is very very wrong. So in short: commando healers are still gimped. We have half the utility and half the healing output. Give our kolto bomb a longer cooldown but add a nice heal over time effect like the scoundrels have and we might survive a few seconds longer.

my numbers:

Crit Chance Ranged 35%,

Crit Chance Tech 40% (with talents),

Surge 76%,

Bonus Healing 639.5,

Activation Speed (From Alacrity) 13.78,

I've been thinking about swapping out half my Aim/End Augs for Power/Defense. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Sages and Operatives always will put out big numbers on the scoreboard due to the nature of their HoTs and persistent AoEs, if specced. The Commando/Merc does the big burst single-target healing, where and when it counts. And the other two can't even come close to our survivability. As far as utility goes, Bubble Stun is still an anomaly and I wouldn't count on it being around forever.

Edited by Jenzali

healing is not really in a bad position. I honestly feel its in alright position, scoundrels/operatives are now top healers.

its still like before tbh - if your team has 1-2 healers, opposing none, then you have more chance to win, but it doesnt guarantee win.

and i also do feel that balance here is difficult subject, can't talk about balance when i see marauders and PT dealing their massive burst damage in several seconds

The healing difference between the classes is pretty big. Commandos are pretty much toast if they don't have reactive shield up.

They really need to lower the ammo cost of Trauma Probe and allow us to throw it on as many people as we want.

Edited by AMKSED

Sages and Operatives always will put out big numbers on the scoreboard due to the nature of their HoTs and persistent AoEs, if specced. The Commando/Merc does the big burst single-target healing, where and when it counts. And the other two can't even come close to our survivability. As far as utility goes, Bubble Stun is still an anomaly and I wouldn't count on it being around forever.

Sage and Scoundrel get larger heals + their HoTs.