Crafting Feedback

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Crafting is now available for testing on PTS! A few caveats before you jump in. Similar to the rest of Phase 2, this phase is about acquisition and not the hands on testing of the actual gear. For crafting, what this means is that you can absolutely test acquiring materials, harvesting, and the crafting of items. However, in a lot of cases when you craft that new item, either nothing will happen or you may get a placeholder item. Ultimately we want you to test out how it feels acquiring materials and schematics, and crafting. Don't focus just yet on the results of the crafting. The best way to test crafting is to ensure you have a character with professions that you character copy. The boost terminal on Odessen will move their crew skills up to 600, then you can go to the fleet trainers to purchase the ability to go to 700.

Here are some things you should try to answer in your feedback.

• Do you feel like the time investment for harvesting is worth it? (please check harvesting only on Ossus for Grade 11)
  • Do you feel the time and cost for crew skill missions are worth it?
  • As a crafter, do you feel like you have a place in Spoils of War?
  • How do you feel about deconstruction and its contribution to crafting?
  • Do you feel the inflow of Jawa Junk from deconstruction helps to supplement harvesting and missions? (reminder: Jawa junk is not meant to be a primary source of materials by itself).
  • How do you feel about the new materials window?

For any feedback please be specific on what professions, mission, or resource you are talking about.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lustrous Red, Green, & Blue Crystals (Rating 266) won't go in the new Material Inventory. After looting them, they appear in my regular Inventory window but when I try to put them in the new Material Inventory window I get error message, "There was a problem depositing into the materials stash".

Do you feel like the time investment for harvesting is worth it?

Didn't test gathering new mats

Do you feel the time and cost for crew skill missions are worth it?

I think it's okay, maybe a little high?, since usually credit cost from the tier before goes up about 500credits, and 10 to 11 now goes up by about 1500 credits. Mission time seems way too high, 20 minutes, with a level 50 compainion, grade 10s are about 4-7 minutes.

As a crafter, do you feel like you have a place in Spoils of War?

Currently, from what I'm seeing, no more than in live. Price to craft 268 gear seems way too high, unless isotopes fall from the sky somewhere. 20 iso seems like a lot when you can do heroics and vet fps for 270ish gear. By the time you earn the iso's you wouldn't need the gear.

How do you feel about deconstruction and its contribution to crafting?

I love the deconstruction, adding the jawa scrap is nice, though the price at the vendors seems high. It's hard to say with how much we will deconstruct, maybe it's fine. Small amount of tech shards but I think that's okay.

Do you feel the inflow of Jawa Junk from deconstruction helps to supplement harvesting and missions? (reminder: Jawa junk is not meant to be a primary source of materials by itself).

A very small amount

How do you feel about the new materials window?

New mats window is amazing, better still if organization was better. Maybe separate components into their own category. ex: scavenging components or armormech components. Allow jawa scrap to be stored in mat storage.

Edited by Krazhez

Well, on the new planet, there wasn't anything to harvest. I have both Archaeology and Slicing and couldn't find a single thing to loot. Only way to get mats was via sending my companions out via crew skills.

Well, they are higher in cost as well time. I think the time for a lvl 50 companion at 19 min too long. Even worse for a lvl 10 companion, over an hour just to run one crew skill. Yeah, they should be shortened. As for cost, sure, I'd like to see it cheaper.

Nope. No way. I looked at the mats required for a lot of the stuff Artifice offered and there is no way I will be able to make any of it. The mat requirements are way too high and too many. 20 refined Isotope stabler's and 20 solid matrix resources just to make (1) lvl 274 green hilt is a joke. So far, all I've been able to make are (4) Premium Listorious Artifice Bonded Attachments. I've gone from 600 to 616. I'm scared to see what the costs and mat requirements are for end game BIS stuff are.

It's ok I guess. Weird thing is after you deconstruct something it just vanishes into your Materials Inventory. Yeah, you do get a window that says in text what you got for deconstructing whatever. I guess that's just a change we will have to get used to. I mean the alternative is to put the mats into your Inventory so you can actually visualize what you got and then you have to take the extra step to move them to your Materials Inventory. Currently it just saves us a step.

Do you feel the inflow of Jawa Junk from deconstruction helps to supplement harvesting and missions?

Not if mats are costing 200 a pop. That price is just way too high. Sure, I have saved up on the Live server maybe 1000 -2000 Green and 1000 Blue Jawa junk, (hardly 45 purple) but that is over the course of 7 years. As soon as this expansion goes live, I'll be able to purchase, what, 5 to 10 grade 11 mats? Either drop that price down drastically or start flooding us with tons more jawa junk from everywhere.

If your talking about the Materials Inventory window. It's fine. I've already posted a bug where it won't accept Rating level 266 Red, Green and Blue Lustrous Crystals.

Haven't crafted anything yet, but as great a QoL improvement Materials Inventory is, it's still bugged so that once opened, the spacebar continually opens and closes it until toon is logged out.

A workaround is to click on any mat inside the Materials Inventory window and then close the window via the X in upper right corner. Seems every time you click on the Diamond icon it will turn white and won't deselect until you click on something in that window.

When dragging and dropping Lustrous Green Crystals and Lustrous Blue Crystals into the Materials Stash, system says "There was a problem depositing into the materials stash". Other materials so far work fine.

This bug has already been posted above.

Edited by garthica

Not a fan of the steps to make an mk-11 kit.

For armormech, first you have to make 10 premium duranium armor assembly components to re for kit components, then 15 more to be able to make 5 prototype armor assembly components. Then when you have 20 blue underworld metal and 20 blue slicing can you make one kit.

Current mk-10 - 10 slot components, 4 blue slicing, 4 blue underworld metal, 4 Green armor component.

I ran a Arch,Scavenger, slicer through and no mats..now I did see some possible place holders. Also while on crafting I wasn't able to use purple junk scraps or mats. Just a note: Raising the price on items folks have bought for less in the past is not really a good thing. I like Micky D fries but I won't pay 6 or 7 times their old price. Tends to turn people off.

I won't go into details, but I honesty think that you learned nothing from the launch of 5.0. I see a lot of people being turned off by your turning crafting into just another time sink and grind fest. I wonder, did you put Ben Irving in charge of crafting changes for 6.0?

I can already see that crafting augments and augment kits is really going to suck. Sure I could just buy them off the gtn, but I suspect people will need to charge more than I am willing to pay just to cover their costs in making them. I hope gathering isn't as bad as it was in 5.0 so that I can at least gather my own mats, and not spend days sending my companions off on missions just to get enough to make a couple of augments.

1. •Do you feel like the time investment for harvesting is worth it?

A. been to Onderon with a character that had scavenging, there were no mats to scavenge. I assume there will be mats once it go's live for now cannot answer the question.

2. •Do you feel the time and cost for crew skill missions are worth it?

A. In a word no

Longer answer. Far to long taken to send, not everyone has level 50 comps. Yes I know you can get the comp up to level 50 but that defeats the object of the PTS, when game go's live the level of my comp are what I would have.

Far to many failed missions. On Slicing are you taking the piss? Send out a character for a lockbox gave me less for a successful mission than when it was a fail.

Time poor, cost don't have an issue with cost if more crew missions ended in success and not failed.

3. •As a crafter, do you feel like you have a place in Spoils of War?

A. No. for two reasons could not craft any item other than craft modules because not getting any of the new isotope. Would not matter if you need two per item or a thousand. (though 20 per item is far to high even if they dropped like candy) Second reason is I mainly craft for my other accounts not to sell on GTN, every item was legacy bound. So no longer have a reason to craft. Also now have no reason to sub again on any of those accounts to get the xpac. Subbing as a one off to get it mean nothing if they never going to get equipment other than what they manage within that single month. Ok there may be none legacy gear that drops for level 75 but not had any yet, if it's there.

4.•How do you feel about deconstruction and its contribution to crafting?

A.This is ok, if crafting was worth doing, it's not. So better off just selling to venders. Players who will craft will find it useful.

5.•Do you feel the inflow of Jawa Junk from deconstruction helps to supplement harvesting and missions?

A. Yes for lower tier mats, not sure I would spend that much jawa junk on anything higher than mid tier mats. This will depend on players. If you craft for game credits on GTN or for alts. (if every crafted gear is legacy bound then.. well just alts, not sure that good or very bad for the game. Time will tell but for me if I as a solo player cannot get the isotope them jawa junk just becomes junk.

6.•How do you feel about the new materials window?

A. For subs this is so far the best to come from this (along with been able to buy a 7th legacy tab) However Eric said it would be limited for none subs on the live stream the other day. As such none subs will still need to use legacy banks for mats. As a player who has both sub and preferred accounts not sure how I feel about this now, before I thought one of the best new features for the xpac. now..... well guess have little reason to sub on my other accounts even once so for my sub account very good.

Also was it really necessary to add 6 component for grade 11 crafting, Really? Why?

Overall crafting is for me ( Not talking for anyone else) is the most disappointing part of this xpac so far.

Not that it's relevant as this is about crafting, but there are a lot of positives in this xpac. Onderon is good and personally liked it.

Edit/update

Ok my 2nd and 3rd lockbox from slicing gave me slightly more, I crew mission each (both discovery, BTW discovery and biochem drop an awful lot in every grade level. yes others drop too but not nearly as much as ones form biochem and related crew skill) got 3 boxes on top of the crew missions that which all just give jawa junk. Sorry but you are way over doing jawa junk now guys.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

I gave Biochem a try, with Bioanalysis and Diplomacy as the gathering skills.

There are no nodes to harvest on Onderon but there are mobs.

I went from 600 to 700 by harvesting and some missions in less than an hour so I would say the time investment is worth it.

The cost is ok considering the amount of materials you get from each mission but the time needed to finish them is way too long.

A lvl 50 companion needs 7min 39s to complete a Grade 10 mission and 19min 7s to finish a Grade 11 mission. Why not 8m or 10min even?

This is double the amount of time and doesn't follow the Grade 9 to 10 logic.

What's gonna happen when 7.0 is released? Companions at lvl 50 will need 38 mins to finish a mission and lvl 1 companions 2h?

Absolutely not.

Materials and time needed to craft 268 are over the top. Might as well go farm Hammer Station and get it, than craft it.

I don't even wanna see what the materials for the next step of gear (Prototype) is.

Deconstruction mostly gives scraps and rearly materials so I don't see it contributing to crafting.

Also 20% chance to learn a schematic on Premium (Green) items is very low.

Edit: 10% chance to learn from Prototype Kryprax Medpack? Why so low?

Do you feel the inflow of Jawa Junk from deconstruction helps to supplement harvesting and missions?

Junk drops in reasonable quantities but the amount of them you need to buy Prototype and Artifact materials is expensive and should follow the ratio they drop. 6-3-1 for example.

Materials window is nice but still buggy.

Edited by milctoast

There are no archaeology gathering nodes on Onderon, so... nope. :) Also, even when those get added, it seems absurd that bonded attachments now cost 10 of each type of material rather than two! This functionally quintuples how long it would take us to gather our materials via harvesting. (Edit: and wait, what, they take 15 minutes each to craft, on a rank 50 companion???? Sorry, but what is this nonsense?)

As above, making bonded attachments cost five times as much, effectively making these missions quintuple in time and cost, because it takes you five times as long and costs five times as much to get enough materials to make these items (edit: even worse now I see that crafting time of 15m at 50 affection!!). If not for the bonded attachment issue, I'd say time and cost for the missions inherently would be the same as before, scaled up appropriately.

However, I am concerned about the fact that normal crafting materials are ballooning into three quality grades. Before, we had green materials from gathering skills, and blue and purple materials from mission skills. Now we have all three from all types. Is this really necessary? Of course we have no inventory issues due to the handy new crafting storage, but is there any reason the approach has to change compared to previous levels of crafting? (And why is the new level 700 instead of 650 anyway? And why don't we get the ability to send more companions on missions than eight? We previously always got an increase in deployable companions whenever crafting level and max char level increased.)

I honestly don't know. I craft a ton, but I very rarely make items purely for the stats. I prefer to craft cosmetics. And I see little-to-no cosmetics added with the new level of crafting. No new crystals or dyes. No new outfits, beyond a single (admittedly cool-looking) black and orange smuggler-looking outfit shared between synthweaving and armormech (which I don't know yet, but wouldn't surprise me if this appearance is also commonly dropped as loot, just the same as the common "outlander" appearance of 5.0 is both a common vendor-trash drop and a craftable look). I would also comment that this single look doesn't seem intended to be crafted for its look, but for its stats, judging by the number of exotic materials it costs. Where are our underworld trading schematics from crits, the ones that craft empty shells purely for looks? You didn't add any of those in 5.0 either, to my disappointment. As least you added a couple of dyes and crystals then. But we don't even have those, now. As much as we like to joke, "space barbie" is a huge part of the game, and asking how we see crafting's place in a loot system, while a fair question, seems (to me) focused on the issue of stats and ignoring cosmetics. Many of us look to crafting primarily to create looks we enjoy, so please let us do this in the new expansion.

(I will offer this much praise: whoever makes armour looks is knocking it out of the park lately. And I don't just mean cartel armour. The gear set we get on the PTS has a lovely appearance, in my view, just as the masterwork sets on Ossus did. Here we have items primarily for the stats, that actually look good. So please unleash those skills to give us some craftable cosmetics.)

So far, this seems fine.

Do you feel the inflow of Jawa Junk from deconstruction helps to supplement harvesting and missions? (reminder: Jawa junk is not meant to be a primary source of materials by itself).

So far, this also seems fine. (Still going by first impressions.)

This is amazing and a total revolution! Thank you so much for it. Thanks also for making it possible to buy a seventh tab in both personal cargo and legacy cargo.

Edited by Estelindis

So let's see here...

Mission times have more than doubled. This cuts how many materials we can gain through missions by over 50%.

Meanwhile, the number of mats required to craft Components has increased 5 times.

And the number of Components to craft an Augment slot has increased nearly 4 times.

That's 20x the material cost, at the same time mission output has been nerfed by half.

BioWare, these numbers are *insane*.

Edited by Delta_V

So let's see here...

Mission times have more than doubled. This cuts how many materials we can gain through missions by over 50%.

Meanwhile, the number of mats required to craft Components has increased 5 times.

And the number of Components to craft an Augment slot has increased nearly 4 times.

That's 20x the material cost, at the same time mission throughout has been nerfed by half.

BioWare, these numbers are *insane*.

100% agree and support !

It makes no sense to bother with crafting as it stands now. Revisit those numbers guys.

Edited by speedphlux

Hey folks,

As a quick note, if you want to test harvesting, please do so on Ossus. That is where Grade 11 harvesting is implemented. I will get this added to the OP as well.

-eric

Now you tell us. Still better late than never I guess, but sorry Eric you have made crafting so bad I am just not going to bother with it. Others may so the info was needed. Crafting as it is now is just so bad that even with changes and dare say there will be changes I cannot see that it going to go from this to any ware near to what I would find expectable. I don't even craft level 70 gear because of the isotope you took away from the jawa venders s. This new gear, just forget it.

i honestly fear the only people who will be able to have tier 11 Augs, Stims, MedPacks, whatever are those in GIGANTIC guilds that enlist all their members to farm and harvest tons of mats, dump into their Guild Bank, and have one or two people selected to craft such items and distribute out only to the elite members of the guild that run NiM Ops.

The rest of us will just have to suck it.

I have leveled every crafting profession up to 600 in order to supplement myself. Now, I won't even be able to do that due how insane the mat requirements are for everything. Sure, I'm sure someday I'll have all top tier gear from running this or that, but I will be stuck with Tier 10 Augs and forced to use Tier 10 Stims and Medpacks.

I really hope the mat requirements for schematics are artificially high because you are trying to keep people from getting a jump start on 6.0 and you are not seriously considering the amounts others have alluded to earlier just to craft simple green things. Because the mat inflation here is worse than the credit inflation of the past 3-4 years.

Please keep in mind when balancing these things the lessons of the last cycle, where the simple blue mat from FP's, WZ's and OPS (refined isotope stabilizers) was incredibly overvalued because it was used in too many things (particularly dark projects and 236/240 augments) and dropped in too small of amounts.

While the purple mat (Dark Matter Catalysts) became near worthless.

If you start putting the new blue endgame mat into simple non-top tier schematics, you are going to end up with an upside down market again. And you might want to consider dropping that from deconstruction/renown boxes and tone down the jawa scrap items.

I really hope the mat requirements for schematics are artificially high because you are trying to keep people from getting a jump start on 6.0 and you are not seriously considering the amounts others have alluded to earlier just to craft simple green things. Because the mat inflation here is worse than the credit inflation of the past 3-4 years.

Please keep in mind when balancing these things the lessons of the last cycle, where the simple blue mat from FP's, WZ's and OPS (refined isotope stabilizers) was incredibly overvalued because it was used in too many things (particularly dark projects and 236/240 augments) and dropped in too small of amounts.

While the purple mat (Dark Matter Catalysts) became near worthless.

If you start putting the new blue endgame mat into simple non-top tier schematics, you are going to end up with an upside down market again. And you might want to consider dropping that from deconstruction/renown boxes and tone down the jawa scrap items.

Nicely put. One of the reasons I play the game is I enjoy crafting. Most is for my alts. I haven't really cared for a story line since SOR. Hope they don't go overboard on mat requirements.

Tested out the harvesting on ossus, and here are my findings.

When I found something to gather (grade 11 mats) there were nice amounts to be had, however, there were so sparse and infrequent, it wouldn't be a viable way to get gear etc. I went to all zones on ossus and found two grade 11 resources in total, at present frequencies when onslaught goes live this method of gearing will be 100% ineffective, what little is out there will be gone in a blink of an eye, no one will be able to obtain the amount of materials needed to craft anything.

Rich and Bountiful missions should also give premium quality mats and higher quantity, not just artifact and prototype cause it is real pain in the behind crafting all those quantities of cell grafts so far i cheesed my way to advanced kyrpax medpac by reverse jawa junk from vendor medpacs

Feedback on Biochem:

Do you feel like the time investment for harvesting is worth it? (please check harvesting only on Ossus for Grade 11)

Not in this case - Ossus is not exactly Yavin 4 when it comes to nodes. The only reason why it was bearable was extreme low volume of players (my instance rarely had more than 5), so no real competition for the nodes. I actually levelled Bioanalysis be going to Ondarin and farming the level 75 strong creatures - got no materials but it levelled way faster. Then it was a combo of sending crew members out and harvesting Ossus for materials.

Do you feel the time and cost for crew skill missions are worth it? Time was on the slow end - a level 50 would take 15 minutes or so and a standard comp would be 35 minutes to an hour. Granted, most serious crafters probably have 5 or 10 level 50 comps but I usually only have one or two per toon. Having said that, it took my only 6 hours of game time to level Bioanalysis and Biochem to level 700 and Diplomacy to 650. This did not feel excessive (felt standard for an expansion tbh). Cost is really a non factor. I think overall it was around 2-3 mil credits to level up but I expected this. So not bad, but worth it? Not really, see below.

As a crafter, do you feel like you have a place in Spoils of War? I am not a serious crafter and will often buy items from the GTN to bypass the tedium of crafting, but I'm going to have to say no. As Biochem, there were no reusables to craft and if the tooltips are correct then I would be better off using my current resusables then taking the time & money upgrading to the next tier as the small difference in healing or power won't be noticeable. Also, if the tooltips are correct, the Stims would only last 60 minutes? - but I am hoping this is a display issue or bug (for reference, non resuable stims currently last 480 minutes). On both Biochem and my Cybertech, I could not craft anything basic to get my accuracy up to 110% (neither implants nor enhanements) for my dps. I ended buying 220 accuracy enhancements from the level 70 vendor on fleet to accomplish this. So in other words, despite spending the time and money to level Biochem, I've found zero use for it. I can't imagine other crew skills will be much better (although I am very curious how hard it will be to craft the new augments and augment kits).

How do you feel about deconstruction and its contribution to crafting? I liked it. Ultimately the Jawa scraps would give me another avenue to get the special materials to craft, so it's a good thing.

Do you feel the inflow of Jawa Junk from deconstruction helps to supplement harvesting and missions? (reminder: Jawa junk is not meant to be a primary source of materials by itself). Yes, I think it helps. I also liked that failed crew missions returned Jawa sraps.

How do you feel about the new materials window? Aside from it being slightly buggy (once open, spacebar would open it unless I did a reloadui), I liked it. More convenient than putting items in the legacy bank. Wasn't clear what or if there are limits to how much can go in there.

Suggestions: For Biochem, put back the reusables. Allow Jawa scraps to go into the material crafting bag. Triple the number of nodes on Ossus, even when nodes/crafting are added to Onderan. Make it so that basic level gear can be crafted without having to use special materials.