how can u change servers

Firestein

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have some friends on different servers and i would like to be able to play with them. so is there a way to change servers

Login into the game, and then when you press play you usually get into a queue. Press abort and choose the server you wish.

If you are at the character select screen, press the back to server list button.

If you mean transfer your character to their server, I'm afraid not currently :(

If you mean create a new charater on there server, you can get back to the server selection screen by one of the buttons on the bottom left side of the charater selection screen.

The fact that you can't change servers is the dumbest thing ever, and quite frankly, inexcusable. I could understand not letting a character go from PvE to PvP, but that's about it. If I have invested all this time into a character only to find out a friend is on another server, why should I have to go through it all again to play with a friend? DUMB.

The fact that you can't change servers is the dumbest thing ever, and quite frankly, inexcusable. I could understand not letting a character go from PvE to PvP, but that's about it. If I have invested all this time into a character only to find out a friend is on another server, why should I have to go through it all again to play with a friend? DUMB.

And you'd be 100% ok with someone making a complete nuisance of themselves, stealing gear, trolling general ect. and be able to just transfer servers when they get blacklisted from every group? This is why non paid transfers are bad.

Good to know how to force the game client to connect to a different server. But it looks like the new server won't know anything about characters started on any other server.

I sincerely hope this is something that is being worked on. I started off on a server that was originally lightly loaded. But now it is swamped every day. To be able to use a different server I have to forfeit my lvl 16 Consular?

Ugh!!!

Good to know how to force the game client to connect to a different server. But it looks like the new server won't know anything about characters started on any other server.

I sincerely hope this is something that is being worked on. I started off on a server that was originally lightly loaded. But now it is swamped every day. To be able to use a different server I have to forfeit my lvl 16 Consular?

Ugh!!!

This is standard for most AAA MMOs

And you'd be 100% ok with someone making a complete nuisance of themselves, stealing gear, trolling general ect. and be able to just transfer servers when they get blacklisted from every group? This is why non paid transfers are bad.

Good point, they had better allow name changes soon as well ;)

Being a dink and wanting to play with friends are completely different things. If someone was being jerk, there are no doubt parameters in place to take care of that. The fact that there is no option to go from one server to another is just weak, though. If I had to pay five bucks to do it, I would. I love the game and everything, but I'm already up to level 12 with my Sith and 11 with my Jedi and have no interest in grinding out the two home worlds again, and I am already finding my friends are scattering onto different servers.

No - I would expect to be able to report that person and have them threatened by Admins with having their SWtOR account terminated.

This is how the greater majority of MMOs do it, so thats how they decided they were going to do it. Rift does allow limited free transfers to SELECT servers with a cooldown, to help spread population, but that was only after 6+ months of the game being live and server populations leveling out Edited by Basiliscus

it would come in quite handy if we could switch servers.. its a pain in the *** to wait 50min to get into the server when i might be able to squeeze in 2 hours of gameplay a couple of times a week.

being able to transfer to a low population server should be doable, afterall i pay to play.

Edited by Stoltz

it would come in quite handy if we could switch servers.. its a pain in the *** to wait 50min to get into the server when i might be able to squeeze in 2 hours of gameplay a couple of times a week.

being able to transfer to a low population server should be doable, afterall i pay to play.

QTF!

Something needs to be done about waiting times to get into the game tbh. Stop letting ppl that don't already have a char on those servers start playing on them, and increase server cap so that every account with a char on the server can be online at once, or close to it.

I mean sure, it was fine on the first few days when I called in "sick" and logged on in the morning and stayed on until I went to bed...but all good things must come to an end, and having hundreds of ppl in queue at 16-17:00 or so even before the official launch is a bad sign for things to come.

Or, implement free character transfers to less populated servers...I pay to play, so let me!

This is how the greater majority of MMOs do it, so thats how they decided they were going to do it. Rift does allow limited free transfers to SELECT servers with a cooldown, to help spread population, but that was only after 6+ months of the game being live and server populations leveling out

Hmmm - I'm quite surprised to hear that this is standard practice in other MMO's. And yes, I am admitting that I am a total newbie for MMO-type gaming. Never having done it before.

I was semi-confused during beta with terms like servers, shards and instances being thrown around. Bioware seems to be assuming everyone coming to SWtOR has played MMOs before and knows the ropes. Nuh-uh!

If there's a handy - 'Picking a server is important - and here's why' article on the SWtOR Holonet - I haven't seen it. Making it mandatory reading on launching the game client the first time wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Nobody gets blacklisted anymore.

Hmmm - I'm quite surprised to hear that this is standard practice in other MMO's. And yes, I am admitting that I am a total newbie for MMO-type gaming. Never having done it before.

Its only standard practice because its really expensive and requires some intense tech time to setup during development. I'm dissapointed bioware didn't spend any of their record breaking budget on solving this problem we've all known plagues the MMO industry since 1999.

Anyways, i've complained enough, so i'll try and offer up something constructive that could help in the meantime.

Bioware, implement a way to call a server out as "full" even when its off peak times, that way it at LEAST prevents people rolling their who might otherwise avoid it when the server isn't showing its true colors. Right now, new people might make an honest mistake of thinking its okay (at medium or heavy) and then when prime time rolls around its a mess.

Edited by kalexkhan

Guys the dang game had to come out sooner or later because it could also no stay in BETA forever. Do you guys realize that. I'm sure that BIOWARE could have made it paid server transfers on release date if they would have decided to release the game even more farther ahead. The game had to be released at 1 point. This is the starting point where the kinks and mechanichs are fully discovered and then we get paid transfers. It takes time to develope and integrate. So question is are you happy to play it now or would you rather have waited till paid transfers were developed, because if so you can always leave and pretend game hasn't release and come back when they finally have Player server transfers.

The only people at fault for you and your friend(s) not getting on the same server are you and your friend(s).

You have computers, so you could e-mail each other. One of you could call another when they got in and said "Here's a list of servers that I like. Which do you want to play on?"

Again - keep in mind that not everyone playing SWtOR has played an MMO before and will have no idea about the importance of choosing a 'Server'. They also probably haven't thought of doing any reading about the mechanics of MMO's. They want to be Han Solo - not a law clerk.

It's ridiculously lame that when i go to log on ***my server is full but 20 other servers arent....and i cant play because i have to sit around in a cue. ****, farm us out to other servers, im sure youd have plenty of takers.

Or let us change servers

this is an absolute waste of time and money. 20 servers empty - one server full and no relief.

I specifically picked a server out of the middle of the pack so this would not happen.

*** bioware, really. Really?

I was on this Saturday during the pre release, and my friends all assured me that "when the game is released they are opening up the amount of players that can join a server"

Now I have a queue three times larger than it was in pre release... 50 minute wait? How are you going to release without a character server switch option? How hard can it be to implement? Now I know you have to configure a web client to accept payment (if required) then move information from one database to another, but we went through a good beta phase... You would think SOMEONE would be at your morning meeting saying "We need a way for players to switch servers"

I hate the fact that I can find this forum, login, and rant during the time I am in the server queue. What makes me even more angry is the fact that my 5 friends are all playing on a lower population server now. Great- so I am waiting in the queue on a server they made me join, and here they are playing a different server... What a waste of time. I really do not want to start a new character on a new server. :mad:

Well, I'm rather certain it will be possible later, but right now they have hundreds of thousands of people logging on and they have to act quickly on many issues (accounts, bugs, etc.). As most people are just starting off, trying many classes, it's not a big problem at the moment (though I know restarting from scratch and replaying 20ish hours is annoying, but it's acceptable in the current situation).

And yes, I am one of those waiting 40 minutes before being able to play.

( I don't work for any company )

Edited by Siriel

If this was explained before chosing a server I wouldnt be so pissed off. Regardless if this is common in other MMO's (Its not in Eve), it is still stupid. The excuse to stop people being idiots is a dumb reason.

The biggest problem with this game is there is basically no explanation of how things work, the knowledge base is a joke.