Jorgan - is assault cannon a must?

davanev

Just starting the Trooper story and have 1 major reservation, I hate the way assault cannons look, to me they are just stupidly big. Personal taste I know but to me things like that matter. I think This means two things:

1) My character has to go Vanguard as Commando is committed to the cannon

2) Aric Jorgan has to use a blaster rifle rather than a cannon

I know he has the skill but how much does it hurt his firepower if I give him a rifle?

Alternatively is there a really small cannon available on the GTN?

Thanks

The damage your companions do is, in the grand scheme of things, rather trivial. I'm sure there's a measurable difference at level cap when your companion is in your Underworld hand me downs, but at low levels you won't notice either way. Besides, as a Vanguard you'll dump Aric as soon as you come across Dorne anyway so it's even less important of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The damage your companions do is, in the grand scheme of things, rather trivial. I'm sure there's a measurable difference at level cap when your companion is in your Underworld hand me downs, but at low levels you won't notice either way. Besides, as a Vanguard you'll dump Aric as soon as you come across Dorne anyway so it's even less important of a difference.

This is not true, as a tank specced Vanguard, Jorgan does approximately 45% of our total DPS output. HK-51 does even more. I only use HK-51 for DPS and Dorne for rough spots where I need healing. HK-51 replaced Jorgo when I got him. Myself and all companions geared with purple 66 mods.

I feel the same way about Assault Cannons. I created a Commando hoping that someday, they will include one that is either small enough to look like it wasn't ripped off of a tank or is a revolving cannon that doesn't look like it doubles as a vacuum.

I geared Jorgan with a long rifle available from the PVP weapons vendor, looks great, and it's been working really well since I did. I really wish he could equip sniper rifles, as he always mentions his old squad of snipers, and how they were some of the best.