Increase level 2 speeder %

--Gunner--

I agree with OP, speeders feel slow. I'm on Hoth right now and that world in particular is covered in looong streches of nothing, and I find myself wishing I could move faster.

I was thinking "oh I see I'll ding 40 then BAM big speed increase!) then I trained it and it was a 10% boost, barely noticeable.

If you run at 30 miles and hour (and you don't, it's more like 15) then 100% increase is 60 miles/hour, i.e. about half of what the average car can make top speed.

So much for technology of the future....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think even more realistically: anything moving at the speed the speeders are in the game, would be unable to keep themselves in the air. It's just not physically possible since they don't create enough momentum.

If they were to change the name from speeder to hoverbikes or something, then it would be more believable.

Well technically in Star Wars lore they have a technology called Repulsorlift that is used in conjunction with regular engines. In essence, this is anti-gravity. It is what keeps the speeder off the ground, while the engines are what propel it. Its what allowed the speeder bikes in RotJ to hover even when no one was on them.

So speed isnt a factor in keeping flight in Star Wars.

I'm all for increasing speed on speeders, but only if they make faster speeders more susceptible to the rider being thrown, either by being hit by blaster fire, or running into anything that would normally stop a speeders forward progress (i.e. Allow them to crash into the edge of a bridge because you didn't hit the actual path) while also throwing the rider x number of meters and taking damage similar to fall damage.

they added mounts, but then made it so any mob can yell at, explode you bike and you lay on the ground doing the kickin chickin while they all beat you half to death, or kill you

they made them useless, way to go

This is the entire reason to get training 2 and 3 currently. It substantially increases the damage you take before getting knocked off. At 50 with speeder training 3 I can have 4 or 5 groups of mobs chasing me without knocking me off.

I think they should just lower the speed of the first and 2nd speeder and keep the 3rd at 110% That way you can get a nice 25% speed increase each new speeder training you get.

So you want the first speeder to move at barely faster than running? Who would even pay for a vehicle that moved at running speed?

A bike, as in one you acctually peddle, moves faster than that!

Nein, the speeders are slow enough as it is. No need to make things more tedious.

I would increase the speed of everything, to be honest, like this maybe:

Sprint = 50%

Level 1 speeder = 100%

Level 2 speeder = 125%

Level 3 speeder = 150%

Since the areas are incredibly huge, this increase will make it easier and quicker to move around, and it will also make it feel like it's worth the credits getting the higher speeds as you level up. It's not a massive change from what it is not, but it might make it actually worth spending those tons of credits.

This sounds good

So you want the first speeder to move at barely faster than running? Who would even pay for a vehicle that moved at running speed?

Nein, the speeders are slow enough as it is. No need to make things more tedious.

I'm actually happy with it the way it is. But if people continue to complain this is what Bioware should give them. It would be a +25% on each training essentially. The worlds aren't designed with having super fast speeders in mind.

I'm actually happy with it the way it is. But if people continue to complain this is what Bioware should give them. It would be a +25% on each training essentially. The worlds aren't designed with having super fast speeders in mind.

Regardless of what they are designed for, Im certain there will be faster speeders in future updates, and its not like they are going to keep you from going to old planets once you have those faster speeders. So its going to be an issue sooner or later.

Besides, there isnt a single planet I can think of that would acctually experience any problems if faster speeders were implemented. What is the worst that could happen?

I would increase the speed of everything, to be honest, like this maybe:

Sprint = 50%

Level 1 speeder = 100%

Level 2 speeder = 125%

Level 3 speeder = 150%

Since the areas are incredibly huge, this increase will make it easier and quicker to move around, and it will also make it feel like it's worth the credits getting the higher speeds as you level up. It's not a massive change from what it is not, but it might make it actually worth spending those tons of credits.

My preference,

Sprint = 35% (same)

Level 1 speeder = 100%

Level 2 speeder = 130%

Level 3 speeder = 170%

So your answer is to be vindictive and punish them? right... moving on to the SERIOUS suggestions.

This is why I didn't always use my rank 1 speeder. Tatooine maybe, but everywhere else I just ran. Rank 2 is fine.

So your answer is to be vindictive and punish them? right... moving on to the SERIOUS suggestions.

No, it solves the problem the OP is asking about. It increases the amount of speed the level 2 and 3 speeder training increases your speed by. The max level speed is fine. It just feels insignificant because players are spoiled by sprint and speeder training 1. Even though the knock off protection is more than worth the cost alone.

This is why I didn't always use my rank 1 speeder. Tatooine maybe, but everywhere else I just ran. Rank 2 is fine.

Yeah, tatooine wasnt that bad. I acctually liked tattooine. Everything was easy to get to, and even the open areas didnt feel tedious to go through.

Its kind of sad that I found the endless sands of the dune sea to be more entertaining and interesting that the grass fields of Voss or the prison blocks of Belsavis.

Just decrease the basic mount speed to 70% so that the jump to 100% is more noticeable. If everyone wasn't going so fast it wouldn't need to be increased. Sprint is on all the time anyway (really should be passive) so that may as well be your base movement speed since you get it so early. First mount should be twice as fast and after that you pay substantially more for less and less speed because by that time you have the credits to burn.

It's not like the game is large enough to need an extra fast mount.

Edited by CommonKnowledge

There are a lot of theories on why Bioware decided to make speeders about as fast as horses and by a large amount slower than flying gryphons. I don’t want to waste my or your time by thinking about all those reasons Bioware could have. I’d like to get straight to the point: I think speeders and STAPs in The Old Republic are to slow and I know there are thousands of players out there who think the same.

Let’s take a look on vehicles we know from Star Wars and their speeds. The information I use is taken from the website “Wookiepedia” (starwars.wikia.com) and should be correct.

• The top speed of standard land speeders varied between 100 and 250 km/h.
  • The top speed of Imperial 74-Z speeder bikes varied between 360 and 500 km/h.
  • Swoop bikes as we know them from games like KotOR reached top speeds of +-600 km/h.

Quite acceptable I think. I wouldn’t mind travelling that fast. It doesn’t take much thinking to see that those speeds are quite unpractical for The Old Republic’s planets but I guess nobody can say that the speed the current vehicles in game reach is reasonable. The slow speed keeps the player from doing what he wants and nothing else. If speeders would move a little faster nobody would be hurt.

In detail I’d suggest the following:

• Differentiate between STAPs as short distance vehicles and speeders as long range vehicles as it is already implemented by most of the time having STAPs as actual mounts while speeders are the vehicle used on flight points, but allow the players to actually get a speeder they can fly themselves.
  • Increase the speed of STAPs to 100%, 120% and 140%. This would actually allow the player to move with a reasonable speed and not incredibly slow.
  • Let speeders increase the moving speed by the same amount as STAPs do but add a sprint function (possibly holding down [shift]) which boosts the speeder and adds another 50% of speed.

The problem with having speeders moving at 300-600kmp/h is that you cant really control and react fast enough to ride that thing.

The lore even has an escuse for how the troopers were able to ride bikes that fast. Their helmets had advanced systems that basically allowed them to see the path ahead of them so they could react ahead of time rather than on the fly.

Only trained pilots could make turns on a vehicle moving 600 kmp/h.

i think everyone here would agree that 210k is to much for a 10% increase 10 is nothing. in wow u got a 40% increase.. then a 110% increase, then ANOTHER 100% increase!!! (only if u had the mount) i move to slow in this game!!!! im not saying i want flying mounts. i just want a speeder that moves with a little more....awsome?

You could just save the money and keep the level 25 speeder speeds. I can't honestly tell the difference.

As far as the speed settings, I suspect it's more of this "if they go too fast they can't see the environment around them" aspect of things that keeps popping up.

I'd like to see an increase in speed for level 2 and level 3 speeders. I'd be happy with any speed increase that makes it feel visually noticeable. Right now, each step in speed doesn't seem visually noticeable at all unless you're riding next to someone with a slower speeder. And even then, it's not that much...

I suggest two things:

Begin with 125%

Then 50% higher per "level"

lvl 2 speeder=1.5*125=187,5%

lvl 3 =1.5*187.5=281.25%

Thus lvl 3 speeder is 50% faster than lvl 2 and 225% faster than lvl 1 speeders. This would make it a very good upgrade since it's increasing exponentially instead of linear. Also it would bring the lvl 3 speeders closer to the lore counterparts.

Second thing: To make a speeder with 281.25% speed viable (It's very fast) we need acceleration. Currently speeders go from zero to max speed in less than a second. For a level 3 speeder to reach max velocity it would take maybe 10 seconds of acceleration. Prototype and artifact speeders (made by players and sold by various npc vendors) could have the passive ability of faster acceleration making them, other than for the looks, a good investment to buy one.