How to RP in swtor

Acaelus-Thorne

Hey everyone

Been a swtor player since Beta, across many servers. Never a RP server. I was wondering what exactly would I have to do to join a RP guild? What the requirements, how do you converse? I've never RPd in any MMO. For example if I wanted to join as a Sith Lord how would one do that? Would I need to prove myself in combat to join? Would I join as an apprentice and kiss *** or undermine my superiors to promote my glory? Or does RP not even exist in swtor?

You are asking the right questions. If you want the basics of RP, then listening to the Podcast I linked in Alpha Company post will help (it's long winded, but it gets the point across).

I am sure with more and more guilds coming from Jung Ma you can find someone who can mentor you in the finer points of RP.

The most important recommendation I could give would be have an RP-appropriate name, Ozzimondious is better than LordDeathRage, without interacting with anyone, it's your first impression. RP appropriate meaning something a character could actually be named.

Each server and guild has different rules, the general consensus is Say chat is In-Character (IC), Gen is Out-of-Character (OOC), and anything OOC you want to say when it's uncertain what the chat conditions are should be double parenthesis'd ((like this)). Some want quotations around IC talk, but that's usually personal preference.

If you wanted to join as a Sith Lord, you'd need to talk with the recruiting guild member for what their rules are, they will vary drastically depending on which guild you go to. I've seen some have the apprentice program, others have Lord as the base rank of a Sith.

I'd also recommend browsing http://ebhawk.enjin.com/forum/m/17460172/viewforum/5994986 for some more specific answers, they've put in a lot of work compiling this resource and is a big help.

Edited by Houzukimaru

All these points are dead on, but there is another point I would like to make concerning interacting with other people's toons. Don't do anything that would effect another person's toon without their approval prior (i.e. disarm them, use Force Powers on them, or really anything that 'you' would force on their characters). Once you get to know another person (and their toon) they will be more accepting of your character doing something to theirs.

All owners of toons generally think of their toon as a strong fighter, powerful Jedi, etc...Some have already worked out their character's back story, demeanor, etc..So for a complete stranger to just make or do something to their toon is usually considered extremely rude.

My advice is to come to your characters respective Fleet Cantina and blend in, find an opening in other people's characters and join in (or send a /tell to one and ask if you can join in...sometimes other characters may be working on a story plot and interrupting them might piss them off.

Edited by Nichalus