The Making of Gear Inspired by “The Mandalorian”

DanielSteed

Hello everyone!

Today we published another behind the scenes style article. This time we pulled back the curtain and talked about the creative process when it came to making items inspired by "The Mandalorian". If you'd like to give it a read, here's a link.

I appreciate the posting !!

I think sometimes we forget that the proper setting for SWTOR is "a few years" before the Mandalorian TV series !

It's a few thousand years, not a few years. The Treaty of Coruscant was 3652 BBY, Mandalorian is 9 BBY.

yes .. I know hence the " " around few years.

I probably should have used [/sarcasm off]. I just didn't want to come across negatively ... and I still messed up !

Obviously the point I wanted to make is that getting caught up in the Star Wars Universe it's easy to sometimes forget where we actually are (in the grander scheme of the SW time line).

OOPS !

Sorry ... my bad !

OH !! Also ... just for the record !! IMO the team does do a nice job attempting to "retro" that far back without making things so antique that we might loose interest !

Funny how you call the rifle a sniper rifle in the article, yet it's just a blaster rifle in the game, making it useless to snipers. WTB A SNIPER VERSION OF THIS BW!

Really stupid decision by them ... why not just make two versions. They do it all the time with lightsabesr & double-bladed Lightsabers.

SO it's not a sniper rifle, it's a blaster rifle.. but it's Mando, but bounty hunter characters can't use it. I bought cartel coins to get the doggone thing and now I have this blaster rifle that my bounty hunter cannot use.

I'm really rather irritated about this.

SO it's not a sniper rifle, it's a blaster rifle.. but it's Mando, but bounty hunter characters can't use it. I bought cartel coins to get the doggone thing and now I have this blaster rifle that my bounty hunter cannot use.

I'm really rather irritated about this.

But you know that Bounty Hunters can't use rifles, so I'm not sure why you bought the rifle thinking you'd magically be able to use a rifle.

But you know that Bounty Hunters can't use rifles, so I'm not sure why you bought the rifle thinking you'd magically be able to use a rifle.

I was kind of wondering about that !

Just asking: Isn't the SWTOR " sniper rifle " limited in it's application to only those characters that are able to "equip and use" the "sniper rifle" ?

As I understand it the following applies to the BH such as listed below:

****Powertech****

* Blaster pistol

*Flamethrower / Energy Shields

*Ranged DPS or Mid-Range Tank

****Mercenary****

*Dual Blaster Pistols

*High Tech Gadgets

*Ranged DPS or Healer

To my knowledge the blaster pistols are pretty much it ! If this is incorrect I'll gladly edit accordingly !

Just flag the cartel market Mando rifle as being all types of rifle so every pew-pew class can use it.

It doesn't/can't work like that, though. Bounty Hunters and smugglers use Blaster Pistols only -- and you can't just flag a 2-handed (long) rifle as being a blaster pistol. You also can't just flag it as being an autocannon.

Just flag the cartel market Mando rifle as being all types of rifle so every pew-pew class can use it.

I'm afraid that in order for the "sniper rifle" to be used by the Mando that character/ class would have to be "coded" as being able to use that weapon. That would probably open the door to the question of "inter class weapon use". More than likely that would not happen.

This in my opinion is much like a special forces character like the Republic "Havoc Squad" trooper / commando only using the auto cannon / heavy blaster cannon. While it is true that "grenades" show up on the skill / abilities / rotation lists the auto cannon is the only "choice" of weapon. You would think that a special forces person could make use of a blaster pistol as well as a sniper rifle ... or just about any weapon available (with the possible exception of the light saber). BUT ... that is not the case. IMO this is one of those points of discussion that has to finally yield to the concept of the class / character and the game design !

I'm NOT saying it's entirely fair ... but I do understand why it's done that way !

Edited !!! (oops !! )

Edited by OlBuzzard

I really do wish they'd finally let some classes use alternative weapons. It may not work with all of them, but it would with some of them. That would at least be a start. Powertech, as an example, literally only uses its blaster with the basic attack. It's mostly just cosmetic. There wouldn't even need to be any new animations. Just give them blaster rifle certification. Commando can already use blaster rifles, they just need to remove the cannon requirement on a few skills. Operative could very easily be adapted to carrying a pistol, etc.

At this point with all cartel armor being adaptive and any class being able to use any piece, the idea that a certain class uses certain equipment, or looks a certain way, is long since dead anyway. They realized early on they'd sell more armor if any class could use any set, and the same would be true if more classes could use certain weapons. Again just start with the few easy ones, and go from there based on what's feasible. It is a shame that such a nice rifle was put in game but essentially only two classes can really make good use of it.

The claim that the developers can easily remove weapon restrictions is an assumption we don’t have much evidence for. We have, basically, no idea what the underlying code behind class weapon restrictions looks like and what spaghetti code it might be tied to.

I mean, I wouldn’t mind relaxing the weapon restrictions, but I also just don’t really get why people mind so much.