I am Scissors. Where is my paper?

HanSollo

I said it specifically for GS, Sniper is another story. GS can still use quite a few abilities while moving. Sniper can't outside of grenade, flash, stabbystabby, and their basic free shot. Anything else will disrupt the cast. They are supposed to be mirrors, but it's obvious not all things are mirrored exactly in regards to casts.

I must have missed something obvious then dude because my lvl 50 gunslinger and lvl 50 sniper are exactly the same.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing people post this misinformation. They are not a counter to sentinels or marauders. We are actually a counter to them. Picking off someone in a warzone who's in a group fighting someone else doesn't mean you are a counter. Try 1v1ing a sentinel in any of your specs and see how well you do. :rolleyes: We have so many ways to counter your class.

you've only played bad snipers. (Maybe I've only played bad sents, idk) The fact that we get to engage at such a long range is pretty nice.

Sounds like a poor operative to me dude, he really should have noticed your entrenched and waited till it expired.

This is not a class-specific thing. Even a sentinel, or a sage would stun during entrench. In other words, all this proves is lack of knowledge of sniper's abilities, not a lack of skill on the players on their own classes.

I remember at launch when NO ONE knew what it was because nobody played a sniper but myself ._.

Edited by Zunayson

In this thread: Bad player playing what could be argued the most Ooverpowered class, unable to kill anything.

Bahahaha I knew snipers were op at launch. Looks like the sniper, while being a late bloomer while leveling, is going to be a late bloomer of the sentinel-effect. I NEED TO RELEASE A JT-SPOOF VIDEO.

Flourish Shot + Speed Shot + Aimed Shot + Trick Shot + Sabotage Charge+ Charged Bolts + Trick Shot = Dead or almost dead heavy armor users. Flourish helps to reduce their armor. Aimed shot , if specced as a Sharp Shooter also reduces armor. Don't know what you're complaining about. Perhaps go for dirty fighting or saboteur if sharp shooting isn't your thing?

My EWH/WH sniper runs the Lethal Engineer spec and the only class I struggle to kill is a very good Sin/Shadow that knows when to cleanse my bleeds. Powertech and Jugg tanks just melt during cull and since I don't really need cover; Snipers running MM/SS can't use Diversion on me and I still have all my roots and stuns to be the hard counters to Mara's. Energy is a ***** and takes a long time to master in this spec but the gains, in my opinion very well worth it. Edited by USCG_Davis

Assassins are hard counters for snipers. It isn't marauders although they are very good counters.

To defeat any sniper its a 3 trick move. LoS, DoT, break there cover and kill. Pick an order to victory that your opposition is willing to accept for there pending death.

The advantage we have over marauders is an extended stealth. I would prefer to be running my madness spec for DoTs. Deception is good as well. When you have a class like gunslinger/sniper you just understand they have no cleanse and are 100% relying on cover. Taking away cover is all you need to do. Once you've got them needing to move its over.

As to range advantage. That is the biggest joke. I've got 30m attacks in every build so root me. The class is only good in sub-50 where classes like marauders don't get the complete setup of skills until well into the late 30's/40's of the class.

I completely abandoned my gunslinger who was my first toon. Rank 69 and that was pre-buff. Your a good class for holding points. Guarding the back row and have all sorts of hard hitting damage.

1 vs. 1 your class is a not good. Pretending your good 1 vs. 1 is an illusion to only yourself. I play the 1 vs. 1 class. I think you can be excellent as a gs and kill a lot of people. Most of you don't stand a chance 1 vs. 1 against any serious dps class. Your class isn't designed to be a hard counter. But I need you in my warzones. Just know your dps utility.

I left for assassin. Much more fun to play. I like my glowstick.

You must be the only unhappy gunslinger/sniper. Most peoples opinion on this class is perfectly balanced, to a little overpowered.

Pretty much this. I think this class is not only right where it needs to be but it is probably the best class, mechanically and balance wise, in the whole game.

PoliteAssasin you are fueling too much of your ego in this thread, just as there are bad marauders, there are bad snipers, I even know an elite warlord that never tried any other spec than MM. I'll give you that, against maras that use all their arsenal and rely on their abilities you need a sniper with not only good knowledge but with good execution of its rotation, abilities and counter abilities.

So you dueled the best sniper on your server? First of all its already stupid for him to even consider lethality on you. Second, how did you arrange the duel given how much the outcome in this game depends on circumstances? Or do you think that winning a 1vs1 in an open field is an exact measure of a class matchup or balance between them?

The outcome between a sniper and any other class depends on map layout, elevation, CDs and initial engaging distance. Dont tell me that you arranged for all that scenarios when dueling the sniper. The only real duel matchup were you can put the two monkeys face to face and see which one is better is the melee vs melee. Any other matchup will never reflect the true balance.

A matchup between a PT Pyro and sniper is even more dependent on the distance between sniper and line of sight obstruction. If sniper has any obstruction within 10m, pyro should always win. If there are none at all, snoper should always win.

What if i told you that the best player between us two should be decided on hutball where i start on catwalks and you at the middle below? Stupid, isnt it?

Since you like to post all sort if arogant things about you being an uber leet sentinell, roll your sleeves and start commenting how you will deal with this:

Here is a few of my key abilities and their CD

• I will not give you opportunity to leap at me. Even if you were solo guarding a node and i would come to you, (which is stupid in the first place for a class not designed to solo take caps, a class that should rather stick with the team), i will provoke you from 35 range with potshots at you. Its a tricky one, lag dependent, but dont expect if i come to you that you will get a free leap. If you will move to close the distance for you to leap,i will just stay in cover.
  • Don't expect me to position myself in a stupid place where you can easily LOS me while you are within 10m range or some other stupid wall, this will not happen. If you will get knocked back, you will eat the full range of it.
  • Evasion, 3s, 1 min CD. It counters all your white damage. Perfect against ravage when i dont feel like knocking you back. If you dont interrupt your ravage, you are basically giving me a 2sec to freecast while i dont take damage form you
  • 35 meters root on 12s CD. That's right, i have it talented, And I use it often. When i am rooting you, i reposition myself to refresh my balistic dampers if i dont have entrench on. You cannot leap to me during that time. Hell i can even bait your force camo with an ambush now if you didnt use it yet and i have no obfuscate debuff. Alternatively i can get a free shot at you with an instant Followthrough without breaking your root because <2sec.
  • Don't expect me to fill your resolve before attempting to knock you back. Many sniper just panic at the beginning of the fight throwing all they've got at you. Of course i will not wait if you are carnage opening with gore.
  • As said before, my ambush is my bating attack, you will burn through your CDs if you will not want to eat it. Oh good luck at your reaction skills because you will want to pop that CD as late as possible during those 1,5s activation time, or i will be able to cancel my ambush if you do it too soon.
  • Entrench with Siege bunker: Basically renders your only stun and 7000 crit smash (if you are a lolderpsmasher) completely useless. If I have ballistic dampers left, I will mitigate 90% damage from it.
  • I could go for an orbital, but dont expect me to use it in a stupid situation that will not allow me emergency mezz you when you just popped up an important CD. Speaking of which, no, I am not going to fight you on your terms. I can reliably destroy you through the saberward with with target acquired +30% accuracy buff. Combined with my base ranged 105% accuracy you will only have 15% chance to dodge my attacks istead of 50%. and i am not going to use big hit or miss abilities, i have two series of shots ready for this which will give you a very decent damage.
  • if you are one of those happy pvp adrenal addicts that likes combining it with cloak of pain, i will notice that, dont expect me to just sit and watch how you take no damage. I can pop up my own adrenal and ballistic shield, or i can just mezz you and wait for this crap to expire
  • Diversion -> Consider this one a mini-obfuscate, the only difference however is, that you will have 45% miss chance ON ALL your attacks. be it force or melee. The hilarious thing is, i can use it when you pop your juyo berserk to make half of your crit dots miss, heheh.
  • As for obfuscate, in case i've used up all my roots, knockbacks, immunity things, i can always rely on a few tech attacks. Even the most useless shiv that snipers have can prove useful in this scenario for some another 2000 damage. Frag grenades are not worse either. And explosive probe is another hard hitting tech ability. I have enough attacks to use during those 6s seconds of obfuscate.

And i did not mention shield probe for some more damage mitigation.

A sniper that is also a skilled marauder player, that knows all your abilities and has a quick and healthy reaction to your attacks, will lose very rarely to you because he simply has more tools to counter your abilities, defensive and offensive CDs. Its all matter of practice and execution of thw said abilities. But remember just as you are skilled with your marauder, there are other players skilled with their classes.Trust me, a sniper that can put a decent fight to an asassin or a concealment ops (not always winning, but not getting roled either), will not be afraid of you.

Last thing, annihilation, just like any dot spec has an inherent advantage against snipers because of the nature of all dot specs. We can counter big burst damage specs much better than steady sustained damage dealing specs. But saying that you beat all snipers reliably 100% of time with one spec does not mean that the entire marauder class can do that. It would be the same if I told you that all snipers can 100% beat jug tanks based on my solo experience of dominating them with lethality.

In conclusion you are assuming that everyone is on their top form everytime and that the game should be balanced according to that. No matter how you put it if 90% of maras re loosing to snipers, even if you win a few skirmishes against them, snipers are countering you, period. You probably dont know how often you've been in the mid of action busy with someone else when a sniper actually killed you.

PS: you have an advantage against gunsligers, becuse their offhand attack misses more often than the sniper rifle, which procs your retaliate almost always.

What are you smoking dude? Stop spreading missinformation. Saying that GS has more instacast abilities than sniper is like saying that operative healer has better mobility than scoundrel healer.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5403681&postcount=41

PoliteAssassin bragging about how easy it is for an annimara to solo an op healer just using slash and merciless slash. This is followed by about 10 people with annimaras telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about and shouldn't win that matchup pretty much ever.

So, as I said before. Take this guy's boasts with a huge grain of salt.

Edited by Larry_Dallas

Ahahha, I think i have a new winner for my signature.

I liked this one better, from slightly later in the thread.

Not just me there boss, a few other watchman on my server can pull it off as well. We don't even think much of it, idk what server you're on or the skill level of your dual wielders that give you the impression it isn't doable. Yeah sure you can give me outlines of how you can counter a dps, it all looks good on paper but let's see how it is in game, because in game we have no issues with them. It's like those people who claim snipers are a hard counter to sents and maras, and talk about all the stuff they're going to do to them, without mentioning one key factor that the above poster is also lacking, what does the sentinel/marauder do? Is he supposed to just take it, or in the case of a healer sit there?

I really do feel sorry for you guys If you find operative healers a problem. And yes it is a l2p issue because I and others have absolutely no issues with them at all. /shrug

and another annimara's immediate response

Seems like it is a L2P issue, for the Operatives on your server.

The only classes not coutnered by gunslinger/sniper are assassins, operatives and other snipers.

Sorcs and Mercs can't stand up to them without LOS due to less efficient burst, cooldowns and lack the interrupt immunity snipers have. As well as entrench makes it impossible to CC the sniper to set up your own burst. The only thing these classes can do is run away or use LOS.

And of course sniper/gunslinger is a direct counter for mara/jugg so saying you are the scissors and you have no paper is completely false. Only stealth classes and your mirror class can take you on in a standoff

The only classes not coutnered by gunslinger/sniper are assassins, operatives and other snipers.

Sorcs and Mercs can't stand up to them without LOS due to less efficient burst, cooldowns and lack the interrupt immunity snipers have. As well as entrench makes it impossible to CC the sniper to set up your own burst. The only thing these classes can do is run away or use LOS.

And of course sniper/gunslinger is a direct counter for mara/jugg so saying you are the scissors and you have no paper is completely false. Only stealth classes and your mirror class can take you on in a standoff

Ahaha but if snipers can take him down, by definition he must be able to take them out as well!

This is the fun of ghost vs ghost and dragon vs dragon in pokemon. They both countered each other! Sniper v Sniper is always interesting (especially MM) because MM is super powerful in the face of ranged attacks and white damage big- hitters

less efficient everything. sniper has far superior defenses than the merc. that said, I had very little trouble killing snipers on my assault commando a few patches ago (1.2). I did, however, make use of los to cast a heal halfway through for the good ones.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5403681&postcount=41

PoliteAssassin bragging about how easy it is for an annimara to solo an op healer just using slash and merciless slash. This is followed by about 10 people with annimaras telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about and shouldn't win that matchup pretty much ever.

So, as I said before. Take this guy's boasts with a huge grain of salt.

Ten people say the world is flat, does it make it so? I love how you're following me around though. I'm flattered. :o

If you're so convinced that you can beat me on a sniper, come on over and let's see how you do. Ill sponsor you so you won't have to worry about paying one cred. Level up to 50, ill cover your augments, get yourself war hero in a few days and lets see how well you do. Begeren colony. Your move internet tough guy. :rak_03:

Oh pls, we already have one dude here that has beaten the best sniper, best operative on a server :D

Ah, no more arguments for your cute little illusions so you have to change the subject in order to boost yourself up. Predictable. ;)

Assassins are hard counters for snipers. It isn't marauders although they are very good counters.

To defeat any sniper its a 3 trick move. LoS, DoT, break there cover and kill. Pick an order to victory that your opposition is willing to accept for there pending death.

The advantage we have over marauders is an extended stealth. I would prefer to be running my madness spec for DoTs. Deception is good as well. When you have a class like gunslinger/sniper you just understand they have no cleanse and are 100% relying on cover. Taking away cover is all you need to do. Once you've got them needing to move its over.

As to range advantage. That is the biggest joke. I've got 30m attacks in every build so root me. The class is only good in sub-50 where classes like marauders don't get the complete setup of skills until well into the late 30's/40's of the class.

I completely abandoned my gunslinger who was my first toon. Rank 69 and that was pre-buff. Your a good class for holding points. Guarding the back row and have all sorts of hard hitting damage.

1 vs. 1 your class is a not good. Pretending your good 1 vs. 1 is an illusion to only yourself. I play the 1 vs. 1 class. I think you can be excellent as a gs and kill a lot of people. Most of you don't stand a chance 1 vs. 1 against any serious dps class. Your class isn't designed to be a hard counter. But I need you in my warzones. Just know your dps utility.

I left for assassin. Much more fun to play. I like my glowstick.

Don't bother convincing these guys. Their egos are too big for them to see the reality. Picking off someone in a wz who doesn't pay attention to them is considered a 1v1 for them. :D

Edited by PoliteAssasin

Dude, i was hoping that you would entertain us with your commentaries on my big post in this thread. You never know how many more hilarious things you may claim and guve us all a good laugh.

Oh the only one laughing is me. :D But who am I to crush your silly little dreams? :)

Edited by PoliteAssasin

I Play a GS. Have been playing since prelaunch i have been waiting patiently for my paper to show up but its still not here. Most people dont realize that most of the DMG done my GS is white so its all mitigated by armor. This pretty much takes out anything wearing heavy armor. Ok so Guardians/Troopers/ Mercs are out they mitigate 30-40% of your DMG right off the bat. so light and medium armor lets see. Sin/shadow op/scoundral have stealth. So at best you can wait for them to pop out of stealth and start on someone else but the one without downs simply kill you first then head to thier intended target. so whats left Sent/Mara.....if i have to explain that one to u then im sorry. So Sorc/Sages granted they only mitigate 15-20% of the dmg but the problem is they have a 4k bubble on a 20 sec CD so they have somthing like 30k hp and plunty of mobility to LoS you till they can rebubble. so what exactly am i supposed to target. The only use i am in WZs is to pop bubbles so melees dont get stunned. i really am confused as to why you even made this class. Not to mention that i have to stack accurcy to even be able to hit (+15%) to make sure i hit. So while others are stacking crit surge im stacking accuracy and more accuracy and more accuracy which ****s anydmg i would do. Plz if you can explain to me how i can kill **** let me know

Every non stealth melee is your paper. Stop being bad.

And everyone ranged too, if there is no LoS.

Edited by Smashbrother

Oh the only one laughing is me. :D But who am I to crush your silly little dreams? :)

You lack providing any elementary logic, any counter arguments. You have burned yourself when you tried to BS people about your watchman soloing best op healers. You have made every marauder laugh about your incompetence.

You dont have the balls to answer how you will counter my sniper because you will be eaten alive after more of your stupid assertions.

Edited by NoTomorrow