Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Idea for 6.0

xMaranathax
02.28.2019 , 02:31 PM | #1
Could we please see the return of 8v8 ranked?

Talyc Manda
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

Lhancelot
02.28.2019 , 06:37 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by xMaranathax View Post
Could we please see the return of 8v8 ranked?
For the sake of change, this would be awesome.

Looking forward to all the responses that will say "we don't have the population to do 8v8 ranked." Heard this years ago when we used to beg for 8v8 ranked.

Honestly if they got 8v8 regs, they got a population for 8v8 ranked. I really believe more people would participate in 8v8 objective based ranked matches too.

I realize some people enjoy 4v4 deathmatch arenas, but way more people enjoy the 8v8 objective based maps more. The tricky part would be how to incorporate teams.

I think for it to really work, they'd have to only allow solo ranked 8v8 queues just because the queues would fill up faster than if you had to wait for 4+ premade groups for a 8v8 ranked match.

Thing is, they could always make it optional to see how popular both types of matches would be, meaning 8v8 solo ranked and 8v8 teams.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

DavidAtkinson
02.28.2019 , 10:46 PM | #3
And how would the que work ?

Typical scenario:

8 top players group and que and then wipe all the casual teams they get. They enter the Civil War and for the enemy team is becomes clear they lose the game after like 30 seconds 1minute of playing and thus they ragequit. Most of them at least.

To imagine the typical 8 man ranked just look at how regs go. I mean if it's a loss whats the point for the enemy to stay till the end ?

8 man ranked would be great honestly but I don't see it work with the current playerbase. And 8 man hutball ? No thank you... Top team would park stealths on the goal line and it would be a cake walk.

Look, this game wasn't designed for any meaningful PVP.

xMaranathax
03.01.2019 , 01:18 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
And how would the que work ?

Typical scenario:

8 top players group and que and then wipe all the casual teams they get. They enter the Civil War and for the enemy team is becomes clear they lose the game after like 30 seconds 1minute of playing and thus they ragequit. Most of them at least.

To imagine the typical 8 man ranked just look at how regs go. I mean if it's a loss whats the point for the enemy to stay till the end ?

8 man ranked would be great honestly but I don't see it work with the current playerbase. And 8 man hutball ? No thank you... Top team would park stealths on the goal line and it would be a cake walk.

Look, this game wasn't designed for any meaningful PVP.
I disagree. Back when we did have ranked 8v8, we had lots of fun! We had actual PvP guilds that dedicated teams to fill the matches. Sure, we had to organize game nights, but thats no biggie. And with those guilds, came in people who actually knew what they were doing. No noobs, because the guild bringing the team in made sure everyone was capable of doing their part.

Talyc Manda
Aliit ori'shya tal'din

merovejec
03.01.2019 , 02:33 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by xMaranathax View Post
Back when we did have ranked 8v8
There is the problem right there
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68815

op_lawknight
03.01.2019 , 03:32 AM | #6
I agree, I think Ranked 8v8 would be something easy that they can implement that doesn't require much, if any new resources but would add a lot of fun to the game. I'm already expecting that 6.0 is probably going to be the least dense expansion we're going to get (aside from or on the level of KotET), it's just the reality that it doesn't seem like they're very interested anymore in adding a significant amount of meaningful content versus how easy it is to slap on a couple hours of story missions and make just as much, if not more profit.

I'd probably cut Huttball out of the map rotation, though, it's really fun to play but the engine limitations and the class composition really wouldn't make it fun to play in a competitve environment. Matches would likely frequently end up getting decided based on which team gets the worse luck with the random in-game physics. The other 8v8 maps all have enough complexity that I think they wouldn't suffer much from the exclusion of Huttball.

merovejec
03.01.2019 , 04:57 AM | #7
Well, with this mode, there will be a whole new level of wintrading incoming that would mean that 8 ppl would be getting wintraded, I can't wait to see the leaderboards with this system
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68815

limenutpen
03.02.2019 , 02:25 AM | #8
This is what ToFN had in the first half of 2013 when I tried to organize a league.
https://rwzchampionsleague.blogspot....8b08951a8bfa38
I had initial interest from 20 plus guilds when I started gathering feedback.

The community in PvP was triple. Unfortunately the league failed for queing sync problems.
May be would be easier to organize something like this with Group Challenge PvP button. (does it work or not?)
I know though that at the time the Australia server did something similar and had a success.

Removal of Ranked WZs was a big fail and half the PvP community was wiped in few weeks.

Also the way the game works balance is much easier to achieve in 8 vs 8, then in 4vs4 Arenas.

PVP and SWTOR has never been a good story line. Since BW always decided that to give something to PvPers you need to take them something from them, and sometimes not even that.
- 1.3 removal of Illum World PvP (half of population in PvP servers enraged and left game)
- 2.4 removal of Ranked WZ (8vs8) replaced by Arenas (this started more with disbanding giulds)
- 5.0 removal of PvP gear (again another drop in PvP player base)

The love of BW for PvPers is without words

Here is a reminder of the complains when 8vs8 wer removed http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=670748
Nutpen: Sage, Lim'suno: Scoundrel, Lei'Suno: Commando, Color-full: Sentinel
Los'suno: Assasin, Diopen: Juggernaut, Grandblu: Powertech, Brontolon: Sniper