Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

So I decided to use parsec tonight. While I found the tanking information quite nice; I have found some pretty large discrepancies between parsec and torparse. Not only DTPS but DPS and APM.

I am submitting the log here for your inspection, along with the Torparse link.

Edit: Upon further inspection, almost no information from the two fights are the same. While I can confirm they are the same fight. One of them reads horribly inaccurate, the question is which. If there is more information I can give, I would be happy to. PM would probably be the best way to contact me.

Edited by Hockaday

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the log files have some limitations when it comes to damage types and attack types. First, log files do not specify ranged/melee vs force/tech. Second, if an attack is avoided its damage type is not reported in the log. These limitations along with the complexity of the mitigation rules make it impossible to accurately display mitigation in seperate buckets.

With this in mind, i designed parsec to display total mitigation rates like this:

Avoided attacks / all attacks

Shielded attacks / all attacks

As a tank myself i find these statistics usefull in determining my performance and gear effectiveness even though they are not ideal.

It is possible to build a database of attacks and their attack type based on mitigation results over time, but this is more work than it is worth since it would be useless on new content.

I feel like a database of attack types would be so useful to be worth it. You could have the database automatically, provisionally classify attacks based on circumstantial evidence (if you see it dodged it is M/R, if shielded it is M/R or K/E, if resisted it is F/T, etc.) and then let some of the other number crunchers post more authoritative classifications that get marked in the database as confirmed.

So I decided to use parsec tonight. While I found the tanking information quite nice; I have found some pretty large discrepancies between parsec and torparse. Not only DTPS but DPS and APM.

I am submitting the log here for your inspection, along with the Torparse link.

Edit: Upon further inspection, almost no information from the two fights are the same. While I can confirm they are the same fight. One of them reads horribly inaccurate, the question is which. If there is more information I can give, I would be happy to. PM would probably be the best way to contact me.

Actually, they are identical. The difference you are seeing is that TorParse's damage taken calculations include absorbed damage. If you add the Abs and total column from PARSEC you get 303614 which is the same as TorParse's numbers. This difference in calculation affects all of the damage taken numbers.

Now which is right? I dunno. As a tank myself I can see the value in both calculations. I will think about it some more. And if you have any feelings about it, share them and convince me to change it :)

Actually, they are identical. The difference you are seeing is that TorParse's damage taken calculations include absorbed damage. If you add the Abs and total column from PARSEC you get 303614 which is the same as TorParse's numbers. This difference in calculation affects all of the damage taken numbers.

Now which is right? I dunno. As a tank myself I can see the value in both calculations. I will think about it some more. And if you have any feelings about it, share them and convince me to change it :)

Unfortunately, they are still not identicle. Damage done, APM, healing recieved, etc is different. As well as fight time I believe.

Unfortunately, they are still not identicle. Damage done, APM, healing recieved, etc is different. As well as fight time I believe.

Yes some of the other numbers are slightly different. This difference is explained by how PARSEC deals with the combat end event. Because of the out of order logging that occurs with the combat end event each parser has a different approach to combat end. PARSEC opens a 1 second window after a combat end event in order to pick up any out of order combat events. Obviously this skews the numbers by 1 second.

So after reviewing your data I have decided to make two changes to PARSEC:

1) Combat end events will be handled the same way but calculations based on time will now use the last combat end event time instead of including the floating combat window.

2) Damage taken will now automatically include absorbed damage. I believe this will normalize the damage taken between fights since it will no longer be variable based on absorb shields effects applied to you.

After both of these changes were made the numbers line up with TorParse except for some rounded decimal place differences.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback and you should see these changes make it into the next release of PARSEC this week.

Edited by Docmal
Edited based on some further research

My guild switched also to PARSEC, this pasrer is by far the best out there. While some players reported performance problems with MOX or torparse no one complained until now.

I love the combat log feature especially the filter options. This makes analyzing fights much more easier.

Keep up that great work and to all the users make notice of the donate button. I think this parser is worth the support of the community.

I'm experiencing a problem with parsec. I cannot launch it -> ANYMORE<-.

I get this warning:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6033/owz7.png

It updates, then shows this warning.

Things I've tried:

- restarting computer

- uninstall then reinstall

- have .Net 4.5 installed

No clue how to fix it.

Yuk that sucks. Can you send the Error message when you press the details button to the parsec support email? It is support @ ParsecParser . com (without the spaces)

Thanks,

Drew

Hey Doc,

u did a great job with providing this wonderful tool to the community! My whole guild has recently switched from torparse to parsec because of ist superiority in Terms of stability, Performance and professional Features like filtering Options!

Here Comes some Feedback:

a) Currenty the raid dmg popout list is sorted by DPS. I think it should be sorted by DMG done, we often had some weird results like

RANK/Player Name DMG done DPS

#1 PlayerA 100.000 3200

#2 PlayerB 122.000 2800

#3 PlayerC 95.000 2600

In this case playerB should be leading, not playerA :)

b) Will there be those fancy bars to visualize the relative dmg done like torparse did?

Sorry for my english, im no native Speaker and quite lazy when it Comes to thinking about formulations in foreign languages :D

Hey Doc,

u did a great job with providing this wonderful tool to the community! My whole guild has recently switched from torparse to parsec because of ist superiority in Terms of stability, Performance and professional Features like filtering Options!

Here Comes some Feedback:

a) Currenty the raid dmg popout list is sorted by DPS. I think it should be sorted by DMG done, we often had some weird results like

RANK/Player Name DMG done DPS

#1 PlayerA 100.000 3200

#2 PlayerB 122.000 2800

#3 PlayerC 95.000 2600

In this case playerB should be leading, not playerA :)

b) Will there be those fancy bars to visualize the relative dmg done like torparse did?

Sorry for my english, im no native Speaker and quite lazy when it Comes to thinking about formulations in foreign languages :D

Its funny you mention the sort order. I have asked this of my raid group's DPS on many occasions and always get a different answer. It really boils down to what people expect and unfortunately what people expect often changes based on the context. If you are the person who died half way through a long fight and was revived, if it was sorted by total damage you would be stuck at the bottom of the pile indefinitely. I came to the conclusion that during combat it was better to see damage sorted by dps because it is more dynamic. However, after a fight it was better to sort by total damage to see how you did.

All that said, I do have some enhancements to the pop puts on my list but they most likely aren't coming soon.

I think you have parsec and torparse confused. Parsec does not use adobe air and does not have a window that Checks parameters.

Parsec requires MS .net 4.5 runtime, and does a quick check for updates when it starts.

Ah thanks, think i got that confused yea.

So i downloaded MS .net4.5 fresh and installed it and Parsec still does not start. It opens a window checking for updates i presume, then just closes. No error, no nothing.

Ah thanks, think i got that confused yea.

So i downloaded MS .net4.5 fresh and installed it and Parsec still does not start. It opens a window checking for updates i presume, then just closes. No error, no nothing.

Are you sure the program is not open and stuck off screen? You can check the task manager and see if it running. Either way send me an email support @ parsecparser . Com and i can help you work through it.

Been getting this error

ERROR SUMMARY

Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.

* Activation of https://parsec.codeplex.com/releases/clickOnce/ParsecClient.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:

+ Exception occurred loading manifest from file ParsecClient.exe: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened.

+ File ParsecClient.exe is not a valid Portable Executable (PE) file.

+ Could not find file 'C:\Users\Paowee\AppData\Local\Temp\Deployment\P5WYPJCA.QCA\HKN168QL.KPO\ParsecClient.exe'.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY

No transaction error was detected.

Happened right after I downloaded the new latest release..

I uninstsalled it and when I try to download from the website it says

Cannot start application, unable to retrieve application files. files corrupt in deployment
Edited by paowee

Been getting this error

Happened right after I downloaded the new latest release..

I uninstsalled it and when I try to download from the website it says

Can you try again? I think codeplex was having some issues. After i uploaded the release it took a looooong time to contact the update server.

I have a question for ya Docmal, why is it that there is a new update almost everyday and every update is almost 40MB, I haven't been able to find a change log either.

It isn't actually 40mb... The stupid clickonce auto update shows the total download size of the entire app even though it only downloads the files it needs to update. The actual downloads are < 5mb.

The changes in each release are published on the Parsec codeplex website here. You can click on each release number and view the patch notes.

Edited by Docmal

Hallo and thanks for doing this huge work on a parser.

I have a question which I could not find answered in this thread though.

1. In a Raid setting - will I be able to see all raidmembers dps on a fight, or do all members of the raid need to install "Parsec" to display their individual damage for me to see ?

I´m asking because im used to a "recount" a WoW parser which displays all damage from each raidmember.

Best regards and thanks in advance.

Hallo and thanks for doing this huge work on a parser.

I have a question which I could not find answered in this thread though.

1. In a Raid setting - will I be able to see all raidmembers dps on a fight, or do all members of the raid need to install "Parsec" to display their individual damage for me to see ?

I´m asking because im used to a "recount" a WoW parser which displays all damage from each raidmember.

Best regards and thanks in advance.

You can only view dps for other raid members if they are also running Parsec. The log file that SWTOR generates on your computer only contains actions that you do or actions that otherwise affect you (like if another member heals you). So it is currently impossible for parsers to get dps for a whole raid group unless all members run the same program and sync the data between them. This is true for all parsers, not only Parsec.

You can only view dps for other raid members if they are also running Parsec. The log file that SWTOR generates on your computer only contains actions that you do or actions that otherwise affect you (like if another member heals you). So it is currently impossible for parsers to get dps for a whole raid group unless all members run the same program and sync the data between them. This is true for all parsers, not only Parsec.

Hallo.

Thanks alot for this information, just what I needed answered.

Best regards.

Myself and my guild are really loving your parser but we seem to almost always get a busy message when trying to connect recently.

Are you a victim of your own success and planning to increase the amount of connections allowed at some point? :D

Myself and my guild are really loving your parser but we seem to almost always get a busy message when trying to connect recently.

Are you a victim of your own success and planning to increase the amount of connections allowed at some point? :D

I have been focusing on this problem for the past week or so and am working several angles. My hosting provider for the service wants me to upgrade to a plan that costs 4x as much as what I have now. I am trying to get them to hike the cap up for peak times but I am not hopeful.

I am also looking at re-architect the raid service to some sort of peer to peer and client-server hybrid.

Regardless of the solution I plan to have something in place by next week.