Mouse Issues

Darant

HI Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here could help me.

I have a L.Selectron Thundertank Sidewinder 5 button mouse (which is basically a cheap version of the Microsoft Sidewinder 5 button mouse).

Now my issue is that I am completely unable to bind my 2 side buttons to SHIFT and CTRL and get SW:ToR to recognise them (I can get SW:ToR to recognise the buttons as mouse 4 and mouse 5 however).

I think this may be because the mouse itself does not have any drivers to set the additional buttons within Windows. I have tried all the official MS Sidewinder drivers but they do not recognise the mouse (no surprise there as its not a MS mouse, even though it looks 100% identical). As such I am using X-Mouse Button Control software.

Within this software I have set mouse 4 to SHIFT and mouse 5 to CTRL and this works in other applications, but just not in SW:ToR.

As such does anyone know the exact settings within X-Mouse Button Control to get this to work in SW:ToR?

I have tried everything I can think of, and the only issue I can think that could cause this is 'Anti-Cheat' software running within SW:ToR as the X-Mouse Button Control software uses 'Simulated Key Presses' for SHIFT and CTRL

This is really affecting my gameplay, as I dont have ninja chimp hands that can press SHIFT or CTRL on the keyboard at the same time as a number key :(

Thanks in advance

A couple of things you can try:

1. Have you tried launching your X Mouse Button control software with Administrator Priveledges prior to launching SWTOR ?

2. Do you run SWtor in XP compatability Mode ? - if so, try removing that and launch the game to see if your 'keystroke' settings are now being picked up.

P.S. Most 3rd party Mouse control software (logitech etc) provides the option to use that s/w setting during games (i.e. override the 'default' MS Mouse settings) - does your X Mouse Button control software have that sort of option?

Edited by Khillian

Thanks for the reply...

Ive tried running SW:ToR as admin only, X-Mouse as admin only, and both applications as admin.

I have also tried running SW:ToR and then launching X-Mouse, and running X-Mouse and then launching SW:ToR

I dont have SW:ToR set to XP compatibility mode.

Its really odd as it seems only SW:ToR that has this issue, all other applications I try are quite happy with mouse 4 as SHIFT and mouse 5 as CTRL. Admitedly I have not tried any other MMO's as SW:ToR is the only one I am playing at the moment.

P.S. Most 3rd party Mouse control software (logitech etc) provides the option to use that s/w setting during games (i.e. override the 'default' MS Mouse settings) - does your X Mouse Button control software have that sort of option?
Well you have to set 'profiles' within X-Mouse that only apply when an application is running. I have tested SW:ToR in windowed mode so I could see the X-Mouse interface whilst testing, and X-Mouse is loading the 'profile' correctly and showing me exactly what mouse button I'm pressing. SW:ToR just seems to completely ignore it.

I still wonder if the 'cheat dectection' within SW:ToR is blocking something due to the simulated key press, but no answer on this from a CSR, and they moved this topic from Support into New Users.

I'll download AutoHotKey this evening and see if I can get that to work, but to be honest I'm not hopefull.

Thanks again

Edited by Darant

TC, I had very similar issues with my Logitech G110 keyboard. Every game allowed me to make saves and changes but the keyboard was completetly useless in SWTOR. Apparently there are some compatability issues with older hardware/software and the newer SWTOR release. My solution was to just go to the Logitech website and download their latest software for my keyboard which completely fixed my problem. I'm sure whoever manafactures your mouse has someting similar and I would check it out. Edited by Plainbagel

Thanks for the reply.

I think that may well be the crux of the issue unfortunately because there are no specific drivers for my mouse that I can find, and as such I have resorted to using X-Mouse Button Controls which is a third party application (and works for everything Ive tried but SW:ToR)

Every Google search for my mouse drivers just gives me hits for the official MS Sidewinder drivers which dont work with my mouse.

Just in case anyone is interested this is my mouse..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2400DPI-ThunderTank-Sidewinder-6Buttons-Gaming-Mouse-UK-/180539214259?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_JoysticksJoypadsGamepads&hash=item2a08f9c9b3

Thanks

Edited by Darant

Yea I tried to search for something to help but I can't even read the name of the company that manafactures this mouse. It's an Asian company called LSelectron or something of that nature and most of the box is in Asian. Not sure if there's even software associated with this mouse or all settings are built in by default. I think next time you should shell out a bit more for a Logitech or a Razer or something. You'll pay a bit more but you'll end up with an overall better product that also includes customer service. Edited by Plainbagel

Thanks for the reply again plainbagel.

Unfortunately I''d have to agree and just accept the fact that the extra buttons cannot be programed for use as modifier keys in SW:ToR despite being able to in other applications.

I certainly however will not be buying a different mouse just for SW:ToR, considering the mouse is perfectly fine for everything else.

Thanks for trying to help though. +1 internets to you :D