Game keeps crashing is this the problem?

OceanicTR

Hi guys

Sorry to keep chucking posts up but I have just found the spec to my laptop it is......

Make Hewlett Packard

Model hp pavilion dv7 notebook pc

Processor. Intel core 2 duo CPU p8600 @2.40GHz

Memory. 4.00 GB

System type. 32 bit operating system

The game only runs for a few minutes then just crashes. Just wanted some quick advice as the spec looks like a load of random numbers n letters to me. And I don't want to buy a new lap top if I don't have to.

Thanks

Funny as I have a very similar hp dv series laptop, and yesterday had some random crashes. Game is usually stable for me, though.

Don't suppose you can include your graphics card specs?

Do you run a lot of background programs? What antivirus do you use?

When the game is running, what kind of framerate are you getting? (shift+ctrl+f to display frame rate in lower left corner). If it's a low number, like consistently less than 20, try turning down your graphics settings. I have most of mine set at Low and the plant sliders set at 20%

FYI: a 32-bit OS is fundamentally unable to use all 4GB of your RAM. It uses most of it but not all. A 64-bit OS would be able to take full advantage however.

Edited by LarryRow

I don't really know how to find all that but here's what I got.

Graphics card is"..........vnvidia pure video HD (all I can see on the sticker)

Background program's. No I don't run anything I intact have turned off even Skype

My anti virus is norton 360

And my fram rate is running at. 15 fps

Don't know if this is a factor but I do live in Dubai and am obviously on the European servers? Though I play planetside and wow just fine.

Thanks so much for your help btw. I know nothing about pc's just that I like gaming on them :)

It looks like your other thread is seeing more replies, but I'll add some more info for ya. You really need to know how much video ram your graphics card has, because swtor has a minimum of 256mb (if i recall correctly) Check this by going to Start->Run and typing dxdiag. It will be on one of the tabs.

Also, Norton is notoriously resource hungry. Consider switching to AVG Free. I use it and it's pretty good at keeping my computer safe. At the very least, totally shut down Norton (alt+ctrl+del and close all Norton tasks) and run AVG while playing swtor.

Before you do any of this though, consider the following: as a new player, you are probably on the starting planet, right? That 15 frames per second is going to go way down on the fleet and in Warzones, making the game all but unplayable. You will get more enjoyment out of your playtime and save yourself a lot of frustration if you get a new rig. Maybe a desktop with a dedicated graphics card, since your laptop is still quite useful for portable productivity.

There are more fixes on the way for these crashing issues, the only things you can do to try to correct it yourself is to make sure your video card drivers are up to date, make sure everything is up to spec for the game, and to do regular maintance on your computer (virus scans, disk defragments, and error checking program for corrupted files). Edited by JediMasterBurst

It looks like your other thread is seeing more replies, but I'll add some more info for ya. You really need to know how much video ram your graphics card has, because swtor has a minimum of 256mb (if i recall correctly) Check this by going to Start->Run and typing dxdiag. It will be on one of the tabs.

Also, Norton is notoriously resource hungry. Consider switching to AVG Free. I use it and it's pretty good at keeping my computer safe. At the very least, totally shut down Norton (alt+ctrl+del and close all Norton tasks) and run AVG while playing swtor.

Before you do any of this though, consider the following: as a new player, you are probably on the starting planet, right? That 15 frames per second is going to go way down on the fleet and in Warzones, making the game all but unplayable. You will get more enjoyment out of your playtime and save yourself a lot of frustration if you get a new rig. Maybe a desktop with a dedicated graphics card, since your laptop is still quite useful for portable productivity.

I would not install a second anti-virus on to your computer, it will cause some program conflicting issues. If your getting low frame rate, turn shadows and Anti-aliasing to low or off. Those two settings tend to affect frame rates.

Thanks again guys, looks like I'll be going shopping for a new bit of kit. Really apricate all your advice. I noticed virgin here are doing the new Alan ware laptops what for what I've read this should do the business I think it's the MX15 again don't know what's in it but it sounds and looks on YouTube v impressive

Lol no to tell my wife ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Man get a desktop you can keep replacing parts as needed where as with a laptop ya get what ya get and no upgrading except ram and hd id check out tnewegg or ibuypower.com i have the erebus from ibuypower and for its specs it was a steal at 1400.