Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

More rewards for tanks and healers

Caelrie
05.08.2013 , 05:51 PM | #1
Steal this idea from World of Warcraft, please. When the queue detects a shortage of tanks or healers, it offers extra rewards for performing those roles at the end of a dungeon. It WORKED. It lowered everyone's queue times dramatically (from 2 hours to 10-15 minutes for DPS) because tanks and healers WANTED to queue for random dungeons.

The same thing could be done in TOR. Give them better comms, or more comms, or lots more money, anything. Get tanks and healers queuing!

P.S. Before anyone tells me to just roll a tank or healer, I'm almost always the healer. Sometimes I want to DPS though.

Edit: based on thread feedback, a small amount of cartel coins is a popular idea for one of the rewards, perhaps 5 or 10 coins per completion using the groupfinder.

JCDenton
05.08.2013 , 11:10 PM | #2
Seconded. I don't care for grouping, but anything that results in people being able to play how they wish and not how they're more or less required to is a good thing.

Shingara
05.08.2013 , 11:13 PM | #3
I only have one question really, how do the tanks and healers know there is extra rewards up for grabs or is it simply take a stab and see.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Caelrie
05.08.2013 , 11:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
I only have one question really, how do the tanks and healers know there is extra rewards up for grabs or is it simply take a stab and see.
In WoW, where it shows the rewards you'll get for using the group-finder, there's an extra box that shows if there's an extra reward based on role shortage. So you always know for sure.

So if you're a tank or healer and you open the groupfinder, you can see before even queuing if there's that extra reward waiting for you at the end. Then you can choose to queue or not based on that.

Shingara
05.08.2013 , 11:52 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
In WoW, where it shows the rewards you'll get for using the group-finder, there's an extra box that shows if there's an extra reward based on role shortage. So you always know for sure.
On the flip side wouldnt that make tanks and healers not do the group finder unless the rewards were there.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Caelrie
05.08.2013 , 11:54 PM | #6
On the flip side wouldnt that make tanks and healers not do the group finder unless the rewards were there.
The only time the reward isn't there is when there are enough tanks and healers already. So it's pretty self-correcting. In practice it ended up with the reward for tanks being there 100% of the time, reward for healers about 60% of the time, and I'm not sure I ever saw a reward for DPS. That last could happen, but there'd need to be a shortage of DPS first.

Shingara
05.08.2013 , 11:55 PM | #7
The only time the reward isn't there is when there are enough tanks and healers already. So it's pretty self-correcting.
Not if the tanks and healers refuse to q until the reward is there so infact wouldnt it create a shortage until the reward was there. tanks and healers join the q when reward is there, reward then goes until the demand is back and the tanks and healers then wait again until the reward is available.

Caelrie
05.09.2013 , 12:01 AM | #8
Not if the tanks and healers refuse to q until the reward is there so infact wouldnt it create a shortage until the reward was there. tanks and healers join the q when reward is there, reward then goes until the demand is back and the tanks and healers then wait again until the reward is available.
I never saw a time when that happened. The reward for tanks was there all the time. And healers queued even without it. If it DID happen, it just means a couple extra minutes til the rewards pop up and then you get your healers and tanks. Problem solved.

Shingara
05.09.2013 , 12:39 AM | #9
I never saw a time when that happened. The reward for tanks was there all the time. And healers queued even without it. If it DID happen, it just means a couple extra minutes til the rewards pop up and then you get your healers and tanks. Problem solved.
If the rewards were always there then how do you know it worked more then if there were no rewards at all ?
And if as you state the reward was always up and or not gone for long doesnt that suggest they were working the system todo that.

mithriltabby
05.09.2013 , 12:45 AM | #10
Why not generalize it? Make rewards available for any shortage— not just roles (including DPS, if you wind up with a shortage!), but the adventures as well. Normally I don’t queue for the planetary heroics, but if I saw little haloes around their checkboxes indicating that there was a nice bonus, I might be more interested.

It would also be interesting to see the statistics of how often the rewards are getting handed out for various things. If it looks like there’s a chronic shortage, it might be worthwhile to respec a character into a different role.

I doubt there would be much minmaxing because checking the queues all the time would be boring; why not just go on two adventures?