Calculated CC statistics after the 1.4 resolve change

BingoLarsson

The forum has been filled with QQ about the resolve change in 1.4 and how the game has become a stun fest. I agree in that somewhat, so I decided to check how much the CC has changed after the changes the way resolve is built in 1.4. So I spend a day creating a parser, which checks the duration of all crowd control effects, separated by slows, stuns and roots. The sample size is still quite small for 1.4, only 46 matches. I compared those to 96 warzones I played just before 1.4 was released.

Here is the summary of the results:

>1.4

• Stunned 5,29%
  • Slowed 14,54%
  • Rooted 2,55%
  • Total CC 22,38%

<1.4

• Stunned 2,91%
  • Slowed 10,96%
  • Rooted 3,03%
  • Total CC 16,90%

Percentage is calculated how much do you spend time under the certain CC effect related to the WZ duration. So basically it confirms that you spend quite a lot of time under some kind of CC. As a melee character, stuns and roots are quite an annoyance. The game had quite a lot of CC even before 1.4 and now the overlap mechanism is just helping the non-organized CC spam. Huttball is great example, you have no chance of getting over firepits if you have 0 resolve even with stun breakers on CD. Naturally the solution is to pass the ball more, but with normal wzs coordination is pretty difficult.

If you are interested, you can find the stats I used to calculate the percentages from the Google spreadsheet below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvbiyyXbgaiQdGVaa3k5VldWZVpIaG5EcjdVZDNUWEE

I've had a large survivability boost post 1.4 on my sage hybrid healer, directly connected to the resolve changes and the buff on the bubble blind. It may be inconvenient or "unfun" for DPS classes to be CC'ed more, but considering the increased amount of time I spent behind a respawn wall from 1.2 until 1.4, I think you guys will manage..

Adapt to it. Let Bioware look at the CC breaker cooldown, perhaps give them time to tweak the resolve again, and everyone might end up happy.

The biggest problem with the changes to the 1.4 resolve system is that it is now easier to become 'stunlocked'. The way Resolve used to work, chain stuns could only lock you out of combat for 6 seconds, due to overlapping Resolve builders. Now, you can effectively be chain stunned for 8 seconds. Your data does not reflect that.

Roots, and especially slows are not really what everyone is complaining about. Every AC has some sort of slow built into their attacks, and these don't have any influence on Resolve in the first place. Players expect to be slowed.

I also think your sampling is ridiculously small, especially for 1.4. And I don't see any mention of what class you play. These numbers seem awfully low for anyone playing a melee class.

Edited by TheronFett

Troublesome numbers. I too feel a noticeable increase in the amount of time I spend CC'ed and its good to see some numbers that reflect it. For me personally, yes I've adapted to the situation (no other choice) but it does make PvP less enjoyable. I feel they should increase the duration of build up resolve before it dissipates to compensate for these changes.

The biggest problem with the changes to the 1.4 resolve system is that it is now easier to become 'stunlocked'. The way Resolve used to work, chain stuns could only lock you out of combat for 6 seconds, due to overlapping Resolve builders. Now, you can effectively be chain stunned for 8 seconds. Your data does not reflect that.

Good point, but I can just parse what was available in the combat logs. I do not have any information about the characters resolve there, so I can only calculate the time difference between the start and end of an CC ability. But since the percentage of times has gone up in average, I would assume that the overlap mechanics checks if an existing CC of the same kind is already applied. If yes, it does not apply at all or possibly shortens the duration. I might have to try to test this scenario, throwing multiple CC's at once and see how the overlapping ends up in the combat logs.

Roots, and especially slows are not really what everyone is complaining about. Every AC has some sort of slow built into their attacks, and these don't have any influence on Resolve in the first place. Players expect to be slowed.

For melee characters slows and root are quite a hinder. Imagine slowed or rooted with only few ranged attacks. I play a marauder myself, so basically Force Scream is the only good option. And it is crap on all other specs than carnage. I have already noticed a big difference in 1.4 when playing Annihilation. Because of all the stuns now, it is pretty much squishy as the other specs. If you are stun locked and there are two or three dpsing you, nothing you can do about it.

I also think your sampling is ridiculously small, especially for 1.4. And I don't see any mention of what class you play. These numbers seem awfully low for anyone playing a melee class.

I am already fully min/maxed marauder with the new Elite WH weapons, so I do not have much of an incentive to play PvP at the moment. And the 1.4 has been out, what ten days? Please cut me some slack :)

I pretty much hate playing my melee classes after 1.4. The amount of time I spend CC'd anymore is sad, and being as squishy as I am without my defensive cooldown's ( Cant pop when stunned ), I just die allot. My damage and usefulness for WZ's is gone.

Seems like the issue is much worse because of allot of changes in 1.4, rage buff created more jugs and marauders out there spamming their 4 sec stun, then trying to kill Sorc/Sage healers and being stunned by their bubble. I end up stunned or dead more than anything.

It wouldn't be so bad if pugs would better coordinate, and didn't attack the tanks leaving me the only one on the sorc healer or even used their own stuns.

Edited by SyphonSith

I had a feeling those stats were on a melee. As you do not benefit from the range reduction on stuns. I also notice it when I play my marauder, but on my merc its the opposite in that I feel like I am being stunned signifcantly less after 1.4. This tool could be handy though with enough results and classes parsed. Edited by Draekos

Troublesome numbers. I too feel a noticeable increase in the amount of time I spend CC'ed and its good to see some numbers that reflect it. For me personally, yes I've adapted to the situation (no other choice) but it does make PvP less enjoyable. I feel they should increase the duration of build up resolve before it dissipates to compensate for these changes.

or how about, since you're usually DEAD by the time resolve fills, it doesn't start ticking or go away until you enter back into combat.

no. that will never work. BW hasn't figured out how to get rid of periodic dmg *after you respawn*. there's no way they'd figure out the code for this. :rolleyes:

Personally... I think there were two reasons behind the changed to resolve.

1. For all the reasons the devs have posted about with the effect being that its easier for solo que'ers not to white bar ppl as fast since those teams are disorganized for the most part.

2. its a secret nerf to melee classes that have been complained about for months because a lot of more casual players have not adapted to how to counter those classes. Now they can have more control over them because its much easier to stun lock them and shut them down.... even for a group of pugs with recruit gear.

I think you all got the nerf to marauders/sents you've been wanting... however indirectly.

Personally... I think there were two reasons behind the changed to resolve.

1. For all the reasons the devs have posted about with the effect being that its easier for solo que'ers not to white bar ppl as fast since those teams are disorganized for the most part.

2. its a secret nerf to melee classes that have been complained about for months because a lot of more casual players have not adapted to how to counter those classes. Now they can have more control over them because its much easier to stun lock them and shut them down.... even for a group of pugs with recruit gear.

I think you all got the nerf to marauders/sents you've been wanting... however indirectly.

I'd have to agree, sadly.