Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ask Elrathion

Cempa
03.18.2012 , 12:19 AM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Iwillbewise View Post
How can a long time pve player learn to pvp from scratch? How do I learn pvp type movement, control, etc, and which is most important to focus on first? (Currently I use keybindings but mostly move with the mouse and auto run.)
Start an alt same AC and PvP! Sorcerer/Sage get most of the key talents early -especially if you spec hybrid which is the best PvP build now and after 1.2.

Elrathion
03.18.2012 , 01:34 PM | #172
Over the course of the next weeks I`ll be trying some specs solo queue and premade to test its effectiveness POST 1.2. I dont account for the small loss in damage with the balance tree small nerfs. The rule is not to abuse your project to cast wave.\

This is the first spec I`m trying:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...dRzZcMfRsMkz.1

After testing:

In PUG`s averaging about 400-500k damage with a little heal. In Premades the effective kills and damage really drops because everyone targets me and my dots get perma dispelled.

Elrathion
03.18.2012 , 04:30 PM | #173
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...Rd0zZcMcRsMz.1

This build turns out to be amazingly good even post patch. Great CC great interrupt, nice healing potential and damage.

Game of testing:

Voidstar, PUG: damage 420k, healing done: 130k, 1 minute left on the clock win. Overal, seems very viable to play post 1.2

Elrathion
03.18.2012 , 04:37 PM | #174
Quote: Originally Posted by Iwillbewise View Post
How can a long time pve player learn to pvp from scratch? How do I learn pvp type movement, control, etc, and which is most important to focus on first? (Currently I use keybindings but mostly move with the mouse and auto run.)
Learn by getting out there. Don`t be afraid to get embarassed. I remember running in the same sith 10x and losing when I just started, only to finally nail what I did wrong and wreck him over and over.

Read the forums alot, get the right spec, the right rotations, the right mods, enhancements, ... Experiment, try builds out, learn the cooldowns of yourself and others, learn what to interrupt, ...

alphaboss
03.19.2012 , 12:03 PM | #175
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrathion View Post
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#60...Rd0zZcMcRsMz.1

This build turns out to be amazingly good even post patch. Great CC great interrupt, nice healing potential and damage.

Game of testing:

Voidstar, PUG: damage 420k, healing done: 130k, 1 minute left on the clock win. Overal, seems very viable to play post 1.2
I do see that you're taking TK Wave and Tidal force still. This was something I considered after seeing the 1.2 patch notes, simply inserting disturbance into the rotation whenever I had a PoM proc and MC was on CD (when I normally would have inserted TK Wave), and then using TK Wave whenever TF procced. Is this what you do with that particular spec, or does it use a different play style altogether?

Have really loved reading through this thread BTW.

chrisronline
03.19.2012 , 01:58 PM | #176
What are your thoughts on the viability of DPS sages in a competitive PvP WZ? What support classes do we need to remain competitive? Which spec offers the most survivability when focused by melee? Should the sages that want to participate and contribute in a competitive PvP environment suck it up and start healing?

I haven't participated in 50 PvP yet so I don't know how often sages are focused versus other classes; at < 50, I'm mostly left alone which gives me a skewed perspective on which spec is better.
Pew Pew

Elrathion
03.19.2012 , 08:32 PM | #177
Quote: Originally Posted by alphaboss View Post
I do see that you're taking TK Wave and Tidal force still. This was something I considered after seeing the 1.2 patch notes, simply inserting disturbance into the rotation whenever I had a PoM proc and MC was on CD (when I normally would have inserted TK Wave), and then using TK Wave whenever TF procced. Is this what you do with that particular spec, or does it use a different play style altogether?

Have really loved reading through this thread BTW.
Hey. Thank you. I`m happy you enjoy my support to the sage community.

Yes that`s pretty much the idea. The build I listed is not the highest dps spec out there, but I feel it does enough damage in relation to it`s utility. Every game I have over 100k effective healing (no noble sacrifise, aoe overheal, rejuv overheal), and often getting to the 200k`s, and usually i get between 200-400k damage w this spec. This is playing it post 1.2 style.

So overall no panic guys, we`ll be fine. Ofcourse winning 1v1`s or 2v1`s (my favorite activity in PUG WZ`s) is becoming alot harder.

Elrathion
03.19.2012 , 08:41 PM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by chrisronline View Post
What are your thoughts on the viability of DPS sages in a competitive PvP WZ? What support classes do we need to remain competitive? Which spec offers the most survivability when focused by melee? Should the sages that want to participate and contribute in a competitive PvP environment suck it up and start healing?

I haven't participated in 50 PvP yet so I don't know how often sages are focused versus other classes; at < 50, I'm mostly left alone which gives me a skewed perspective on which spec is better.
Personally i think there are many classes that can pull off equal or better effective dps, but few classes have the unique ability to go ahead and throw a 3k+ shield out there and continue to merry dps. Combine that with being able to interrupt from a beautiful range, uber dispell ability, great CC and nice damage, and you have a winner. I dont think the inflated aoe damage numbers is what made our class great in the first place, and yes the TK wave does hurt, but we can survive without it.

Don`t forget other classes got nerfed too, so that will help.

I personally think EVERY sage should HEAL otherwise they suck. I dont mean that you should be heal spec, but if you don`t use your heals on a frequent basis you don`t have a place in competitive pvp. I average 1 death per warzone for a reason...

Get level 50, get out there, try different specs, duel alot. No amount of reading can substitute this. Combine your experience with the experience of players like me down here, and I think you`ll become a really good addition to any team.

elvavwiel
03.20.2012 , 11:47 AM | #179
Just want to point out something that most people tend to forget: force quake also triggers tidal force. While not all maps/situations allow for using force quake, if theres multiple people huddled together (gates, objectives) doing a force quake for a second or 2 might also give you insta cast tk wave.
Isra ~ 60 Sage: Jack of all trades, master of none.

JHAT
03.20.2012 , 01:15 PM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by Elrathion View Post
Personally i think there are many classes that can pull off equal or better effective dps, but few classes have the unique ability to go ahead and throw a 3k+ shield out there and continue to merry dps. Combine that with being able to interrupt from a beautiful range, uber dispell ability, great CC and nice damage, and you have a winner. I dont think the inflated aoe damage numbers is what made our class great in the first place, and yes the TK wave does hurt, but we can survive without it.

Don`t forget other classes got nerfed too, so that will help.

I personally think EVERY sage should HEAL otherwise they suck. I dont mean that you should be heal spec, but if you don`t use your heals on a frequent basis you don`t have a place in competitive pvp. I average 1 death per warzone for a reason...

Get level 50, get out there, try different specs, duel alot. No amount of reading can substitute this. Combine your experience with the experience of players like me down here, and I think you`ll become a really good addition to any team.
Hey Elrathion, I follow this thread pretty closely and I have a couple of questions for you. First, which class do you think will consistently carry ranked WZs in 1.2? And, more on frequently healing as you said in this post. Do you mean running away to heal and re-engage or throwing out heals on teammates?