Qyzen Fess sucks!

Gihl

1) No decent Techblades unless you, or someone you know does Armstech crafting!

2) No Orange, moddable Techblades anywhere, whereas ALL other weapon classes are available with Coruscant Commendations!

3) Takes longer than any other companion to actually start attacking a target after giving the 'attack target command!'

4) (As with many other companions), will do nothing if commanded to attack a target through a door or hallway that leads to a different map!

5) Often breaks crowd control even when his AE skill is turned off!

6) Takes too long to get your next companion!

If you are going to drastically change a major gameplay mechanic shortly before release, you better make damn sure you change loot tables and quest rewards to adequately support those changes!

You need to be more forthcoming with what you are working on and what to expect in upcoming patches. You have FAR less classes and skills than any other MMORPG of this calibur in the last 5 years, which means alot less need for class balancing. But since you are forcing players to use this Companion mechanic (with no choice of companions outside what our base class is given), you really need to make sure its damn solid.

-Gihl

P.S. in those guides I've read that include suggestions for what crafting skill to go with, ALL of them recommend NOT taking Armstech.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qyzen is fine, especially if you're healer specced.

/agree.

Its easy to get techblades for him at any weapon vendor (if you don't get a drop for him).

You are leveling up, so just put fresh green gear on him regularly and he is a fine tank. Orange gear is more trouble then it is worth for a companion while leveling.

As for the control issues identified by OP, I have not found this to be any real problem. Learn to play nicely within the known constraints of our companion, IMO.

Qyzen is fine, especially if you're healer specced.

^^ This.

I love Qyzen and have been using him up through level 31 now with great success. He's even been able to sub in for a tank for a couple flashpoints if we ended up losing a tank temporarily or at the last minute. I can always easily take down gold-level elite mobs up to 1-2 levels higher then me as long as I keep up with upgrading his gear on an equal level with my sage (specced with all points in healing), leaning towards higher endurance and defense stats instead of aim and offense stats (don't even bother looking at the 'color' of an item. My Qyzen is mostly in greens right now and he's doing great.)

That having been said, he does have a couple strange issues like the time it takes for him to respond to some commands, and some strange pathing issues at times. I've seen issues like this with every artificial AI NPC in every game I play though so it's hardly news to me, nor is it something I expect Bioware to fix soon since it appears to be a general limitation with any NPC that can't think and learn for themselves. Just keeping things in context here when I say that's not my issue with Qyzen. That's with all AI in general, from SWTOR companions to Skyrim companions to Yoshi in Super Mario. I think Qyzen is as good as it gets for a healer. :p

Edited by Chaizen

2) No Orange, moddable Techblades anywhere, whereas ALL other weapon classes are available with Coruscant Commendations!

3) Takes longer than any other companion to actually start attacking a target after giving the 'attack target command!'

4) (As with many other companions), will do nothing if commanded to attack a target through a door or hallway that leads to a different map!

If you are going to drastically change a major gameplay mechanic shortly before release, you better make damn sure you change loot tables and quest rewards to adequately support those changes!

You need to be more forthcoming with what you are working on and what to expect in upcoming patches. You have FAR less classes and skills than any other MMORPG of this calibur in the last 5 years, which means alot less need for class balancing. But since you are forcing players to use this Companion mechanic (with no choice of companions outside what our base class is given), you really need to make sure its damn solid.

-Gihl

P.S. in those guides I've read that include suggestions for what crafting skill to go with, ALL of them recommend NOT taking Armstech.

Totally unequivocally disagree !!!

Ok here goes qyzen is a melee companion tank type why is his weapon and armor aim and endurance when it should be str and end.I know he was ranged at one time but come on time to change his stuff back.I have been putting str gear on him and he is way better but his weapons ate still aim so i cant do anything about that.

Ok here goes qyzen is a melee companion tank type why is his weapon and armor aim and endurance when it should be str and end.I know he was ranged at one time but come on time to change his stuff back.I have been putting str gear on him and he is way better but his weapons ate still aim so i cant do anything about that.

I really hope they hurry up and bring back the Search function so I can stop answering this question.

There are only two types of Heavy Armor. Jedi Knight armor with str/end and Trooper armor with Aim/End.

The Devs didn't want Fess running around dressed as a Jedi so his primary stat was left as AIM.

If you stack Str instead of Aim you will gimp his abilities as they all rely on Tech, which is only improved by the Aim stat.

As for the OP, while all true on some level, Fess is not the only companion to have these issues, he is not the only companion to use Techblades, and he is perfectly fine for levelling with. Evidenced by the many, many people who have done so.

I love Qyzen and I'm an Infiltration Shadow. Against stronger enemies when his health is low I'll taunt, and when I time it right we trade taunts to spread the damage around. I've got a couple of moddable pieces for him. The only problem I have is is I'll pull aggro on longer fights.

At least he doesn't have a hologirlfriend he can spam every 5 seconds.

suck it up, I'd rather deal with a bad lizard tank than a healer who'd rather stare at a holograph and think he's helping. Not to mention the endless whining and cynicism, and losing affection any time you mention the force. With Qyzen you just gotta act tough to get affection, and pretend your some herald or something...

Interesting the drastic differences in opinion.

I tried using my other companions, but the fastest and most efficiently I could kill mobs was with Qyzen until I got my last companion. I'm heal-specced, and I think that's the difference. If I was another spec, I imagine one of the other companions would have been better. (And I almost want to spec dps just to see how quickly me and Companion #5 kill things :D)

There's a lot of hate for the lizard, yeah, but I've used him all the way to level 40 and he tanks like a champ for me. I also kill most efficiently with him in combination with forcequake on normal mobs; on elites, he's tough enough to take the hits and I keep him healed up.

I may switch to the LT -- he's also a tank. None of the other companions do a thing for me. I need a tank to level the way I like to level as a hybrid seer/TK. I've tried the other guys, and they all suck and simply are not suited to my toolset. I don't need another healer, and a dps toon means I do much of the tanking, and both make killing stuff slower.

Edited by Deedre

I really hope they hurry up and bring back the Search function so I can stop answering this question.

There are only two types of Heavy Armor. Jedi Knight armor with str/end and Trooper armor with Aim/End.

The Devs didn't want Fess running around dressed as a Jedi so his primary stat was left as AIM.

If you stack Str instead of Aim you will gimp his abilities as they all rely on Tech, which is only improved by the Aim stat.

As for the OP, while all true on some level, Fess is not the only companion to have these issues, he is not the only companion to use Techblades, and he is perfectly fine for levelling with. Evidenced by the many, many people who have done so.

Wow, someone with reason ...

I'm a Tele Sage, I bought Qyzen mod-able armor in my mid 20s and fully geared him with End/Aim (bought armor slots as I could afford it from the auction house). Right away I could notice a huge difference with his tanking ability. Yeah, money was tight because it's expensive to gear up two characters as you level, but it was well worth it.

Any elite since lvl 25 or so has been a cinch. Just have Qyzen attack the elite mob, and dps and watch his health, at about when Qyzen hits 40% HPs just start healing him and the mob will go down. Many fights I didn't have to heal him because the elite mob died when Qyzen at 15-20% HPs.

At lvl 37 Qyzen is running around with 9700 HPs or so. I don't know how other 37 sages do when I mouse over their Qyzen and their companion only has like 7000 HPs

I'm a Tele Sage, I bought Qyzen mod-able armor in my mid 20s and fully geared him with End/Aim (bought armor slots as I could afford it from the auction house). Right away I could notice a huge difference with his tanking ability. Yeah, money was tight because it's expensive to gear up two characters as you level, but it was well worth it.

Any elite since lvl 25 or so has been a cinch. Just have Qyzen attack the elite mob, and dps and watch his health, at about when Qyzen hits 40% HPs just start healing him and the mob will go down. Many fights I didn't have to heal him because the elite mob died when Qyzen at 15-20% HPs.

At lvl 37 Qyzen is running around with 9700 HPs or so. I don't know how other 37 sages do when I mouse over their Qyzen and their companion only has like 7000 HPs

Because they are able to fry most mobs in the time it takes him to even reach his target.

I'm thinking most everyone that says he is fine fits into 1 of 2 categories.

1) healers

2) low level

While you may say "well at higher levels you have other choices", and you would have a point, I would respond with "well what's the point of giving me a companion that I'm actually interested in if he just gimps my playstyle so badly?"

Leveled to 50 with Qyzen (Heal-spec). Any other companion choice as a healer spec is frankly foolish unless you enjoy dealing with pushback on your force powers. Do agree with some of the points, i.e. more techblades, would be nice if he could get engaged in the fights quicker, etc. I think his problem is that almost all his abilities are very short range, so it 'seems' like he is slower, but in reality I believe all companions would deal with this if they didn't have other long range abilities to engage quickly with.

I have never once had him break CC if I specifically disable his 2 AoE dmg abilities, or I specifically give him the attack command on a CC'd target. However, I have noticed that when you dismiss/resummon Qyzen one of his 2 AoE abilities gets turned back on so watch out for that.

Edited by pyradius

-Gihl

you went from bagging on your companion, who I totally agree with btw, to bagging on the game itself. ohhh no its such a terrible game because of ONE companion you aren't going to use after the next one anyway....ohhhhhhhh its a crisis... qq don't play the game if its so bad lol

OMG guys if you guys are that stupid to realize they made it so his AIM STAT is the equivalent to STRE STAT. its the same thing just a different name, AIM does the same thing for him as Stre would for a jedi knight. the only thing that needs to be changed is the written text. its exxactly the same, his aim stat is different the the players aim stat.

Healer perspective

Breaking CC is a real issue, sometimes a big issue. There are some work arounds, but they're pretty spotty.

His delay between command and attack is less than ideal. It gives me time to wind up a Disturbance... but the timing can be tricky... and I don't really want to lead with Disturbance.

What irritates me the most is, whenever I approach something interactive and go to right-click on it, he photo-bombs me and sticks his head under the cursor. This is probably true of all companions but worse for the taller ones following shorter player characters.

Some of his affection reactions are annoying. But he's in character as Ted Nugent/Ayn Rand/Dick Cheney. *shrug*

We're nearly 30 and I just found out a few days ago that I've been wasting my time/creds outfitting him with Strength items and mods. Argh! We've been doing fine anyway. It'll be interesting to see if Aim buffs make a noticeable difference.

I have Theran too. I kind of like him. But as my character is a healer, Qyzen is a better fit. Even as a Telekinetic or Balance build I would probably still prefer Qyzen. I can definitely see how Theran would be appealing to a Shadow.

All of the OP's complaints have merit. But severity of impact of most of them is pretty tolerable... to me. On the whole, he does not suck.